Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 240.2/144/145

Height: 5'5.5"

I thought the peach-mango was undrinkable, and in fact I might have tossed it after a sip. The pina colada is much better in my opinion.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/140/120

Height: 5'2"

NSV- I did not cheat on my diet! I also was not even temped! My family is so supportive and made me my own special IP dinner plate and for dessert I made my IP chocolate pudding, with my Marshmello WF on top!

WI- Is today and I weighed myself this morning with no changes in a full week. This is sad news to me, but I have still stayed OP
Old 04-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #18  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieCJ View Post
I bought my first IP peach-mango drink mix yesterday and it has a very strong chemical odor and taste. Is this normal? I am now afraid to drink it!
Susie, I really liked the peach-mango drink, but IMO the best way to have it is blended with ice and a handful of spinach. It thins it out a little and it tastes really nice. Maybe give that a try before you give up on it!

Edit: Actually I had the ready-to-drink version, I'm not sure if that would taste the same as the mix or not. I did have the pina colada mix and I didn't like that too much. But hopefully it works out, it's no fun to have a box of expensive IP food you don't even want to eat (for me, that was the pasta...)

Last edited by LuckyDVL; 04-07-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #19  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconde12 View Post
WI- Is today and I weighed myself this morning with no changes in a full week. This is sad news to me, but I have still stayed OP
Maybe you'll be like me. I have weeks of .5lb losses and once in a while like yesterday a 3.6lb loss to make up for it.

Funny how my body works. My commute takes me right past the Lamb Weston factory where they make french fries, mashed potatoes, hash browns and other favorite potato products for restaurants. This morning it was all I could smell for about 3 miles. My salivary glands have been wild and my stomach talking every since! Time to dive into my cappuccino RTD.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 196/174/150

Default Peach Mango Drink, Cont. and Safety Concerns

LuckyDVL, Thanks for your response. My coach said the strong chemical odor was abnormal and she would let me trade the remaining box for something else -- which is good because I refuse to drink that again. I consumed the drink around noon yesterday and my urine had the same strong chemical odor this morning. Nothing else new was added to my diet so I'm assuming it was the peach-mango drink.

This raises another issue with me. What federal agency regulates IP products? How do we know we are consuming something safe? Can someone who is an 'old-timer' or has greated knowledge than me please address this? I assumed that because my internist recommened IP to me and because an established doctor's office in a large metropolitan area (Wash, DC) adminsters IP, that IP products were safe. I'm not saying they aren't but it would be remiss of me not to look into it after the peach-mango issue. I do take solace in the fact that IP has been in use for several/many years and no safety issues have arisen.

Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #21  

SusieCJ,
Others may be able to respond with better information, but I can share the following:
1. Here are two links about the facility that makes the products:

http://www.idealprotein.com/ca/ideal...-loss-partners
http://www.pharmalab.ca/

2. I used exclusively IP products (not alternative ones) for a year. I am extremely sensitive to foods and smells. As I was writing with you before, I didn't love the taste, but it didn't have any ill effects on me other than the typical ketogenic diet affects of constipation and bad breath. The bad breath did subside a little over time, and I handled the constipation with magnesium. I personally didn't have any hair loss or other things like that.

I also use IP through my doctor, who is a DO and very particular about things. For me, the protein was used very well in my body and I felt very good about the IP protein quality, even though I wasn't thrilled about the artificial flavoring. Now that I am on maintenance, I have a few IP products leftover that I still use every few days, and they seem to still be fine. What I notice about them is that my body utilizes the protein very quickly - i.e. if I am having a need for protein, I can feel it uses it more quickly then it would with meat or something. That could totally be my imagination of course

I put quite a bit of thought and research into all of this, and in the end (and this is what I continue to feel) the health effects of being overweight far outweighed whatever effect the IP products and ketogenic VLC diet would have. So far that is clearly true for me, so much health-wise has cleared up now - back pain, overall pain, digestive problems, discomfort overall, blood sugar swings that caused mood swings, headaches, sleep problems... there are more. So that's the way I looked at it.

This of course is just my experience. Others may have more or better things to help with. Good luck! These are important questions you are asking yourself.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 04-07-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
I bought my first IP peach-mango drink mix yesterday and it has a very strong chemical odor and taste. Is this normal? I am now afraid to drink it!
LOL, perhaps that is why I liked it so much that I alternated it with the Wildberry yogourt drink for breakfast.
The peach mango drink totally reminded me of those 'Fuzzy Peach' gummie candies that I used to order for the swimming pool concession when I was in the Recreation Dept.
If yours was 'off' that's totally different though.
Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 04-07-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #23  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

Well. I've learned my lesson this week. I can no longer watch any food-related reality shows.

Watched a Bar Rescue today and now I'm having my first craving since I started IP. Dammit pizza...

Might try making some cauli-crust with seasoned tomatoes and veggies sometime this week, see if it will curb my cravings.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Quote:
NSV- I did not cheat on my diet! I also was not even temped! My family is so supportive and made me my own special IP dinner plate and for dessert I made my IP chocolate pudding, with my Marshmello WF on top!

You may not have lost weight, BUT I'll bet you lost inches and you stayed OP that's GREAT news!!! Keep up the great work!!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #25  

Default Safety Concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
SusieCJ,
Others may be able to respond with better information, but I can share the following:
1. Here are two links about the facility that makes the products:

http://www.idealprotein.com/ca/ideal...-loss-partners
http://www.pharmalab.ca/

2. I used exclusively IP products (not alternative ones) for a year. I am extremely sensitive to foods and smells. As I was writing with you before, I didn't love the taste, but it didn't have any ill effects on me other than the typical ketogenic diet affects of constipation and bad breath. The bad breath did subside a little over time, and I handled the constipation with magnesium. I personally didn't have any hair loss or other things like that.

I also use IP through my doctor, who is a DO and very particular about things. For me, the protein was used very well in my body and I felt very good about the IP protein quality, even though I wasn't thrilled about the artificial flavoring. Now that I am on maintenance, I have a few IP products leftover that I still use every few days, and they seem to still be fine. What I notice about them is that my body utilizes the protein very quickly - i.e. if I am having a need for protein, I can feel it uses it more quickly then it would with meat or something. That could totally be my imagination of course

I put quite a bit of thought and research into all of this, and in the end (and this is what I continue to feel) the health effects of being overweight far outweighed whatever effect the IP products and ketogenic VLC diet would have. So far that is clearly true for me, so much health-wise has cleared up now - back pain, overall pain, digestive problems, discomfort overall, blood sugar swings that caused mood swings, headaches, sleep problems... there are more. So that's the way I looked at it.

This of course is just my experience. Others may have more or better things to help with. Good luck! These are important questions you are asking yourself.
Thank you for your response. Okay, I'll calm down (not that you said that!) but the offensive odor was so strong, it even permeated the kitchen! I know that I am hyper-sensitive to smells, so this diet will be a challenge for me. I remember refusing to take another bite of my tilapia at a chain restaurant because the fish smelled (and tasted) of a cleaning product. Then, I once returned a cantelope to a reputable grocery store because it reeked of chemicals/fertilizers -- but in my defense, everyone agreed! Okay enough said.

Yes, despite my 'smell' issues, I will continue with this diet. Short term pain for life-long gain!

Tee hee, one last story: I can smell mold immediately when walking into an affected area. My brother and his wife had an undected slow-leaking pipe in their kitchen and I told them to get their house inspected for mold. Long story short, they had about $50,000 worth of mold damage to their home (covered by insurance). Drywall, hardwood floors, ceilings, basement carpeting, etc. had to be replaced! I feel similar to a drug-sniffing dog!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #26  
In it for the long haul!

S/C/G: 201/162/140

Quote:

You go, girl. Hang in there. Some weeks that will happen. I bet you'll see a NSV instead!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #27  

Default Canadian Products....

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
LOL, perhaps that is why I liked it so much that I alternated it with the Wildberry yogourt drink for breakfast.
The peach mango drink totally reminded me of those 'Fuzzy Peach' gummie candies that I used to order for the swimming pool concession when I was in the Recreation Dept.
If yours was 'off' that's totally different though.
Liana
Liana, thank you for your response. But now I want some Peach Gummy Candies!

Also, since you are Canadian, I have to add that whenever I see that something is made or grown in Canada, I feel assured that it is a safe product. And I know that IP products are mostly(?) produced in Canada -- as are the numerous seedless cucumbers I am consuming on this diet!
Old 04-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 187/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a couple of days, as I was kind of in a funk and having some diet fatigue. I cheated a couple of times (few bites of cinnamon roll, little extra protein in a steak, couple table spoons of ranch dressing). I did so good throughout actual Easter, but when I came to work yesterday, someone brought in these huge peep "bouquets". I LOVE peeps, they are hands down my favorite Easter candy. I resisted for quite awhile, but yesterday was an extremely stressful day at work as I was barely staying on top of all the briefs that are due, etc., so I finally caved and ate three peeps. To my surprise, when I weighed in last night (even after all of my cheats this week), I was down 2.2 pounds, and actually lower than I weighed in on my own scale in the morning. Both are the same scales I've been using the whole time, and usually my home scale is lower (as I weigh in the morning, buck nekkid). You'd think that would give me the mindset that I can cheat and still do fine, but I feel like I've knocked myself out of ketosis, as I don't feel as good, and I have a lot more cravings. Instead, it gave me the motivation to recommit to 100%, as I don't want to waste my money and I want to keep seeing losses, I'm just happy I didn't have a gain, as I think that would have discouraged me even more than I already was.

I'm really ready for this work week to be over already! I have so much stuff due, though it certainly has helped by billables!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle14 View Post
Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a couple of days, as I was kind of in a funk and having some diet fatigue. I cheated a couple of times (few bites of cinnamon roll, little extra protein in a steak, couple table spoons of ranch dressing). I did so good throughout actual Easter, but when I came to work yesterday, someone brought in these huge peep "bouquets". I LOVE peeps, they are hands down my favorite Easter candy. I resisted for quite awhile, but yesterday was an extremely stressful day at work as I was barely staying on top of all the briefs that are due, etc., so I finally caved and ate three peeps. To my surprise, when I weighed in last night (even after all of my cheats this week), I was down 2.2 pounds, and actually lower than I weighed in on my own scale in the morning. Both are the same scales I've been using the whole time, and usually my home scale is lower (as I weigh in the morning, buck nekkid). You'd think that would give me the mindset that I can cheat and still do fine, but I feel like I've knocked myself out of ketosis, as I don't feel as good, and I have a lot more cravings. Instead, it gave me the motivation to recommit to 100%, as I don't want to waste my money and I want to keep seeing losses, I'm just happy I didn't have a gain, as I think that would have discouraged me even more than I already was.

I'm really ready for this work week to be over already! I have so much stuff due, though it certainly has helped by billables!
glad you made it through AND saw a loss Legal. I think 99% of us can relate. The last 4 days for me have been general work stress and PMS (again - UGH!!!!!!). I really thought I was going to cave the other day - made DD10 a BLT with Veggie Straws (picture Homer Simpson with a doughnut lol ) I resisted the BLT but ate a little extra protein and super-salty jicama fries.
Willpower isn't infinite and I commend you for your re-commitment!

Last edited by hysteria_625; 04-07-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 176/157.6/145

Height: 5'7

Talking

Quote:

Destony, I had the same dream two nights ago except it involved Panera and bread! It must be like the nightmares I had when I was in college--where I forgot to drop a class and found out I had to take the exam. (And I still have that college dream to this day!)
I mix mine in the blender with ice, and 2 cups of spinach and a chunk of cucumber, it than tastes fairly good. Maybe try that!
Closed Thread