Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #1  

Arrow IP Community Weekend Chat Fri 3/6 - Sun 3/8/2015

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

Recipes Here
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 -current thread open for posting
Recipe thread #3
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
Fun with Veggie Purees!
Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2

For those looking for alternative products
Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
Link to a pdf of the doctor's book here.
Note: this is not the same as the current IP plan.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #2  

The weekend starts on Friday, right?

Yesterday we had a discussion of exercise on IP.

I think a major IP flaw is that some clinics actually discourage exercise.

Initially, P1 is NOT the time to start something new but anyone already exercising should continue or they'll atrophy and have to re-gain lost strength. After acclimating to Ketosis, gentle exercise should be encouraged (walks, yoga, bike rides) for EVERYONE. Sitting is BAD for us.

IP was originally designed for athletes on their off-season who had gained weight. Elite athletes remain active ALL year. They may change what they're doing on their off-season, but they don't sit around and allow much atrophy.

Most of my exercise has been PT exercises, along with yoga.
I've had a couple of incidents that make me realize this is not enough. I need to do something for stamina. I went for a very easy hike in Hawaii that almost "killed" me. And...on a warm day a month-or-so ago we went for a bike ride with some friends and I found it overly hard.
I've started doing some training on a spinning bike. I'm up to 20 minutes and I've learned that if I do lots of targeted stretching afterward, I don't have much pain. Today I'm going to go for a walk after work to see how long I can walk before my hip pain flares up. Even 10-15 minutes is better than nothing.

I have many fibromyalgia symptoms. I have to be pretty careful to find a balance of exercise that makes me feel better without causing inflammation, which actually makes me feel WORSE. If I overdo it (even a little), I'm exhausted and freezing under a blanket on the couch or in bed.

There are many reasons for this but ketosis is NOT one of them. I have several other underlying medical issues that I'm slowly addressing.

This has gotten long in an effort to say that moving our bodies is important. We don't need to do extreme workouts (probably shouldn't without understanding more about ketosis science) but we need to do something.

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-06-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #3  
Started IP Jan 5/15

S/C/G: 210/206/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm with you Lisa took the day off from work to get some homework done so I'm thinking the weekend has arrived

Last edited by Arobed; 03-06-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #4  

Default Beck Diet Solution Daily Tips

Friday Weekend Warm-Up

If you had a long week, you do deserve to relax on the weekends, but you ALSO deserve to achieve all the advantages of losing weight, so you can’t use (extra) food as a means to relax. This weekend, work on incorporating other types of self-care into your life. The more ways you have to recharge your batteries, the less you’ll turn to food to do so.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #5  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

Initially, P1 is NOT the time to start something new but anyone already exercising should continue or they'll atrophy and have to re-gain lost strength. After acclimating to Ketosis, gentle exercise should be encouraged (walks, yoga, bike rides) for EVERYONE. Sitting is BAD for us.

IP was originally designed for athletes on their off-season who had gained weight. Elite athletes remain active ALL year. They may change what they're doing on their off-season, but they don't sit around and allow much atrophy.

I've had a couple of incidents that make me realize this is not enough. I need to do something for stamina. I went for a very easy hike in Hawaii that almost "killed" me. And...on a warm day a month-or-so ago we went for a bike ride with some friends and I found it overly hard.
I've started doing some training on a spinning bike. I'm up to 20 minutes and I've learned that if I do lots of targeted stretching afterward, I don't have much pain. Today I'm going to go for a walk after work to see how long I can walk before my hip pain flares up. Even 10-15 minutes is better than nothing.

I have many fibromyalgia symptoms. I have to be pretty careful to find a balance of exercise that makes me feel better without causing inflammation, which actually makes me feel WORSE. If I overdo it (even a little), I'm exhausted and freezing under a blanket on the couch or in bed.

There are many reasons for this but ketosis is NOT one of them. I have several other underlying medical issues that I'm slowly addressing.

This has gotten long in an effort to say that moving our bodies is important. We don't need to do extreme workouts (probably shouldn't without understanding more about ketosis science) but we need to do something.
Thanks for sharing this, Lisa. I wish I had this when I started IP in August as I would have continued my workouts. I don't know if I can do it now with my physical symptoms, but you have and others here have inspired me to get back at it regardless of what my coach says. Perhaps, this will also alleviate the headaches, weakness, fatigue, etc I am having. Per your other post from Beck, I will go this weekend - I already had planned to go tomorrow for metabolic testing (resting and active) - afterwards, I will get in a weight training session and evaluate how I feel during, immediately after and on Monday. Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #6  
Started IP 11/26/2014

S/C/G: 205 (190 on IP)/174/150

Height: 5'5"

My coaches were very discouraging of exercise. To the point where they actually said at one point if you want to continue exercise to maybe consider phasing off IP. They didn't say this to me in person (thankfully), but as a general note to all of their clients on their page. From all of the info I have from this site and previous experience in ketogenic diets I knew that was craziness. So for a while I didn't exercise (I was in a car accident not long before starting IP so that's really why I wasn't exercising hard anyway - I had injuries for my body to heal from before I could jump back into my weight training and yoga regime!) but when I felt ready I added back in the weight training, I lied a bit to my coach and said I do go, but I don't go hard on my workouts and it was mostly to get the habit back again. Truthfully I go fairly hard at the gym...not as hard as I used to but I still lift 2-3 sets @ 15 reps each whereas I used to do 3 sets @ 6-8 reps each. I add an extra packet on weight training days. Between weight training days I still do light exercise by walking the dogs and what not. I've saved hot yoga for when I've finished IP because I'd be worred about dizziness. Though, I'm going to try a warm vinyasa class this Sunday and I'm very excited to see how it goes! My weight loss has slowed down a bit since adding weight lifting back in, but my body fat % is still going down at a rate that I'm happy with...and I'm toning which is what matters to me. I'd rather be a strong 150 lbs than a flabby and weak 140.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #7  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo88 View Post
My coaches were very discouraging of exercise. To the point where they actually said at one point if you want to continue exercise to maybe consider phasing off IP. They didn't say this to me in person (thankfully), but as a general note to all of their clients on their page. From all of the info I have from this site and previous experience in ketogenic diets I knew that was craziness. So for a while I didn't exercise (I was in a car accident not long before starting IP so that's really why I wasn't exercising hard anyway - I had injuries for my body to heal from before I could jump back into my weight training and yoga regime!) but when I felt ready I added back in the weight training, I lied a bit to my coach and said I do go, but I don't go hard on my workouts and it was mostly to get the habit back again. Truthfully I go fairly hard at the gym...not as hard as I used to but I still lift 2-3 sets @ 15 reps each whereas I used to do 3 sets @ 6-8 reps each. I add an extra packet on weight training days. Between weight training days I still do light exercise by walking the dogs and what not. I've saved hot yoga for when I've finished IP because I'd be worred about dizziness. Though, I'm going to try a warm vinyasa class this Sunday and I'm very excited to see how it goes! My weight loss has slowed down a bit since adding weight lifting back in, but my body fat % is still going down at a rate that I'm happy with...and I'm toning which is what matters to me. I'd rather be a strong 150 lbs than a flabby and weak 140.
I totally agree about strong higher weight than flabby lower one.
Your post emboldens me even more to ignore my coach in regards to exercise and possibly even fire him lol
Old 03-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #8  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:

Spot on, as always, Lisa. It's SO important to build a healthy body for our future needs. Being slim is great, but being able to do things with that slim body is a million times better.

The crucial part of exercising while on IP is to listen to what your body is telling you. Do you feel tired or exhausted? Do you have any dizziness or nausea? Feeling tired and a little achey is not a bad thing, but feeling exhausted to the stage where you want to lie down and snooze IS. Dizziness is low blood sugar (where you risk burning muscle via gluconeogenesis, to get glucose back into the body quickly) which means you need another packet before you exercise, and possibly afterwards too. Nausea is normally an electrolyte issue, so make sure to take in some salt with your carb/protein refuel. Understanding how to fuel in the way that your body requires for the exercise you choose is THE most important element of exercising in a healthy way.

I am SO glad you chose this subject to focus on, Lisa.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo88 View Post
I'd rather be a strong 150 lbs than a flabby and weak 140.
Besides, you'll probably be a smaller strong 150 than the flabby 140.

I really must do anything I can to diminish all the dimpling (cellulite) especially on my thighs. PT and Massage Therapists have both said foam rolling can help some. It helps break up the adhesions. It is a painful process but one I'm willing to endure if I can reduce the visability of this, even a bit!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #10  
Started IP 11/26/2014

S/C/G: 205 (190 on IP)/174/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I really must do anything I can to diminish all the dimpling (cellulite) especially on my thighs. PT and Massage Therapists have both said foam rolling can help some. It helps break up the adhesions. It is a painful process but one I'm willing to endure if I can reduce the visability of this, even a bit!
I hadn't heard that about a foam roller! Just another reason why I should REALLY go out and get one. I have a lot of cellulite on my legs (when I say a lot I mean a LOT!). If you hear anything else please let me know! And if I do I'll let you know. I just got a dry brush and I've heard that helps so I'm about to start using that, I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #11  

I'm not sure where to put this post so I apologize if I should have posted somewhere else....
I am really struggling to get back on track. I started Sept 2014, phased off in December due to an all inclusive holiday. Started back in January and lost the 10lbs I had gained. Had unexpected family issues, illness and holiday in February and have fallen off the wagon again. I have not weighed but can feel the weight gain. I have not been able to get back to my clinic for weeks now. I am hoping next Wednesday I will be able to get there. I have enough food but no will power. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you get yourself back on track when you fall off? Every morning I say today is the day...but as soon as I meet temptation, I give in. I have 30lbs to lose and really want to get this done! Thanks to anyone who read this. I actually feel more motivated by writing this down ��
Old 03-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #12  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

Hi Sara! I just restarted IP, and it took me two years to find the motivation. A couple weeks ago, I just looked in the mirror and finally hit my last straw. Don't get to that point- be stronger than I was, and start again now, before you regret it later... You can do it!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1603 View Post
I'm not sure where to put this post so I apologize if I should have posted somewhere else....
I am really struggling to get back on track. I started Sept 2014, phased off in December due to an all inclusive holiday. Started back in January and lost the 10lbs I had gained. Had unexpected family issues, illness and holiday in February and have fallen off the wagon again. I have not weighed but can feel the weight gain. I have not been able to get back to my clinic for weeks now. I am hoping next Wednesday I will be able to get there. I have enough food but no will power. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you get yourself back on track when you fall off? Every morning I say today is the day...but as soon as I meet temptation, I give in. I have 30lbs to lose and really want to get this done! Thanks to anyone who read this. I actually feel more motivated by writing this down ��
Hi Sara, I'm so glad you came here to post!!
I'm sorry you've been struggling

I think you have to find that point to start and make the effort to go forward. Don't worry about that cheat from yesterday, or what you ate for breakfast. Start right now, with your next meal today, and go forward. Take it one meal, one hour at a time if you have to. Distract yourself if you're tempted - drink some extra water (flavor it with Mio, or make infused water, do something different and interesting with it); make use of those "free" veggies; try a packet recipe and mix things up; drink hot tea; go walk around your house or office; come read the forums here - that's saved me from cheating more than once!

Most importantly, know that you're not alone. I hope you can get back to your clinic next week - be honest with your coach about your struggles and desire to get back on the road. Talk to a loved one or friend about your frustrations. Also, all of us on this board are on some point along our weight loss journey, and we can support each other.

Last edited by JJTx; 03-06-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #14  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Oh Sara - thanks for coming back here - use this forum to become encouraged by the success of others and to build up some confidence - You CAN do this!

If you follow JJTx's guidance, just think, one week from today you will be down several pounds and you will feel so much better about yourself. Just one step at a time will get you there!

The hours and days will pass by whether you take action now or not -- take the first step - it is always the hardest, but you wil get back in the rhythm very quickly! Just Do It!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #15  

Quote:
I am really struggling to get back on track. I started Sept 2014, phased off in December due to an all inclusive holiday. Started back in January and lost the 10lbs I had gained. Had unexpected family issues, illness and holiday in February and have fallen off the wagon again. I have not weighed but can feel the weight gain. I have not been able to get back to my clinic for weeks now. I am hoping next Wednesday I will be able to get there. I have enough food but no will power. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you get yourself back on track when you fall off? Every morning I say today is the day...but as soon as I meet temptation, I give in. I have 30lbs to lose and really want to get this done! Thanks to anyone who read this. I actually feel more motivated by writing this down
Hi Sarah
You posted in the perfect place.

It is very hard to get back on track when you've gone off track. That's true for any diet. The first step is admitting something is wrong and you've just done that.

I gradually regained some weight after phasing off a couple years ago and had to reboot. Even the reboot was a struggle. I finally teamed up with another rebooter and we're being each other's "coaches". It's really helping. (You know who you are, and thank you). I actually tried to other times to get a coach here but both of those fell through so I'm glad I kept trying.

Sticking to the plan really is much more of a mental battle than it is a physical one. We know what to eat but making ourselves do it without making excuses is another story altogether. I'd like to suggest the book "The Beck Diet Solution". The entire book is about the cognitive process of making such a huge change in our life. It walks you through a whole bunch of steps on a six week plan.

Many of us understand. We've struggled much of our lives. I've said many times that phase 1 and the weight-loss it produces doesn't eliminate my problem but it puts me in remission from obesity. It is my job to do what I need to do every day to stay in remission otherwise I will relapse. There is a whole rebooters thread of people who are struggling or who have regained. It's there because you are not alone.

You took the first step you can do this!

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-06-2015 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Too many typos
Closed Thread