Old 10-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Determined- I did the initial 2 weeks when I phased off but with reboots, which have been limited to 1-2weeks, I haven't done the full,phasing off again - just a day or so. My reboots have been more phase 2 than strict P1.

Andrea - sorry to hear about your knee acting up again. great work on your reboot

Andreamva - I tend to stick to P3 and when on track have carbs at dinner once a week. I add about 10x2 a day almonds to have after workout and on way home from work. I have a shake or bar in the afternoon as well.
I've always struggled with ratios so this seems easier.

Hi to everyone and and have a great week.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Everyone! I apologize, I have been totally lax about keeping up here since I introduced myself back in June. Maintenance has been a learning process for me since then! My goal was 150; although I have generally hovered around my scream weight of 155 through much of maintenance. That certainly makes for continuous scale fretting!

Last weekend I had a couple events that included indulgence meals coupled with TOM that popped me up to 161 by Sunday. After 3 days of P1 I am finally at 155.6, which is still “over” scream but I am moving on to P3 today. I seem to always increase my weight at some point during the week and then spend days trying to get back down. My coach assures me that it takes 3500 additional calories to add a pound, so I am likely not adding fat, just fluid retention. It is still frustrating when clothes or the scale reflect something different.

So I can really relate to all the recent posts about an indulgence meals vs. an indulgence day. I don’t want to always be so worried about the number on the scale and be able to loosen up a bit…sadly, every time I think I have it down I go and mess it up again!

I have been working with a trainer since the end of June and can really see a difference in my body. I feel strong and happy. He has been getting on me about my carb intake…doesn’t think I eat nearly enough of the “good” carbs (ie: complex carbs) or calories in general. I typically eat between 1300-1400 calories per pay (he wants 2000). In fact, he sent me a whole chapter out of his certification textbook on the importance of carbs and recommended carbs/fats/proteins percentages. I just can’t see myself eating the amount of carbs they recommend and not gaining. Do we make ourselves more carb sensitive on IP?

I remember Amber mentioning that she had slowly increased her calories (and maybe carbs) in maintenance. I guess need to work on testing the waters on this.
CenTXChk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:03 AM   #183  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Default Calorie intake

Centxchk, I would say no one knows your body better than you. I encourage you to experiment. That said, I looked at multiple calorie calculators, and they all said I should eat 1600 calories per day. If I do that, I gain weight and currently target 1450 instead. I eat about 80g gross not net carbs per day. I really see it on the scale, in my clothes etc if I eat more. I know this from experimenting. There is not a one size fits all formula. I hope that helps.
murrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #184  

Murrcat thank you for that and I agree.
It just "is what it is" is what I am learning.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTXChk View Post
Hi Everyone! I apologize, I have been totally lax about keeping up here since I introduced myself back in June. Maintenance has been a learning process for me since then! My goal was 150; although I have generally hovered around my scream weight of 155 through much of maintenance. That certainly makes for continuous scale fretting!

Last weekend I had a couple events that included indulgence meals coupled with TOM that popped me up to 161 by Sunday. After 3 days of P1 I am finally at 155.6, which is still “over” scream but I am moving on to P3 today. I seem to always increase my weight at some point during the week and then spend days trying to get back down. My coach assures me that it takes 3500 additional calories to add a pound, so I am likely not adding fat, just fluid retention. It is still frustrating when clothes or the scale reflect something different.

So I can really relate to all the recent posts about an indulgence meals vs. an indulgence day. I don’t want to always be so worried about the number on the scale and be able to loosen up a bit…sadly, every time I think I have it down I go and mess it up again!

I have been working with a trainer since the end of June and can really see a difference in my body. I feel strong and happy. He has been getting on me about my carb intake…doesn’t think I eat nearly enough of the “good” carbs (ie: complex carbs) or calories in general. I typically eat between 1300-1400 calories per pay (he wants 2000). In fact, he sent me a whole chapter out of his certification textbook on the importance of carbs and recommended carbs/fats/proteins percentages. I just can’t see myself eating the amount of carbs they recommend and not gaining. Do we make ourselves more carb sensitive on IP?

I remember Amber mentioning that she had slowly increased her calories (and maybe carbs) in maintenance. I guess need to work on testing the waters on this.
I strongly believe that IP makes me more carb sensitive that I've ever been. I remember going to MX to an AI and eating my face off (pre IP) and only gained 2 lbs when I returned, whereas I went with someone who was doing IP at the the time she gained over 10 lbs in those 7 days and looked bloated and puffy IMO.

I sometimes wish I had never done IP because when I eat, even a little bit of carbs, it shows on the scale and my fingers swell. I am now terrified that I will regain this weight almost instantly....when I phase off.
It really saddens me because I feel happy where I am and wish I could keep it off.
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 AM   #186  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Amber, Something you wrote a few weeks ago has been rolling around in my head and I wanted to ask you about it. It was something to the effect of ... (and sorry if I got these numbers slightly wrong as it's from memory (as I cannot find your original post)) ... I think you wrote something like this ... "you had a recent weigh in where you lost no weight on the scale, but lost 9" (combined) off your measurements". I am not doubting your information but just trying to wrap my head around what might have happened. If you lost inches, then you must have lost fat or water or something? and that must have weighed something. So I am guessing there might have been some sort of compensating effect (a counterbalance). Do you have any theories on how this happened? I know for me (so far at least) my inches lost in my 3 measurements has been a little slower of late. However I do realize that we are all so different. What else might cause a loss of inches without much or any loss of mass? (puffiness due to gas?). The only other thing I can think of is muscle weighs more than fat and takes up less space -- so you may have converted a whole bunch of fat into muscle -- but it doesn't sound like you are working out (lifting weights) intensely enough to build up that much additional muscle mass in lieu of fat mass. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps other measurements (in other areas of the body) that were not being tape measured increased -- while the measured area decreased. In any case, you have a bit of an analytical mind and wanted to ask you about it as I wonder if you might have any theories on what happened. I am actually asking for a selfish reason as I would love to lose some more inches (esp off my waistline) but I am so close to goal that I have very few pounds to work with on the downside. So if you have stumbled onto a way to lose inches without needing to lose pounds -- I would love to share in that formula. We are all trying to learn from each other!!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-09-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #187  

Avalon - I honestly don't have any good answers. It was over a three week period, if that helps.
The entire year I was on P1, this was a typical cycle for me - I would lose weight but not inches for two weeks, and then lose inches but not weight.
I don't think it was an issue of not measuring in the right place because my clothes fit was also looser.
The only conclusion I came to other than monthly hormonal changes is that the weight was kind of redistributing itself.

Somehow my hormones play a lot into all of this. I started the birth control pill (Yaz - which is the best for not causing weight gain my doctor tells me) and as a result had to change my progesterone.
I have a feeling it's causing water retention.
I asked them about if I should consider a water pill and they said it's not a great idea for me, as it will cause my potassium and blood pressure to go even lower, and both are already low for me.

Another thing I notice is if I don't take enough magnesium, my system immediately starts retaining. I seem to need a lot of magnesium.

Sunflower - for me, I've always been carb sensitive. I think at a lower weight I am more so only because at a higher weight my body just didn't react quite as much because there was more overall mass. I haven't noticed that it's worse after P1 - it is about the same.
I do know though if I add a lot of calories or carbs while in P1 without phasing off with P3 there is a very sudden gain, which might have happened for your friend.

Jenny, I'm leaning toward keeping my high gylcemic carbs more toward the morning also (I don't know if you mentioned that to me on this thread or another thread). I think I might add a few from time to time other meals, esp. when socializing, but keep the percentage low. I think I need them but not regularly except for morning. A friend of mine that is an athlete said her trainer says it's best to keep the denser carbs toward the morning.
I'm just going to keep working it all and see what works.

DD I did a 6 week reboot and did P3 for a week. I'm now on the 2nd week and doing a slightly looser version of P3. I had a looser day two days ago and immediately got a lot of bloat, so I think my body/enzymes weren't quite ready for that, so I'm going to take it a little slower.

I'm also trying to eat a little slower and keep my portions slightly smaller but more often.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 10-09-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #188  
Serial Dieter

Thanks for sharing that info.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-11-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #189  

Avalon, my entire life I've put on weight and inches shockingly fast, and they can (sometimes) come down pretty quickly. I wonder the effect of inflammation also.... if something is being introduced that the body is having a strong reaction to. I haven't been able to quite figure out what yet - it's not the common culprits. I generally avoid wheat and sugar. And dairy and soy don't seem to effect.

All my doctor has been able to sort out is that my body is overall very sensitive. And there is some kind of blood sugar/pancreas/insulin/carb sensitivity going on overall.

If you discover more or have further thoughts along the way I would be happy to hear

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 10-09-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #190  
Serial Dieter

I am impressed with your dedication.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-11-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #191  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Happy Tuesday Maintainers!

I am now on day 2 of P2 of my reboot. I lost of total of 6 lbs in 2 weeks and a small amount of inches. On Sunday morning I saw the elusive 140 that I was looking for on the scale. I had an outing with girlfriends during the day and then Monday morning I was up to 141.8 and I'm still there. Ugh. I too seem to have become super sensitive to carbs. I had a bratwurst on a bun and 1/2 c. of potato salad(which I know was not P2 but there were no salad options where we were) and was up almost 2 lbs. I could have skipped the bun but I didn't. But that could have been salt, water retention or a whole host of other things. I'm not going to let it derail me. I'll do two days of P3 and then back into Maint.

My knee is getting better. I've been doing my PT exercises and walking every day for 30 minutes. So there's that.

Sunflower: I am very grateful for IP because nothing else was working. I'll put up with being a bit carb sensitive rather than carry around the extra 70 or so lbs I had before starting IP. I would suggest reading through the Maintenance threads to get more familiar with what works for others. IP doesn't do a very good job of telling you what to do in Maint. and most of us have discovered that it's very individual. You can do this. It takes the same amount of dedication to maintain as it does to loose the weight. I've been at it for 10 months now. I've gone up as high as 10 lbs above my beginning weight at the start of Maint but I am staying right around 5 lbs above. My clothes fit and I feel good. I think I'm doing OK. And you can too!

Last edited by catlady1981; 10-13-2015 at 01:12 PM.
catlady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #192  

Andrea I think you're doing more than OK - you're doing great.

My reboot was very similar - I had an upswing after going out during P3 but in two days of loose P2/P3 it was down.

So far I'm still holding steady - 2 lbs up from that elusive "where I want to be"....
This month I am going to just hold steady as my goal, and get the exercise back in. I did hot yoga again last night and that felt really great, a little sore today but not too bad.

I'm glad your body overall is doing better.

Sunflower - I would say the same as Andrea. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #193  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
Andrea I think you're doing more than OK - you're doing great.

My reboot was very similar - I had an upswing after going out during P3 but in two days of loose P2/P3 it was down.

So far I'm still holding steady - 2 lbs up from that elusive "where I want to be"....
This month I am going to just hold steady as my goal, and get the exercise back in. I did hot yoga again last night and that felt really great, a little sore today but not too bad.

I'm glad your body overall is doing better.

Sunflower - I would say the same as Andrea. Good luck!
Thanks Amber! I saw 140.6 today after 2 days of strict P2. This morning I got to have waffles and blueberries and yogurt, Oh my! I did a little happy breakfast dance. I've missed my P3 breakfast's. Sounds like you have a solid plan. I envy your ability to do yoga. I've tried and it just hurts my knee too much. But I'll do what I can and be satisfied with that. I think I finally understand what my body is capable of...not too much, but keep moving every day. I just need to add the weights back in for strength and I think that should do it.

My goal now is to get to the 12 month mark so I can join the National Weight Loss Registry. I think that it's important to share what I've learned with others.

I also got Refuse to Regain and started reading it. I'm only on the 5th chapter or so and I didn't realize when I got the book that she would be pushing a Paleo type diet with a somewhat odd meal structure throughout the day. I'll read the whole thing before I form an opinion and let ya'll know what I think.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #194  

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
T
My goal now is to get to the 12 month mark so I can join the National Weight Loss Registry. I think that it's important to share what I've learned with others.

I also got Refuse to Regain and started reading it. I'm only on the 5th chapter or so and I didn't realize when I got the book that she would be pushing a Paleo type diet with a somewhat odd meal structure throughout the day. I'll read the whole thing before I form an opinion and let ya'll know what I think.
Yes, I didn't quite resonate all the way with the Paleo part, but I appreciated the aspect of her observation about carbs/sugars/flours and processed foods in general - that those are the culprits that often cause issues for people in maintenance.

I think what I like most about the book is just the overall statistics about what seems to work for people, and reminding myself that those who are able to successfully maintain have certain habits that are different than what they were doing before the weight loss.

I am doing OK -
In adding the exercise I added some food, and am up on the scale due to the combination, but OK with that. I anticipated that might happen as I was a little sore after the exercise. I'm not going to do a lot today physically, so having a lighter day with food to let the inflammation/water retention go down some I hope.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #195  

And Amber...I didn't say so before but I think you are doing great too! You take a more scientific approach than I do but as we have both found each one of us has to find the path that works best for us. So YAY us!!

On the Refuse to Regain: Not eating processed foods is kind of a no brainer if you have done any research on nutrition. I did Paleo before I did IP, and I gained 16 lbs. and my labs for cholesterol came back very high. I will take what I need from the book and forge my own way I think.

RuthAnn and evemomma have been on my mind lately. If ya'll are reading, you are missed and I hope you are doing well.

Last edited by catlady1981; 10-14-2015 at 02:30 PM.