Old 09-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #121  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

I did some more analysis to compare this year to last year (it was almost the 1 year anniversary that I started this again as compared to 1 year ago).
I'm feeling better about my weekly losses now...

I realized that at Week 10 the first time I was 203.6 and at Week 6 this time, I was at 201.7. Only losing an average of 1.4 pounds the last 2 weeks has been weighing heavily on my mind but after doing this additional analysis I feel better about my progress.

I have some nagging doubts about what I am doing this time because I have made a few changes as compared to the first time:
- I am using alternatives
- I have added more fat (individual items whose Fat Calories are more than 30%, I now consume). Specifically, this includes bread from the Great Low Carb Bread Company and switching to 93% lean turkey rather than 99% lean. I am also usually getting 3 tsp of olive oil rather than 1-2 that I did the first time. But my overall macronutrient % aren't that different - the key difference is I consume between 15-20 net carbs now rather than before it was between 25-35. My coach reinforced the need for 25-40 yesterday, but I think what I am doing is better - to get the calories from fat rather than carbs.
- I am chewing Spry gum
- I have cut my water in half (2 L a day rather than 4) as I was afraid I was filtering out electrolytes with that amount of water.
- I have added a 4th packet so I get closer to 900 calories than slightly below 800 per day as I did the first time around.

I hope this proves to be as effective or more effective from a weight loss standpoint as well as from an overall health standpoint.

So far so good but I am anxious to get my losses for the next 2 weeks so I can have my month 2 total to track how I did on a monthly basis as compared to before.

One question for all of you...where do you fall in regards to fat consumption - are you strict and every product you consume falls under the 30% of calories from fat rule or as you have done this, you found you needed to increase your intake? I believe if your overall fat calories are below 30% of total calories then I think individual items are ok. I guess I am trying to figure out how much latitude there is in Phase 1 to have great results and using myself as guinea pig as I want to do everything I can to ensure I don't have a health crisis again at the end of this. I really thought I was set up for success the first time and for everything to have happened really has me being ultra-vigilant.

Last edited by Ro22; 09-29-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Ro - I started IP knowing I had a Vit D deficiency and on Rx Vit D3 - I've followed protocol, relatively speaking, especially with oils - but I also try to make sure I eat fattier cuts of meat at least twice a week - lamb, steak, dark meat chicken. I am also doing this 100% with alternatives / no coach. So far, so good. My Vit D levels are significantly improved.
My third blood draw will be in about 6 weeks as I am hoping to be entering P2. I will let you know the results if you want?

Not sure what to say about the water - I've found it essential and drink more water than I absolutely have to now (1/2 body weight in oz's so I should be around 75 / 80oz and I still average about 90 / 100). I am also careful to be sure an have my shot of potassium/salt every evening. I really hope you are able to avoid the health issues this go-around!

ETA - Actually, saw a post about water / how important it is because apparently, from a scientific standpoint, it flows into cells and helps flush away the fat.

& my current macros are 50 (protein) / 20 (carb) / 30 (fat)

Last edited by hysteria_625; 09-30-2015 at 12:27 PM.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #123  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post

I have some nagging doubts about what I am doing this time because I have made a few changes as compared to the first time:
- I am using alternatives
- I have added more fat (individual items whose Fat Calories are more than 30%, I now consume). Specifically, this includes bread from the Great Low Carb Bread Company and switching to 93% lean turkey rather than 99% lean. I am also usually getting 3 tsp of olive oil rather than 1-2 that I did the first time. But my overall macronutrient % aren't that different - the key difference is I consume between 15-20 net carbs now rather than before it was between 25-35. My coach reinforced the need for 25-40 yesterday, but I think what I am doing is better - to get the calories from fat rather than carbs.
- I am chewing Spry gum
- I have cut my water in half (2 L a day rather than 4) as I was afraid I was filtering out electrolytes with that amount of water.
- I have added a 4th packet so I get closer to 900 calories than slightly below 800 per day as I did the first time around.

I hope this proves to be as effective or more effective from a weight loss standpoint as well as from an overall health standpoint.
You're doing a lot of things differently. From a scientific perspective, if you get less effective results, it will be hard to know which of the above things contributed to the problem. I don't say that to be critical of what you're doing (I'm not following protocol AT ALL regarding exercise!), just that it makes it challenging to assess the effects of your diet modifications. However, I think that if your weight loss slows, the least likely culprit is alternatives. I've been losing very well with them, and they are allegedly manufactured by the same company that makes most of the IP foods.

Quote:
One question for all of you...where do you fall in regards to fat consumption - are you strict and every product you consume falls under the 30% of calories from fat rule or as you have done this, you found you needed to increase your intake? I believe if your overall fat calories are below 30% of total calories then I think individual items are ok. I guess I am trying to figure out how much latitude there is in Phase 1 to have great results and using myself as guinea pig as I want to do everything I can to ensure I don't have a health crisis again at the end of this. I really thought I was set up for success the first time and for everything to have happened really has me being ultra-vigilant.
I am strict on individual items, except in the rare circumstance when I can't control the food choices. I'm thinking of when I went out to eat on Sunday afternoon and ate a 10 oz steak and a salad with cheese and low-fat Italian dressing. I'm sure that whole meal was high in fat but I made very careful food choices the rest of the day.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #124  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Oneuh2,

You are always such a beacon of positive energy. Even though you are struggling, I can see this light in your words. You have a lot on your plate right now. I agree with others, that getting the junk out of the house/ car/ office is a great start.

Have you considered shifting on to P2 or P3 for a while? This could be a way to have structure but with some flexibility while you go through these life challenges.

Wishing you the best,
murrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #125  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
Ro - I started IP knowing I had a Vit D deficiency and on Rx Vit D3 - I've followed protocol, relatively speaking, especially with oils - but I also try to make sure I eat fattier cuts of meat at least twice a week - lamb, steak, dark meat chicken. I am also doing this 100% with alternatives / no coach. So far, so good. My Vit D levels are significantly improved.
My third blood draw will be in about 6 weeks as I am hoping to be entering P2. I will let you know the results if you want?

Not sure what to say about the water - I've found it essential and drink more water than I absolutely have to now (1/2 body weight in oz's so I should be around 75 / 80oz and I still average about 90 / 100). I am also careful to be sure an have my shot of potassium/salt every evening. I really hope you are able to avoid the health issues this go-around!

ETA - Actually, saw a post about water / how important it is because apparently, from a scientific standpoint, it flows into cells and helps flush away the fat.

& my current macros are 50 (protein) / 20 (carb) / 30 (fat)

Thanks, Beth. Having your macros to compare against is helpful. And, like you, I have/had a Vitamin D deficiency and hence the focus on ensuring proper amount of fat consumption so that it absorbs the Vitamin D.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #126  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

HereIStand - thanks for your insights. I certainly understand that I have introduced multiple variables and am prepared to go back to the way I did it before, only this time with proper medical supervision so I don't crash and burn at the end like I did round 1.

It is good to hear about your experience with alternatives. Which brand are you referring to when you say it is the same/similar manufacturer?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #127  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post

It is good to hear about your experience with alternatives. Which brand are you referring to when you say it is the same/similar manufacturer?
I order assorted brands from Nashua Nutrition, and it's interesting that although the boxes have different logos, many of them use the same photo, and the inside packages are exactly the same - a white or silver plastic package with the instructions printed on the back. Someone else told me that all of this soy isolate food is likely made at one or two plants, and then packaged in the boxes that represent various suppliers, like IP.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:36 AM   #128  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

New October Thread ...

2014 Starters - Scare away those excess pounds this October

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-01-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote