Old 03-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246.3/236.4/150

Height: 5 ft 5 in

Default My Creepy Obsession

I started IP a week ago today. For the most part, it's been great. I've lost a few pounds, and I feel healthy and energized throughout the day.

But but but...

For the past 24 hours or so, I've been having what feel like obsessive thoughts about food. It's not hunger, really. It's more like a constant craving for anything that's not on plan. I'll be doing some boring work at my computer or talking with my husband, and suddenly a sugary pastry or a sandwich will pop up in my mind and I can't stop thinking about it no matter how hard I try to distract myself. I feel like some kind of crazy carb stalker!

Today and yesterday, I spent solid chunks of time locked in my bedroom because I was so freaked out by the intensity of these thoughts, and I didn't want to cheat. It worked. I'm still 100% OP. But I can't realistically just stay in my bedroom until I lose the weight.

Uh, anyone else? Does this pass?
lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Lettuce, those first few weeks are the hardest but it gets easier. I remember thinking all I had to do was make it from one meal to the next or get to work without stopping for a snack. Like you I would go upstairs early to avoid the temptations in the kitchen. The cravings will go away just keep distracting yourself. Have a bath, paint your nails, read...
Posting on the daily chat can be a great place to get support and advice. Also 3FC is a great distraction
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 246.3/236.4/150

Height: 5 ft 5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post
Lettuce, those first few weeks are the hardest but it gets easier. I remember thinking all I had to do was make it from one meal to the next or get to work without stopping for a snack. Like you I would go upstairs early to avoid the temptations in the kitchen. The cravings will go away just keep distracting yourself. Have a bath, paint your nails, read...
Posting on the daily chat can be a great place to get support and advice. Also 3FC is a great distraction
Hugely comforting - thank you!
lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:08 AM   #4  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

A few ideas that worked for me ...

1. Eat like a bird. Cut your meals into smaller chunks and eat more often. If you can eat every 2 hours it helps you get through the day.

2. Know your weak times and prepare for them. If evenings/nights are your worst times, leave a bit more food reserved for those times.

3. Drink plenty of water. Sometimes we think we are hungry, when it's actually thirst.

4. Use flavorful coffees and teas as in between meal treats. Decaf coffee esp i find a real appetite suppressant. Caffeine coffee works even better, however it will distrurb your sleep (which means more awake time to think about food). Use Stevia to sweeten -- it makes your body think it's getting sugar when it's not. Put some cinnamon in your tea and coffee -- it's a blood sugar reducer and actually tastes a bit sweet.

My favorite coffee recipe:

Fresh ground Costa Rico Dota coffee (from Whole Foods). This is a light roast that has chocolate flavored undertones. This is caffenated so watch out! 1 tsp of Saigon Cinnamon (a blood sugar reducer and it tastes sweet). 1 package of Stevia (sweetness with no cals). A little bit of Skim milk (I honestly use half and half and I've lost weight fine for 7 months, but I also walk 3.5 miles a day). A little bit of Sugar Free Hazelnut CoffeeMate. This makes your coffee taste like a desert. Sip this slowly for 45 minutes and it feels like decadent treat and appetite suppressant. I drink this 3 times a day along with all my food and I've lost 80 pounds.

5. If you are really "noshy" and want to eat, esp late in the day or in the evening, go to bed early. Sometimes I have done that and wake up later not hungry at all.

6. If you feel like you just have to cheat, rather than having something "bad" like sugar or carbs, have an extra protein serving -- like some chicken breast with some French's Mustard on it or an extra IP Chocolate Drink mix or something. It will satisfy and wont whack out your blood sugar and knock you out of keytosis.

7. Use frozen organic rainbow peppers as your vege serving. I eat 4 cups of this a day. They actually taste a little bit sweet and loaded with vitamin C. You can cut your 4 cups of vegies and 8 oz of lean protein allowance into FOUR (4) separate meals of

1 cup frozen organic rainbow peppers (microwaved)
2 oz diced chicken breast
1 tsp olive oil (or so)

This is amazingly great tasting and you get to eat this 4 times a day along with 3 packs of Ideal Protein. Since I am a chocoholic, I eat almost exclusingly the IP Chocolate Drink mix ... which tastes like a chocolate milk shake to me.

So I just made 7 meals here! Each one tastes a little bit sweet -- but are all 100% IP P1 compliant, which means you can eat every 2 hours and that covers 14 hours. Add in some nice coffee's and tea's for a few extra hours you are awake and you are covered.

8. Try to get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep every night -- studies have shown that to be the optimal sleep time for weight loss.

9. If you ever find yourself going nuts with bad food cravings, go for a long walk outside. It will occupy your mind and body and will get you away from the fridge. Sometimes we eat out of boredom. Often when you get back, you have completely forgotten about food. Take your iPhone with you and listen to a PODCAST on your walk to occupy your mind.

10. Remember the first week of no cheating on carbs and sugar is the worst time ... while you are breaking your sugar and carb addictions. For me it's actually the first 2-4 days -- However I have heard a lot of people mention this for the first week. Once you get past the 1st week without cheating, it should get easier with fewer and fewer carb sugar cravings

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 03-21-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:00 AM   #5  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
For the past 24 hours or so, I've been having what feel like obsessive thoughts about food.
Woohoo a week on plan, WTG!

When I was doing "real" IP I got some massive carb cravings. Some are to be expected since carbs were likely filling an emotional need in some way, but after you're solidly in ketosis, you should be having less cravings.

I had a heck of a struggle at the start and I discovered that it was largely due to the restricted foods. Especially the wafer cookies (mmm). Whenever I felt like cravings were starting to take over, I dropped the restricteds for a few days, and that helped me get things in check.

Half the battle is recognizing these things and making a plan to deal with them. Good luck and you're doing great!
LuckyDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #6  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

I kind of obsess about food, too. But not for the things I no longer wish to eat but just how good that next meal is going to taste! I use to love watching food shows, any of them! I love to be inspired to try new recipes but I can't let myself watch those any more because nothing is really IP compliant on there! I wish there was just one program totally devoted to IP recipes and cooking tips. Anyone here feeling up to the challenge of developing one? So, until then, I peruse any and all forums, FB pages, and Pinterest pages to be inspired. Sometimes I have to tweak a recipe to make it "fit" IP Protocol but, I enjoy trying new things! Hubbie is a great guinea pig in that he is game to try most anything I prepare. And my attitude is even if it turns out not so good, I'm still going to eat because I hate to waste food! Especially when it contains an IP packet!

So...obsessing about food isn't really a bad thing nor an abnormal thing. You just have to be very careful in that you don't succumb to it in adverse ways!

Oh, and eat lots of cucumbers and lettuce!! That very often saves my day!
frawniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #7  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Frawniemae -- I would have guessed you might be TV food show addict -- you have shared some terrific IP compliant recipes... I think you and Rainbowsmiles are the most likely to do an IP Compliant Food Show!!!

I haven't seen Rainbow on 3FC lately... hope she is ok.

Meanwhile - how's your hubby doing on IP? I hope he is losing like you are - you are doing so well!!!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote