3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6

Angry THE not-so IDEAL PROTEIN DIET

I have been on ideal protein for 4 weeks now and have been 100% compliant. I have only lost 5 lbs. Some people think that is a great number because it is after all some weight loss. I tend to disagree. I am losing weight on this starvation diet at the same rate I lost weight on Jenny Craig eating 1500 calories a day. In fact, I lost 50 lbs in six months on Jenny Craig in 2008 eating up to 1700 calories a day and exercising on the elliptical. I was tiny.

Fast forward two years, my dad and both grandparent die within a year and I fell apart. I ate myself to death and 50 more lbs.

Some info about me: I am 43, have PCOS (not on metformin just bc pills), have 50 lbs to lose at 5 feet tall. I have had issues with my weight the past two years and have had every test under the sun. I was referred to an endocrinologist a couple of months ago and did at least 30 different tests including all thyroid tests and a thyroid scan. All of my test results have come back totally normal. I am not peri menopausal. No thryroid issues.

I am on ideal protein as a last resort. The weight flew off all of my friends (including menopausal and post-hysterectomy people). Everyone has awesome energy and they love ideal. I am struggling. Not only is the weight not flying off - I am fatigued, bloated, starving, exhausted, and emotional. I take all the supplements plus the olive oil plus the salt.

It is just frustrating to feel so icky and not see awesome results. This diet is no faster for me than calorie counting and Jenny Craig.

What gives?

Last edited by dallas4u; 04-09-2015 at 04:04 PM.
dallas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5

S/C/G: 228/202/140

Height: 5'3"

Default

I'm also struggling as you are w/ IP! Only 7lbs in a month, no cheating... They think since I only work part time and because of pain issues don't move around much after 6 pm, I need less calories. I just started cutting out 2 oz of dinner and no bars or chips for snack only pudding or drink and no chili. I did finally go back to the gym today and did very slowly 15 min on the bike and 30 on the treadmill also slowly. They are setting up an appointment with the ip rep to talk with me. I'm so disgusted bUt am watch ing my husband fat melt off of him. I shop, cook, a and do the dishes and he loses the weight- 27lbs in a month!
Cattech78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
Reboot 31 January 2017
 
Briael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,288

S/C/G: 260/260/160

Height: 5'6

Default

You don't mention your starting weight on your profile so I would look at three things.

1. your basal metabolic rate. In a regular eating world this is the barest minimum of calories you should be eating to maintain regular body functions. As you know, IP takes us out of this anabolic style metabolism and runs us on a "dual fuel" system of anabolic (from diet) and catabolic (from ketosis) which means you should be losing without distress or too much difficulty. Take a look at Ankerl's Keto Calc to find where your normal BMR is.

I mention this because if your health checks came back within normal tolerances, it is possible that you are consuming too FEW calories for your current metabolism.

2. Your body weight. Many coaches look at your starting weight and how long you have been in the obese category before deciding whether to suggest an extra packet. General rule of thumb is 4 packets a day (plus your lean protein meal) at 250lbs or more. Some people find they do better with the transitional weeks if they put an extra packet in anyway, while the body is adjusting.

EDIT: Don't forget that you should also be squeezing in your free salad veggies - lettuce, cucumber - whenever you can, as it will help with constipation (and associated gas buildup) and ensure that you are getting additional water and a few more calories that your body process quickly.

3. You could have inflammation from a minor allergy or sensitivity to some of the ingredients in the IP products. There isn't a standard, it's a mix of whey, casein (milk based proteins) and soy (plant based) and a mix of sugar alternatives (sucralose and acesulfame potassium). If you keep a diary of your foods read the packets and see if you can identify common ingredients on days when you feel particularly bloated or unwell.

The only other question is whether you use water additives for flavouring? Some people are ultra sensitive to artifical sweetener and the amount of sodium in them can cause gas and sodium bloat which inhibits weight loss. The only way to flush that out is with a lot more water.

If you're doing this via a clinic I would be inclined to ask for some advice on potential causes - you're paying a lot of money for their services (and they also have access to the medical experts behind the protocol for advice) and you should be seeing benefit from it after 8 weeks.

Best of luck.
__________________
- Amanda



26 Aug 2014 to 15 May 2015 lost 101lbs
Reboot 31 January 2017

Last edited by Briael; 04-09-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
CO_6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 242

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

Default

Everyone is different of course, but it is a little discouraging and perhaps a little misleading that "seems" like everyone is having super fast losses. I have lost about 35lbs and that is over A YEAR.

I think those of us that struggle to lose the weight on IP despite all efforts dont speak out enough. We should represent!

That being said, hang in there and give it a little more time and to make sure your thyroid is in good condition. As long as the scale is moving!!

I will be phasing off for a short period and seeing if there is movement.
__________________
Reboot
CO_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
canadjineh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,362

S/C/G: 163/135/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 53 yrs old

Default

quote: "I am on ideal protein as a last resort."
Just wondering why you did not continue with Jenny Craig if that works the same for you as this does? Sounds like you might be happier on Jenny Craig. Not everyone has the same results or the same bodies. Wishing you the best in your health journey... Did you have PCOS when you lost the weight in 2008? I know from what others who have PCOS have said that it is VERY difficult for them to lose weight.
__________________

Maintenance since March 5, 2014
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
quote: "I am on ideal protein as a last resort."
Just wondering why you did not continue with Jenny Craig if that works the same for you as this does? Sounds like you might be happier on Jenny Craig. Not everyone has the same results or the same bodies. Wishing you the best in your health journey... Did you have PCOS when you lost the weight in 2008? I know from what others who have PCOS have said that it is VERY difficult for them to lose weight.
Okay to answer some questions above -

I weigh 159. Started at 164. According to my dr, I should weigh 105-119. My BMI is 37.5 (or so).

I have had PCOS my entire life.

I do not live near Jenny Craig and shipping runs $120 a month. When I was on it, I lived near a JC center.

The only thing I drink is water or iced lemon zinger tea. I do not use additives to my water or tea. OH yeah - I do drink coffee in the morning with Walden Farms Vanilla Creamer.

I have been bloated from day one. then I will have a bowel movement and still feel bloated.

My exhaustion level is unreal.

I really hope I am just going thru a phase I can push through.
dallas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
canadjineh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,362

S/C/G: 163/135/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 53 yrs old

Default

Hi dallas4u: this 3FC site might help out too...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ce-support-70/
It's the site for anyone with endocrine disorders, also some links to articles that may help. Not pushing you away from here, just suggesting possible add for assistance.
Liana
__________________

Maintenance since March 5, 2014
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Grateful4Health's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 825

S/C/G: 237/162/160

Height: 5’7" - 47 years old - Started IP P1 3/26/14, Maintenance/P4 3/18/15

Default

dallas4u is your clinic at a doctor’s office? I really needed my doctor’s help. My thyroid tests showed OK but I actually needed thyroid, being on IP uncovered it, I was exhausted and starving and crazy constipated (more so than IP would cause) and all of the classic thyroid symptoms. None of the great “ketonic energy and highs” that people describe.
Within two to three days of being on thyroid it was like magic. My doctor said the tests don’t always find it.

Everything you were advised above is right on in my opinion as far as possible directions to consider- FYI several of the people I very much respect their experience and have found them really helpful to my progress and learning.

Like CO 6 mentioned, my weight loss was also slower than others, and I had several long plateaus. It was worth sticking it out for me, my body really changed, and now that I am on maintenance, my metabolism really has gotten much better. I can eat about 1600-1800 calories of good healthy food without gaining weight - prior to IP I gained weight on 1200 even with heavy exercise.

Like Amanda mentioned, I also had to eat more than most in order to lose weight, if I ate too little the weight loss slowed or stopped. It was a tricky balance to find, but as I kept working it I found it. I treat my body these days like a sensitive race horse - have to really watch how I care for it so it can run at maximum potential.
__________________
Amber

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 04-10-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
hysteria_625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,240

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
dallas4u is your clinic at a doctor’s office? I really needed my doctor’s help. My thyroid tests showed OK but I actually needed thyroid, being on IP uncovered it, I was exhausted and starving and crazy constipated (more so than IP would cause) and all of the classic thyroid symptoms. None of the great “ketonic energy and highs” that people describe.
Within two to three days of being on thyroid it was like magic. My doctor said the tests don’t always find it.
Dallas - I know you say you've been tested but total TSH (which is what the majority of Doctors test) is NOT very accurate (sorry, I didn't see below how you've been tested).

Here is a GREAT website with information about hypothyroidism:
http://www.thyroidchange.org/about-thyroid-disease.html

...and their suggestions for testing: "To test for hypothyroidism, a physician should administer the following labs: Free T3, Free T4, TSH, and Reverse T3. TPOab and TgAb should also be tested as well to screen for Hashimoto's."

I think I started having thyroid issues in the early 2000's but went unRx until 2008 (I was always tested at my yearly physical & was always "within range" regardless of symptoms) when my total TSH went above 5 & I thought I was developing heart disease b/c of the palps. Like Grateful, it only took a couple days to feel SO much better. Also, after being medicated & retested, realized my TSH really needs to be around /< 1! Depending on your doctor, 1.5 - 4 can be normal but I feel like a slug when I test above 1.5
__________________
Beth

- Rock and Roll Half Marathon, Washington DC 3/12/16: 2:11:29
- Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, Washington DC 4/3/16: 1:40:14
- Manassas Airport 10K 4/17/16: Finished 59:02
- Virginia Wine Country Half Marathon, Hillsboro, VA 6/4/16: 2:18:34
- Navy/Air Force Half Marathon, Washington DC 9/18/16: 2:21:47
- Prince William Half Marathon, Gainesville, VA 9/24/16: 2:11:51
- Rock and Roll Marathon , Washington DC 3/11/17

-30.0 04/04/2015
-40.0 04/27/2015
-50.0 06/02/2015
-60.0 07/02/2015
-70.0 08/16/2015
-80.0 09/24/2015
-90.0 12/19/2015
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
Dallas - I know you say you've been tested but total TSH (which is what the majority of Doctors test) is NOT very accurate (sorry, I didn't see below how you've been tested).

Here is a GREAT website with information about hypothyroidism:
http://www.thyroidchange.org/about-thyroid-disease.html

...and their suggestions for testing: "To test for hypothyroidism, a physician should administer the following labs: Free T3, Free T4, TSH, and Reverse T3. TPOab and TgAb should also be tested as well to screen for Hashimoto's."

I think I started having thyroid issues in the early 2000's but went unRx until 2008 (I was always tested at my yearly physical & was always "within range" regardless of symptoms) when my total TSH went above 5 & I thought I was developing heart disease b/c of the palps. Like Grateful, it only took a couple days to feel SO much better. Also, after being medicated & retested, realized my TSH really needs to be around /< 1! Depending on your doctor, 1.5 - 4 can be normal but I feel like a slug when I test above 1.5
I had all of those tests plus a thyroid scan ultrasound after my primary dr sent me to an endocrinologist. The endo (who is hip to pcos and other female issues) found nothing. I had at least 30 thyroid, endocrine, and hormonal tests. They took so much blood from me. These tests and thyroid scan all occurred in Dec 2014. The endo was very thorough
dallas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Grateful4Health's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 825

S/C/G: 237/162/160

Height: 5’7" - 47 years old - Started IP P1 3/26/14, Maintenance/P4 3/18/15

Default

Dallas, I am certainly not a doctor nor have any expertise, if you think it might be thyroid, maybe see if your doctor would just put on you on a low dose for a week or two.... just a thought.... to see if it helps something.... of course it could very well have nothing to do with that.

All I could do was keep going the last 10 years was keep exploring, keep asking questions, keep respectfully "demanding" from the health practitioners that we solve my health issues, and not just to shrug their shoulders. Good luck!!!!
__________________
Amber

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 04-10-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
WoodLily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 147

S/C/G: 158/144/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas4u View Post
I have been on ideal protein for 4 weeks now and have been 100% compliant. I have only lost 5 lbs. Some people think that is a great number because it is after all some weight loss.
Have you checked to see if you are in ketosis by using the Ketostix or Ketone test strips? I went into ketosis on day 3 or 4.
__________________


"If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've always got."

-- W. L. Bateman
WoodLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
shasta10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Washington DC metro area
Posts: 240

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Default

Dallas - Are you losing inches? Are you definitely eating all the food? I lost about 9 pounds my first month and actually only lost .6 the first week. I was shocked that the scale only showed less then a pound after that first week because I felt very hungry but I could tell almost immediately in my clothes that I had lost weight so I didn't get too upset. But I did have a nice 3 pound weight loss the next week.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:28 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
Dallas - Are you losing inches? Are you definitely eating all the food? I lost about 9 pounds my first month and actually only lost .6 the first week. I was shocked that the scale only showed less then a pound after that first week because I felt very hungry but I could tell almost immediately in my clothes that I had lost weight so I didn't get too upset. But I did have a nice 3 pound weight loss the next week.
I only lost an inch off my thighs and 1/2 inch on arms. Nothing else.

I have a dr appt in two weeks to see if more tests can be performed.

I'm so bloated and exhausted. The coach told me she has never seen such a slow weight loss in any client ever. I feel like a failure. I seriously think they think I'm cheating

My clothes fit the same as day one. Tight.

Last edited by dallas4u; 04-11-2015 at 01:29 AM.
dallas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
shasta10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Washington DC metro area
Posts: 240

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas4u View Post
I only lost an inch off my thighs and 1/2 inch on arms. Nothing else.

I have a dr appt in two weeks to see if more tests can be performed.

I'm so bloated and exhausted. The coach told me she has never seen such a slow weight loss in any client ever. I feel like a failure. I seriously think they think I'm cheating

My clothes fit the same as day one. Tight.
Dallas - It sounds like something else is going on so I think it is smart to get it checked out. I understand the feeling of failure but if you are following the program (I believe you!) then something else is going on that is causing this.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 AM.



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2