Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #76  
IP Start 6/17/14

S/C/G: 216/160.8/160.0

Height: 5'5"

Avalon, fantastic chart! I couldn't begin to recall all of the diets and weights that I have been throughout my life. ��

We have to look at maintenance as an ongoing, learning process. We can't have it figured out now because most of us aren't there yet and we aren't being challenged by those food triggers in the same way. During P1 and 2 we are insulated....we simply don't eat any of the non- program foods. It is during maintenance that we challenge ourselves. I look at this in a similar way an alcoholic would look at being sober. I need to work at this every day, one bite at a time. And I need to challenge myself and be in situations that may have triggers. I need to understand that I will not get this right every time. And that is ok, as long as I keep working at it. The goal for us should be to live our lives...not avoid family events, social situations just because I may be faced with a trigger. And if I make a mistake, I have to forgive myself and continue on....not give up.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Avalon, congrats on the milestone!! Your chart is amazing, I would never be able to go back like that with my weight.

OhZoe, maintenance is a challenge for sure, and I agree that this forum is a great place for support and inspiration to keep it off.

CenTXChk, sorry you had to listen to such ignorant comments this weekend. And hopefully you are not letting it bother you.

Sue, keep strong, you are doing amazingly!

I hope everyone it doing well, happy Monday, if possible
Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Wow, okay lots of catching up from the weekend!

Avalon - congrats on the milestone, and as always I am in awe of your charts!

CenTxChk - you are so not anorexic! that's ridiculous. I'm going with jealousy, don't let them get you down.

Zoe!! So good to see you posting, I hope you'll keep it up and keep sharing your experiences with us.

Andrea - I think you're right about IP making us look leaner. My sister visited a couple of weeks ago, and we took a great picture. She only weighs 5 pounds more than I do, but looks heavier in the picture. My coach said it's because I have more lean/muscle mass and she has more fat mass. A pound is a pound, but a pound of muscle takes up less room.

Oneuh2 - I may have missed this but how'd the dance class go?

Another busy week ahead, I have my annual check-up this afternoon - it will be interesting to see what my doc has to say since she hasn't seen me for a year!
Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #79  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Thanks for the kudo's! I am proud of everyone here, no matter where they are on their journey -- or how they've done. Just by being here you are making a statement that you are interested in better health. So big gold star to everybody!

The detailed weight tracking started for me in the early 2000's when I started seeing Nutritionists and got in the habit of monthly weigh ins ... then when I discovered a programmed Excel Spreadsheet, I dumped all my data into that. That Spreadsheet is what makes the raw charts. I then do some additional post processing of the raw chart in Photoshop using colorcoding and heavy lines which makes it easier to read/interpret. Before the year 2000 my weights were recorded in Annual checkups and I have all my old medical records, so it was relatively easy to reconstruct all that old data.

Probably all this shows (really) is how obsessed Ive been with my weight for the past 20 years (wanting to get thinner and be healthier). Almost all the medical issues I've had were weight related (gallstones, high cholesterol, back pain, knee pain, foot pain, high blood sugar) -- so I was starting to see more and more how all the extra weight was making me sick -- and the impact was getting worse and worse as I got older. So finally I think the lightbulb went off for me in late summer 2014 -- that I can't just do a discrete diet for a period of time and then go back to my old way of eating. That just doesnt work. So I started this hopefully last big diet with the idea that I would do lifestyle changes at the end (basically keeping some of the IP way of eating for the rest of my life (not so calorie restricted tho) -- that was 107 pounds ago.

I am just so laser-focused on getting into the green zone on my chart (BMI < 25) -- and then keeping myself there for the duration. Nothing is going to stop me this time!! I know exactly what I need to do and have resolute determination to do it. Just call me "The 9 Time's a Charm" girl. Having a lot of failure can actually (eventually) lead to success.

What was it that Edison said after he failed to create the light bulb in his 100th attempt? I didn't fail, I just determined 100 ways not to make a light bulb.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 06-08-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #80  
Serial Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
Avalon - your analysis and trend line are a marvel to me! Cool that you can predict with some probability your graduation to the Healthy BMI class !!! I can never keep these various measures straight -- does the weight range and body fat range change in the definition of Healthy vs Overweight, etc., based on a person's height? I am thinking it probably does, so I need to find a chart of such info for my 5'4" frame.... I have not thought about this aspect for awhile - I recall advancing from Obese to Overweight but now I need to check in on that so it will help me to refine my goal weight.
Hey OneUh2, My chart is based on pure Body Mass Index (BMI). The medical community (I think) considers a BMI=25 a kind of a rough first guess for a healthy weight. However BMI is based only on your height -- so there is really a lot of slop in there for frame size (bones) and muscle mass.

Here is a standard BMI calculator
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educ...MI/bmicalc.htm

So for your height at 5'4" your BMI=25 level is right around 145 lbs.

Computing the "zones" like I have in my weight chart is relatively easy.

For you the "Healthy Zone" colored green in my chart is when your weight is under 145 lbs.

The "Overweight Zone" is 0 to 20% over the BMI=25 weight. So using that healthy weight for a person 5'4" tall, which is 145 lbs as a starting point, 20% overweight would be 145 + 29 pounds. So that blue zone on my chart (the overweight zone) for you would range from 145 lbs to 174 lbs.

Class 1 Obesity is 20% to 40% overweight. Class 2 Obesity is 40% to 60% Overweight. Etc. Each class brings with it higher and higher medical risks (disease risks) ... so you just keep adding blocks of 29 pounds to see where your zone boundaries are.

So those zone boundaries would be (for you): 145 lbs is the boundary between healthy and overweight; 174 lbs is the boundary between overweight and class 1 obesity; 203 lbs is the boundary between class 1 and class 2 obesity; etc.

Now there is a more accurate way to determine your "healthy weight" and that would take some accounting of your frame size (or bone size). Since most posters on here seem to be women (sorry for any men floating around out there for me not including you, but you can Google that info I'm sure!) ... here is a good table on Ideal Body Weight for Women based on your Frame Size. This is a more accurate estimator of "healthy weights" since it takes into account your bone structure.

You are 5'4" tall so I highlighted that row. You might already have a sense of what your frame size is, but if you don't know, I can post info on how to determine your "frame size" (that is if you fall into the Small Frame, Medium Frame, or Large Frame category). This table might give a more accurate measure of what your ideal weight should be (at least based on this reference guide / paradigm). Ultimately, everyone is built a built a bit differently, so the numbers might vary a bit from person to person as to what is "healthy", but this at least gives a good first guess.

Now most women are mostly likely medium frame and the top of the healthy weight for 5'4" medium frame is 138 lbs. And the BMI=25 weight is 145 lbs. So I would guess a "healthy weight" for you might be somewhere between 138 and 145 lbs. That being said there are a lot of people a little bit overweight (say less than 10 to 15% overweight) that have no health issues at all. And there have been some studies suggesting that slightly overweight people live longer than their thinner counterparts -- especially as they age (and we are all getting older!). So there might be nothing wrong with your weight in the 160 pound range -- in terms of your health. Where problems arise (statistically speaking) is when ones weight balloons into the +25% to +50% or more above what is considered healthy.

So you might be in the zone right now where it's not so much about your health, but instead more about where you feel good about yourself (how you look and feel in your body).

JJTx, DeterminedDieter, OhZoe, THANK YOU!

SGRealtor, so true about the old "low weights" being milestones

Last edited by Avalon1957; 06-08-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #81  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Avalon - thanks for doing the 'One-Oh-One' course for me on BMI -- as I think back, I recall when I lost enough weight to get out of Obese and into the Overweight category -- and I recall finding that my (pulled from the air) goal weight of 150 was not going to get me out of Overweight and into Healthy/Normal... but I think my chances of maintaining around 150 are much better than trying to go lower than that. It is taking a very long time for me to descend to 150, much less 145....

So I may try to maintain focus on body fat percentage, building up my muscle mass and toning. This would help me do all I can to improve the look of my batwings (one of the most badly affected body parts since I have lost weight), as well as improve my overall health.

I am at 36.4% fat now -- I started at 49.5% fat back in July 2014 when I began IP. I'd like to take that down some more - strength training is a whole new thing for me, so I have much to learn in order to set a meaningful goal. I do know that optimizing lean mass would be good for my metabolism..... this seems smart, too!

I also know that my 5'4" tall frame is rather large - based on wrists that measure 7 inches (the average size for someone who is 5'8" tall), and large 10 inch ankles that do not appear smaller than the lower part of my calf.... that makes for cankles, actually. Thankfully all three: wrists, ankles and calves are notable smaller today than they were when I began this journey. So maybe the 150 goal is a good sustainable goal for me after all.

JJTx - I am not sure which dance class you are referring to.... I went to an advanced Quickstep class on Wednesday night last week - that went just fine - I kept up with the more advanced, more practiced dancers and the instructor gave me good kudos. And on Sundays I go to my fitness class that is dance based, followed by a yoga class that is now focusing on building core strength and improving balance. I am seeing real improvement in my balance in that class, and the recent addition of more focus on core is bound to be really beneficial for me. The fitness class is the one I will help to demo on June 28th -- still have about 3 weeks before I'll be doing that one!

Meanwhile - speaking of classes -- I begin Coaching class on June 22nd. I received a reading list that I reviewed today - interestingly, there is a book called "Taming Your Gremlin: A Surpringly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way" -- this sounds to me like something that might be a good adjunct to successful maintenance. Since I have to read some assigned chapters of the book, I will be reporting back to you all on how useful it seems to be and give you a recommendation on whether you might find it to be informative. I am coming to realize that the timing of this course may really be great for my maintenance journey.

To finish up a long post.....

With all the posts today re: fears of and concerns about maintenance.... the motivation I share for today, is courtesy of Ishbel -- I lifted this from her latest signature line:

“If you don't look after your body, where will you live?" - Kobi Yamada

"If I go back to what I was, I will be what I was. I don't want to be what I was, I want to be what I am." – Ishbel (IPeep on 3FC)

[You may recognize the name Ishbel -- Lisa's signature lines quote Ishbel - brilliant comment about "pick your hard" -- I just love that quote!!!)
Old 06-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Oneuh2 - I was referring to your demo, I missed the part that it was a couple of weeks away.

Can't wait to hear about your reading material!!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #83  

Wow everyone’s a rockin’ and a rollin’ here! How great that our concerns right now are exactly what are healthy weight is, because everyone is so close.

I saw my doctor and coach today and one of the things they reminded me is I have a few pounds of extra skin so that effects things. They also told me in no uncertain terms that I do not need to lose more weight and in fact they wouldn’t recommend it. I weighed in at the same weight today that I was last month, and I have only gained 2 lbs since I ended P1, which is a big accomplishment and most people don’t manage to stay that way. They said that indicates that I picked the right goal weight, which actually was 160, and I changed it to 155 at some point, but they said either of those and hovering between them is fine for me.

I have to come to terms with the skin on my stomach, see how it tones out in this next year, and go from there. But that is not actually anything to do with losing more weight, and I have to keep telling myself that.

There are a lot of factors that go into this, and like a few people mentioned on another thread, it really has to get out of numbers and to what you want and how you feel (once your doctor tells you you are healthy). I kept asking questions today and then kept saying “but how do you feel”.

According to the chart above, I am at the top end of what the chart is considering “acceptable” but it’s too cut and dry I think - I have quite a bit of muscle, some extra skin, and a large frame… so it can be really tricky.

Good luck to all of us! But how incredible that this is what we are working on. Like I’ve said so many times, if i spend the rest of my life stressing over 5 lbs,then that will be a huge success.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 06-09-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 AM   #84  
Serial Dieter

Grateful4Health, I personally think your weight at 155 is perfect for you. You look fantastic in your photo too! Your BMI is 24.3 which is considered in the Healthy Zone. I am sure your doctor wont be complaining about your weight!

I honestly think once we get close to that BMI=25 level (say within 5 to 10% of that) we are in a great place health-wise. I think it might be more important, at that point, to just focus on maintaining that healthy weight say within a small zone and not worry so much about some pie in the sky "ideal" that we might imagine.

I am 6'3" tall and a large frame. So the top of my ideal weight according to that table I posted is 188 lbs. My BMI=25 level is 200 lbs. So I think my optimal zone is between 188 and 200 lbs. Which is why I picked 190 as my ultimate (perfection) target. Plus I know that I look fantastic at 190 lbs and like the idea of being in the ONE's. I also wanted to get to a weight where I could gain 10 pounds and still have a BMI below 25. So my goal is to get to 190 then start maintenance where I will let my weight float between 190 and 199 lbs, and when I hit 199 I go back on Phase 1 to lose those 9 pounds. I want to be able to eat out or travel occasionally and not think about dieting so I am hoping that 9 pound slop zone will allow me that freedom. I just need to put a hard ceiling on myself at 199 and not let my weight slip above that level. At least that is my plan right now.

However, that being said, I am not even sure if my body will let me get to my 190 lb goal. The last time i was that low was when I was 35 years old -- and I am 58 now -- but for me even 210 lbs would be pretty darn healthy -- certainly infinitely better than the 326 lbs where I started! And it's going to be infinitely more important for me to MAINTAIN my weight at 210 than it would be to kill myself to get to 190 only to struggle to maintain that low weight -- and watch it balloon back up from there to 250.

So right now I will just see how I do in my journey over the next 4 months. And re-evaluate along the way if needed.

In any case, I totally agree with everyone that once we get down to say within 10% of a BMI=25 weight -- it's better just to breathe and relax and enjoy the scenery from that lower weight -- than to feed any possible bad feelings that we are still not thin enough. (Even tho I too have these dreams of a perfect weight (of 190 lbs)).

It's interesting that for me, I was so overweight for so long that my brain hasn't quite adjusted to the notion that I am at a more more normal weight -- in my head (my mind) I still think I am fat. It might take a year or two for my "new normal" to sink in and actually start feeling normal (or at least like reality).

Last edited by Avalon1957; 06-09-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

Hey Guys..

Sorry to be a downer here but I know I need to reach out to my support team so that I don't down a chocolate cake LOL..
Hubby got his diagnosis yesterday.. Lymphoma. We go to the surgeon on Thursday and will get the full report of what type and such and then the oncologist on Monday to see what we are going to do. I am devastated. After all these weeks and it not coming back positive the first time I was hoping to deal with something else. Anyway it is what it is and hubby is a fighter so we will fight thru this together.

I am still 100% committed to IP and have somehow managed to stay on track. Seriously I am channeling you guys every day as I battle the voices in my head telling me a cheesebuger will make it all go away.

that said I have WI today at a really odd time for me 3pm which I am sure will be a much differnet outcome then this AM on my Aria which I managed to stay the same. Stress does the body no good. I am also haveing a minor procedure this AM to remove a pre-cancerous groth from my upper arm...can you say when it rains it pours! Ugh. Anyway I have my food all prepped for the day as after WI I have a 5pm appointment to show 2 houses. ~ Keep busy right??

Thanks all for your support....
Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

Oh Sue! I am so sorry DH didn't receive the news you were hoping for! Lymphoma is a VERY treatable cancer. Trust me, it runs rampant in my family. You are going to the best doctors and will receive top care. He is in good hands. Plus your DH has you!! You are strong and I know you will get him through this!

And WTG for sticking to your diet! Just think what a world of hurt you would have been in if you had never started IP last year. You are in such better shape to be there for your DH. When you feel like your life is out of control, this is one area you have control over. Just be kind to yourself.

You guys are both in my prayers!! Keep us posted, okay?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #87  
oneuh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 View Post
Hey Guys..

Sorry to be a downer here but I know I need to reach out to my support team so that I don't down a chocolate cake LOL..
Hubby got his diagnosis yesterday.. Lymphoma. We go to the surgeon on Thursday and will get the full report of what type and such and then the oncologist on Monday to see what we are going to do. I am devastated. After all these weeks and it not coming back positive the first time I was hoping to deal with something else. Anyway it is what it is and hubby is a fighter so we will fight thru this together.

I am still 100% committed to IP and have somehow managed to stay on track. Seriously I am channeling you guys every day as I battle the voices in my head telling me a cheesebuger will make it all go away.

that said I have WI today at a really odd time for me 3pm which I am sure will be a much differnet outcome then this AM on my Aria which I managed to stay the same. Stress does the body no good. I am also haveing a minor procedure this AM to remove a pre-cancerous groth from my upper arm...can you say when it rains it pours! Ugh. Anyway I have my food all prepped for the day as after WI I have a 5pm appointment to show 2 houses. ~ Keep busy right??

Thanks all for your support....
Oh Sue -- when we did not see a post from you yesterday, I wondered what was happening for you and DH. So sorry that your news was not good -- I must confess that I know zip zero about lymphoma. I was encouraged by CenTxChk 's posting as she seems to have some experience with it. Do not hesitate to come here with any feelings you are having - we all want to support you, and I know you can count on us be here for you.

My initial thought is recalling how I felt when my DH was diagnosed with Gastric Cancer -- I felt like everything spun out of control, and I became totally reactive - not proactive about anything - just reacting to each new factor that appeared each day. So many aspects of the cancer journey are dictated by the medical team, the treatment protocols, and your role as the caregiver. Your husband's condition, symptoms, and feelings will be a key driver, something that you will tune in to, and react to the best ways you can.

CenTxChk is right on - You are taking a smart approach by sticking with your program to take care of you -- each day, your eating management practices are something that you can control, and there is much value that comes from knowing that, and from acting on that capability.

Do keep us tuned in when you can - know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Last edited by oneuh2; 06-09-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #88  
Serial Dieter

Sue, so sorry to hear that news. My thoughts are with you and spouse for a speedy recovery.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #89  
oneuh2

Motivation quote for today....

Your body can do anything. It's your brain you have to convince!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Sue, I'm sorry the results are not what you want. But at least you have an answer and can start treatment. I am like one in my ignorance on the diagnosis, but I too am encouraged by CenTXChk's info and hope that you are as well.

We are all here for you, and you are doing amazingly. Let's hope you will find the food prep therapeutic or at least distracting when you need a break from the worry.
Closed Thread