Old 09-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

TGIF! Busy week!

Sue - so glad your coach is getting back in business, and closer for you is even better!

CenTxChk - hope your appointment goes well, will be curious to hear what you learn

DD - good luck tonight!

Hope everyone else is doing well, y'all have a great weekend!!
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

I apologize in advance for the novel.

Had my appnt with the plastic surgeon this morning. He deals with a lot of weight loss patients. It was very interesting. We discussed my stomach, breasts, arms and thighs (front and back). Overall I was very impressed with him. He spent a good hour with me discussing the areas bothering me, what could be done, scars, recovery and results.

First he told me my weight is good. He said I have mostly excess skin with little fat underneath…which would not result in much weight loss from surgery. Some people see larger swings if they have more fat under the skin when removed.

Body parts
Stomach – Most painful body part after surgery and longest recovery. Reason being he would perform muscle repair to make the stomach flatter. I have a choice of just doing a tummy tuck (incision from hip to hip) or I could go all the way around my back which would improve my butt and backs of my thighs. Recovery 4-5 days requiring much help to get out of bed, go to the bathroom, etc. 2 weeks before I could drive. Probably 2+wks before I could return to work.

Breast lift – I am not interested in implants so we discussed a lift. He felt I had enough volume that I would be fine without implants. Scar would look like an anchor under the nipple. Lifts generally do not affect nipple sensitivity. Didn’t necessary love the photos of his breast lifts. After having saggy boobs most of my life I thought his looked too low. I guess I need to look at photos online and continue to talk to other Drs.

Arms – would have incision from elbow to arm pit (or possibly even down the side of the body a bit).

Thighs – The abdominal procedure that goes all the way around the body will lift skin on my butt and backs of my thighs. This is an area that I need to think about. Out of sight, out of mind…it really hasn’t bothered me but if I am going under the knife it is something to consider. It would require a longer surgery and overnight hospital stay but once he showed me the difference, I was thinking “how could I NOT do this?”. He could also do my inner thigh (another scar from knee to groin on the inside of my leg). I have a lot of dimpling on the very front of my thighs that he said would not be resolved by either procedure. That is disappointing as that is the one area that bothers me the most…

I could have my stomach, breasts and arms all done at once which is a lot to be done at once but recovery would be the same if I did one or all 3 at the same time. Surgical time is about 2-2.5hrs per area. So the cost would be higher overall due to the length of surgery but cheaper than 3 separate procedures. Recovery time about 2 weeks before I could return to work.

I could walk but no core or heavy exercising for 6-8 weeks.

Had no idea what to expect cost wise. Honestly, I was prepared for a 6 figure cost…I had absolutely no idea what procedures like this cost, but it was much more reasonable than I’d expected. I went from thinking I could maybe pick one or 2 procedures to seriously considering getting everything done (except the inner thighs which won’t give me the results I want anyway).

My homework is to make consultation appnts with at least 2 other PS, ask more questions, do more research….
CenTXChk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedDieter View Post
Ro, that sounds awesome, glad things are going so well for you so far. I expect my losses to be roughly the same, I think it was 2.125lbs/week averaged out. I'm just hoping I find it as easy to stick with as I did the first time

CenTXChk, glad your coach was able to make you feel better about the gym measurements.

I'll see a handful of people this evening and tomorrow morning at our local clinic, I hope that I am doing good by them. I know the few new people I signed up are thankful for me keeping in touch the first week and encouraging them. Of course it's easy to do when they are friends already. I think with people I don't know it will feel intrusive... but if it's better for them, then I will just get over it

I hope everyone has a great OP weekend
My coach gave me her cell # right off the bat and said to txt any time I had questions or needed help. This was when I had just met her. I only did this a couple of times but if you are comfortable with the idea, you could do the same for new clients - exchange #'s and just text "thinking about you today, sending you willpower dust" or whatever. You might be able to get a feel for those who would be OCD and just be constantly txting you for reassurance or with nothing that can't wait til an appointment, and maybe NOT offer them that service, lol.
The client feels more engaged in a personal way, and it does help with compliance - you are not just there to weigh, measure, and lecture once a week.
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #94  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

CenTx, thanks for sharing all that info. Pretty interesting.

Liana, wow, you had a great coach. I think that kind of support does make a difference.

So on the homefront, I'm continuing my slow chop downwards. My regression line shows it will probably take me 6 weeks to lose the next 5 pounds (maybe hitting 193 lbs around November 2nd). Slow losses, but I will take what I can get. Keep up the great work everyone.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 09-21-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

CenTex - Wow you are a brave woman LOL the thought of surgery still scares me so much...but sounds like you have gotten a lot of good information to make the decision that works best for you.....

Sorry I have not been around.... First confession is I totally wigged out on Thursday after a bad WI and had a mild pitty party for myself. It was the first time in a year and a half on program that I had done that... I would like to say it felt good, but it didn't and I am still not feeling 100% better. My stomach was a mess!! Ugh... So mad at myself for letting that get the better of me and doing something that I thought was in the past....just goes to show that even after all this time, mentally it is still a challenge every day... So friday and all weekend I was back on track...Hopefully back in Ketosis and buring off the damage that I did....

That being said I really need to get back to my coach. I seriously do not like the one I was going to .... I feel so uncomfortable around her. Now that I have bounced back I need to call my old coach today....

DD if there is one thing I can offer to you as a new coach, be casual with your clients and give them your cell to call you when in crisis....

OK off to work this AM... Had a relocation client in all weekend so was super busy. TOday I need to do all the paperwork that follows in the wake of a super busy weekend...plus meeting a photographer at a new listing and other errands this am...busy busy keeps me out of the kitchen LOL
Sgrealtor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning, I hope everyone had a great weekend.

I am going to take the approach of letting clients know they can reach out if they need to. One client was 7lbs from goal earlier this summer but then had a cheat and surgery and hasn't been able to get back on track so I told her I would text her around the time she usually slips so that I can encourage her to stay on track and reach her goal.

My first week rebooting was good and I was able to stay OP. Of course I have my Halloween costume and a trip to visit family coming up to help motivate

Happy Monday!
DeterminedDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

Good Morning! Quiet weekend here. Hope everyone was off enjoying their weekend.

My DD was sick this weekend which changed our weekend plans. Can’t remember the last time we spent the weekend not running constantly. It was nice but by yesterday afternoon I was ready to get out of the house!

Tried my first spin class yesterday. Wasn’t sure what to expect or how I would do. Always intimidating that first time you walk into an exercise class and you don’t know what the heck you are doing! Another girl helped me with the shoe straps and the instructor came over to give me a quick intro to the stationary bike and make sure it was set up properly for my height. I was able to keep up with the class…and actually enjoyed it! Next time DD wants to come with me. Just can’t get over my physical progression since June! Even a couple months ago, a spin class would have been nowhere on my radar. Now I have a friend asking me to go on a 10 mile bike ride.

Sue – I had my own crazy moment last night where I went off the rails. I was just hungry…and probably bored from being home all weekend. The good thing is I didn’t make it to the grocery store this weekend so my list of “goodies” was severely limited. Thankful that saved me from having a full blown cheat. Going ahead and doing a P1 day today (also because I still have no food in the frig!).

DD – I have my coach’s contact info if I need her. She has reached out via text a couple times if she knew I was having a particularly bad week to give me some words of encouragement. They were very much appreciated!
CenTXChk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #98  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

CenTXChk - As I was reading your dr visit post, I thought, "Wow, I don't think I would have the courage to go to a plastic surgeon and subject myself to all of that." Congrats for following through on something you have mentioned throughout your journey.

DD - My advice to you aside from accessibility is to know more than your clients
Nothing was more frustrating than knowing more than the coach or having to seek answers elsewhere because you knew the coach would not know.
I would also advise clients to have a blood panel done related to thyroid and such. Having a baseline at the beginning I grew to learn was very important and should be monitored rather than the program's claim that this is medically supervised when we all know that is a very loose claim.

Alexandra - your regression analysis has been pretty accurate to date. I admire your positive attitude about your slowed progress. It reminds me of a saying, "Little by little, we go a long ways."

For me, I worked out 6 days last week - 3 weight training days and 6 aerobic days. I only lost 1.1 pounds last week. I am inclined to suppress working out until I get back to my goal. I had some episodes of dizziness last week which I hadn't experienced the first month and that was with adding an extra packet on days I did weight training. Plus, I hate weighing myself every week as it causes anxiety in weeks like last week as why I only lost a pound. I weighed myself this week to see what happened in the week I worked out. I think I will stop working out and going back to weighing myself monthly as I like to see big results. I am committed to the program so I don't need any weekly commitment to keep me OP. I go back to the doctor and nutritionist in 2 weeks so I will wait to do my next weigh-in until then and then switch to monthly.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #99  
Serial Dieter

SGRealtor, I know where you are coming from. Surgery scares me also. So I have come this far tying to do it the "old fashioned way" -- I figure why not keep trying. I am also hanging on Briael's post about the excess skin really being fat stuck to the underside of your skin -- and based on some evidence I've seen, I think Briael has that completely right! If it wasn't for my abdominal fat (which looks like loose skin but I am sure is at least 80% fat) -- I would feel satisfied with my current weight (and BMI down to 24.5). However my ab fat is making me want to at least attempt a lower weight -- so I am hoping to reach the 180-185 range, which will take my BMI down to 22 or so (right in the middle of the healthy range). I have to say that with the last 5 pounds lost I am already noticing less fat and less skin around my midsection -- so I am optimistic that I can avoid even considering surgery with a bit more weight (and fat) loss.

Ro22, thanks so much. I totally agree on the great predictive nature of the regression line on my weight charts. The real trick is not cheating and being consistent with ones diet. Of course it IS hard sticking with the program at this late stage as you don't have the big scale losses to serve as motivation (the losses are so slow and gradual at the end of ones journey as to be almost imperceptible on a day to day basis). My only motivation now is having a flat stomach (or at least a flatter stomach).

Last edited by Avalon1957; 09-22-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #100  

That's great advice Ro, I can't believe how many clients didn't realize that all the bars were restricted. It seems the previous coach thought it was just the ones with it marked on the boxes! And that's just basic stuff. I will certainly try to know as much as I can for my clients.

I've also quit my regular daily workouts in fear of slowing my progress! Of course this includes my 10k training so it will be another year that I am not prepared for my annual run! lol oh well next year I still intend to keep up with my weekly ball hockey and soon soccer nights. I just can't give them up!

Alexandra, your knowledge or statistical analysis and charts and what not make my head hurt I hope you hang onto that will power all the way through knowing you can see the finish line almost literally...
Old 09-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #101  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the update on the plastic surgeon's appointment, CenTX. It's such a wide subject and different surgeons seem to have different ideas and variations on procedures. I'm glad you're going to be seeing multiple surgeons before committing yourself. What a brave woman you are to consider having multiple surgeries in one appointment.

New flooring is halfway done (upstairs is complete) and we are loving it. So much easier to vacuum and broom up loose cat fur than having it stick in the pile carpet. Nicer on feet and the cats are loving it. Lots of rolling, but it's definitely noisier. Can't wait until it's finished - it feels like a house invasion, even though the guys are doing their best to tidy up and leave it neat for us at the end of the working day, they are still in our space and, more importantly, keeping me out of my kitchen.

Haven't gained or lost (which is progress!) but I am looking forward to getting back to the old normal.

Skimming the forum for now as the computer is largely hiding under dust covers to protect it from the mess, but I'll be back soon. I miss you all.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #102  
Serial Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedDieter View Post
Alexandra, your knowledge or statistical analysis and charts make my head hurt I hope you hang onto that will power all the way through knowing you can see the finish line almost literally.
On the math and statistics anxiety -- it's actually pretty easy to understand from a non-math perspective. Think of it as simply trying to draw a line freehand through previous losses --- and then extrapolating the shape and direction of that line into the future.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 09-22-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #103  

Thanks Alexandra, I was never good at drawing a line free hand But I get the idea.

We miss you too Amanda! I always get a laugh at hearing our cat tear and skid across the floor when he is in hyper overdrive whether I am in the room or not But yes, non-carpet is way louder.

We just got in the new unrestricted vanilla crispy squares on Saturday, but I had to wait until yesterday after work to pick them up because they weren't in our system yet. Yum! I like them. I might even switch it out for my restricted treats.

Today we are taking advantage of what could be the last nice day for us with a BBQ of steak and roasted rutabaga! It will be a change for me as I've been eating crackslaw since I started my reboot, only switching out the ground beef with chicken breast now and then.

I hope everyone had a great Monday and a good strong day today
Old 09-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #104  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Update on me...back is back at it again. Had a very tough time sitting and walking today while working. I'm home now and will pick up my MRI results tomorrow if I am able to do so. I will make an appointment with my back surgeon and see what he recommends. I haven't needed to see him since my last surgery in 2008. Perhaps he will tell me that I have not given this enough time to heal, and I am overdoing it. When I got home I took pain meds, which I HATE to do, and now they are starting to kick in. I really dislike how they make me feel except for the fact that they make the pain tolerable.

We'll see if I am able to work tomorrow. This is a little crazy because I was fine when I left this morning so didn't expect this. My sister and I golfed yesterday as her and her fiancé joined a country club recently and she wanted to treat me. I thought it was probably too soon given shape my back was in a few weeks ago but I wasn't having pain or mobility issues, just nerve issues, but this appears to be a response to golfing yesterday. I am discouraged because I was able to work out last week. I'll see what doc says. It will be good to know now that if I can't do the things I enjoy without surgery than it makes this an easier decision. And, I would rather know now and deal with it while weather turns lousy so I can be unlimited when Spring comes around again. I guess it is better than being cautious and realizing next Spring when I become more active that I have a problem that needs surgical intervention and being laid up while weather is nice.

Also, I wanted to share a recent insight. For those that make cookies out of IP packets or with protein powder from alternatives, I have found that using the exact same recipe but making them as muffins are more filling. So, essentially it means that using large muffin pan (makes 6) than using individual flat cookie pans (got at Target), results in the baked good being more filling. My hypothesis is that the muffin pan allow the dough to rise more (from the baking powder) than the flat pan even though it has same amount of baking powder. The muffins rise nicely and cookies are flat - interestingly, the muffins weigh more too.
I made blueberry muffins the other day by using Quest vanilla protein powder with blueberry extract - I swear to you they taste very close to real blueberry muffins. They smell like the real thing too!
Sue - this is one way I break up the food boredom and add activity at home than sitting and thinking about things I can't have. I enjoy determining what flavor protein powder and extract I will combine for what flavor I have a taste for. I ordered a bunch of extracts from OliveNation that Frawniemae recommended so I am having fun being creative with those.
On a related note, I find that if you take the oatmeal packets and make muffins out of them instead of oatmeal, it takes longer to eat and is more filling than oatmeal. Just thought I'd share those recent insights.

to reiterate, I really hate how these pain meds make me feel! I just realized that chewing Spry gum and the pain meds don't go well together...not feeling too great right now.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #105  

Sorry to read of your continuing back pain Ro, I hope you feel better soon and that you can get back to your regular activity level after some time without the need of surgery.