Old 03-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267/250/140

Height: 5-04

Default Has anyone has surgery while on Phase 1 of IP plan?

Hello!! My name is Shelly and I am currently on Phase 1 of the Ideal Protein plain. I have a brain AVM (a very close relative to a brain aneurysm) and I have to have a radiation surgery called Gamma Knife at the end of April, in which I will be in a twilight state twice in one day. Has anyone had any type of surgery while on the IP plan? Can we be in ketosis and have surgery? Thank you for any input!
AvasMommee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Surgery, especially something such as a Gamma Knife procedure should definitely be explained and discussed with your doctor/surgeon vs. any of us (despite how nice and helpful we all are).

Good luck!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

My doctor (who is the one who has me on Ideal Protein) had me phase off before my surgery. Even though IP is wonderful, it is still a strain on our bodies and we don't need the additional stress on our bodies as we go through something as traumatic as surgery. Good luck on your upcoming operation.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #4  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Hi Shelly - sorry to hear you're having issues. No fun.

Your medical team is really should be the ones you're discussing this with. There are various opinions on being in ketosis for surgery and your docs are the best ones to decide that.

I had 2 hernia surgeries while in P1 and my doctors were fine with me being in ketosis and staying on P1 through the surgeries. We did up my protein to promote healing.

Best of luck to you!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #5  

Thank you so much ladies for your help--you all are right, I DO need to let my surgeon know about the IP plan--I will let my DR know at my pre-op physical about the IP diet and we will go from there!! Thank you again!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/180.2/140

I had surgery on both my legs - muscle release, during the second month of IP phase one. I lost only 5 lb for the whole month but didn't have any problems with healing. I also felt good and didn't lose my motivation
Sevenhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #7  

That is great to hear Seven--I AM worried about losing my motivation!! It sounds my coach wants my to go on Phase 3 the week of surgery, then back on Phase 1 immediately after surgery--I am going to be put on steroids for the swelling of my brain and I am SO worried I will gain some weight back--but, I think I need to prioritize my needs at that point--my medical condition should take priority number one, I suppose...
Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommee007 View Post
That is great to hear Seven--I AM worried about losing my motivation!! It sounds my coach wants my to go on Phase 3 the week of surgery, then back on Phase 1 immediately after surgery--I am going to be put on steroids for the swelling of my brain and I am SO worried I will gain some weight back--but, I think I need to prioritize my needs at that point--my medical condition should take priority number one, I suppose...
This doesn't make any sense to me. Why put your body through the added physiological stress of transitioning back into ketosis immediately after brain surgery while your body is already under stress trying to recover? I'm not a medical professional (and you should absolutely ask your doctor), but I'd say either stay in ketosis (P1 or P2) or plan on being out of it through recovery.
Wahoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #9  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

I'm also uncomfortable giving too much "medical advice" but I just don't think it makes sense to be on a calorie deficit while trying to recover from surgery. Dieting is very stressful on your body, and if you told your surgeon you were planning on consuming 8-900 cals per day during recovery, I can guess what the answer would be. Not to mention, hospital food is about as far away from IP as you can get.

My "safe" suggestion would be, depending on what your doc says, phase off to a whole foods, maintenance diet. You don't have to gain weight (except maybe carb weight) and IP will still be here when you are recovered.
LuckyDVL is offline   Reply With Quote