Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #46  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957
TWO QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP ...

I am curious on peoples thoughts on motivation...

1. What are your sabotage factors? Some of the biggest reasons / causes of wanting to stop (end the diet, or take a long break)
My self sabotage is all around cheats -- having foods that are clearly not on program, or having too much quantity of IP compliant foods including packets, bars, chips, etc.

Sweets are the biggest triggers - if I am going to have something extra, it is going to be something sweet 9 times out of 10. I should include the fact that I am surrounded by trigger foods, because I am married to Jack Spratt - he looks like he just arrived after several years at Auschwitz - barely can keep 120 lbs on his 5'10" frame - and his stomach is so tiny after cancer surgery that he has to graze and snack because normal portion meals are too much at one time. He has candy, bars, crackers (both cheese and peanut butter varieties), potato chips, popcorn, fruits, and all manner of ice cream bars throughout the house and the fridge and freezer. I am immersed in it - generally able to avoid partaking 95% of the time, but now and then, I step outside my IP compliant foods and sneak something. A long time bad habit of closet eating re-appears.... this worries me greatly as I think forward to maintenance.

Emotions, especially in the context of procrastination, are generally present. If I am occupied doing something that needs to be done, as opposed to avoiding any of those 'to do items' that are on my list, then I really want to eat my through the feelings of guilt that go along with avoiding the doing of the important or necessary stuff.

By the way, I am reading a book as part of my coaching training - it is called Taming Your Gremlin by Rick Carson - I'll let you know if it seems helpful in dealing with the saboteurs... I have a webinar about it coming up next week, too, so I should have good info to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957
2. What are your motivation factors? The biggest factors that motivate you to keep going?
  • The regular positive feedback from DH and family and co-workers is a big motivator.
  • My desire to make it work this time, and not revert to the eating habits that took me up and down repeatedly until I reached the 240 lbs all time high is very important to me.
  • Getting out in front of people - whether it's at the dance studio or going into the office (when I can Telework from Home 4 days a week lately) - this continues to feed my desire to make this work, to demonstrate that I am better than usual dieter who regains it all, plus some, and to stay with it to goal and then maintain.
  • And I am with CenTxChk - shopping in the Petite versus the Plus departments and online is very pleasurable and rewarding. Being able to wear some fashion trending stuff rather than being a lifetime model for Omar the Tentmaker is a big positive. I went dancing last nite wearing white leggings.... completely outside my comfort zone a few months ago, let alone before IP.
  • Continuing my good health and maximizing my physical capability given the fact that I am approaching the mid 60's, but still have lots of things on my bucket list that I want to be able to do and enjoy for many years - walking the streets of Paris is right up at the top of that list. So maintaining good health and being fit are necessary pre-requisites for fully engaging and enjoying stuff like that.
I would say that these are high priority critical success factors that help me stay on the path, but this summary is totally invalid without mention of this sub forum and this thread on 3FC. The support and information and lessons learned from the sharing by all of you has been a very powerful force in helping me stay with this weight loss journey for an entire year. My anniversary with IP is July 9th, and at the start, I NEVER would have thought I would lose 80 lbs, nor would I have believed I'd be continuing on a year later. (In fact I only signed up for loss of 50 lbs, just unable to believe on day 1 that I could even get to 190, much less any lower goal.)

I am TOTALLY convinced that this social and virtual interaction will be a critical success factor for me in maintenance too. I am counting on you guys continuing to engage here.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #47  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 View Post
So it is funny that I am never tempted when I am with a group of people. Kind of like they know what I am doing and dont ask / expect me to eat off plan. My friends have been truly very supportive. I guess that is a good thing...

One - I hear you on the suppliments screwing you up... I have missed a day or too of my mag / cal for lunch and felt the effects of the big C Actually just had to deal with that this past week. Right now my issue is that I have had 2 nights of charlie horses in my left calf...not sure why, but they wake me up in the middle of the night in sever pain.... Glad your dizzies went away...

JTX - still jealous

So we saw the oncologist yesterday and 2 more tests now that we know what we are dealing with..he needs a bone marrow biopsy and a ecocardigram because one of the effects of the meds is heart issues....then we start chemo. Maybe as early as next friday. It will be every other week for 6 months So we have a plan... Finally.

Now for me to get back on 100% focus....
Sue night cramps are classic sign of being low in either potassium, electrolytes, magnesium, or a combination of all three. If I up those they usually go away. It is usually magnesium for me, unless I am sweating and exercising a lot, and the culprit is more likely electrolytes – which is a combination of all.

To everyone-
I love all of your back-and-forth responses to Avalon's questions – will try to get to them in the next few days. Have a great weekend.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 07-04-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #48  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
TWO QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP ...

I am curious on peoples thoughts on motivation...

1. What are your sabotage factiors? Some of the biggest reasons / causes of wanting to stop (end the diet, or take a long break)

2. What are your motivation factors? The biggest factors that motivate you to keep going?
Love these questions, Alexandra! Good choice!

Sabotage factors for me are being around people who aren't dieting. Also watching television is traditionally a time when I would eat candy with hubby. I also find it very hard to get back to eating on plan after a prolonged break.

Motivation - having a wardrobe full of new clothes that I can't fit into! LOL ... I think this may be the only thing that gets past my wilfull resentment stage.

Looking in the mirror and clearly seeing where the weight has gone. Seeing a milestone number on the scale or tape measure.

Despite knowing my body needs nutrients to repair the damage from the accident (and yes, now the adrenaline's gone I am hurting like a crazy person) my brain is more than aware that it's time to knuckle down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
Sue night cramps are classic sign of being low in either potassium, electrolytes, magnesium, or a combination of all three. If I up those they usually go away. It is usually magnesium for me, unless I am sweating and exercising a lot, and the culprit is more likely electrolytes – which is a combination of all.

It's always magnesium for me. A teaspoon of the powdered variety per day fixes it after 72 hours.

WOW Cheryl, you are brave to have the fillers. Those things scare the living crap out of me; but there is no denying you look absolutely fabulous in the post-makeover. Is it anything at all like your normal makeup routine or did you learn some new tricks? One of the things that worries me is looking like mutton dressed as lamb, and I'm never quite too sure to handle the now-drooping eyes and face changes so I think I may follow your lead and get a make up consultation. Beautiful lady.

Last edited by Briael; 07-04-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:14 AM   #49  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

I am definitely seeing some patterns in everyone's responses to my questions. Thanks for input and thoughtful feedback. Really interesting how similar we all are with some of our reasoning and pitfall dynamics.

Briael, sorry to hear you are in pain. Sounds awful.

Cheryl, very cool before and after photos! You look great!!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 07-05-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

[QUOTE=oneuh2;5181178]These images are from before my injectibles to after my Estee Lauder makeover...

AMAZING...that looks fantastic! You are brave to have that done...so scared..LOL Have fun on your anniversary celebration!

OK so magnezium it is LOL.... I will add one or 2 in today to see if I can make a difference. thanks everyone who chimed in....

Love reading all the responses to Avalon's questions....makes you feel like you are not alone in this and we all are feeling the same things..

Mom came over last night for dinner with some steaks and I grilled everything...steak, portabella mushrooms, zucchini and peppers. Yummy and there are leftovers for Monday night when I will be late from a home inspection scheduled for 6pm.

DS worked his first day yesterday at the country club. He was cleaning carts and parking them in the garage. He also helped get clubs situatuated on the carts and off the carts after their rounds. He is making 8.50 an hour and he earned 45 in tips yesterday. He is one happy kid. He will probably work 2 days a week...just enough for some money in his wallet...
Old 07-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

One - You look fabulous. Thank you for sharing! And your resemblance to Olympia Dukaksis is remarkable. Both beautiful ladies.

Hope everyone celebrating the 4th had a great one. I took my first indulgence day. I don't want to call it a cheat day since it shouldn't be considered cheating in maintenance, right? But fun day doesn't seem right either...everyday should be considered a fun day. So I'm going with indulgence day until I think of something better.

At any rate I slept crummy and feel about the same. Reading G4H's recommended Refusing to Regain makes me reconsider what I am going to indulge in. Clearly these foods are not good for my body...so why am I so drawn to them. Back to P1 today and it is almost comforting to be back "on plan." DD has a soccer game and then we are heading out onto the lake with some friends on their boat. Food and drink will be plentiful but for the first time, I am not feeling sorry not to be able to partake. I feel good about my healthy options and enjoying how they make me feel. Did I always feel this crummy pre-IP and just didn't realize it?
Old 07-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 194/141/125

Height: 5'

Day 3 of Phase 2 completed. Yesterday I felt miserable and fat. This morning I felt so pudgy in my sundress. Couldn't wait to get home, change clothes, and take a nap. Yesterday I really, really, really wanted to go back to Phase 1. Having real problems with negative thoughts on how I feel and look again. I was feeling so good about my appearance, and now I just feel fat again. I need to deal with these feelings. I really wish I had one of my daughters here to give me an HONEST opinion on my appearance, but one lives in NYC, and the other one is in northern MN....both of which feel like the end of the earth to a Central Texas. Thanks for listening to me.

The questions are great, but I will come back again to answer them.

Have a lovely week, everyone!
Old 07-06-2015, 03:54 AM   #53  
Serial Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizBeadz View Post
Day 3 of Phase 2 completed. Yesterday I felt miserable and fat. This morning I felt so pudgy in my sundress. Couldn't wait to get home, change clothes, and take a nap. Yesterday I really, really, really wanted to go back to Phase 1. Having real problems with negative thoughts on how I feel and look again. I was feeling so good about my appearance, and now I just feel fat again. I need to deal with these feelings. I really wish I had one of my daughters here to give me an HONEST opinion on my appearance ...
I feel your pain. First off, I like using one's BMI (Body Mass Index) = 25 level as a good first approximation for a healthy weight. You are 5' tall, so your BMI=25 weight is 127 pounds. That is probably a good goal weight for you. Your current weight is in the 140-141 range, so you are really close to that first cut ideal weight. Boy if you could stay on IP P1 for another 4 to 8 weeks, I think you would hit your goal weight. It's tantalizingly close. But only you know what is right for you!

One note on feeling "fat" -- I go through the exact same thing -- and I have to say it's all relative. If you could remember what you looked and felt like at 190, then your current weight would feel slim by comparison. However you are still a bit overweight at your current weight, which is probably what you are sensing/feeling. Also since you lost a lot of weight, you might have some excess loose skin (esp in mid section) and that can sometimes feel like fat to you -- it sort of gives a bit of a false impression about how much fat you have on your body.

My only advise would be taking a break is fine (esp if you are totally burned out on dieting) however really watch the backslide. I had a terrible backslide right after my first foray into IP Phase 1, where I managed to gain all the weight back that I lost. And let me tell you that for me, it was harder (slower) losing that same weight the 2nd time. So if you don't have the drive to go back to a strict IP P1 right now -- in the alternative, if you can just maintain your current weight until you get your batteries recharged, that would be very positive. That's a much better scenario than slowly gaining all the weight back and then having to start over completely in 6 months.

In any case, give yourself some credit! You've lost 54 pounds or about 1/4 of your starting body weight. So try to hang onto that positive thought.

One last thing, after all my yo-yo dieting over the past 20 years -- it finally hit me that to successfully keep my weight down, I needed to get rid of my old way of thinking of discrete diet vs. no diet periods in my life -- and needed to make a major paradigm shift of a permanent lifestyle change.

This weight and dieting thing is a tough road for sure.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 07-06-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

Tried to keep up with y'all some over the weekend, but it's hard to post with any length from my phone.

Cheryl - GREAT pics!! I bet that makeover made you feel like a million bucks!

MizBeadz - I totally get that "blah" feeling. Do you get the IP videos? (I can't remember if you are clinic or self-paced.) I started the P2 sequence last week, and the one yesterday was about body image - it totally hit the nail on the head for me! (If you don't get them, let me know and I'll attempt a paraphrase later.) I had forgotten how helpful those videos can be - I haven't watched them for a while because I was on "repeat."

CenTxChk - great job working the "cheat" day, and planning for yesterday's activities!

Avalon - awesome questions! (and I can relate to everyone's answers)

For me, triggers are sugary foods - like Cheryl, when I've cheated it's been for something sugary. I'm hoping once I get to add back things with natural sugar, this will improve. I know I've also got to strengthen my resolve.

Motivation? I lost the equivalent of a whole person, and I don't want to ever
1) do this again
2) be that overweight, unhealthy person I was for SO long

While I am working on seeing and loving this new body, I like being a medium and wearing single-digit sizes. (I don't think I've been a single-digit size since I was a child!) I went through my closet again this weekend, and cleared out the larges and 1x still lingering from the winter. I also had to pack up my Easter dress, because it's already too big! My wedding/engagement rings went to the jewelers a couple of weeks ago, and had to be sized down 2 whole sizes.

What I realized last week, is that one of my biggest obstacles is/has been - fear. When I started IP, I honestly didn't think it would work (why would it? nothing else did). I hit goal and in some ways it's hard to believe that actually happened. Now I'm afraid of moving into maintenance and not being able to keep it off. I know I will work through these things, in some ways I already have - it's that mental process.

Last edited by JJTx; 07-06-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #55  
Serial Dieter

JJTx, interesting on your thoughts about fear. I think I had similar feelings when I started -- and fear is still floating around in me too. Maybe that's one of the things I am using to keep me motivated this time.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Good Morning .. Fear... yes I think that sums it up...I have had this nightmare that I wake up and I am 280 again and all the clothes in my closet don't fit. LOL As my coach says you are not going to wake up and have gained 100 pounds overnight... But I think I have a fear of the finish line and what is next? Maybe that is why I have begun to rely on that extra packet every day and I seem to have hit a bump in the WL road again....3 weeks at the same weight..humm something to analyze!

WI today and then off to list a new listing and a 2pm haircut.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #57  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

My husband fell off the lawn tractor around 6pm while I was at a doc
appt and then a dance class... He was unable to get up and laid in wet
grass for 2 hrs. Neighbor finally found him and helped him into the
house. I got home a few minutes later.

He would not let me take him to the ER last nite but I can tell his wrist
is broken and he may have cracked a rib and possibly has broken a leg.

Kind of a rough night but we are about to go to the ER - will check in later today with update.... Men can be so stubborn sometimes, and I could scream at how totally avoidable this episode was - he is kicking himself enough though. We will just have to deal with the consequences and keep on keeping on.
Ta Ta for now...
Old 07-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Good Day everyone,

I've been offline for a bit, I've almost been depressed. Ever since I've gotten to p4 I've noticed a change in my menstrual cycle and that has included my mood, which I think is attributing to my current "depressed" state. I've had a hard time dragging my arse out of bed for anything and I have been eating nothing but crap. It doesn't help that our fridge fried in a power outage two weekends ago and we are still waiting for a part so I've also used that as an extra excuse for not making/prepping real food. And forget exercise! But It's been about a week now and I'm starting to feel a bit better so I am hoping to get back on track. I forced myself to mow the lawn and take the dogs for a walk and that really helped, but I had softball and felt an obligation to the team to show up (not that I am any good! haha) but it wasn't so hard to get out of bed this morning, so I'm feeling good about that.
So enough whining from me

Sue, I'm glad that things are moving along for DH treatments and hope that the magnesium helps with your night pains.

Amanda, I hope you start to feel better real soon too. And don't give up on getting back on track, you'll get there!

One, I am sorry to read about your husbands fall, I hope that it's not as serious as you think and wish him a speedy recovery.

In answer to Avalon's questions:

My sabotaging comes mostly from my menstrual cycle. I get crazy "hungry" for EVERYTHING!! And nothing satisfies, so I really struggle at that time.

What keeps me trying is not wanting to go back to where I was when I started my IP journey. I invested a lot in this process and refuse to buy anything in a bigger size!

I hope everyone is doing well with their current phases and are enjoying nice weather.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Thought to you & your husband one - hear you on men being stubborn but wow - scary!

Last edited by hysteria_625; 07-07-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 View Post
Good Morning .. Fear... yes I think that sums it up...I have had this nightmare that I wake up and I am 280 again and all the clothes in my closet don't fit. LOL As my coach says you are not going to wake up and have gained 100 pounds overnight... But I think I have a fear of the finish line and what is next?
Okay not funny, but it did make me chuckle, and I can totally relate!! I was reading something over the weekend about big weight loss, loose skin, etc., and someone said they felt like a thin person in a fat suit. That struck a chord with me, and on my walk this morning I was thinking about how I want to shrink my "fat suit" and not fill it back up!

Cheryl - poor hubby, hope the ER doc can patch him up without too much trouble!

DD- so glad to see you back!! Sorry to hear that you've been struggling, and dealing with a lot of challenges.

WI tomorrow, not sure what to expect. As per my usual pattern lately, the scale popped up over the weekend, but seems to be coming back down (not sure why, I don't think I do things that differently over the weekend, unless it's water retention from more activities outside?). It's something of a relief to see - at least so far - that adding in a "real" lunch protein (and therefore more calories to the day) doesn't seem to be having a huge effect on my weight.
Closed Thread