Old 10-01-2015, 03:35 AM   #1  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Default 2014 Starters - Scare away those excess pounds this October: Diet Goblins & Monsters

Happy October!!

Share some of your Dieting Goblins and Monsters. What have been some of your biggest challenges thus far? And share your successes on how you have dealt with them.

May everyone stay strong in their journey back to good health -- and keep up your "Weight Fall" this Fall.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-01-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:40 AM   #2  
Serial Dieter

Last week I had some fantastic blood work results:

- A1C dropped to 5.6 (my lowest level ever). A1C is a measure of blood sugar levels over the past 3 months. A1C levels below 5.7 shows a complete absence of diabetes or even pre-diabetes. So my blood sugar is completely healthy and normal.

- HDL (Good) Cholesterol reached 48 (my highest level ever). HDL or High Density Lipoproteins act as cholesterol scavengers, carrying excess cholesterol in your blood and blood vessels back to your liver where it's broken down. Increasing HDL cholesterol reduces your risk of heart disease.

- CRP dropped to 0.7 (my lowest level ever). CRP or C-Reactive Protein is a measure of body "Inflammation". Less inflammation means better vascular health. CRP levels less than 1.0 means you have a lower risk of cardio-vascular events (heart attacks and strokes) than the general population.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-08-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

Avalon - Congrats! that is fantastic news.... thanks for getting october started...

WI today with the new clinic....I have come to the realization that I dont like this new coach and I need to break it off LOL... I will continue to use the chiropractor, but will figure a new way to get product till my old coach is up and running. I am just not happy there and I am getting no answers or results...In fact the last 2 times I saw her I binged that same day.....
Sgrealtor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 AM   #4  
Serial Dieter

Sue, that sounds so difficult. I wonder why she causes you to binge -- have you identified the trigger?

I just started to explore these alternatives by Quest (with an order yesterday) ...
I like the nutritional numbers I am seeing on their website, hopefully I will like the taste of their products too ...
http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-bars/

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-01-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #5  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for all the kind support everyone - I am still struggling with food intake, but at least working on the mental things from a couple of perspectives.

I am listening to The Beck Solution again - such good examples of positive self talk has to be helpful right now.

I have been looking for the protocol sheet for the Alternative P1 program - does anyone have a link for it? I wonder if the slightly broader variety of foods might be helpful to me in getting back on the straight and narrow.

Chasing down what's going on with DH - new run of blood work shows his nutrition to be lacking but no red flags pointing to anything critical on that front. This week we saw the internist and have been to the imaging center for an ultrasound of abdomin and then an upper GI test. Expect to get appt with the GI doc early next week.

It really is tough to live the life of Jack Spratt's wife... He looks like he just got in from Auschwitz and I am fighting back against blowing up with regain. I made an IP compliant meatloaf yesterday (a DH fave) and am trying to keep plenty of good choices at hand for both of us. It is harder lately to pass up his snack stuff though. This time last year I could walk right by it... Ketosis is powerful that way and if I can get back to it, I know things will get easier.

Thanks for tolerating my struggle - you all are the best!

Great October thread launch Alexandra! And congrats on passing 130! You rock!

Last edited by oneuh2; 10-01-2015 at 07:51 AM.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Alexandra, great thread title and awesome results all around for you

Sue and Oneuh, we are all rooting for you to get back on track. You've both done awesome and have a lot to deal with. You both will come out of this stronger for sure.

Still doing well with my reboot, not expecting much loss for my third WI, but I have a few more days to go and might be surprised.

I hope everyone has a great day.
DeterminedDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #7  

OneUh I send you my thoughts. No matter what is happening you are persevering and "that is living life".

DD good luck with the reboot. I had my final WI yesterday, and my strongest realization was how important the help of the coach is. It's so great you are able to do that. My coach lost 50 lbs on IP herself and reboots every year or two and it is just so helpful to talk to someone that has done it and has gone through the ups and downs of it all.

Sue I hope the WI goes well today. I echo Avalon's thoughts - I wonder if it would be helpful to you to see what is bothering you so much that you have to react when you see her. I wonder if there is a deeper layer of self doubt or self judgment, that if you identify you actually could let go of in some way, or start to let go of it anyway. It might be a good key for ongoing maintenance.

I know that has been true for me since I start maintenance especially - it becomes much more of a mental challenge rather than a physical one - identifying my weaknesses and learning to make lasting changes.

Avalon congrats on everything you wrote

I'll write more about my WI over on the Maintenance thread so won't double post here.
Hope the two TXs are doing well also
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #8  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Thanks, Alexandra for the new thread. Your results continue to amaze!

Cheryl and Sue - you can do this! I don't know how to help you find that spark that you had before for staying OP, but I am wishing you well and hope you find it if that is what you want, which it seems like it is. I honestly have no idea how I almost gained back all the weight I lost when I have done P1 for about 35 out of a 52 week year. I don't wish that on anyone!!! I am in Week 7 of round 2, and I hope you can right the ship sooner than later!!! My coach gave me the Phase 4 packet on Monday, and I found it really helped me even though I am a few months out from that. Knowing what maintenance looked like compared to what I am consuming now is very appealing to me to just get through the weight loss and transition phases.
One suggestion for you, Sue...the place I go to is linked to a few others. One of the locations has a grocery store type set-up so I can go there and tell them who my coach is and get what I want without having to deal with a coach. Perhaps yours is like this or you can find one like that as a bridge until your old coach is up and running.

Amber - Congrats on your reboot!

DD - Congrats on your progress thus far!
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:26 AM   #9  

Sue, I found myself thinking about you tonight, enough to go restart my computer to type here. How did your WI go?

I’m wondering if you could talk to your old coach, and maybe use alternatives through her, or something like that. Or maybe stock up with your old coach and then just use those, and gift your old coach a $20 gift card once a week….in exchange for talking to her once a week and weighing on her bathroom scale. (By the way my clinic was at a doctor’s office and we never did anything but measure with a measuring tape and weigh - no other fancy stuff, even though their scale did it. The doctor said that extra information wasn’t really useful nor really accurate … don’t know if that’s true but it never seemed to matter to me).

Anyway part of why I was thinking about you is I noticed this tonight:
The first time I did P1, in that last 5 to 10 lbs, I started having “binges” of extra packets every three days or so. Once I started P3, basically the day I started it, that all went away, and I lost on P3. It never happened again after that - that intense need for food. I think my body was just absolutely hitting a wall, and telling me something I needed to listen to.
The same thing happened on my little 6 week reboot. I just got so hungry at the end. Granted, in those last two weeks I also dropped nearly 9 inches, but I was starving. The minute I started P3 I felt better again - my blood sugar is stable, I don’t even really need snacks. And I dropped 2 lbs.

I wondered, if you talk with your coach, if maybe because you have been on P1 so long it might be time to:
1. Go to Alt P1 like Liana needed to at the end.
2. At least add in some extra fat like an extra 2 tsp oil or 1 oz cheese or 1/4 avocado.
3. Go to P3 for 3 weeks or some pre-determined period of time and then go back to P1 or Alt P1 (you might have 3 days of ketosis, but the 2nd time for me wasn’t too bad).

Also the day I hit P3 the energy to exercise comes back right away, that happened both last time and this time.

Just some random thoughts, I am in no way an expert/coach/any kind of health practitioner of course. Just based on my own experience

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 10-03-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:58 AM   #10  
Serial Dieter

I would "second" what Amber wrote above. I have upped my caloric intake to somewhere around 1800 calories per day (I've been there for a few months now) and I am eating carbier things such as sliced carrots, green beans, zucchini, and onions -- as well as up to 4 restricted's (mostly those Cheddar Ridges) -- and I am still losing fine (just more slowly) -- maybe a pound a week or so. (However, that being said, I am taller than most and I am still "hill-walking" a good 2.5 miles a day -- which I am sure is helping).

A few other potentially helpful things: 1. Keep your water intake high (1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight per day). 2. Keep up with your vitamins. 3. Walk! (Try to do 2-3 miles a day). 4. If you are not losing, try changing something, eat less or exercise more. 5. If you ever feel like you are starving ... EAT MORE for a day or two ... then return to your old regimen. 5. If you are losing, try to keep doing the same thing (cookie cutter method) -- try to find your "weight losing zone" with your habits. I think it's just a matter of continual fine tuning until you find the right combination that works for you. We are all different.

I am rooting for you!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-03-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

You guys are awsome...

I think I have figured it out and I am seeing my old coach on Tuesday. I think I resent this new coach because she does not know my background..remember of no fault of her own she is jumping in and I am 80+pounds down already with another coach with a totally differnet style of coaching.... This new coach is all about "did you cheat?" where my old coach would never have said those words because she knew my dedication to the plan and all the circumstances surrounding my life and how I handle things.. I plan on buying my IP foods somewhere else till my old coach is back in business. I know I can do this...its just so frustrating...but I know my binge eating is not the answer. I have come so far not to quit now...

Thanks for all your suggestings and tips. I have been back on track for 1 week now. Although the scale is actually up this morning, I know I am doing the right thing and I must just contine to move forward. Planning on limiting my restricteds this week and seeing if that makes a difference. Plus this week I dont have a lot of evening committments so I should be able to eat home most nights.. the eating out is killing me but cannot be helped some times... Such is the nature of my life and that is not going to change any time soon.....

Thanks again for the advise, support...you guys are the best!
Sgrealtor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Hi Ladies,

Hope you do not mind my adding my two cents. The last 15 pounds can be the hardest. Weight loss slows down, IP diet fatigue sets in and maintenance is a scary thought looming at the end of the tunnel.

My experience:

I actually had to tighten up my 100%. More water and no eating after 8:00.

Change up your recipes. I was so bored with my "go to foods"! (In fact, I did not eat a hard boiled egg for a year after I reached maintenance.)I just now bought Janeeva's Ideal Recipes for more ideas.

Post your before picture in a place you can see it every day.

Make a list of why you want to lose the last 10-15. Is it for health? Clothes? Because it is your clinic's goal?

Celebrate your success! I rewarded my self materially,lol! In fact, I am sitting in my living room chair that I bought after losing 60 pounds. If you are struggling, take it one meal, one day at a time and give yourself credit.

Long periods of time on IP can be isolating and a little lonely. As you know, not everyone wants to watch you eating rabbit food for 8 months and invitations dwindle when wine is not involved. Get out as much as possible.

Begin to familiarize yourself with maintenance. I read all of the old threads and Life After, it gave me hope that the end was in sight. Also, as much as I hate to say it, the journey never ends.

Most of all, be kind to yourself. You have had amazing results. Persistence is the key. Fall 6 times, get up 7,

Wishing you all strength and success.

Last edited by Slipfree; 10-03-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #13  
Serial Dieter

Sue, it sounds like you are on the right track! Just keep plugging away at it. And even if you can't lose any more ... remember maintenance and holding onto previous weight loss is also a victory!

Slipfree, I liked what you wrote. I agree that the end game is a challenge.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-04-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #14  
Serial Dieter

Interesting research article I saw yesterday ...

I actually think this applies to not only millennials, but to everyone living today as we are all exposed to these factors. Just goes to show how dedicated you have to be now-a-days to knock your weight down into a healthy zone.

Keep striving out there people! You can do it.

It was easier to be thin 20 years ago

by Michael Harthorne, Newser 10:05 a.m. EDT October 3, 2015

NEWSER – It's hard out there for millennials: the economy tanked, the Earth is getting hotter, sometimes Facebook crashes. Oh, and they'll end up fatter than people 20 to 40 years ago even if they eat and exercise the same, according to a study in Obesity Research & Clinical Practice.

After looking at data from nearly 51,000 Americans, researchers concluded that a person in 2006 eating and exercising the same as someone of an identical age in 1988 had a Body Mass Index (BMI) about 2.3 points higher, meaning they'd be about 10% heavier.

"Our study results suggest that if you are 25, you'd have to eat even less and exercise more than those older to prevent gaining weight," Jennifer Kuk of York University in Toronto says in the story.

Researchers have three thoughts on why that could be.

First, we're exposed to more chemicals nowadays, which could be inducing weight gain.

Second, prescription drug use is way up, and antidepressants especially have been linked to weight gain.

Finally, hormones and antibiotics in meat -- or artificial sweeteners in other foods -- could be changing the bacteria in our intestines and hampering weight loss.

Kuk says this research is a good reason to be more empathetic to people of all body types. "Ultimately, maintaining a healthy body weight is now more challenging than ever," she says in a York press release.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-05-2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #15  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Week 7 Results of IP Round 2
Lost 4 pounds exactly.
That makes a total of 30.9 in 7 weeks.
30 to go to get back to goal.

I came across the FAQs about the protocol when I was searching to remind myself why exercise is not recommended during Phase 1. It is a pdf file that you can find on the internet. I had read it before but for some reason, the info resonated with me more this time. As I have shared, I have been tinkering a bit this time around. I am very happy with my results, but I want the fastest yet safest results. I noted that the macronutrients were addressed in this pdf. I also made note of another point. For those interested, read on...

- Ideal Protein Macronutrients explained in the protocol.
Calorie Target 700-800
Protein 100g 400 cal 54% 3 envelopes plus whole protein
Fat 10g 90 cal 30% 2 tsps olive oil (note % includes Fat below to show total % of calories coming from Fat)
Fat 15g 135 cal Fish Oil & Whole Protein Fat
Carbs 30g 120 cal 16% Veggies, Lettuce, Ideal Foods
Totals 745 cal 100%
- As a result of this, I am going to adjust mine to match exactly as they guarantee 3 pounds of fat loss a week with this. I had added a 4th packet so I was getting extra protein.

- Also, they noted that if you are not getting the results you should, stalled, etc, then to do a week bootcamp, which they describe as replacing the whole protein (animal protein/dinner protein) with IP protein. "We also suggest 1 week of "Boot Camp":
5 envelopes of protein (Rocket-Fuel-only) soups, drinks and puddings. One,for
breakfast, one for lunch, 2 for dinner - NO WHOLE FOOD PROTEIN and 1 at bedtime."
- Note also what they refer to as Rocket Fuel. They mention this a lot in here such that if you are exercising and adding a packet, your 4th packet should be from Rocket Fuel.
- I think I may do a week of boot camp after this week.

I hope the above helps for those struggling as maybe a plan to kickstart yourself again to see a great result for a week to motivate you to keep going to get to goal/proper transition.

Last edited by Ro22; 10-05-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote