Old 03-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplchaos View Post
It's been almost too easy. The thing I struggle with the most is taking all the vitamins. I'm not one to take pills (even for a headache) and now these big supplements have me gagging. It literally took me 3 hours to get them down today. No signs/struggles pertaining to ketosis. Day 2-headache, day 3-sick. I lost 2lbs/day for 1-3 and a 1/2 pound since day 3. But 6 1/2 pounds and 3" in week 1 ain't so bad.
I said almost too easy....then I threw up.
simplchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #17  

Simlchaos keep going - I was sick the first week also, actually used 3 of my sick days and didn't go to work just to make it easier. I had flu like symptoms. For the headaches I put about 1/2 to 1 tsp of the ideal salt in warm water with a squeeze of lemon - that usually made them get better (not always go away) within 15 minutes.
For me personally (everyone is different): The first three to four days were the hardest - the 2nd week much easier, 3rd week more breezy, 2nd month I had a lot of energy and felt really good, and that lasted until my last month on P1.
I drank the 1/2 tsp concoction every morning during ip and still do - I notice the difference when I don't - I get depleted.

Kira I know I got really lucky with my coach. I needed it - I had a lot of trouble during ip more with my hormones - had to add thyroid, change my progesterone levels several times - etc..... as I lost the weight my estrogen kept fluctuating and my periods got strange sometimes and also my energy would just drop out. So it helped me to keep going to be able to call or text when these things happened and sort it all out.
I'm still building my strength a little bit this month starting out p4 - but I feel good about it all and not stressed, and OK when I get tired.

I got smart last month and lightened up my commitments so that whenever I needed to take a night off I could, which helped a lot with stress and anxiety, so that I could feel really at ease when I needed to go slower for the day as my body reached its goal.

I have a unusually light load with work today so able to have some pleasure and little breaks posting on the boards today - it's nice for me to chat with you all

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 03-27-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
Simlchaos keep going - I was sick the first week also, actually used 3 of my sick days and didn't go to work just to make it easier. I had flu like symptoms. For the headaches I put about 1/2 to 1 tsp of the ideal salt in warm water with a squeeze of lemon - that usually made them get better (not always go away) within 15 minutes.
For me personally (everyone is different): The first three to four days were the hardest - the 2nd week much easier, 3rd week more breezy, 2nd month I had a lot of energy and felt really good, and that lasted until my last month on P1.
I drank the 1/2 tsp concoction every morning during ip and still do - I notice the difference when I don't - I get depleted.

Kira I know I got really lucky with my coach. I needed it - I had a lot of trouble during ip more with my hormones - had to add thyroid, change my progesterone levels several times - etc..... as I lost the weight my estrogen kept fluctuating and my periods got strange sometimes and also my energy would just drop out. So it helped me to keep going to be able to call or text when these things happened and sort it all out.
I'm still building my strength a little bit this month starting out p4 - but I feel good about it all and not stressed, and OK when I get tired.

I got smart last month and lightened up my commitments so that whenever I needed to take a night off I could, which helped a lot with stress and anxiety, so that I could feel really at ease when I needed to go slower for the day as my body reached its goal.

I have a unusually light load with work today so able to have some pleasure and little breaks posting on the boards today - it's nice for me to chat with you all
Thanks! Day 3 was bad. Today (day 6) it just came out of the blue. Well not entirely. It happened shortly after I took my first full dose of vitamins. Related? Maybe. Appreciate all the feedback you have given. I look forward to taking a stroll in the park and picking up a weight.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2site View Post
You/we ARE losing FAT working out....exercise is a critical part of "fat" loss.
The thing is with the scale...we're gaining muscle with the exercise (and I'm not talking only weight lifting..all kinds of exercise build lean muscle) and as we know an inch of muscle weighs more than an inch of fat.

I just recently started the elliptical machine at the gym and my whole body looks leaner and toned already.
That's how I've always viewed it. Then I read the IP papers and they say exercise burns our muscle mass instead of building it. I wish I could just lose with exercise because this diet thing and all it's stipulations confuse me.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #20  

Location: Emerald City - land of lush greenery & ample precipitation

S/C/G: 210/193.5/150

Height: 5'5

I am in week 2 and haven't been doing any exercising. However, after the first 3 weeks, I would like to go back to doing boot camp classes which is what I was doing before. I'm a little worried though because the classes can be intense. It's basically 45 minutes of doing things like burpees, kettle bell lifts, jumping jacks, etc. while moving around the room from station to station. The trainers always tell you to eat more calories on those days.

I'm thinking to start out I will try going once or twice a week and have an extra packet and see how I feel. If it's too much, I'll just walk or do yoga.
SprinklesR4Winners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinklesR4Winners View Post
I am in week 2 and haven't been doing any exercising. However, after the first 3 weeks, I would like to go back to doing boot camp classes which is what I was doing before. I'm a little worried though because the classes can be intense. It's basically 45 minutes of doing things like burpees, kettle bell lifts, jumping jacks, etc. while moving around the room from station to station. The trainers always tell you to eat more calories on those days.

I'm thinking to start out I will try going once or twice a week and have an extra packet and see how I feel. If it's too much, I'll just walk or do yoga.
This made me remember about 21 days in I tried doing T25 with my husband I survived, but lets just say I am sticking to walks / general core strengthening exercises (planks, push ups). I did Insanity 2 summers ago and am looking forward to total body work outs again.

chaos - FYI - I cannot take vitamins on an empty stomach - they make me insanely nauseated ! I always take them after dinner, when I have the most cushioning in my stomach.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #22  
Started IP 11/26/2014

S/C/G: 205 (190 on IP)/174/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinklesR4Winners View Post

IMO boot camp might be a little excessive for IP. I would probably start with lower intensity exercise and possibly work up to that? If you work out too hard you risk your body tapping into your muscle for energy. Though maybe there are other people who have had success while incorporating a boot camp style exercise.

Last edited by kimo88; 03-27-2015 at 03:50 PM.
kimo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #23  

I don't think I would have been able to do Boot Camp during IP myself...like Kira said, everyone is different...
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
That's how I've always viewed it. Then I read the IP papers and they say exercise burns our muscle mass instead of building it. I wish I could just lose with exercise because this diet thing and all it's stipulations confuse me.
Actually, IP coaching videos say heavy exercise (sweating & breathing hard) without enough calories and protein will burn our muscle mass. They do suggest weights & walking for exercise once you are past the first couple of weeks and know how your body reacts to this diet. You technically don't need to exercise to lose fat using this way of eating, but it does build better habits for the future and for many, eases emotional and mental stresses.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 202/168/160

Height: 5'8"

So glad to see this thread. I am in my 10th week and have been exercising the last four weeks. I meet with a trainer 2x a week and try to walk 3 or 4 times a week. I too listen to my body and scale back if I start feeling too depleted. Right now on IP my energy levels are through the roof.
I just printed off a 30 abs challenge off pinterest. Will be starting that tomorrow.
I am 49 and like some have mentioned before exercised and watched what I ate but never was able to lose over a few pounds. IP has been a life changer for me. The results I am seeing along with the health benefits are wonderful. I had bloodwork done this week and my cholesterol is down 20 points. So many positives that I don't even think about the foods I am not allowed right now.
Kimo88, the first week I started weight training I stalled on the scale at my next weigh in. Next week showed a 4 lb loss. I too want to be fit and healthy not so much skinny that ship has sailed.
rebelgrl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:46 AM   #26  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
This is a simplistic, and not totally accurate, picture. It's designed to scare you out of exercising so that you lose optimal weight for the clinic's statistical record.

The reality is that vigorous exercise breaks down muscle fibers. This happens to everyone, including body builders. Ever notice that no professional athletes trains every day at the same intensity level? This isn't accidental, it's a deliberate program designed to allow them recovery workouts and rebuilding.

There are many stages to the body's fueling program, from ensuring that you have sufficiently high blood glucose level (ie your carb loading is done at the front end of exercise) so that you have no need for your body to break down muscle as a fuel, other than general wear and tear (stress) on the muscle fibers. Then you have recovery. In order for the body to synthesise protein it needs an insulin release, which is triggered by carbs. This is why we add in the extra packet AFTER the workout. Another acknowledged fact is that the body continues to burn calories at an increased rate for many hours AFTER exercise is completed, especially strength training rather than cardio. Here is an excellent article about the muscle composition and how it is used by the body during physical exertion.

Protein is the building block for muscle. Not just the whey, soy, vegetable proteins and meats & fish that we are eating as part of the IP diet, but also the amino acids - google Branched Chain Amino Acids for more information. Put simply, if you are just doing your hardcore exercise without understanding what your body needs then you will be doing yourself a disservice on a calorically/carb restricted diet. You may lose weight quickly in the early days, but it will be at the expense of your metabolism as your muscle and lean mass declines.

The standard advice in weight loss is that around 20-25% of loss will be lean, as opposed to fat mass. The reality is that you can reduce that to around 5-10% with smart fueling/refueling while exercising.

As always, the results people get from exercising are hugely variable. The more in tune you are with your body's responses to any external stimuli the faster you will be able to add exercise in and do it without detriment to your weight loss and body composition.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Great thread and it's wonderful to see other people excited about exercise during P1. Like you all dieting is one part of the story but exercising adds another important part to getting healthy and staying healthy.

Briael, great post about muscle fiber and building lean muscle.

I did IP for a year sept 2013 and had exercised regularly before 3 -4 times a week, mix of spinning, yoga, strengthening classes. So during P1 I kept it up from sept -February. In Feb. I changed gyms and started to run on the treadmill, eventually started running outside. Did 10k and trained for a half marathon all on P1.

I always added the extra IP packet after a workout, I would use a restricted snack on gym day and, when I ran over 10km I would have 1/3 cup of oatmeal in the morning. I think the exercise helped with the inches and maybe reduced loose skin. Like others mentioned it may have slowed my losses but this was a lifestyle change not just about weight loss.

I have been on maintence since sept 2014 and am still an avid exerciser. I have a 30km race tomorrow and am likely training for a half iron man in sept. I'm exercising 6 hours a week and this would not have been possible without IP!

Keep up the great work. It does matter what level of activity as long as you start somewhere.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 246.3/236.4/150

Height: 5 ft 5 in

I used to exercise often before IP, as well. It's enlightening to see how many of us say this, when the popular image of an overweight person is sedentary on the couch, eh?

I did go on a long walk this week. I'm only in Week 2. I felt awesome during the walk, and did not feel like I was exerting myself much at all. But, I was a bit dizzy afterward despite hydrating well, etc. I think I'm going to give myself a couple more weeks before trying again, or make my walks a little shorter for now, build up to a longer distance over time. But cutting exercise out of my life completely during the entire time I need to be on P1 is just not an option. I enjoy exercise too much! It helps keep me sane.

My coach is in favor of exercise during P1, which I like about her. She just advises an extra packet or added egg whites.
lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #29  
One Choice At A Time

S/C/G: 290/274/150

Height: 5'8"

Great thread and great info! The detail is so helpful. I'm getting the exercise itch and will refer back to this for sure. Hard to believe i used to do boot camps, lunges holding 25 pound weights in each hand, stair master etc. I'm ready to bring that girl back and IP (and these awesome IP forums with awesome IPers) will help get me there. Many thanks!
morningal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #30  

Height: 5 ft. 3 in.

I love all these awesome response to this little question I asked!
Anyone interested in starting a daily exercise posting area?

These past few days, I went on a hilly walk of 6.8 miles with a friend for her half-marathon training cross training workout on Thursday, did a run/walk on both Friday and Sat. Today will be rest day. Tomorrow the weather is to be much improved and I am going to run-hoping for 2 miles. Legs have been tired with this increased exercise.
boyz4us is offline   Reply With Quote