Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #211  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Also, one quick question. (This is Slimming2, btw. Just changed my username because I realized the name may start to make me feel "pressured". )

Do you subtract the egg white used in this recipe from your total real food protein for the day?
Depends how frequently you are baking with that egg white. If it's every day you should be counting it. If it's once or twice a week some clinics just allow it as a freebie. Personally, I like to track it anyway.

Quote:
So now I have 2 more questions:
1. Is it allowed to split the 8 oz protein? I was thinking of having 4 oz at lunch and 4 oz at dinner, but according to the protocol sheet, the protein should be eaten at dinner.
2. Does splitting the protein negatively affect weight loss?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, if 8 raw oz of protein is too much for you in one meal, then it's fine to split it. Just remember that it is a RAW weight of protein, not the cooked amount. Some meats shrink heavily (those that are pumped full of water) and some don't.

No, splitting protein is no different. Your body doesn't look at each meal's macros individually, it looks at your consumption pattern. The latest scientific findings indicate that even the timing of your meals is not important from a nutritional point of view. However, that said, I have found that foods high in sodium consumed later in the day DO contribute to water retention. This may be a reason for IP recommending not leaving proteins until the end of the day, as most meats/fish do have sodium at higher levels than the IP packets.

Don't forget that unless you are carb sensitive, your body isn't a hair trigger reactor. What you eat over a few days will affect your pattern of loss more so than what you eat on any given day. This is why people are surprised when they go out to eat and consume more calories and see no gain at all the next day. We do not gain fat weight instantly - we gain water retention instantly. This also supports the "don't freak out about minor ups during your loss journey" because the composition of what we eat affects how much water our body needs to handle it, and thus it will retain what it needs. Likewise, exercise puts pressure on muscle. Muscle needs more water than fat to function, and more water on top of that to repair after use. Every time you use muscle your body breaks it down and rebuilds it. This is why the protein intake is extremely important when you are exercising during IP.

Last edited by Briael; 04-24-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #212  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
So now I have 2 more questions:
1. Is it allowed to split the 8 oz protein? I was thinking of having 4 oz at lunch and 4 oz at dinner, but according to the protocol sheet, the protein should be eaten at dinner.
2. Does splitting the protein negatively affect weight loss?

Thanks in advance!
Cute on the name change
1 - I do not count the egg white. I treat it as a freebie. This is something I am doing on my mini- reboot. I didn't eat this in my first 7 months to reach goal but others do so I think you are fine.
2 - you are allowed to split
3 - I doubt that it negatively affects weight or fat loss in any concerning way. My guess is it has to do with overnight fasting.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #213  

Hi There

I am wondering if there is an alternative of the IP Raspberry Jello?

I have gone all the way back to posts from 2010 and have only located the following: Pure Protein Protein Snacks 100 calorie cups. Cherry Punch Cups. "Gelatin for the Active Lifestyle" Unfortunately I cannot locate where these are sold.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #214  
Started IP 4/23/15

S/C/G: 237/226.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Thank you Ro22 and Briael. Your replies are very helpful.

2 days down. Many, many, many more to go. I had dinner out last night and stuck to my plan and had grilled shrimp and grilled asparagus, and I have plans for lunch out today also. Will have the boiled shrimp/crab dinner and whatever non-starchy vegetable I can find.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #215  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivig View Post
Hi There

I am wondering if there is an alternative of the IP Raspberry Jello?

I have gone all the way back to posts from 2010 and have only located the following: Pure Protein Protein Snacks 100 calorie cups. Cherry Punch Cups. "Gelatin for the Active Lifestyle" Unfortunately I cannot locate where these are sold.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance
The Health Smart brand from Nashua Nutrition has a raspberry and a strawberry banana protein gelatin
The Proti-thin brand has a strawberry banana flavor

Alternatively, you can use plain gelatin (I use Great Lakes brand) and flavor it with Mio or other brands. You could even use Syntrax Nectar Twisted Cherry and make it into jello with plain gelatin. I make a rhubarb "custard" with cooked rhubarb, red Mio, and plain gelatin.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-27-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #216  
Started IP 4/23/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I make a rhubary "custard" with cooked rhubarb, red Mio, and plain gelatin.
This sounds really good. Will have to try something like that.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #217  
Started IP 4/23/15

As I suspected so far I am enjoying snack items more than sweet items. The Quest chips I've tried have been ok (sour cream & onion and cheddar), not great. They would benefit from extra seasoning in my opinion.

I decided to risk it and try the Proti-Diet crisps even though they are not technically gluten free since they are produced on equipment that may have had gluten contamination. I did not feel any side effects after eating them so will continue to use them and will see if my bloodwork reflects any damage done at my next MD visit. I got the white cheddar ones and like them better than any Quest chips I've had so far. I believe they are unrestricted.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #218  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

Quote:
Thank you Ro22 and Briael. Your replies are very helpful.

2 days down. Many, many, many more to go. I had dinner out last night and stuck to my plan and had grilled shrimp and grilled asparagus, and I have plans for lunch out today also. Will have the boiled shrimp/crab dinner and whatever non-starchy vegetable I can find.
I just had to say "Way to rock your plan and work it girl! Congratulations"
Old 04-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #219  

Ro22, thank you so much for the recipes using the Quest powders. I just tried the plain powder and made bread, I was very pleased! I have been making myself a killer bowl of "ice cream" with the Vanilla milkshake flavor. I eyeball the amount of ice and water but I think it's about 1 1/2 cups ice - 2 cups, approx.1/4 cup water, 1 scoop Vanilla powder and 2 TB PB2. Put in my Ninja Blender and mix. You can add more water if needed and be sure to grind up ice well. I finish it with a hit of WF chocolate syrup. It is delish!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #220  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Hi IPeeps - I don't post here much because I am still trying to figure out what works for me (leaning toward Alternate Protocol but working on some other eating issues first). Anyway I use a lot of the alternative products. I just wanted to give a shout out to one of Rainbow Smiles' recipes, the Greek lemon-chicken-"rice" soup Avgolemono. I was suspicious of it - my cauliflower was not the freshest, I don't really like that Chicken Noodle Soup packet, my egg seemed like it curdled a bit...

Here to report that it is DELICIOUS. I really can't believe it. The lemon is so good. It is going to get me though those soup packets that have been neglected for nearly a year.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #221  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothgirl View Post
Ro22, thank you so much for the recipes using the Quest powders. I just tried the plain powder and made bread, I was very pleased! I have been making myself a killer bowl of "ice cream" with the Vanilla milkshake flavor. I eyeball the amount of ice and water but I think it's about 1 1/2 cups ice - 2 cups, approx.1/4 cup water, 1 scoop Vanilla powder and 2 TB PB2. Put in my Ninja Blender and mix. You can add more water if needed and be sure to grind up ice well. I finish it with a hit of WF chocolate syrup. It is delish!
You are welcome!
I'm not sure which recipe you tried for the bread as I have been tinkering a bit. If you didn't include xanthan gum, be sure to include it next time - it gives it a bit of a gummy texture (not as dense) just like real bread! I also read from Amanda (Briael) that if you add a drop of real good vinegar, it will yield a similar result so I am going to try this next.

Thanks for sharing that idea - I will try it!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #222  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
You are welcome!
I'm not sure which recipe you tried for the bread as I have been tinkering a bit. If you didn't include xanthan gum, be sure to include it next time - it gives it a bit of a gummy texture (not as dense) just like real bread! I also read from Amanda (Briael) that if you add a drop of real good vinegar, it will yield a similar result so I am going to try this next.

Thanks for sharing that idea - I will try it!
I did not use the xanthan gum, I'll get some, do local grocery stores carry that? Would I also add it to the Quest Chocolate Milkshake if I were to make more of a cake?
Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #223  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothgirl View Post
I did not use the xanthan gum, I'll get some, do local grocery stores carry that? Would I also add it to the Quest Chocolate Milkshake if I were to make more of a cake?
Thanks again.
Yes, local grocery stores carry it but not all do. I had to go to 2 different stores to find it.

Yes you can add to make more of a cake.

I followed the back of the package - a little goes a long way. When I made 6 large muffins, I used 1 tbsp of it, which is 3 tsp so that equated to 1/2 tsp to one scoop of quest powder.

When I wanted more flavoring, I used extracts. The banana added to the vanilla was great - I made them with and w/o the extract. I liked them better with it. There are a number of extracts so you can choose and get creative with them.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #224  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_6 View Post
Would you mind sharing the exact recipe, i.e. amounts ?
Ack, I'm sorry CO6, I've just scrolled back in the thread for Ro's bread recipe using the quest powder and saw that I hadn't even noticed this, much less replied. Apologies!

1 scoop of protein powder
1 egg (whisked so it's light and fluffy) or egg white (if preferred)
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
Optional packet of sweetener
1/4 c water

Mix the dry ingredients and stir with a fork to mix them in. Really important to get the baking powder mixed in properly or you get a weird taste occasionally when you bite into pure powder.

Whisk the egg so it is frothy. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the egg and fold the dry ingredients into the egg mix. Add water a single tbsp at a time until you get a waffle consistency.

You will definitely need to use a cooking spray in the waffle maker, because the protein powders are stickier than pancake mix.

Hope you see this!

Last edited by Briael; 04-28-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #225  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
This sounds really good. Will have to try something like that.
That sounds awesome! I just added that to my recipes - can't wait to try!
Closed Thread