Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #76  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Ohhhh, and another couple of interesting links to share:- (let me know if this gets annoying, please. I just like the scientific debunking of government "guidelines" and premises that are made without any quantification and accepted into doctrine as fact rather than opinion).

NuSi's comment/feedback - nusi.org is their home site. Dr Peter Attia of TED Talks "obesity and insulin resistance" fame is one of the partners here.

DGAC 2015 "Scientific" report of Dietary Guidelines.
Amanda I loved these articles thank you. Especially the one on the first post before this one.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 04-10-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #77  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

*does the happy tail shaking dance*

Hubby bought me a new black suit today, as my existing black blazer fits him better than me (6'3 and with shoulders like a linebacker!). My new one is a size EIGHT. Yes, an 8. I can't believe I could get it done up (waist is about half inch too small and the hips on both pants and jacket need about 1" to 1.5" wiggle room so they drape properly, but I still have 25ish pounds to go and I am planning ahead.

If the worst happened and I needed to wear it now, I could. It wouldn't be super comfortable but it's wearable.

The last time I could wear an 8 I was around 10 years old. Still can't wrap my head around being this size. I think I scared the checkout lady with my ear-to-ear grin and inability to stop hopping from foot to foot.

Scales have been happy for me the last two days, too. Now it's time to go get those 4 miles in and burn off the third of a portion of the Smashburger mint oreo thickshake that hubby "needed" after watching me try on FIVE pieces of clothing. I need a girlfriend to shop with.

Last edited by Briael; 04-11-2015 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #78  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Howdy Summer 2014 Starters!

I had my weigh in yesterday - only 0.6 lbs... but downward is good. I did not have any changes in inches either. Apparently that piece of cake contributed to slowing me down, and I know I was short on water intake this week. Once again, it's time to remind myself daily of the little details.

One other issue I have to share is that I have been having a lot of lower leg cramps lately... I realized that I have gotten off my potassium... kind of forgot about it when I ran out of the IP potassium, so it has been weeks and weeks since I last took it. I bought some at GNC and began taking it yesterday, and I hope this together with the Magnesium will help my leg cramps. I imagine staying up on my water will help too.

Just as an update - my aggravating boss left our agency for his new job this week, but before he left, he made a number of reassignments of existing employees, including me. I am quite unhappy with my current situation - I have been shifted out to a lower level organization. Working with a nice enough person, but the whole arrangement feels very much like a slap in the face, and I no longer have the support of anyone who can do anything about it. First time I have been in a situation like this in my entire work life. I am still looking for another place to land and hope that I'll find something better than where I am now.

Something will eventually work out, or eventually I will detach from my work enough to stop feeling quite so bad about it. The good thing about this is that I am not eating my way through the daily upset -- i am continuing to take pride in my weight loss results and in my ability to keep my personal priorities straight. This is good.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

If it is a lower level organization, oneuh2, perhaps you can be a big fish in a small pond and do some amazing things that look great on a resume. ie, increased sales revenue for the quarter by 10% compared with the quarter before you got there (or whatever, you know what I mean, I'm sure...). Keep track of anything that looks like this and make sure you get it documented. And if you make a connection with a nice co-worker, you never know where the networking can lead. That's the main way to get into a new job these days - it's all a hidden market and who you know, best tapping into mainly peripheral friends, since you don't have the same social circle and note different opportunities. I was reading a very good article on this a little while ago.
Good that you aren't turning to food to deal with this - you have new coping tools! In the meantime, there is always dance . Yaaay!

Liana
Old 04-11-2015, 01:02 AM   #80  

Amanda that’s fantastic. I loved that stage where you get some clothes you already love but slightly too small, and then suddenly at some point they are fitting perfectly. It’s so satisfying.

Oneuh2, I have to say it is incredible that you are saying OP given everything, awesome success! I had several radical life changes during my year on IP - moved 2 hours away, international travel, financial changes, relationship changes, and a job situation occurred very similar to the one you describe. (By the way what I ended up doing was very similar to what Liana outlined - I got all my ducks in a row, networked, and found another job. I think that was a testament to my new-found fiber and strength and determination from succeeding with my food program - I had the “balls” so to speak to be strong. That may happen within your job also without needing to leave. Now at my new job, of course there are always some cons with the pros, nothing is perfect, and I am also learning to handle the cons better and “detach” from them as you mentioned. And, the big success is during it all I took care of myself and stayed the course with my health and diet.

Also, about 3/4 into the program I had to add a few packets of the Mangosteen a day to my water to feel like my potassium/electrolyte balance was where it needed to be, in addition to the 1/2 tsp ideal salt (which I drank in the morning mixed with hot water and a squeeze of lemon) and the Potassium supplement. The salt was something that I really noticed if I missed a day.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 04-11-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Good Saturday Morning All

One - Sorry about the job situation. Make the best of it until you find something better which I know you will.... You are a strong person

Well my IP coach decided that this week she was shaking things up for me and cut out my 2 pieces of chocolate raspberry that I had every night with my smooth move....for months that combo was keeping the pipes moving....Now nada...Ugh I hate constipation. So I am trying to follow her orders, but if this goes on another day I'm done with her suggestion LOL... those 2 little pieces of chocolate were enough to keep me going I don't care about the extra calories and if I am only losing 1 lb a week doing that....well at least I will be done in 21 weeks LOL. I cant wait to add fruit back into my diet LOL...

Off to work today. Need to show 10 houses and then I will be home for the rest of the weekend. Trying to keep one of the weekend days free each week to spend with DH & DS. Although I do have to run up and check on a listing, other than that my day will be free...
Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
Howdy Summer 2014 Starters!

I had my weigh in yesterday - only 0.6 lbs... but downward is good. I did not have any changes in inches either. Apparently that piece of cake contributed to slowing me down, and I know I was short on water intake this week. Once again, it's time to remind myself daily of the little details.

One other issue I have to share is that I have been having a lot of lower leg cramps lately... I realized that I have gotten off my potassium... kind of forgot about it when I ran out of the IP potassium, so it has been weeks and weeks since I last took it. I bought some at GNC and began taking it yesterday, and I hope this together with the Magnesium will help my leg cramps. I imagine staying up on my water will help too.

Just as an update - my aggravating boss left our agency for his new job this week, but before he left, he made a number of reassignments of existing employees, including me. I am quite unhappy with my current situation - I have been shifted out to a lower level organization. Working with a nice enough person, but the whole arrangement feels very much like a slap in the face, and I no longer have the support of anyone who can do anything about it. First time I have been in a situation like this in my entire work life. I am still looking for another place to land and hope that I'll find something better than where I am now.

Something will eventually work out, or eventually I will detach from my work enough to stop feeling quite so bad about it. The good thing about this is that I am not eating my way through the daily upset -- i am continuing to take pride in my weight loss results and in my ability to keep my personal priorities straight. This is good.
Oneoh - Hang in there. I have a close friend who just left your agency out of disgust. She did it without a safety net but needed to do it to save her sanity. Since we live in the same area we are now a network. If you are interested at all send me an e-mail and we can linkedin together! As for staying on program, is this the sort of situation that would have you stress eating (it would be for me!). I had a couple situations while on program where I wanted to stress eat and I think I did but my stress eating was to eat an extra IP bar. Still a cheat but not a whole box of girl scout cookies!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #83  
oneuh2

Thanks for the kind remarks and encouragement, everyone!

I really am ready to retire mentally but not quite ready financially - I am eligible to walk away from the federal govt today. My work situation has some very addictive factors - I am able to work from home as much as I like, and I have extensive technology tools that I am able to use personally, too - both iPhone and iPad. And transit benefits for the days that I do bus in to the office. Most other federal agencies are not nearly as generous in this regard. I confess, it's hard to walk away from that.

But, I guess I have run out of patience with today's govt work environment. It may be time to build some private sector connections and see if I can find something part time in an area of interest... Towel attendant at a fitness center...?

As you say, G4H, gotta get my ducks in a row, and move on to better things. Something will work out, one way or another, I am sure.

And Liana - you are so right - there is always Dancing!!

Last edited by oneuh2; 04-11-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #84  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 View Post
Well my IP coach decided that this week she was shaking things up for me and cut out my 2 pieces of chocolate raspberry that I had every night with my smooth move....for months that combo was keeping the pipes moving....Now nada...Ugh I hate constipation. So I am trying to follow her orders, but if this goes on another day I'm done with her suggestion LOL... those 2 little pieces of chocolate were enough to keep me going I don't care about the extra calories and if I am only losing 1 lb a week doing that....well at least I will be done in 21 weeks LOL. I cant wait to add fruit back into my diet LOL...
I take the magnesium powder (2 tsp per day) with water. It has helped with aching muscles and constipation and it tastes quite nice. Reminds me of the electrolyte drinks we were made to drink as kids in Australia.

Quote:

I really am ready to retire mentally but not quite ready financially - I am eligible to walk away from the federal govt today. My work situation has some very addictive factors - I am able to work from home as much as I like, and I have extensive technology tools that I am able to use personally, too - both iPhone and iPad. And transit benefits for the days that I do bus in to the office. Most other federal agencies are not nearly as generous in this regard. I confess, it's hard to walk away from that.

But, I guess I have run out of patience with today's govt work environment. It may be time to build some private sector connections and see if I can find something part time in an area of interest... Towel attendant at a fitness center...?
20 years of British civil service here, too, so I know exactly how you feel about how much government changes on the whim of whichever party is in power, but not wanting to give up a secure job with some excellent perks and a good pension.

Love love love the idea of being a towel attendant. I have this vision of you holding towels for fit, sweaty young men with a big grin on your face.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #85  

Quote:
I take the magnesium powder (2 tsp per day) with water. It has helped with aching muscles and constipation and it tastes quite nice. Reminds me of the electrolyte drinks we were made to drink as kids in Australia.

20 years of British civil service here, too, so I know exactly how you feel about how much government changes on the whim of whichever party is in power, but not wanting to give up a secure job with some excellent perks and a good pension.

Love love love the idea of being a towel attendant. I have this vision of you holding towels for fit, sweaty young men with a big grin on your face.
Oneuh I also had to take quite a bit of magnesium through the P1 protocol. The "big C" was my nemesis the entire time.

And whatever you do next should definitely, definitely involve interactions with fit, sweaty young men. I think that should be the first thing on your resume under objectives. LOL.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #86  
oneuh2

You guys make me laugh! The towel attendant idea is one where I get a major discount on fitness trainer, classes and gym usage.... but the idea of sweaty guys adds a whole nother dimension...

My DH is 20 years my senior and had his 83rd birthday last month... we figure he is most likely to pass on before I do, and we joke about what I should do as widow.... He loves my plan to find a fine male nurse who can dance....
Old 04-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #87  
oneuh2

Quote:
*does the happy tail shaking dance*

Hubby bought me a new black suit today, as my existing black blazer fits him better than me (6'3 and with shoulders like a linebacker!). My new one is a size EIGHT. Yes, an 8. I can't believe I could get it done up (waist is about half inch too small and the hips on both pants and jacket need about 1" to 1.5" wiggle room so they drape properly, but I still have 25ish pounds to go and I am planning ahead.

If the worst happened and I needed to wear it now, I could. It wouldn't be super comfortable but it's wearable.

The last time I could wear an 8 I was around 10 years old. Still can't wrap my head around being this size. I think I scared the checkout lady with my ear-to-ear grin and inability to stop hopping from foot to foot.

Scales have been happy for me the last two days, too. Now it's time to go get those 4 miles in and burn off the third of a portion of the Smashburger mint oreo thickshake that hubby "needed" after watching me try on FIVE pieces of clothing. I need a girlfriend to shop with.
Amanda -- I love that you got this new suit to shrink into -- I bought some very nice pieces during the Xmas holidays when there were so many good buys on nice items, and I wish I had bought them in smaller sizes. I think I did not have a concept of actually getting smaller, even though I was coming down in size every week. To become smaller is definitely counter cultural in my life...

If you cannot find a shopping buddy - PM me and we can share cell numbers - you can text me pictures or if you have iPhone we can use Facetime - I will be glad to be your virtual remote shopping buddy!

Sue - I wondered if you might get to a point where someone might suggest omitting the choc raspberry candies... they seem SO yummy and probably add more extra carbs and sugars to the equation.

I have the same slow down that you are experiencing... I am figuring that the extra carbs from my Sobe Lifewaters have contributed to the slower losses now that I am getting closer to goal. I also think I need to move more... I keep remembering that info that someone (Avalon or Amanda) shared about how our bodies rid themselves of the lost pounds I would have bet it was bowel movement and urination, but instead the majority of the lost weight is cast off through breathing... to me that means moving more so that I breathe harder... Of course I am not doing the Couch to 5K thing... I am not a runner, nor have I created a routine of regular fitness walking. I think that is perhaps the missing link now for me.

Do you think that having your Smooth Moves without the candies might still carry you through with the anti constipation effect you have been having throughout your P1 program?

I used Avalon's recommendation and did the Ultimate Flora 7 day protocol (quite easy to do) and since then I have been using the daily lower dosage probiotic Utimate Flora -- the thread entitled Constipation has the specifics. It seems to have been quite effective, and I think maybe is better over the long haul because it is not a bowel stimulant per se. I am certainly no expert on this stuff, though - I can only share my experience, and that may or may not mean anything for anyone else - we are all different.

You have been doing so great, and your basic life activities fill every waking hour -- I don't need to tell you to 'hang in' -- you demonstrate that already every day!!!
Old 04-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Quote:
Amanda -- I love that you got this new suit to shrink into -- I bought some very nice pieces during the Xmas holidays when there were so many good buys on nice items, and I wish I had bought them in smaller sizes. I think I did not have a concept of actually getting smaller, even though I was coming down in size every week. To become smaller is definitely counter cultural in my life...

If you cannot find a shopping buddy - PM me and we can share cell numbers - you can text me pictures or if you have iPhone we can use Facetime - I will be glad to be your virtual remote shopping buddy!

Sue - I wondered if you might get to a point where someone might suggest omitting the choc raspberry candies... they seem SO yummy and probably add more extra carbs and sugars to the equation.

I have the same slow down that you are experiencing... I am figuring that the extra carbs from my Sobe Lifewaters have contributed to the slower losses now that I am getting closer to goal. I also think I need to move more... I keep remembering that info that someone (Avalon or Amanda) shared about how our bodies rid themselves of the lost pounds I would have bet it was bowel movement and urination, but instead the majority of the lost weight is cast off through breathing... to me that means moving more so that I breathe harder... Of course I am not doing the Couch to 5K thing... I am not a runner, nor have I created a routine of regular fitness walking. I think that is perhaps the missing link now for me.

Do you think that having your Smooth Moves without the candies might still carry you through with the anti constipation effect you have been having throughout your P1 program?

I used Avalon's recommendation and did the Ultimate Flora 7 day protocol (quite easy to do) and since then I have been using the daily lower dosage probiotic Utimate Flora -- the thread entitled Constipation has the specifics. It seems to have been quite effective, and I think maybe is better over the long haul because it is not a bowel stimulant per se. I am certainly no expert on this stuff, though - I can only share my experience, and that may or may not mean anything for anyone else - we are all different.

You have been doing so great, and your basic life activities fill every waking hour -- I don't need to tell you to 'hang in' -- you demonstrate that already every day!!!
thanks my friend! I had this damn constipation licked with my routine..LOL.. I get it that the extra calories may be there reason for my slowed loss, but I will take that over this bloated feeling anyday! Ugh. I took an AleoLax last night to try to clean me out. Working later today so this was the perfect day to do it.

Bought pork roast the other day so that I dinner tonight. I have to go up to one of my listings that is closing this week to make sure the owner did what she was supposed to when she moved out. Then stopping by an old friends place for a quick visit.

Still need to tackle the closet switch over from winter to summer clothes. Have been doing a little at a time, but the temps next week are supposed to be really nice so I want to pack up the real heavy stuff.... May work on that a bit this AM while I wait for the ALeolax to kick in and then tomorrow I can do all that laundry LOL..
Old 04-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

Briael's - WTG on the new suit! And a size 8 no less. Shopping is becoming so fun!! I know all about crazy looks from sales people. it is just the best and makes all this hard work worth it.

One - Yay on another loss this week! You are working it! How is weaning off the Sobe going? And I feel you on the job front. I am surprised that you old boss was able to make such job changes on their way out the door. As I am learning, no amount of money or perks can balance out being happy or feeling appreciated in your job. Work those contacts! I am a firm believer in things happening for a reason. Maybe this is your sign that bigger and better things are waiting for you out there!

I survived my cheat day yesterday...barely. A wine tour followed be a party at my house. First, I was so thankful to be home this weekend and see my son off to prom!! He was so handsome. I can't believe how fast time flies (sniff). I was able to get back in good time to see he and his girlfriend off. Met the GF's mom for the first time, help him with his boutinier and got lots of pics. The wine tour was lots of fun and the party at my house was late! I am feeling it this morning though! I am up 2.5lbs this morning and hung over. Reminds me why I have been so thankful the morning after parties on IP. I usually wake up feeling great while DH and friends are dragging.

And you know what? The food wasn't all that. The wine was good and there was one great cheese I munched on. Everything else was not as good and I remembered or expected it to be. My bad for not having some IP friendly appetizers as an option last night. I would have been just as happy with those. It was the wine that I enjoyed and the ladies that I went with.

Once again a reminder that it's about focusing on the people and relationships, not the food. It has taken 42yrs and 10mo on IP to knock that through thick scull. Now I look forward to 5 days of cravings while I get back into ketosis and get to the finish line!

BTW, for grins I tried to log my food/drink from yesterday into MFP. I skipped a lot of the snack foods from last night but entered much of what I could remember. MFP gave me a notice that if I ate like that everyday I would be up to 180lbs within 5 weeks. That's an eye opener!!

Hope everyone has a great OP Sunday!!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 233/-/135

Hi All! Its my second day on the IP diet... So far, so good. Got on the scale this morning and I haven't lost an ounce of weight! But hopefully - it gets much better!
Closed Thread