Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/175/145

Height: 5'3"

Default Woosh...

I am in my second week restarting and I have been at a stand still for a few days. I am not getting discouraged because I know the diet works...but...how often do you get a Woosh?...I seem to remember getting one after a few says standing still...Do you start moving again after the woosh???
barri1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #2  

WOW! 407 views and not one reply!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240.2/144/145

Height: 5'5.5"

I only recently started weighing myself and fairly inconsistently but I haven't noticed a pattern of the 'whoosh.' I'm near the end of my weight loss so I suspect if I'd been weighing myself during the process the whoosh would happen on day 5 after last weigh in. I'd base this on how I felt thinner usually a couple of days before a weighin.

Hope that helps --
andreabmva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/211/140

Height: 5'6"

How has your sleeping and stress levels been? Sometimes I find that if I am really stressed at work, my body copes by holding onto EVERYTHING! Sorry, that's probably not the best answer but it might help explain why there hasn't been a whoosh?
jlnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Barri - "Woosh" - I associate that with the Low Carb forums I was part of for years...I guess my initial "woosh" was the first 10 days - and since then, my weekly losses have been steady.
For some reason I have yet to figure out through tracking, I have followed ONE pattern - and that is my lowest weight is always on a Saturday or Sunday morning around 9:00 am - lack of stress? extra sleep? more time to release water?

Also, keep in mind everyone's weight loss patterns are going to be individual.

As an FYI, here is a great article on why the scale lies: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=465759
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #6  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barri1970 View Post
I am in my second week restarting and I have been at a stand still for a few days. I am not getting discouraged because I know the diet works...but...how often do you get a Woosh?...I seem to remember getting one after a few says standing still...Do you start moving again after the woosh???
After 16 weeks on the program, I had my first real stall this past week. Up and down the same 1.5 pounds. My weigh in happened on one of the "down" days (1 lb loss). The next day, at home, I was up again. This morning I am down 1.4 lb from yesterday morning. I'm ready to get off this particular ride...a whoosh would be welcome! I am upping my water intake, using smooth move tea for a couple of nights, and eating a mix of raw and cooked select veggies as opposed to strictly cooked selects. Something's got to give...I have way to many pounds to go to have a stall this early on.

Bring on the whoosh!!
frawniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #7  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I think maybe reluctance to reply is because your expectations seem a bit high. You are into your 2nd week and have apparently lost 12 lbs. That is a woosh -- most of us experience this starting out on IP, but a downward scale reading every day is not going to happen beyond the first week for most people. By the end of the second week I would expect you will show more loss but it is likely to be a single digit.

If you look at the ticker numbers for most people here on 3FC IP who have been doing the diet for 4 or 5 months or more, you will see that the majority show losses of an average of 10 lbs a month. It is not unusual to drop 20 the first month -- depending on how much you have to lose, maybe even more. But the first week is usually the biggest drop of all. Gradually it gets into the 3 lbs a week range and then about 2 lbs a week.

The woosh many of us look for becomes anything more than 3 lbs in a week. And as you approach goal weight the losses can really slow. That's where I am -- losing very slowly, now. I would love to see a woosh of even 2 lbs.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #8  

Barri I think also not everyone reads and responds to each thread, and there are many people that only read/view for inspiration but don't write anything - you might want to try posting questions on the Daily Chat thread, most people check in there every day.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 232.8/See Ticker/175

I've been stuck at 205 since weigh in....HOPING for a Whoosh here shortly. Its also that Time for me.....so ANy time now!!! LOL
asmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #10  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
WOW! 407 views and not one reply!
I saw your post but didn't reply because I didn't have much to add. The short answer is: Never. I never see "whooshes." Occasionally if I am eating really badly and switch to low carb I can lose a pound or two quickly.

My losses are always slow even on IP. I have lost 3.4 pounds in 2 weeks. I consider my 0.6 pound loss last week a success!

I have yo-yoed up and down the same 20 pounds for years now and I have learned if I set myself up to expect whooshes or even steady weight loss, then I set myself up for disappointment. (Though I admit that the whoosh is nice ... I guess I had a mini-whoosh today of -1.8 pounds in one day... I fully expect my weight will bounce up some tomorrow.)

Personally I find it more helpful to make a commitment to a behavior -- follow IP strictly or start going to the gym or whatever -- for X amount of time and evaluate at the end of that period. For me it is 4 months on IP with basic exercise most days of the week (walking, yoga, jogging or strength-training of the physical therapy variety). People on IP seem to end up with great physiques even when their scale numbers are not that low and that is one aspect that interested me in this diet. I may not even have to lose that much weight if I can just lose some FAT.

Good luck to you, I hope you figure it out and can enjoy your 12 pound loss!

I'm off to check out that link about scale lies now... Being a slave to the scale stinks.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #11  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Also, don't weigh everyday. Or if you do (which I do), don't "count" but one a week. That helps to remove some of the fluctuations and see what the general trend is...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #12  

Thanks for everyone's responses...

I didn't have a 12lb loss my first week...that was my starting weight when I started dieting. I started at 180 last week so it has really only been 4lbs or so...this morning I was down to 175 though! YAY!!!

I seem to stay stuck a few days and then get a woosh...and 1-2lbs are gone. IDK why this happens to me rather then steady losses like everyone else.

I will try and stay off the scale...it is so hard though! I wake up every morning and run to the scale to see what/if I have lost anything. It is how things have been for me for the last 15 years!

Thanks again everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
I think maybe reluctance to reply is because your expectations seem a bit high. You are into your 2nd week and have apparently lost 12 lbs. That is a woosh -- most of us experience this starting out on IP, but a downward scale reading every day is not going to happen beyond the first week for most people. By the end of the second week I would expect you will show more loss but it is likely to be a single digit.

If you look at the ticker numbers for most people here on 3FC IP who have been doing the diet for 4 or 5 months or more, you will see that the majority show losses of an average of 10 lbs a month. It is not unusual to drop 20 the first month -- depending on how much you have to lose, maybe even more. But the first week is usually the biggest drop of all. Gradually it gets into the 3 lbs a week range and then about 2 lbs a week.

The woosh many of us look for becomes anything more than 3 lbs in a week. And as you approach goal weight the losses can really slow. That's where I am -- losing very slowly, now. I would love to see a woosh of even 2 lbs.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #13  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
I seem to stay stuck a few days and then get a woosh...and 1-2lbs are gone. IDK why this happens to me rather then steady losses like everyone else.
Believe me, the rest of us aren't seeing steady losses either! Weight loss is not linear.

Below is the graph of my weight loss for my first month on IP. I did not weigh daily the first two weeks, but after that, I was curious how my body shed weight throughout the week.

I found out that my body maintains or gains my weight during the week, and then I drop all my weight during the weekend. This happens every single week.

The pattern you are seeing is the same as the rest of us!

ImASharkIPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 232.8/See Ticker/175

SHARK....that's about what my graph looks like! UPs and downs, but I always end on the down side. Sorta seems weird, but I do the same things on the week days as I do the weekends, but always end up good!
asmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #15  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

I actually did see a woosh on my official WI today - down 4 lbs for the week! This after up and down and up and down and up and down for the past month!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote