Old 09-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/180/125

Height: 5"2

Default new to IP using alternatives

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself after reading this board somewhat obsessively the past week, haha.

I"m 36 years old, and have always struggled with my weight..or at the very least how I perceived it. As a teen, I was a competitive athlete who worked out/trained 5 days a week /x2 a day...135 lbs which had to be mostly muscle, and of course I felt huge as my body wasn't typical to most high school girls. I won't ever have that body back, but I do want to shake my younger self for feeling so badly about it, haha.

My weight stayed pretty steady between 145-155 after having my son at twenty years old, overweight , flabby with a stomach...despite trying many diets , nothing stuck, mainly due to my carb/sugar addiction.

Fast forward to this past year...I managed to get down to 135 with calorie counting a year ago....then, I was put on two seperate drugs that are known to put on weight....for two seperate issues. I also moved in with my mother who had had a stroke in a new city, so I left my social circle behind, and they were all fairly active folks, so hikes, walks, bike rides were the norm...and while I loved all of it, I didn't keep it up on my own. I also work as a nurse ( shift work), and cooking for a teenage son who is well over six feet tall and is insatiable eating wise haha....long story short, I put on 45 lbs this year. I'm miserable at this all time high of 180, and it shows in every aspect of my life.

I also have a bf who while he is the sweetest man I've ever met, has no idea how to be supportive of a diet...he says he is, but he also loves to go out to eat and struggles with weight as well. A perfect example was yesterday ( my second day in) I stopped to get a salad for dinner as we were on the road, told him he should get something as well as it had been a few hours since he had eaten...said he wasn't hungry, then proceeded to pull over half an hour later to buy hot dogs, chips and pop...I would have killed for one of those doritos haha. I don't foresee this changing...as sweet as he is, he can be somewhat clueless haha.

Also, as most people know...families love leaving food for nurses haha. I work in palliative care....so sweets are dropped off pretty much daily, by more than one family, generally speaking...it's a war zone for those on a diet haha.

I have chosen ideal protein due to my carb/sugar addiction, and the fact that I know weight loss won't come easily, so I feel as though I need something regimented. I am hoping to find some support here, you ladies all seem wonderful!!

With all the extras added on, the meds, a thyroid issue due to meds, shift work, and the stress of being a full time caregiver/full time single parent outside of those things....I will be happy with small losses each week, I just want the scale to stop going up!!

looking forward to connecting with some folks!
hannahmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #2  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome Hannah! I started the IP protocol on June 8 and have only ever used alternatives. Hit me up if you have questions. I've lost 47 pounds so far, with an average of -3 lbs/week.

I understand the growing teen boy issue - I had two sons (+ 2 daughters) who nearly ate us into the poor house. They're both now well over 6'3" (my younger son is 6' 9"), so we went through a LOT of groceries!

And I work in a Labor & Delivery unit - I really have to avoid the break room and when the doctors bring treats to the desk, I just walk by real fast.

My husband is obese. He had gastric bypass years ago but never changed his eating habits, so he lost about 90 pounds and regained about 50. I don't buy him the treats he loves, but he knows his way around a store, so when the donuts show up on the kitchen counter, I just have to ignore them. You CAN DO THIS. Especially once you start seeing results - it's very motivating.

Last edited by HereIStand; 09-27-2015 at 09:51 AM.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Hanna welcome!! I'm on IP since February, just now starting to add in a few alternatives. There is a thread on here, I believe it's ALternative Products That Will Work on IP-anyhow, if you go to that, you will find some great advice and people like HereIStand. The information on that thread is amazing. Not to mention the successes. Welcome and you are in the right place!!!
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/180/125

Height: 5"2

thank you so much for the welcomes!

HereIstand, it sounds as though we live somewhat similar lives, lol. My question for you is, when working a night shift...do you just divide the alloted food over a 24 hour period? I'm speaking specifically of that first night back ( this is assuming you do rotating shifts). I know in previous attempts from dieting, that is always the most difficult day for me, as I typically just take a nap and then go in and run around all night...and I'm not sure if that would be enough food? Any thoughts?
hannahmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #5  
Started IP P1 Aug 7 ,15

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi Hannah,
Remember that there are a bunch of raw vegetables that you can have as much of you want. When I have long days I keep a bag of chopped celery and cucumbers with me to much on. You can always add some lettuce, spinach and mushrooms and have a few extra free salads throughout the day. There have been days that have been busy so I talked to my coach and she had no problem with me having an extra packet if I was hungry especially when I was first adjusting to IP. Rotating shift work is tough so you'll have to figure out what works best for you but an extra packet is better than grabbing something from the vending machine to get you through.
mandasquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #6  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmocha View Post
thank you so much for the welcomes!

HereIstand, it sounds as though we live somewhat similar lives, lol. My question for you is, when working a night shift...do you just divide the alloted food over a 24 hour period? I'm speaking specifically of that first night back ( this is assuming you do rotating shifts). I know in previous attempts from dieting, that is always the most difficult day for me, as I typically just take a nap and then go in and run around all night...and I'm not sure if that would be enough food? Any thoughts?
Do you work a 12- or 8-hour shift?

I don't work rotating shifts, but we have some night nurses on IP and they bring a lot of salads and the veggies that Manda mentioned. The main thing is that you try to eat at least every 3-4 hours while you're awake. You can spread the protein/packets and veggies out however it works best for you.

Some ideas:
- make noodles out of zucchini and put them in a zip lock bag. At work, mix them with 1 c. of chicken broth (you can use bullion cubes) for faux ramen noodles.
- a protein shake with spinach is quick to make and is filling.
- one or two hard boiled eggs will give you some protein and are easy to keep in the work fridge.
- tuna salad (tuna mixed with Walden Farms mayo and a little dill relish) in Romaine leaves for a tuna "sandwich." Easy to make, keep at work, and eat on the run.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote