3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Vegetarian/vegan proetin sources for IP Diet

Old 03-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Question Vegetarian/vegan proetin sources for IP Diet

Hi! I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian on the IP diet, and it's going great. I've just finished phase 1 and am moving into phase 2. The problem is finding vegetarian proteins that are appropriate for my 8 oz protein meals (on phase 1 it was just dinner, but in phase 2 it's now both dinner and lunch).

Up until now, I've been having Trader Joe's high protein extra-firm tofu almost every night for dinner on this diet (seasoned with soy sauce and spices). However, as I mentioned above, in phase 2, I need to provide my own protein for lunch as well, and I need some alternate ideas. Nutritionally, my lunch/dinner should look like this:

Cal: approx. 100
Fat: <5 g
Carbs: <5 g
Protein: > 20g

There are not a lot of vegetarian proteins on the market that meet this nutritional criteria, especially if you want to avoid soy protein isolate.

I should mention that I don't like the taste of eggs (although I do not technically exclude them from my diet in general)- but recommendations such as scrambled eggs, hardboiled eggs, sunny side up eggs- these won't really work for me- I find them too unappetizing. However, I don't mind eating foods with eggs cooked into them.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
shanib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

S/C/G: 190/168/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanib123 View Post
Hi! I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian on the IP diet, and it's going great. I've just finished phase 1 and am moving into phase 2. The problem is finding vegetarian proteins that are appropriate for my 8 oz protein meals (on phase 1 it was just dinner, but in phase 2 it's now both dinner and lunch).

Up until now, I've been having Trader Joe's high protein extra-firm tofu almost every night for dinner on this diet (seasoned with soy sauce and spices). However, as I mentioned above, in phase 2, I need to provide my own protein for lunch as well, and I need some alternate ideas. Nutritionally, my lunch/dinner should look like this:

Fat: <5 g
Carbs: <5 g
Protein: > 20g

There are not a lot of vegetarian proteins on the market that meet this nutritional criteria, especially if you want to avoid soy protein isolate.

I should mention that I don't like the taste of eggs (although I do not technically exclude them from my diet in general)- but recommendations such as scrambled eggs, hardboiled eggs, sunny side up eggs- these won't really work for me- I find them too unappetizing. However, I don't mind eating foods with eggs cooked into them.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
I wish I had an answer for you, I want to be vegetarian really bad but I too dont know of good sources besides tofu and eggs on this diet which would get old! Ive been watching a lot of documentaries about food culture and I am really having trouble with the guilt of eating animals, I would really like to live a non animal product life.

I plan to do this after IP if I cant figure out alternatives that meet IP criteria. In the meantime I am going above and beyond to buy meat that comes from farms that are ethical and treat their animals well, but in the end I know its still really bothers me that they are killed. "Sigh."
Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Start IP 11/24/14

S/C/G: 244/132/130

Height: 5'6"

If you search for a former poster by the name of "longdivision", she has a list of non-meat items and lots of good information. I haven't had meat for a few weeks now and have used veggie burgers and non-breaded veggie chicken. She has a better list - I will look and bump it up if possible!!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

S/C/G: 163/133/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 51 yrs old

If you don't have gluten issues you can use seitan (which is apparently easy to make) - although it is made from wheat it is low in carbs and very high in protein. http://www.livestrong.com/article/29...lue-of-seitan/

You can also try Quorn if you are not in Canada (sorry I didn't notice where you were from). I've never seen it in Canada. http://www.livestrong.com/article/32...alue-of-quorn/

hope this helps a bit... You may need to use low or no fat dairy products like 0% plain Greek yogourt, or dry curd cottage cheese for a protein source if you don't have many choices. Just check the carb counts on the side of the tubs as they are not all created equal.

Liana

At goal or below since March 5, 2014
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

Default Thank you!

Thank you all!

I will look for that thread.

Seitan is a great idea and probably fits my nutritional requirements.

I've looked into Quorn, and the products are too low in protein (and in some cases, too high in carbs) for IP.

Thank you all again!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Start IP 11/24/14

S/C/G: 244/132/130

Height: 5'6"

I just bumped up a Vegetarian thread from Watkat. Also, longdivision (Laura) wrote on that thread:

hi! i'm a vegetarian and i've been on plan for almost 6 months. here is what you can eat:

smart dogs
veggie burgers
non-breaded soy chicken
seitan
tofu
morning star bacon

there are tons of meat alternatives (boca, morning star, quorn, etc.) that you can eat. most are pretty high in protein. just try to keep your servings under 5 net carbs and watch out for sugars in the ingredients. always read the labels and stick to the serving sizes on the box. enjoy!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #7

I am using one or two of the Beyond Meat products (their chickenless chicken strips, in particular, seem to meet this nutritional criteria). The Quorn products are too low in protein. The Setian seems to meet the nutritional criteria, but my consultant said I can't eat it yet because of the ingredients (I'm guessing because it contains wheat). For those that use Gardein, which Gardein products meet the nutritional criteria:

Fat: <5g
Carbs: <5g
Protein: >20g

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #8

Height: 5'4"

The 100 calories part is the deal breaker.
Have you looked at Trader Joe's Beef-less Ground Beef (near the tofu in the store)?
It is close. If you go with two servings it is 120 calories, 18 grams of protein, 2 NET carbs (8 carbs - 6 fiber) and 2g fat. You could cook it with an egg white and maybe use a little less and get closer to the calorie/protein requirment.

Beyond Meat, especially the strips, are the closest. At least they have 3 flavors.
They are really low fat. The Gardein Teriyaki Strips (the sauce packet is separate so you don't have to use it) are higher in calories, higher in fat and lower in protein.

Gardein switched up their product line (about which I have complained to them!). The Scallopini was my standby -- now it is glutenfree (and tastes "different"--at first I would describe it as "nasty"), even lower in protein, same or higher calories and the carbs are different. This was my mainstay!
None of the Gardein products will get you near enough to the protein and will have too many carbs and calories until P4.

Have you considered using egg whites to make up the protein difference? You could use something that has 15g of protein and cook an egg white into it?
Morningstar sausage patties are like 70 or 80 calories and 10g of protein, so you could make it up with egg whites and get close.

There is also tempeh, but the one that I occasionally use has too many calories for what you need now. If you look careful you can find ones that are both higher in protein and lower in carbs (kind of like the tofu).

You can also get TVP at the health food store, which could meet what you are looking for, depending on what is available in your area. I never use it.

Black soy beans used to be OK, too. They are really low in carbs but not enough protein for the calories for what you are looking for.

Seitan is kind of hit or miss in terms of protein/carb ratios. I also found some hemp tofu but it was really high in fat.

Which part of the country/which country are you in? I'm sure some stuff is regional, too.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:28 AM   #9

S/C/G: 190/168/125

Height: 5'0"

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! Really appreciate it! Im looking forward to transitioning into a vegetarian lifestyle!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
Princess Melanie

S/C/G: Start 5/24/2012 198/146/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanRN View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! Really appreciate it! Im looking forward to transitioning into a vegetarian lifestyle!
This is my struggle as well tho I can have egg whites and no egg yolks due to cholesterol issues. I struggle with what I am supposed to look for on the box. Seems like if you are just grabbing turkey its 8oz and you are done but for me I have to know all types of things and I don't know what those are. It gets discouraging.

princessM928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.