Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #46  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyc14 View Post
Ok ya'll, i've been struggling lately. Have a lot going on, stressed to the max. Kinda, sorta, fell off the wagon...didn't weigh in last week..because I didn't want to get fussed at by my coach. Well I went today, she asked how i've been doing and told me to step on the scale. I am the same weight that I was when I weighed two weeks ago. I was thrilled with that, glad that I was able to maintain. She started to fuss at me and I shut her down really quick. I told her what I was feeling and what I needed from her. I think she understood... The good news is, I did lose inches. I hope that I am back in the right mind set. I believe that I am. I am ready to get the rest of this weight off.

I know that my coach gets frustrated because she knows that the program works and that I could be so much further along if I stayed on course. But it's not so simple. It's not black and white. And for me, maintaining is huge accomplishment!!

I'm so thankful for 3fc, for y'all!
Good for you for shutting her down! Hopefully she will take the cue and try to be more encouraging and positive instead of being a browbeater! We usually know when and where we messed up and really don't need someone else pointing and wagging fingers at us (okay; maybe some of the time we might if we can't shake it off) but for a week to week, regular type of conversation, a little positivity will go much further in the right direction. She may be frustrated but she should know that you are, too! Hang in there! You'll beat this thing yet!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Ok ya'll, i've been struggling lately. Have a lot going on, stressed to the max. Kinda, sorta, fell off the wagon...didn't weigh in last week..because I didn't want to get fussed at by my coach. Well I went today, she asked how i've been doing and told me to step on the scale. I am the same weight that I was when I weighed two weeks ago. I was thrilled with that, glad that I was able to maintain. She started to fuss at me and I shut her down really quick. I told her what I was feeling and what I needed from her. I think she understood... The good news is, I did lose inches. I hope that I am back in the right mind set. I believe that I am. I am ready to get the rest of this weight off.

I know that my coach gets frustrated because she knows that the program works and that I could be so much further along if I stayed on course. But it's not so simple. It's not black and white. And for me, maintaining is huge accomplishment!!

Yay Kelly!! Way to hold steady after your rough week last week!! Nice job on the inches lost too. Glad you had a good chat with your coach - now get back to work!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #48  

Kellyc14
Good for you for sticking up for yourself!
If we could be "beat down" into submission to lose weight, we all would have done that a LONG LONG time ago.

Negativity doesn't work.
As a matter of fact, you probably would have been MORE willing to go to last week's weigh-in if you had expected support in the form of problem-solving and ideas instead of a beat-down.

And, since you lost inches, you're still LOSING! Fat loss doesn't show up on the scale as quickly as water weight does but the measuring tape surely doesn't lie

Moving forward...contingent plans for struggles really help.
As in: "here's what I'll do when I'm having an easy day and here is my plan for days that feel hard"

Sometimes allowing for an extra packet may be all that is necessary to get us over a hump. When I have done this, I don't have my restricted and the 4th packet is on of the 80-calorie packs like pink lemonade or raspberry jello. Or, some cauliflower pancakes might work as a snack to get you over a hump.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #49  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larn37 View Post
I needed to see this. I fell prey to boredom and that TOM (that was 7days late for the first time ever)due to starting this diet Jan 16, and needed something to eat and cheated a little and then still lost and found myself cheating again and now I feel horrible. Anyone else feel way or do this. I lost 18 pounds and I am re-committed, it is just hard, we are going to be leaving for the lake for spring break and friends cooking and having a few social drinks- but I have to maintain my focus. I feel I have took some many steps backwards and I am so MAD MAD at myself and feel so depressed that I allowed myself to be weak... I only lost a pound last week and this week. I need to stay focused bigtime. I also was becoming bored with the foods and eating same things over and over and was like WHY can't I just eat something that I use to enjoy? Thanks for all the encouraging words.
This is life and the way ahead for most of us - we will always be facing challenges with food and always learning how to cope with the desire to have "just a bit" or "something that I deserve or really enjoy". You may have *only* lost a lb each of those weeks, but that is 2 whole pounds that is gone. Yes, it could've been more but .... you could also have binged and gained. You're still going down on the scales and that is a victory. Try not to be so hard on yourself, this isn't a race and this journey is so much more important than the number on a scale. What we are learning is how to live with our eating disorders and stressful lives, and that takes time and sometimes many lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary2612 View Post
I am so excited with my NSV. When I started this time, my blood sugar was so out of control. My fasting was over 350. After 17 days on the IP plan, my fasting was 191. YES! I am walking better and so excited.
That is fabulous news, Rosemary.

Quote:

Glad that you saw some inch losses to keep you focused. Relieved that you were able to cut through the coach crap to what you need from her. I had wondered where you got to as I hadn't seen any posts from you, happy to hear that you're ok and ready to get back to the IP grindstone!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:

Don't get me wrong - I get the "tough love" approach & for some people that works really well, but your coach gives me the heebie-jeebies (sorry) & I know I couldn't deal with that kind of stress and pressure on top of 'x-y-z'. Hope they "got it" and are more helpful to YOU.

Frawnie - so scary about the odor & glad you are feeling better.

Quote:
Noticed my face is looking a little thinner today, so I'm in a GREAT mood!
Awesome NSV Shark

Positive = I woke up feeling good enough to come into work...although I am 100% ready to go home now - used up all my energy pretty quickly. I HAVE to have this thing beat by Friday. Treating myself (with some girlfriends) at the nail salon & having some cool St. Patty's day nails put on

So - question...beyond Friday, Saturday hubby and I are at an all-day concert / St. Patty's festival in DC (12:30 - ???? whenever we're done with the bands). Going to see our favorite, Carbon Leaf, along with some other Irish-folk-rock bands (think Dropkick Murphy's) - anyway, that is going to be a REALLY long day...I believe I can bring a back pack, and if that's the case, have enough stash pockets to get in a bag of veggies / Quest chips / Quest bar - and I could always flip-flop my big meal to lunch & have some veggies / Quest chips for "dinner" and a bar to hold me over...actually, I think I just talked myself through what I need to do lol
I guess the caveat is if the new company running Shamrock Fest has stricter rules - ie, no back packs. Stuff my pockets with Quest Bars? Take my chances with "Chicken-on-a-stick"? I know there is always some corn beef and cabbage being sold out of a vendor truck...just worried about the additives. Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Kellyc14
Good for you for sticking up for yourself!
If we could be "beat down" into submission to lose weight, we all would have done that a LONG LONG time ago.

Negativity doesn't work.
As a matter of fact, you probably would have been MORE willing to go to last week's weigh-in if you had expected support in the form of problem-solving and ideas instead of a beat-down.

And, since you lost inches, you're still LOSING! Fat loss doesn't show up on the scale as quickly as water weight does but the measuring tape surely doesn't lie

Moving forward...contingent plans for struggles really help.
As in: "here's what I'll do when I'm having an easy day and here is my plan for days that feel hard"

Sometimes allowing for an extra packet may be all that is necessary to get us over a hump. When I have done this, I don't have my restricted and the 4th packet is on of the 80-calorie packs like pink lemonade or raspberry jello. Or, some cauliflower pancakes might work as a snack to get you over a hump.
Thank you Lisa. It's not really "food" that has been derailing me. It's alcohol. It's my way of coping with stress. I need to find a new outlet!! walking maybe? There will always be stress, unavoidable. I managed to cope without drinking for the first 7 months. I know that I can do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTx View Post
Yay Kelly!! Way to hold steady after your rough week last week!! Nice job on the inches lost too. Glad you had a good chat with your coach - now get back to work!
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawniemae View Post
Good for you for shutting her down! Hopefully she will take the cue and try to be more encouraging and positive instead of being a browbeater! We usually know when and where we messed up and really don't need someone else pointing and wagging fingers at us (okay; maybe some of the time we might if we can't shake it off) but for a week to week, regular type of conversation, a little positivity will go much further in the right direction. She may be frustrated but she should know that you are, too! Hang in there! You'll beat this thing yet!
Exactly Frawniemae. I know I messed up, I don't need anyone to tell me. Encouragement is the biggest motivating factor!!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #52  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Well it is official. It's time to break out the Metamucil (Calm didn't work on me last time so I don't feel like shelling out another $14 for it to not work this time). My WI yesterday was a win/lose I guess. Added .6 lbs (but I think I know where it is all hiding - see first sentence), gained muscle mass, lost fat mass, lost a 1/4" here and there, hydration up and BMI ever so slowly edging down. All I can do is keep on keepin' on!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
So - question...beyond Friday, Saturday hubby and I are at an all-day concert / St. Patty's festival in DC (12:30 - ???? whenever we're done with the bands). Going to see our favorite, Carbon Leaf, along with some other Irish-folk-rock bands (think Dropkick Murphy's) - anyway, that is going to be a REALLY long day...I believe I can bring a back pack, and if that's the case, have enough stash pockets to get in a bag of veggies / Quest chips / Quest bar - and I could always flip-flop my big meal to lunch & have some veggies / Quest chips for "dinner" and a bar to hold me over...actually, I think I just talked myself through what I need to do lol
I guess the caveat is if the new company running Shamrock Fest has stricter rules - ie, no back packs. Stuff my pockets with Quest Bars? Take my chances with "Chicken-on-a-stick"? I know there is always some corn beef and cabbage being sold out of a vendor truck...just worried about the additives. Thoughts?
You hit on exactly why I'm too afraid to do that event. I really enjoy festival food and beer--and it's not so much that I think I'd cave (unless they really did take away my emergency snacks -- it looks, from the FAQ, like anything that won't fit in a pocket is fair game), but I just think that might distract me from all of the fun. I also really hate port-a-potties, doubly so at heavy drinking events, so I know I wouldn't hydrate sufficiently.

Big meal for lunch is a brilliant idea! Sneaking bars in via pockets, similarly brilliant! (And it just might work! The lows are low enough that you'll want a jacket.)

You know, I just checked Alton Brown's corned beef recipe, and while it has some carbs, it's not as illegal as I would have expected. 1/2 cup brown sugar and a cooked onion for 4-5 pounds of beef. (He's my go-to for "how much sugar/fat will this thing have, worst case?" ) In a pinch, I would probably risk it. It just depends on your comfort level.

Last edited by the_magpie; 03-17-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #54  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

When I have to attend something and I need to bring food in like the movies or festival or something, I just show it to them and tell them that I need it for medical reasons vs trying to stow it away. It has always worked.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #55  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_magpie View Post
You hit on exactly why I'm too afraid to do that event. I really enjoy festival food and beer--and it's not so much that I think I'd cave (unless they really did take away my emergency snacks -- it looks, from the FAQ, like anything that won't fit in a pocket is fair game), but I just think that might distract me from all of the fun. I also really hate port-a-potties, doubly so at heavy drinking events, so I know I wouldn't hydrate sufficiently.

Big meal for lunch is a brilliant idea! Sneaking bars in via pockets, similarly brilliant! (And it just might work! The lows are low enough that you'll want a jacket.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
When I have to attend something and I need to bring food in like the movies or festival or something, I just show it to them and tell them that I need it for medical reasons vs trying to stow it away. It has always worked.
I think it's worth trying the honesty angle, but with some bars tucked in pockets as an emergency backup.

The other thing .. presumably you will be doing a lot of walking while you're there, so you will also be burning more calories. It's not an excuse to eat more without justification, but if you are forced into less than optimal choices for your main meal, you should be close to OK on calorie count (if not carb load). Just make sure to get more water in while you are physically active or the thirst of dehydration will confuse you into thinking you are hungry.

Hope you have a fabulous time!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 220/201/155

Height: 5'10''

My office has a big spread for St. Patrick's day. It seems like there's been so much food around since I've started IP! Maybe I just notice more, haha. Brought an IP yogurt drink and having grilled pork chops tonight though!!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #57  

magpie:
Corned beef is made with brisket, which isn't a cut of beef on the P1 sheet, due to higher fat content.

Here is a P1 friendly recipe for "corned beef"
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/5143180-post153.html
Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #58  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Don't know if this will actually work, but it made me chuckle and I figured it might be a smile-worthy picture for the day - very appropriate for those of us on a diet:-

https://www.facebook.com/Majic955Aus...type=1&theater
Old 03-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #59  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:

Kellyc14!!! Been missing you!!! So glad you have not gone so far off the grid that it was too hard to come back!!!

You have travelled 2/3 of the way to your goal -- great results!!! I do hope you will hang in with us to finish your journey -- You CAN do this!!!!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 207/165/165

Height: 5.5

I went to the strawberry festival in Florida a few weeks ago. I had no idea what to expect. I took 4 quest bars. When we walked in all I saw was pizza, French fries, pastries and many other delectables not to mention home made strawberry shortcake. I ate a quest bar and 500 ml of water every two to three hours. Worked great. No cravings no hunger and manged to get through the day without going nuts.
I must say I was glad I didn't have to stand and shove a pizza or French fries into my mouth. It just was not worth it. Good luck
Closed Thread