Old 09-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 187/135/135

Height: 5'4"

I just purchased a few quest bars for the first time from my GNC today (the 4 for 3 deal). After reading this, I made sure to look at the labels carefully and noticed that they had a mix of the new and old versions.

I did get 1 of the 'new' lemon pie bars, the soluble corn fiber was listed in the ingredients. It also had an exp. date of 6/03/2016 - so be careful, the date may disguise it as the old version!

P.S. - I tried it and it was tolerable...not good lol
Kalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Question as I read through the thread, (just jumping in on adding alternatives) before the change, were the bars (as long as fat calories are less than 30%) phase 1 compliant for IP?
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #18  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destony View Post
Question as I read through the thread, (just jumping in on adding alternatives) before the change, were the bars (as long as fat calories are less than 30%) phase 1 compliant for IP?
Yes, some of them were, but not all of them. I think you can find a list on the thread "Quest Bars as an Alternative." But they were classified "restricted," which means only one is allowed per day.

BTW, I also wrote the company and got the same response as canadjineh. Ah well. It was nice while it lasted.
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Most but not all of the previous bars were phase 1 compliant. It is the calories from fat that omitted some (must be 30% or less). In the new formula, ONLY the Lemon Pie still is under 30% calories from fat.

The canned response from Quest is the new formula both keeps them soft longer and greatly improves their taste! (I guess not... )

I never liked the old ones and did not use them. Oooodles of bars on Nashua Nutrition fit just fine and are way better in my opinion!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #20  

Default hi

hello guys,

This is very bad in my opinion that they are now going to add soluble corn fiber. I try to stay away from gmo and it is shame they are going to do this.

This is seriously one of the best protein bars I have ever had and to see them do this is not good in my opinion.

I asked them the company for the heck of it, if they are using gmo based corn or not im pretty sure they will come back saying it is gmo corn. I know there is corn based products that aren't gmo based or gmo free organic etc but quest isn't an organic product.

i'm just so mad to see this change, It is a great bar with very good nutritional makeup in it and then they add that not good.

I know they claim it won't melt as bad in heat and bake good yada yada it kind of sounds like bs in some ways. But sometimes if u leave it out in heat I have had it melt so i kind of understand but just leave it out of the heat!! haha.

anyway this was just my rant I had to get off my chest glad I found this forum and people mentioning about how they are disappointed as well.

I just stocked up today on my favorite flavor chocolate chip cookie dough with the old ingredients before the recent switch to the soluble corn fiber
seanxke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #21  

Hi all

I just noticed the changes in the Quest bars, as well

The 2 things that bother me are the increase in fat and the use of corn, which is a GMO. I avoid soy for the same GMO reason, therefore the Think Thin bars are also off-limits for me.

Here are my substitutes:
B-up bars
Simply Whey Bars
Nature's Essence (from Nashua Nutrition)

Hope this helps!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #22  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Hi all

I just noticed the changes in the Quest bars, as well

The 2 things that bother me are the increase in fat and the use of corn, which is a GMO. I avoid soy for the same GMO reason, therefore the Think Thin bars are also off-limits for me.

Here are my substitutes:
B-up bars
Simply Whey Bars
Nature's Essence (from Nashua Nutrition)

Hope this helps!
Thanks Lisa. This helps a lot. Do you have any flavors that you prefer?
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
I'm going to try to stock up today at GNC if they've got any of the old version left. I'm live chat messaged them a moment ago saying how disappointed I am & why. They linked me to a site on their webpage showing how beneficial the corn fibre is in our gut. I messaged back that 92% of corn in the US is GMO with insecticide built in (2015 numbers from the USDA) http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-product...-adoption.aspx

We'll see what comes of that.

Edit to print her answer:
"We appreciated you sharing this information. I verified from our director that the soluble corn fiber we use is non gmo."
(although that still doesn't help us with the fat ratio)
Hey all: Quest stated to me on Sept 1 that the corn fibre is NOT from GMO corn (see above for verbatim quotes on their chatline) Just FYI.

That does not mean that they can be called organic, as there are other ingredients in them that do not fit those criteria.
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Regardless of the source of corn fiber, it put the cakories and percent of fat out of range for phase 1-3. But interesting to note what they said about non-GMO.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 218/120/120 Reboot 185/123/135

Height: 5'3"

Whatever they have done by adding the corn fiber seems to not only soften the bars but have changed the taste as well. So sad because I eat them often as snacks and had just bought several boxes.
Lori T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #26  
Getting there!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/158

Height: 5'6

Quest bars are my mainstay while in P1 and maintenance. I really like them. E emailed Quest as well with my concern with the higher fat and corn.
workingit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 187/135/135

I bought 5 boxes of the old version and now I'm having trouble limiting myself with all of these options! >.<
Kalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaya View Post
I bought 5 boxes of the old version and now I'm having trouble limiting myself with all of these options! >.<
Likewise...I ended up buying a few too many. Currently have 45 boxes of various flavors.

Stocked up though and have 100 pounds to lose. These things will probably go bad about the same time we have flying cars.
Gorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:48 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hmmm, I've been tracking this as I use Quest bars in maintenance and so far I haven't seen any new formulation at my GNC but I only buy lemon pie (I actually really like the taste), cinnamon roll, apple pie, cashew coconut as they are the lowest in calories & carbs. Maybe they have a separate formulation for US vs Canada????
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hmmm, I've been tracking this as I use Quest bars in maintenance and so far I haven't seen any new formulation at my GNC but I only buy lemon pie (I actually really like the taste), cinnamon roll, apple pie, cashew coconut as they are the lowest in calories & carbs. Maybe they have a separate formulation for US vs Canada????
Liana
I was looking for some Quest bars at my GNC here (Ont) before Christmas, I asked the clerk about that, she said that from what she understood, it takes longer to get the new formulation approved here than in the US, so a lot of the bars in Cdn stores are still the old formula. Won't last forever tho. So if anyone really likes them, maybe a good time to stock up. Actually I've been meaning to do that myself, but I'm so poor $$$ after Christmas.
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote