Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #61  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all that Lisa. You really have a way to make things that are blurry a little more clear! You are more "up on things" than my clinic appears to be ( I'm beginning to think they are just there to sell the products) so please know that you are doing a lot of us good here! Are you a coach by chance? If not I think you may have missed your calling!

BTW it seems my weepy spell has passed. I feel a lot more in control of my emotions. I'm looking forward to my weigh in and whatever the numbers show, I'll be okay with it. I know I overdid the salt a couple nights this week because it showed on my scales but I think I may have flushed all that out for this morning's clinic visit. Also I'm sure I ate too much taco meat the other night. It was the last of the precooked gr beef that I had and it was cooked before I went OP. So I've mentally prepared myself for not so great numbers today. But with that being said...NSV alert!!!... Today I am wearing a top that I have not been able to put on in almost 4 years. And my belt moved over a notch!! So there's that!! I hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by frawniemae; 02-11-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #62  
Started IP 11/26/2014

S/C/G: 205 (190 on IP)/174/150

Height: 5'5"

frawniemae - I hope you are doing better. I think we've all been through those episodes where we are just upset for NO reason. Those darn hormones!! I'm so glad that you post here frequently, I have to say I really enjoy your posts. You say your a pessimist at heart, I don't believe it. You seem so optimistic and excited. Or you're really good at that whole "fake it til you make it" thing. Keep up with it and stay strong. We are all here for you, just like you would be here for us!

Lisa, about the cortisol, I'm glad that you brought that up. It's something we forget about when we're lost in the roller coaster of weight loss. My losses have started to slow and I wonder if it's not due to cortisol a bit. I've been a little stressed out (for my standards at least, I'm usually the least stressed person you'll ever meet). I think I'm going to try to take some time out of my day and meditate or do light yoga for 15 minutes a day (which to me, is meditation). Thank you for this.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #63  
started IP 7/23/14

S/C/G: 264.4/161.4/164

Height: 5'3''

This discussion of stress and roller coaster emotions really resonates with me. I have had bouts of weepiness and anxiety since late November. They roughly correspond with the stresses in my life, but have seemed a complete overreaction to that stress. My doctor agrees that it probably caused by a combination of hormones, winter and taking away my go-to stress reliever (carbs). I thought about moving out of Phase 1 early, but decided to try to stick it out until I get to my goal - which I hope will take another month or two.

in the meantime, I am trying to get at least an hour of natural light each day, and have discovered the zen of knitting. One lesson in, I can knit well enough to feel like I am doing something, but it takes enough concentration that it takes my mind off whatever crazy thing I am obsessing about. Don't know if I will ever actually make anything, but for now the process of knitting is working for me (and it keeps the hands busy when everyone else is sitting around snacking).
Old 02-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #64  
Start IP 11/24/14

S/C/G: 244/132/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawniemae View Post
Thanks for all that Lisa. You really have a way to make things that are blurry a little more clear! You are more "up on things" than my clinic appears to be ( I'm beginning to think they are just there to sell the products) so please know that you are doing a lot of us good here! Are you a coach by chance? If not I think you may have missed your calling!

BTW it seems my weepy spell has passed. I feel a lot more in control of my emotions. I'm looking forward to my weigh in and whatever the numbers show, I'll be okay with it. I know I overdid the salt a couple nights this week because it showed on my scales but I think I may have flushed all that out for this morning's clinic visit. Also I'm sure I ate too much taco meat the other night. It was the last of the precooked gr beef that I had and it was cooked before I went OP. So I've mentally prepared myself for not so great numbers today. But with that being said...NSV alert!!!... Today I am wearing a top that I have not been able to put on in almost 4 years. And my belt moved over a notch!! So there's that!! I hope everyone has a great day!
Woo-hoo on the NSV's!! Sending good (((vibes))) for weigh-in!!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #65  

S/C/G: SW 246/168/146

Height: 5"2.5'

Quote:
I am having one of those days. And I don't know why. Yesterday I was feeling good and happy, even going out of my way to visit with people I haven't seen in a while (something I rarely do since I am more apt to stay home and by myself). Had a good night's sleep and woke up in a good mood. Then for some reason, I just got all weepy and I have been sniffling and crying over NOTHING for most of the day. I am post menopausal so I can't blame TOM. But I can't help but wonder if hormones still play apart in this. I really don't have friends that I can go grab a cup of joe with or window shop (never really been one to do that anyways). I'm not hungry but in the past on days such as this, I would be eating one thing after another. I refuse to go there now!! So here I am, boo hooing all over my keyboard and I don't know why. If it weren't so late in the day I'd go to bed but it's too late for a nap and too early for bedtime. I went for a walk but that didn't help much. Sat in the sun and while it felt good, still didn't help much. Heading into my fourth week on IP and it is way too early for diet fatigue so what gives? I sure tomorrow will be better. I have my weigh in and I don't want to be red eyed while I'm there. I know "this too shall pass" but I sure wish it'd hurry up.

Sending hugs, I think that we have all been there. Unfortunately, I know for me there is not much that can fix it however I know that it does pass! Keep your chin up, you are doing great and I am sure that tomorrow will be better!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #66  

S/C/G: SW 246/168/146

Height: 5"2.5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
February 10, 2015 - Tuesday Reality Check

If you think, “It’s not fair that I have to work so hard at losing weight,” remind yourself that while it is unfair that some people have to work at this while others don't, the reality is that everyone has unfairnesses in their lives, and this is one of yours. But at least this is one you can do something about!
Thank you for posting this Lisa! You always seem to say the right things, at exactly the right time. I don't know where I would be without all of you!

Thank you!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #67  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

I posted in the Spring challenge thread my experience at weigh in this morning. I'll keep it short here and just say that their scales are whacked. I edited my siggie by what my home scales showed this morning. At least on mine I get the same number 3 times in a row.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo82 View Post
Had my 4th weigh-in, making it a month on IP. Only down 0.6 pounds by the clinic's scale this week, but am down at least 1 -1.5 pounds by my home scale. And down 0.5 inches. So, not a big loss this week, at least no gains, but a little disappointed. Going to try to focus on drinking more water this week and cutting back on restricted items. I've been having a restricted item each day (IP brownie). I got a different snack today to mix it up. Congrats to everyone on their losses this week! Hope everyone has a great week!!
I had a coach for about 3 months. Then I went on my own with alternatives. Every once in while he would say to cut out restricted if he thought my losses were slow. THIS NEVER WORKED, at least for me. This program is very restrictive in calories. You need the extra calories & carbs that the one restricted a day gives you. I would suggest mixing up your animal protein. Don't stick to chicken/fish so much. Eat some hamburger or pork. That almost always worked for me. And sometimes you just don't loose that much in a week. The next week you loose a couple of pounds. The body will do what it wants and let go of the pounds when it's ready to. Hang in there. You're doing great!

Quote:
I am having one of those days. And I don't know why. Yesterday I was feeling good and happy, even going out of my way to visit with people I haven't seen in a while (something I rarely do since I am more apt to stay home and by myself). Had a good night's sleep and woke up in a good mood. Then for some reason, I just got all weepy and I have been sniffling and crying over NOTHING for most of the day. I am post menopausal so I can't blame TOM. But I can't help but wonder if hormones still play apart in this. I really don't have friends that I can go grab a cup of joe with or window shop (never really been one to do that anyways). I'm not hungry but in the past on days such as this, I would be eating one thing after another. I refuse to go there now!! So here I am, boo hooing all over my keyboard and I don't know why. If it weren't so late in the day I'd go to bed but it's too late for a nap and too early for bedtime. I went for a walk but that didn't help much. Sat in the sun and while it felt good, still didn't help much. Heading into my fourth week on IP and it is way too early for diet fatigue so what gives? I sure tomorrow will be better. I have my weigh in and I don't want to be red eyed while I'm there. I know "this too shall pass" but I sure wish it'd hurry up.
Hugs to you sweetie. What Lisa said. You have done a wonderful job, have a great attitude and remember, like you could forget, you just had a scare over your husband's health. Not having food as coping mechanism can leave us groping for ways to cope. I never felt worse after having a good cry, I always felt better. Glad to see that you are feeling better today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser58 View Post
This discussion of stress and roller coaster emotions really resonates with me. I have had bouts of weepiness and anxiety since late November. They roughly correspond with the stresses in my life, but have seemed a complete overreaction to that stress. My doctor agrees that it probably caused by a combination of hormones, winter and taking away my go-to stress reliever (carbs). I thought about moving out of Phase 1 early, but decided to try to stick it out until I get to my goal - which I hope will take another month or two.

in the meantime, I am trying to get at least an hour of natural light each day, and have discovered the zen of knitting. One lesson in, I can knit well enough to feel like I am doing something, but it takes enough concentration that it takes my mind off whatever crazy thing I am obsessing about. Don't know if I will ever actually make anything, but for now the process of knitting is working for me (and it keeps the hands busy when everyone else is sitting around snacking).
I love knitting. I did it years ago when my kids were younger but I've taken back up again. I am working on a beanie for my son right now. Check out www.Ravelry.com. There are tons of tutorials, free patterns, yarn advice.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:04 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Awe...so sorry that happened.
Sounds like your coach might not understand ketosis and effects of other things like stress hormones.

We can eat a ketogenic diet and gain or not lose weight based on calorie consumption. The body would still be in ketosis.

It isn't the ketosis per se that causes the weight loss.
It is calorie amounts/use coupled with how the body manages things like stress, water retention, and myriad of other things.

There really isn't anything called "starvation mode". I used to believe in it too, until I learned more about the science.

What I'm guessing is it could be a hormone at work. Cortisol is a stress hormone that REALLY interferes with weight loss (and probably causes the "starvation mode" legend). Cortisol could have been your culprit, especially with a long work weekend.

Additionally, slight upticks happen from time-to-time based on elimination (water retention, bowels not cleared).

The good news? There is NO WAY the 2 lbs is fat. You'd have to eat at least 7000 additional calories to gain/store 2 fat pounds.

Many people have seen a whoosh after a flatline or slight uptick. Every weight loss graph will be a jagged line. So, consider yourself on a bumpy road headed toward a goal!

Hope something in this ramble helped.
Have a great day!
Thanks Lisa....since I did not consume 7000 calories or for that matter anything not on program, your explanation makes sense! I found it hard to believe that 2 days of a 5 hour gap could make me gain, but I trusted what she said. In addition to that I have hit one of those weights that i have not been under in a long time ( under 210) so I just figure my body needs some time to sort it out.... Thanks again for all your awsome insight!
Old 02-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #70  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 View Post
WI yesterday has me up 2! Huh??? I was so damn mad yesterday, but me and my coach looked over my journals and figured out I am out of Ketosis because of my long work weekend where I had gone 5+ hours without food for 3 days. She says I put body into starvation mode and probably knocked myself out of ketosis....It makes sense, but I am still mad LOL... Anyway back to business yesterday. Ate every 3 hours like I had been in the beginning and hopefully I will get myself back into Ketosis .... Sadly I will have times like this. kind of hard to eat every 3 hours if I have clients in the car with me...cant whip out my salad while driving. LOL.....Anyway I don't have another client like that in for 2 weeks so I am going to do my best to eat every 3 hours and make it work!
Quote:
Awe...so sorry that happened.
Sounds like your coach might not understand ketosis and effects of other things like stress hormones.

We can eat a ketogenic diet and gain or not lose weight based on calorie consumption. The body would still be in ketosis.

It isn't the ketosis per se that causes the weight loss.
It is calorie amounts/use coupled with how the body manages things like stress, water retention, and myriad of other things.

There really isn't anything called "starvation mode". I used to believe in it too, until I learned more about the science.

What I'm guessing is it could be a hormone at work. Cortisol is a stress hormone that REALLY interferes with weight loss (and probably causes the "starvation mode" legend). Cortisol could have been your culprit, especially with a long work weekend.

Additionally, slight upticks happen from time-to-time based on elimination (water retention, bowels not cleared).

The good news? There is NO WAY the 2 lbs is fat. You'd have to eat at least 7000 additional calories to gain/store 2 fat pounds.

Many people have seen a whoosh after a flatline or slight uptick. Every weight loss graph will be a jagged line. So, consider yourself on a bumpy road headed toward a goal!

Hope something in this ramble helped.
Have a great day!
I absolutely agree with Lisa. If there is more than 5 hours between your last meal of the day and breakfast then why didn't that put you into "starvation" mode previously, too? It isn't feasible that starvation can happen in ketosis, because the body is primed to burn alternative fuels rather than twiddle its thumbs waiting for some yummy carbs. If it doesn't have a ready supply available it will burn fat to give you glucose.

The only other variable in there that may account for some of the gain, is that you could be gaining muscle and offsetting fat loss, or water retention weight loss as a net gain.

I had a couple of big whooshes after my net gain a couple of weeks ago, and it will happen for you, too, Sue.

Congrats on all the WIs this week IPeeps!

Glad you're feeling brighter today, frawniemae .. you're such a lovely person and always contributing in positive ways that it seemed very sad for you to be down. Hope your WI today is a nice one! and do celebrate that 20 down milestone!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 220/201/155

Height: 5'10''

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
I had a coach for about 3 months. Then I went on my own with alternatives. Every once in while he would say to cut out restricted if he thought my losses were slow. THIS NEVER WORKED, at least for me. This program is very restrictive in calories. You need the extra calories & carbs that the one restricted a day gives you. I would suggest mixing up your animal protein. Don't stick to chicken/fish so much. Eat some hamburger or pork. That almost always worked for me. And sometimes you just don't loose that much in a week. The next week you loose a couple of pounds. The body will do what it wants and let go of the pounds when it's ready to. Hang in there. You're doing great!
Thanks so much!! The different proteins may help me too. I've been buying a lot of chicken, in bulk Kroger packages. And mostly ground turkey. I'll try to add some different things in. I'm still pleased with the losses in a month and I'm getting more used to the plan, just love seeing the scale go down more!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #72  
Started IP 11/26/2014

S/C/G: 205 (190 on IP)/174/150

Height: 5'5"

I started tracking my food in MFP to get an idea of what's going on and get back in the habit for maintenance and I noticed that my net carbs are pretty high even though I'm totally 100% OP. I've changed my packets up a bit in the last little bit and I eat a lot of rhubarb (which is still a select veggie, but considerably higher net carb than the veggies I was eating before). Everyone has different carb sensitivities and I believe I'm pretty sensitive to them. My question is, has anyone else had issues with slow downs in weight loss because they were possibly consuming too many net carbs? I'm going to adjust my foods to eat what I was eating originally (lots of cauli and broc, lower net carb packets) to see if that makes any difference. Don't get me wrong, my weight is going down and I'm extremely happy for that! I'm just trying to figure out why the losses have slowed so much lately! It may just be that there's less weight to lose, I know that's typical on any weight loss plan.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #73  
In it for the long haul!

S/C/G: 201/162/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
February 10, 2015 - Tuesday Reality Check

If you think, “It’s not fair that I have to work so hard at losing weight,” remind yourself that while it is unfair that some people have to work at this while others don't, the reality is that everyone has unfairnesses in their lives, and this is one of yours. But at least this is one you can do something about!
Thank you for the inspiration, lisa32989! Good words to live by and if I am real with myself, very few people can eat themselves silly and still stay skinny --even my two skinny, mini sister-in-laws make conscious food decisions all day, everyday. They are an inspiration as well. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #74  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Someone posted this quote last summer.... I think it was Ruth Ann or Catlady.... It's a good mantra for keeping on keepin' on program

I copied it into the header of the word doc I use to record my food diary....

"Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out."
Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 202/168/160

Height: 5'8"

Glad to see the NSV's and losses this week. Frawniemae glad you are better. I have had a couple of days where I felt really agitated for no reason. I had a hysterectomy last year and feel that my body is still trying to adjust to things physically and emotionally.
Lisa32989 really liked the quote. Reminds me of something I read that said everyone is fighting some sort of battle. I totally agree.
Kimo88, I tracked my food on a site that shows breakdown for calories, carbs, fat, protein and fiber. My net carbs were around 44. My coach told me I should be around 28. My calories are usually between 850 and 950. I am trying to figure out how to reduce my carbs. I have been totally OP and have seen weight losses each week.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Closed Thread