Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #1  

Default Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 Part 6

Previous thread went over 500. Time for a new thread!

Link to previous one: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-5-a.html

ETA. Oops. Completely forgot to post this essential info

For those who don't go back to the previous thread to find the info (recommend as much research as possible!), here is info on how to pick an alternative product:

If you need specific info on WHAT to eat on IP, go here:
IP Protocol Sheets (this info is linked every day on the first post of the daily chat thread)

Here's a detailed breakdown to consider:
- under 160 calories = Unrestricted (though MOST IP packets range from 90-120)
- 160-200 calories = Restricted (once/daily)
slightly over 200 cals (or 30% fat) is super-restricted (once/weekly)
- less than 30% cal from fat (multiply cals from fat x 3; OK if lower than total cals.)
- under 8 g net carbs - unrestricted
- 9g-16g net carbs - restricted
- 17g net carbs - super restricted (only once/twice per week)
- above 17g net carbs is too high to be good for Phase 1
- at least 12-15g protein (don’t go much above 20g regularly)

* NET = Total carbs minus fiber (some people also subtract all sugar alcohols from total carbs; some subtract half; some choose to not subtract any...... sugar alcohols can affect your body similarly to sugar with spikes) Also remember NO Aspartame!

Here is a less-detailed infographic:

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-07-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/188/140

Default Are IP soy products GMO?

Lisa -- thanks for your great posts on the IP forum. I've been on IP for 4-1/2 months and have lost 39 pounds. I'm feeling like I need to cut back on soy products so am trying alternatives such as Quest chips and bars. BTW, is IP soy GMO or non-GMO?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #3  
SBDubs

S/C/G: 198.4/179.6/165

Height: 5'11''

I just had one of the quest PB cups. EW. Gritty and weird. SO far i have NOT been impressed with any quest products. Im stinking with Proti-thin and Protidiet from here on out.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsizing_for_good View Post
Lisa -- thanks for your great posts on the IP forum. I've been on IP for 4-1/2 months and have lost 39 pounds. I'm feeling like I need to cut back on soy products so am trying alternatives such as Quest chips and bars. BTW, is IP soy GMO or non-GMO?
Congrats on your ~40 lbs! And thanks for the props.
Any products organic or non-GMO certified are so carefully labeled these days that I say they're GMO until labeled otherwise. I know some coaches claim they're organic but they certainly are not labeled that way! I'd actually be willing to pay the higher price for them if they were (and, of course, whey made from grass-fed, pastured cows, as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyjblack View Post
I just had one of the quest PB cups. EW. Gritty and weird. SO far i have NOT been impressed with any quest products. Im stinking with Proti-thin and Protidiet from here on out.
My DH eats the PB cups and thinks they're a great alternative to candy (not the exact same but he likes them).
However, these are NOT P1 friendly.
With 240 calories and 150 of those from fat, that makes them approx 63% fat (IP P1-friendly would be under 30% fat and under 200 cals).

I'm happy with the Quest bars but they can cause me cravings so I usually stop and buy 1 at a time so I won't be tempted. I like the chocolatey ones the best. However, I'm cleaning out and moving toward using mostly non-GMO and organics (STILL less expensive than IP-brand products). Quest bars don't fit that bill. But this one does: Natures Essence All Natural!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #5  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I like the powders, but then I tend to bake with them rather than have them as shakes. The ONLY bar I like so far (and I've tried most of them) is the white chocolate and raspberry. The rest are either too sweet or the texture is wrong.

For the amount of carbs in PB2, I still think it's a great alternative added to a vanilla flavour protein powder.

Have you tried any of HealthSmartFoods chocolite/chocorite products at all?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #6  
Start IP 11/24/14

S/C/G: 244/132/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
I like the powders, but then I tend to bake with them rather than have them as shakes. The ONLY bar I like so far (and I've tried most of them) is the white chocolate and raspberry. The rest are either too sweet or the texture is wrong.

For the amount of carbs in PB2, I still think it's a great alternative added to a vanilla flavour protein powder.

Amanda - Have you only used the chocolite powders? Where do you usually buy them? I have seen them on the netrition website and the cost seems very reasonable. They also seem to have a nice assortment of bars as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #7  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
thanks for the review as i was about to order some! i don't care for the quest bars either, but i do love the sea salt chips!
Old 03-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #8  

Default Nashua Lifetime Diet Club to get Discount

I just recently put in an order and in the Comments box I typed that I was interested in getting the discount. They emailed me back stating the Club costs $29.95. I remember reading that this was free (maybe in the past)... Is it worth this one-time payment? I'm in maintenance but want to have enough IP phase 1-worthy foods in my pantry for day-after-fun-days and rebooting (which i'm doing right now - I have abdominal surgery soon and my diet coach said not to do P1 the week of the surgery. Since I don't have a date I'm trying to get back down to goal now and phase back into P3 before my hernia gets repaired.)
Old 03-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post

Briael - PB2 *relatively speaking* fits the IP P1 protocol? Yes, I know it's not on the sheet - but neither is unsweetened almond milk that my coach ok'd.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabfitt View Post
I just recently put in an order and in the Comments box I typed that I was interested in getting the discount. They emailed me back stating the Club costs $29.95. I remember reading that this was free (maybe in the past)... Is it worth this one-time payment? I'm in maintenance but want to have enough IP phase 1-worthy foods in my pantry for day-after-fun-days and rebooting (which i'm doing right now - I have abdominal surgery soon and my diet coach said not to do P1 the week of the surgery. Since I don't have a date I'm trying to get back down to goal now and phase back into P3 before my hernia gets repaired.)
It was definitely a one-time payment. But it saves me money over the long-haul. I guess you need to decide if you'll save enough to recoup the ~$30, since you're already in maintenance. Otherwise, just stick to buying their sale items. Those change weekly.

you may want to talk to Ruthann about her experience with P1 and hernia surgery.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabfitt View Post
It takes $300 worth of purchases to get your membership cost back. I joined with my first order in 2013 and the membership cost was negated with the savings from my first and second orders. Since then the 10% discount is pure savings.

If it helps, the 10% off isn't factored in when trying to reach the $100 for free shipping. So you don't have to buy $110 in order to still qualify. You can just hit the $100 and only end up spending $90. All other sales still apply too.

I'd say go for it. If nothing else, getting you money back might keep you more motivated to keep eating the packets in maintenance, which might help you stick to it better.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #12  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I like the Quest powders - especially mixing peanut butter with chocolate milkshake - tastes like a Reese's BP cup!

Also, I like the Quest chocolate brownie bar after putting it in microwave for 10 seconds (wasn't a fan of either cinnamon roll or cookie dough bars). This bar also has fewest net carbs.

The MusclePharm Combat bars are by far my favorite, though. The peanut butter cup is only one I have had. It is not P1 compliant with the % of calories from fat as well as there is some sugar added, listed in the middle to lower end ingredients, but this is something I will have in maintenance.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 267/234/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoofan View Post
It takes $300 worth of purchases to get your membership cost back. I joined with my first order in 2013 and the membership cost was negated with the savings from my first and second orders. Since then the 10% discount is pure savings.
Thanks for that info. I may look into it. I buy from Nashua regularly. Didn't know about the discount. I always look for the 10% deals and the free shipping offers.

I'm not a fan of Quest bars at all, but love the chips!

Last edited by sweetvt; 03-03-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
It was definitely a one-time payment. But it saves me money over the long-haul. I guess you need to decide if you'll save enough to recoup the ~$30, since you're already in maintenance. Otherwise, just stick to buying their sale items. Those change weekly.

you may want to talk to Ruthann about her experience with P1 and hernia surgery.
Thanks so much! Will do!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoofan View Post

If it helps, the 10% off isn't factored in when trying to reach the $100 for free shipping. So you don't have to buy $110 in order to still qualify. You can just hit the $100 and only end up spending $90. All other sales still apply too.

I'd say go for it. If nothing else, getting you money back might keep you more motivated to keep eating the packets in maintenance, which might help you stick to it better.
Sounds great; will do this. Thanks to everyone for their tips, tricks and inspiration!
Closed Thread