Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 211/179/170

Height: 5'10

Up 0.8lbs today but down 6.5 inches.
This is a huge victory for me. My inches are usually so slow to come off.
I had a 8.4 loss last week becauae I was sick so I am pleased with my WI.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbkuz View Post
WTG jst!!!!!

HUGE NSV today! We got about 8" of snow in the NoVa area today and as I was getting ready to take DD10 sledding, put on my snow suit and was ABLE TO ZIP IT UP!!!!!!!!! I was wearing the exact same sweatshirt / pants / long johns. Couldn't even think about it the last storm only 2.5 weeks ago
Old 03-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #108  
Start IP 11/24/14

S/C/G: 244/132/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
WTG jst!!!!!

HUGE NSV today! We got about 8" of snow in the NoVa area today and as I was getting ready to take DD10 sledding, put on my snow suit and was ABLE TO ZIP IT UP!!!!!!!!! I was wearing the exact same sweatshirt / pants / long johns. Couldn't even think about it the last storm only 2.5 weeks ago
That's fantastic!!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbkuz View Post
That's a great loss in inches! I'd be pleased to, WTG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
WTG jst!!!!!

Wow, that's awesome i just picked out a new snowmobile suit (BDay gift from my parents) because i was swimming in my old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kialya View Post
wow I have been having a hard time... my afternoons are the worse. I can't get out of the frame of mind to stop eating that off plan food. It is hard being in a house where not everyone is eating the same thing. Or when non op foods are around and easily accessible. I haven't been able to get on here recently because my laptop crashed about 3 weeks ago. I have to get myself back on track unfortunately I already started the day off track. Lunch and dinner will be on plan but man the afternoon....
Sorry you are struggling, there has been some good advice given, and hopefully it will help you. Everyone is rooting for you.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #110  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Default More Fat or More Muscle/Strength?

Question for everyone...

Would you rather have more fat and more muscle/strength or less fat but less muscle/strength?

Here's what is causing me to ask this question...we are told we can't work out on this program - that it will hinder our weight loss. And, yet, we know that endorphins are released when you workout and you increase your body's surface by which to burn fat when you add muscle. So, if we are working out, we slow our weight loss or have a good chance of doing so I think that means more fat but more strength vs not working out so not gaining more muscle/strength but losing fat.

What do you think?

I am 10-15 pounds away and feel like crap - we'll see what the doc says but I am thinking that I get a boost from working out so why not prioritize that over fat loss - I am thinking so what if I keep the extra 10-15 pounds - I would rather be stronger.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Question for everyone...

Would you rather have more fat and more muscle/strength or less fat but less muscle/strength?

Here's what is causing me to ask this question...we are told we can't work out on this program - that it will hinder our weight loss. And, yet, we know that endorphins are released when you workout and you increase your body's surface by which to burn fat when you add muscle. So, if we are working out, we slow our weight loss or have a good chance of doing so I think that means more fat but more strength vs not working out so not gaining more muscle/strength but losing fat.

What do you think?

I am 10-15 pounds away and feel like crap - we'll see what the doc says but I am thinking that I get a boost from working out so why not prioritize that over fat loss - I am thinking so what if I keep the extra 10-15 pounds - I would rather be stronger.
More muscle/strength. It's healthier, tighter, more compact and naturally burns more calories at rest.

See what the doctor says but adding in light exercise (along with an extra packet) will serve you well in maintenance too!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Hi IdealProteinNewbie! Haven't seen you in a while. How are you doing with our endless winter?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #113  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

Quote:
Question for everyone...

What do you think?

This in my opinion should be done from the get go. The problem is it an easy sell to say exercise isn't needed and may actually be negative when it really is a far more complex answer. It is also very hard to suggest someone add a new input to their life and it actually stick. You always eat so changing food doesn't really add an input you just change the value of an already happening event. It is the lowest common denominator.

Your pre-diet work capacity determines a large part of this. And also using exercises that are low on glycolitc demand will do alot to negate the WARNING BANNERS against exercises.
If you did some low intensity cardio warmup for under 20 minutes then go some total strength effort large muscle groups multiple planes and recruitment. Getting no where near your max heart rate. You won't get a high glycolitic load and wouldn't receive a high protein breakdown causing the need for other protein supplementation. You should be done in under 60 minutes total entry to exit and not necessarily be huffing and puffing but still have a warm fuzzy you did something. Here is a podcast with Andy Galpin Professor @ CSU-Fullerton, PhD in Human Bioenergetics, Muscle Physiologist, Weightlifting Coach, Researcher. It is very informative on how the effect dose of exrecise is misreprestive on the conventional wisdom.
http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/3-t...-about-muscle/
Several people in the fitness high end are saying as low as .5-.75 grams per # of LBM on the bottom end of the spectrum. Those are calculations for non hypertrophic (muscle building) individuals. In honesty additional IP supplementation by that calculations shouldn't be needed unless we go with dogma as the argument. Really if you eat too much protein even working out you will stop fatty acid production happening during Low carb/ ketosis. Exercising in a low carb state need to be a gentle enough rate the body can maintain the fatty acid mobilization and not tax glucose to extreme. Or protein will get broken down at a much higher rate and would then need to be supplemented and a subsequent shutting down of fatty acid production. This is a negative all the way around. Including a lower lean body mass thus harder to burn fat in a rested state.

Mark Bell of supertraining, who is a low carb/ keto powerlifter actually doesn't eat that much food typically and he is a very large animal and is pretty lean. Deadlifting over 600#
Everybody is highly personalized and getting a coach or trainer who understands these equations will be next to impossible. With some simple ideas and priciples exercise would be helpful but as a larger issue it could be a net negative applied improperly.

My 1st time on IP my exercise regimen was this.
When on nights shifts or on days off. I would go to the local gym.
Do 15 min warmup on rower, or maybe row 1k meters.
Then I would do several different circuits with kettlebells. goblet squats, swings, snatches, turkish get ups. sometimes for reps or for time periods.

Then maybe do some very heavy farmer walks with biggest dumbells in gym. I would wall the width of the gym a few times. Or Possibly a heavy deadlift or stiff legged deadlifts. 3-5 sets of 80%+ of 5rm work to a 3rm

-----this part I would eliminate without prior capacity and not a good example of typical --------
Then in the PM. I did kickboxing and grappling with a team of local fighters (who competed regionally) for two + hours 3-4 nights a week. My primary workout partner was a jr college wrestler under 170#.

I was doing all of this before I ever started IP and just kept doing it.

Strong people are harder to kill and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Last edited by wylothar; 03-05-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Quote:
I'm going to wait until I'm at least half way to my goal, or I hit that first really big plateau, and then I'm going to start lifting weights. Because I want to be strong and fit and healthy, more than I really want to be thin. It just happens that I need to lose some weight before my body will let me do the exercising I really want to do.

I've already started walking, though we're talking doing one mile of a Leslie Sansone video, or a couple of miles of strolling outside (if the weather ever gets nice) ... not, you know, hiking the Appalachian Trail or anything. And since I walked before I went on IP, it seems silly to stop.

I probably won't do heavy duty cardio until I'm in at least Phase 3. That seems to really mess with the protocol, you know? But I don't see why lifting and having one of the jelly packets every other day would be a problem, as long as I'm comfortable with the fact that my muscles will grow and retain water, and that may mean smaller losses on the scale.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Hi IdealProteinNewbie! Haven't seen you in a while. How are you doing with our endless winter?
Hi! I am beyond ready for it to end
Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #116  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Question for everyone...

More muscle/strength. Lots of reasons:-

1. Your entire body's support is determined by your muscle structure. It is what will help with posture and make your physical life much easier.
2. Increasing your muscle (lean) mass will increase your metabolic rate, which leads to more yummy calories in maintenance.
3. Endorphins are awesome. The better you feel the more you want to do in your life.
4. A toned body looks better than one with a ton of loose skin and no underlying muscle.
5. Muscle burns more calories than fat. Short term weight gain leads to better fat loss in the long term.
6. Muscle is smaller in mass than fat. Who doesn't want to be lean?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #117  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
This in my opinion should be done from the get go. The problem is it an easy sell to say exercise isn't needed and may actually be negative when it really is a far more complex answer. It is also very hard to suggest someone add a new input to their life and it actually stick. You always eat so changing food doesn't really add an input you just change the value of an already happening event. It is the lowest common denominator.

Your pre-diet work capacity determines a large part of this. And also using exercises that are low on glycolitc demand will do alot to negate the WARNING BANNERS against exercises.
If you did some low intensity cardio warmup for under 20 minutes then go some total strength effort large muscle groups multiple planes and recruitment. Getting no where near your max heart rate. You won't get a high glycolitic load and wouldn't receive a high protein breakdown causing the need for other protein supplementation. You should be done in under 60 minutes total entry to exit and not necessarily be huffing and puffing but still have a warm fuzzy you did something. Here is a podcast with Andy Galpin Professor @ CSU-Fullerton, PhD in Human Bioenergetics, Muscle Physiologist, Weightlifting Coach, Researcher. It is very informative on how the effect dose of exrecise is misreprestive on the conventional wisdom.
http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/3-t...-about-muscle/
Several people in the fitness high end are saying as low as .5-.75 grams per # of LBM on the bottom end of the spectrum. Those are calculations for non hypertrophic (muscle building) individuals. In honesty additional IP supplementation by that calculations shouldn't be needed unless we go with dogma as the argument. Really if you eat too much protein even working out you will stop fatty acid production happening during Low carb/ ketosis. Exercising in a low carb state need to be a gentle enough rate the body can maintain the fatty acid mobilization and not tax glucose to extreme. Or protein will get broken down at a much higher rate and would then need to be supplemented and a subsequent shutting down of fatty acid production. This is a negative all the way around. Including a lower lean body mass thus harder to burn fat in a rested state.

Mark Bell of supertraining, who is a low carb/ keto powerlifter actually doesn't eat that much food typically and he is a very large animal and is pretty lean. Deadlifting over 600#
Everybody is highly personalized and getting a coach or trainer who understands these equations will be next to impossible. With some simple ideas and priciples exercise would be helpful but as a larger issue it could be a net negative applied improperly.

My 1st time on IP my exercise regimen was this.
When on nights shifts or on days off. I would go to the local gym.
Do 15 min warmup on rower, or maybe row 1k meters.
Then I would do several different circuits with kettlebells. goblet squats, swings, snatches, turkish get ups. sometimes for reps or for time periods.

Then maybe do some very heavy farmer walks with biggest dumbells in gym. I would wall the width of the gym a few times. Or Possibly a heavy deadlift or stiff legged deadlifts. 3-5 sets of 80%+ of 5rm work to a 3rm

-----this part I would eliminate without prior capacity and not a good example of typical --------
Then in the PM. I did kickboxing and grappling with a team of local fighters (who competed regionally) for two + hours 3-4 nights a week. My primary workout partner was a jr college wrestler under 170#.

I was doing all of this before I ever started IP and just kept doing it.

Strong people are harder to kill and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe
I agree on the easy sell rationale!
Old 03-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #118  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

I agree with the logic here. It is what has troubled me from the beginning of this, but because I have never did a low carb diet before, I listened to the coach and followed the protocol but it still defies logic to me so for all the reasons you guys point out, I am going to begin weight training in same manner I used to do. I'll forego the aerobic activity for now, but I will get back to weight training with free weights (and reformer pilates, I think - I have never done that before but I have heard very good things about it).
Closed Thread