3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 Part 6 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/302624-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-part-6-a.html)

Wahoofan 05-11-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongo (Post 5162606)

Also, speaking of Nashua, I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that Nashua has a program that will get you 10% off every order. I can't find the post, and I'm not seeing anything on the Nashua site. Am I dreaming this?

Yes, Nashua has a lifetime membership program. It is $30 that is charged all at once. You can put it in the notes of an order or call immediately after placing an order. They will subtract the 10% you would have saved on that order from the $30 cost and process a separate charge to cover the difference. Then when you log in to make future orders, you will see a notification that 10% off is being applied.

You can still use the regular sale codes and the monthly $5 off codes that occasionally come out too.

If you expect to spend $300 or more at Nashua in your lifetime, it is absolutely worth it. I had my investment back after my first two orders.

Bella73123 05-11-2015 10:26 PM

Not sure if anyone has tried these yet, but I found these at Wal-Mart the other day and they are so delicious! Net carbs are only 4, but I use them as a restricted due to the calories being 190. Does anyone see any issues with these? It's been a long time since I did IP.

***I know that they really should only have 57 Cal from fat, but they are 60, and I use them as restricted, so I don't think that is too bad???

http://www.hydroxycut.com/products/h...-protein-bars/

JLUS 05-11-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella73123 (Post 5163549)
Not sure if anyone has tried these yet, but I found these at Wal-Mart the other day and they are so delicious! Net carbs are only 4, but I use them as a restricted due to the calories being 190. Does anyone see any issues with these? It's been a long time since I did IP.

***I know that they really should only have 57 Cal from fat, but they are 60, and I use them as restricted, so I don't think that is too bad???

http://www.hydroxycut.com/products/h...-protein-bars/

They are also restricted by the high net carb count. On IP it is not suggested to subtract the sugar alcohols because they do raise blood sugar and cause insulin release similar to sugar. We are trying to limit insulin release to rest the pancreas.

Personally with the high calories and carbs both at the top of the range, I would limit to 1-2 per week. (Also note that sugar alcohols can cause stomach distress in some people so ypu may need to limit them anyway!)

I really like the Hydroxicut shakes but they are hard to find in my area!

bongo 05-12-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wahoofan (Post 5163340)
Yes, Nashua has a lifetime membership program. It is $30 that is charged all at once. You can put it in the notes of an order or call immediately after placing an order. They will subtract the 10% you would have saved on that order from the $30 cost and process a separate charge to cover the difference. Then when you log in to make future orders, you will see a notification that 10% off is being applied.

You can still use the regular sale codes and the monthly $5 off codes that occasionally come out too.

If you expect to spend $300 or more at Nashua in your lifetime, it is absolutely worth it. I had my investment back after my first two orders.

Thank you, wahoo! This is the exact info I was looking for.

Pebbles1964 05-13-2015 12:28 PM

Hi y'all! I've been out of the loop and a very bad girl for a while:o I probably need a spanking.:s::devil: But I digress and that's a different convo for a different topic. . .

These may have already been mentioned, but I didn't look to see, and like I said I've been out of the loop for a while. . .

With a freebie I've discovered the Proti-Thin Protein Bar VLC (Very Low Carb) through Nashua Nutrition. With all the bars suggested on this site, I've either not been a fan or could take 'em or leave 'em. I love the VLC bars and I've only been able to find them through Nashua. Below is an example of the nutritional facts:

Peanut Batter Nougat Bar --
Serving Size: 1 Bar (49g) Servings Per Container: 7
Amount Per Serving
Calories 160 Calories from Fat 60
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 1.5g
Trans. Fat 0g
Cholesterol 5mg
Sodium 170mg
Potassium 150mg
Total Carbohydrate 17g
Dietary Fiber 12g
Sugars 4g
Sugar Alcohol 0g
Protein 15g

Iron 0% (2,000 Calorie Diet)
Vitamin A 0% (2,000 Calorie Diet)
Vitamin C 0% (2,000 Calorie Diet)
Calcium 6% (2,000 Calorie Diet)

Ingredients

Protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate), isomalto-oligosaccharide, maltodextrin, peanuts, invert sugar, natural flavors, peanut oil, partially defatted peanut flour, sea salt, coconut oil, cocoa butter, sunflower lecithin, monk fruit extract, xanthan gum, canola oil, tocopherols.

Contains: milk, soy, egg, peanuts and tree nuts (almonds).

So, with the fiber, you can see that the net carbs are only 5.:woohoo:

I've ordered and re-ordered the Peanut Batter, Chocolate Crisp, Chocolate Chip, and Almond Coconut. As much as I love chocolate, my favorites are actually the Almond Coconut and the Peanut Batter.:rolleyes: Go figure.

There are a few more flavors, but I haven't tried them.

Have a great day!

oneuh2 05-13-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pebbles1964 (Post 5164052)
Hi y'all! I've been out of the loop and a very bad girl for a while:o I probably need a spanking.:s::devil: But I digress and that's a different convo for a different topic. . .

These may have already been mentioned, but I didn't look to see, and like I said I've been out of the loop for a while. . .

With a freebie I've discovered the Proti-Thin Protein Bar VLC (Very Low Carb) through Nashua Nutrition. With all the bars suggested on this site, I've either not been a fan or could take 'em or leave 'em. I love the VLC bars and I've only been able to find them through Nashua. Below is an example of the nutritional facts:

Peanut Batter Nougat Bar --
Serving Size: 1 Bar (49g) Servings Per Container: 7
Amount Per Serving

Calories 160 Calories from Fat 60
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 1.5g
Trans. Fat 0g
Cholesterol 5mg
Sodium 170mg
Potassium 150mg
Total Carbohydrate 17g
Dietary Fiber 12g
Sugars 4g
Sugar Alcohol 0g
Protein 15g

Iron 0% (2,000 Calorie Diet)
Vitamin A 0% (2,000 Calorie Diet)
Vitamin C 0% (2,000 Calorie Diet)
Calcium 6% (2,000 Calorie Diet)

Ingredients

Protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate), isomalto-oligosaccharide, maltodextrin, peanuts, invert sugar, natural flavors, peanut oil, partially defatted peanut flour, sea salt, coconut oil, cocoa butter, sunflower lecithin, monk fruit extract, xanthan gum, canola oil, tocopherols.

Contains: milk, soy, egg, peanuts and tree nuts (almonds).

So, with the fiber, you can see that the net carbs are only 5.:woohoo:

I've ordered and re-ordered the Peanut Batter, Chocolate Crisp, Chocolate Chip, and Almond Coconut. As much as I love chocolate, my favorites are actually the Almond Coconut and the Peanut Batter.:rolleyes: Go figure.

There are a few more flavors, but I haven't tried them.

Have a great day!

Glad to see you here, Pebbles!!! Our July Starters who are still with 3FC have gathered with the other IP starters from last summer - in addition to the Daily Chat, be sure to drop by Summer 2014 Starters thread - new one begins each month.

Re: your Proti-Thin Protein Bar VLC (Very Low Carb)...
Total calories look ok, and net carbs look ok to me, but fat is 37.5%.... 30% or less is the desired level according to the guidelines for alternatives in Lisa's intro posting of this thread.... so I guess I would use this bar, but treat it as restricted.

Quality of chocolate used in diet foods is generally pretty low, so I can understand your preference for the non choc items... :)

Thanks for sharing this - bars are so portable and they fill my craving for sweets. More to choose from is always good.

Pebbles1964 05-13-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneuh2 (Post 5164087)
Glad to see you here, Pebbles!!! .... so I guess I would use this bar, but treat it as restricted.

Quality of chocolate used in diet foods is generally pretty low, so I can understand your preference for the non choc items... :)

Thanks for sharing this - bars are so portable and they fill my craving for sweets. More to choose from is always good.

Thanks! Yes. I have been "trying" to treat it as a restricted.:rolleyes::cry: That's PART of my having been a "bad girl.":p

oneuh2 05-13-2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pebbles1964 (Post 5164090)
Thanks! Yes. I have been "trying" to treat it as a restricted.:rolleyes::cry: That's PART of my having been a "bad girl.":p

ooooohhh.... these are so good that they are a trigger for you, perhaps? This can be a good reason to avoid them all together, or make them a once a week treat item.... maybe the day of your Weigh In, after you get your weekly recording of the scale.

Bella73123 05-14-2015 03:49 PM

OK, so I guess I've been making a big WHOOPS with my bars. The only two that I have been using (daily:^:) are the pure protein bars, and the Hydroxycut Lean Protein bars.

I was subtracting the sugar alcohols and therefore thought I was doing just great treating them as restricted due to the calories...I guess neither of them truly meets the IP guidelines, and therefore they are more comparable to the ** twice a week max items that IP (used to?) offers.

I lost only 1 little lb this week. This is my third week, and I know that loses are generally less that week while your body sort of regulates itself, but my losses the 1st and 2nd week were pretty low compared to what I usually lose. (This is my 3 restart on IP, but that's a whole other story lol) Usually I'm down 12 lbs in the 1st two weeks, and 20 by the end of the 1st month.

So, now I went out and grabbed some quest bars, HOLY WOW they are expensive, $39 for a box of 12! I picked up these bars, Lemon creme pie, Cinnamon roll, Strawberry cheesecake and double chocolate chunk. Could someone please confirm for me that THESE bars are ok to use as my daily restricted?

Link to nutritional information:

http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-bars/

bongo 05-17-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella73123 (Post 5164410)
So, now I went out and grabbed some quest bars, HOLY WOW they are expensive, $39 for a box of 12! I picked up these bars, Lemon creme pie, Cinnamon roll, Strawberry cheesecake and double chocolate chunk. Could someone please confirm for me that THESE bars are ok to use as my daily restricted?

I am using Quest bars as a restricted: mostly the chocolate peanut butter, lemon cream pie, and chocolate brownie. I've tried several others but these three are the ones I liked the most (and these happen to be lower calorie as far as Quest bars go). I'm afraid to try the chocolate chip cookie dough - have heard such good things about it that I'm wondering if it might be too good!

I came here to comment on the price. I ordered a box of each of the 3 flavors I like directly from the Quest website, and they were only $24.99/box. I found a coupon code online that negated the shipping cost. At GNC you can buy single bars for $2.99 but 4 for the price of 3 so it works out to less than you're paying there too. I've also seen Quest bars at Nashua.

Regarding whether they're restricted or not, it's too much fuss for me to figure out which are restricted and which are not so I just count all Quest bars as restricted, which has been fine since I don't use any other items that would be considered restricted. Until now.

I just ordered the Proti-Thin "hot base mix" for soup and a variety of the different flavor packs to try. I was excited to see that the flavor packs say Gluten Free right on the box so I didn't have to micromanage the ingredient lists. I think they are unrestricted but higher calorie so I may not eat them in the same day as a Quest bar. I guess it might not matter since I haven't even tried them yet. Maybe they'll end up being disgusting!

Here's an example of the macros, this is for the hot base mix + the farmhouse cheddar and broccoli flavor pack. Can someone verify for me that this is on plan & unrestricted?

160 kcals
total fat 4.5g
total carb 9g
fiber 5g
protein 22g

This is pretty high in protein & kcal for an unrestricted and the Quest bars I eat are also around the same kcal and protein. Should I choose either the soup or a bar on a given day or is it fine to have both?

EmmaD 05-17-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongo (Post 5165110)
I just ordered the Proti-Thin "hot base mix" for soup and a variety of the different flavor packs to try. I was excited to see that the flavor packs say Gluten Free right on the box so I didn't have to micromanage the ingredient lists. I think they are unrestricted but higher calorie so I may not eat them in the same day as a Quest bar. I guess it might not matter since I haven't even tried them yet. Maybe they'll end up being disgusting!

Here's an example of the macros, this is for the hot base mix + the farmhouse cheddar and broccoli flavor pack. Can someone verify for me that this is on plan & unrestricted?

160 kcals
total fat 4.5g
total carb 9g
fiber 5g
protein 22g

This is pretty high in protein & kcal for an unrestricted and the Quest bars I eat are also around the same kcal and protein. Should I choose either the soup or a bar on a given day or is it fine to have both?

Hey that's pretty cool! I didn't know about this when I just placed an order... personally I would call it unrestricted as it is what, ~40-70 calories more than most unrestricteds... this diet is already so low-calorie I (again personally) would NOT worry about that amount of variation. Alternatively, you could also choose lower-cal select veggies* or dinner protein, if you want to keep your daily calories more even. This soup base + mix is even a bit high in protein so maybe you could cut your dinner protein for the day you eat that to 7 oz instead of 8? That would take care of any calorie difference as well.

The base + mix = $3.42 each instead of $1.85 for the regular soups. Maybe this mix tastes way better....? I am curious to try it now.

The flavors are interesting - Thai Tomato... Hungarian Mushroom... but it also makes me think of ways to tweak the regular soup mixes. Some lime juice and coconut extract to tomato soup and paprika/onion powder/garlic to the mushroom soup.

Anyway, good to know about this unflavored base. I would try that and make my own recipes. I have created my own broccoli cheddar using unflavored protein powder and it was pretty OK.

---

* I was curious about this so I just looked at my chart of every select and occasional veggie with calorie counts. Most of the non-leafy green choices are in the 20-40 calorie range per cup, so 80-160 calories per day for 4 cups.

Most people don't eat 4 cups of the same thing in one day! but here are some examples of the highest and lowest:
4 cups of celery root in one day = ~264 cal
4 cups of white onion (in one day? ICK) = ~256 cal
4 cups of rutabaga = ~200 cal
4 cups bamboo shoots = ~160 cal
4 cups of cabbage = ~100 calories
4 cups of brown mushrooms = ~80 cal
4 cups of dill pickles = ~68 cal
4 cups of collards - ~44 cal
4 cups of swiss chard or spinach = ~28 cal

bongo 05-17-2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaD (Post 5165153)
Hey that's pretty cool! I didn't know about this when I just placed an order... personally I would call it unrestricted as it is what, ~40-70 calories more than most unrestricteds... this diet is already so low-calorie I (again personally) would NOT worry about that amount of variation. Alternatively, you could also choose lower-cal select veggies* or dinner protein, if you want to keep your daily calories more even. This soup base + mix is even a bit high in protein so maybe you could cut your dinner protein for the day you eat that to 7 oz instead of 8? That would take care of any calorie difference as well.

The base + mix = $3.42 each instead of $1.85 for the regular soups. Maybe this mix tastes way better....? I am curious to try it now.

The flavors are interesting - Thai Tomato... Hungarian Mushroom... but it also makes me think of ways to tweak the regular soup mixes. Some lime juice and coconut extract to tomato soup and paprika/onion powder/garlic to the mushroom soup.

Anyway, good to know about this unflavored base. I would try that and make my own recipes. I have created my own broccoli cheddar using unflavored protein powder and it was pretty OK.

I try not to micromanage this diet but you caught me going down that rabbit hole! Ha! You are so right. I doubt that 40 extra calories will make much difference in the grand scheme of things. Plus, I think there is some theory that varying your calories from day to day may be better.

Yes, these soups are much more expensive. But I'm hoping they'll be tastier too. Plus, so far I haven't found very many soup selections that are gluten free (I have celiac). Why didn't I ever think of trying to make my own?! You are so clever! I love these ideas you posted.

EmmaD 05-19-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Aaaaand... How was it???

Bella73123 05-19-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

I am using Quest bars as a restricted: mostly the chocolate peanut butter, lemon cream pie, and chocolate brownie. I've tried several others but these three are the ones I liked the most (and these happen to be lower calorie as far as Quest bars go). I'm afraid to try the chocolate chip cookie dough - have heard such good things about it that I'm wondering if it might be too good!

I came here to comment on the price. I ordered a box of each of the 3 flavors I like directly from the Quest website, and they were only $24.99/box. I found a coupon code online that negated the shipping cost. At GNC you can buy single bars for $2.99 but 4 for the price of 3 so it works out to less than you're paying there too. I've also seen Quest bars at Nashua.

Regarding whether they're restricted or not, it's too much fuss for me to figure out which are restricted and which are not so I just count all Quest bars as restricted, which has been fine since I don't use any other items that would be considered restricted. Until now.

160 kcals
total fat 4.5g
total carb 9g
fiber 5g
protein 22g

I count them all as restricted due to the high calories. The price I paid for a box was actually really cheap GNC sells them here for $49/box! I have ordered them directly from Quest but they won't ship the chips to Canada (even though we can buy them here???) so I have them going to our office in the US and coming back with one of our managers! Way cheaper, even with the exchange and the duty.

Bella73123 05-19-2015 02:28 PM

Quick question, I know someone posted about baking "cookies" from their Quest bars, anyone know what temp and how long? I tried them at 325 for 12 minutes but they were not the best, so I think I didn't do it at the right temp/time.