Old 08-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #1  

Default ITG - Similar to ideal protein. Anyone try?

My wallet couldn't stomach the ideal protein prices anymore. Coincidentally a member on this forum from years ago (I read past threads) had mentioned going to idealprotein.com or something like that to buy cheap ideal protein products. Funny was that when I went to that website I think it took me to another link. I did some surfing and found ITG. It's exactly like ideal protein, I think even down to some of their products. But its like $3.50 a meal. Where I was at, my coach was charging me $5. I couldn't do it anymore. Then there was like a $150/mo fee. ITG has coaches and they're free online! I just put an order in yesterday. Anyone familiar?
Mariposah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Mari - honestly it sounds like you were at a clinic that was ripping you off - $150 a month plus weekly food??? sorry but that sounds ridiculous

I peaked at this website and wouldn't be too surprised if a lawsuit isn't filed by IP (if it's protected by U.S. Copyright laws). If $ is a problem, Did you ever look at Nashua? Most products are $12.95 a box and contain 7 packets
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #3  

I've looked at Nashua. It was too overwhelming.

Yes my clinic was very so ripping me off. I live in the bay area and yes it's expensive here but geez.

I do like ITG because of the weekly coaching though. I'm not sure if they'd get sued only because it's similar but not exact. Some of their food is similar, but if you look at the actual program there are some variances. But it's the same premise - adequate protein, low carb and fat
Old 08-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #4  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

One thing to check with alternatives is what else is on the ingredients label. Sometimes the way they are made cheaper is by not-so-desirable ingredients.

IP uses very high quality protein powder, but it is soy based. Other IP-like products use predominantly whey or casein based, which are cheaper (better for people with soy intolerance or concerned about the effect that soy CAN have on hormonal balance) but they also introduce the risk of dairy intolerance issues.

As always, do your research if you're switching brands. Above all, contact IP corporate and let them know what your clinic has been charging. They can't fix rogue outlets if nobody lets them know; and you were definitely being ripped off.

EDIT: The best thing to do with Nashua Nutrition is to spend some time looking at the Proti ranges, the HealthSmart and the Weight Loss Systems products. These are the three that are closest to IP (in my opinion) and we have had no issues with them at all.

Last edited by Briael; 08-21-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post

EDIT: The best thing to do with Nashua Nutrition is to spend some time looking at the Proti ranges, the HealthSmart and the Weight Loss Systems products. These are the three that are closest to IP (in my opinion) and we have had no issues with them at all.
I order Weight Loss Systems through Nashua. It is pretty affordable. However I am doing the program through my doctor, and so I only have some copays for visits, insurance covers everything else but the food.

I don't know what ITG is exactly, but I am using WLS to do a VLCD, modified fasting diet. I eat 6 packets a day. I can give you recommendations on what to order, and what to skip (SKIP THE CHEESE STEAK MACARONI)
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveDogWillDiet View Post
I order Weight Loss Systems through Nashua. It is pretty affordable. However I am doing the program through my doctor, and so I only have some copays for visits, insurance covers everything else but the food.

I don't know what ITG is exactly, but I am using WLS to do a VLCD, modified fasting diet. I eat 6 packets a day. I can give you recommendations on what to order, and what to skip (SKIP THE CHEESE STEAK MACARONI)
Do you eat regular food in addition?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #7  

Mariposa that site (itgdiet.com) does look really similar to IP. I took just a quick look at the ingredients, like 5 seconds, and they do look somewhat comparable…I guess my main questions would be to look more throughly to see, and also like Amanda said, the other question would be the quality of the protein.

Once I went into maintenance I started getting alternatives at Nashua. I’m on a brief P1 reboot and decided to do it with my coach and use IP products. For some reason they seem better to me. I’m not quite sure why, and it definitely could be my imagination - it just seems like I feel more satisfied. They are $4 each at my clinic so the difference isn’t so big, and also the coaches are free at my clinic.

I wonder if you contact IP if they could put you in touch with a clinic that would be willing to service you by phone/mail.

However, if itg is working for you, may as well stick with it.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariposah79 View Post
Do you eat regular food in addition?
No, just 4 cups of greens a day- two is standard with my doc but I wanted more vegetable. And only one of my packets can be "chewable"- a bar, entree, or snack. The rest are shakes, soups, and puddings. I wouldn't do this if I wasn't getting weekly check ins and monthly blood draws to ensure I was still healthy at 600 calories. I was also prescribed ursodoil (spelling?) to prevent gallstones during rapid weight loss. There is no way I personally would be able do this without the support of my clinic.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #9  

Quote:
No, just 4 cups of greens a day- two is standard with my doc but I wanted more vegetable. And only one of my packets can be "chewable"- a bar, entree, or snack. The rest are shakes, soups, and puddings. I wouldn't do this if I wasn't getting weekly check ins and monthly blood draws to ensure I was still healthy at 600 calories. I was also prescribed ursodoil (spelling?) to prevent gallstones during rapid weight loss. There is no way I personally would be able do this without the support of my clinic.
Interesting. What is your average weekly weight loss? What weight did you start at?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #10  

Quote:
I ask because I don't feel like I need real food. When I was on ideal protein I actually preferred just the packets. I may do it this time again. I know not a lot of people go that no food route. Just wanted to see how it was for you.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #11  
Reboot 11 June 2018

600 calories? That is insane. This is under the supervision of a doctor and not just an IP clinician, right?

The barest minimum you need to sustain an adult body is 850 calories.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade but I think the way you are losing is scary. If you are on that few calories for long enough your metabolism will plummet and you will regain that weight quickly as you phase out into a more regular diet for maintenance.

Generally, the ultra low carb diets are only done by hospital dieticians as a short term method to losing sufficient weight to enable morbidly obese patients to meet surgical requirements.

It worries me that you are being prescribed a drug to enable your body to tolerate this method of dieting.

214lbs is not a phenomenally high weight for you to have been put on this type of a diet. Unless your diet is medically based (ie to treat a condition) PLEASE consider contacting another IP source. Losing weight is important, but we do it to be healthier, not to create health issues that we don't already have. I am honestly worried for you.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
600 calories? That is insane. This is under the supervision of a doctor and not just an IP clinician, right?

The barest minimum you need to sustain an adult body is 850 calories.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade but I think the way you are losing is scary. If you are on that few calories for long enough your metabolism will plummet and you will regain that weight quickly as you phase out into a more regular diet for maintenance.

Generally, the ultra low carb diets are only done by hospital dieticians as a short term method to losing sufficient weight to enable morbidly obese patients to meet surgical requirements.

It worries me that you are being prescribed a drug to enable your body to tolerate this method of dieting.

214lbs is not a phenomenally high weight for you to have been put on this type of a diet. Unless your diet is medically based (ie to treat a condition) PLEASE consider contacting another IP source. Losing weight is important, but we do it to be healthier, not to create health issues that we don't already have. I am honestly worried for you.
I appreciate your concern but I assure you my doctor put me on the 500-800 calorie diet and I am being safe. I am not on the IP brand. Ursodoil is used in many circumstances, not just mine. Please consider that I have made an informed decision through my doctor, and I have had regular labs and am fine. VLCD diets are in fact quite common when medically directed and followed. Do not be worried for me. You can read more about it on the Optifast thread as one example.

My diet is not "insane." I am not sure why you feel so compelled to convince me otherwise, but again, this is covered by my insurance through a physician. I am not going rogue and eating 600 calories of whatever I want. The meals are medically formulated to give you all the nutrients you need. You are incorrect that you need "at least 850 calories."

Additionally, a big part of my plan through the clinic involves slowly going back to regular eating and continuing to check in through maintenance to help stay at your goal weight.

Last edited by HaveDogWillDiet; 08-22-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #13  
Reboot 11 June 2018

I'm glad that you are under medical observation, at least, and I wish you well on your journey. Stay safe, and keep on top of feeling well.