Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #286  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

hysteria, OK, I'm getting 60 more calories of oil per day. If I didn't use the whole 2tsp of olive oil on my chicken or egg day, I'd run a lot closer to where you are. Thanks for sharing what you log! I at least feel like I'm in the ballpark.

And I agree, I hate that they give equal weight to "community" additions as they do to the canonical food database. :/ It would be nice, at a minimum, if there were an easy way to mark "No, this is wrong, don't show me again, and maybe don't show anybody, ugh."

It doesn't yell at me for getting under 1000 calories because I never mark any day "complete."

~~~

ANYWAY. Sorry, ahead of time for how long and freaked-out this next bit sounds...

I talked to my husband last night. We're both looking for jobs (he's employed, but on the other side of the country; I am not, currently, and it was definitely not the plan for me to remain unemployed for as long as I have been... or at all, seeing as how I moved for the job that didn't work out, and now we're stretched too thin, living in two places on one job). So, to save money I'm going off official IP. (This was my idea; I offered it up, and he agreed, provided I still think I can do it -- he's not pushing me to diet; he's pushing me to succeed at a goal I set for myself. Have I mentioned how much I love my husband?)

So, I'll pick up a $20 scale, so I can monitor my progress, and I'll log everything using MFP (so I'm really glad I started doing that when I did!). I have a good list of alternates that I think I would enjoy (actually, some I know I would, because I've had them before) and that seem 100% compliant. I'll share my list on the Alternate thread. I know a lot about this program, although I still don't have all of the cuts of meat memorized. I should be totally OK! I told my husband I would be totally OK!

Now, though, in the light of day, I am freaked out, because I failed on IP once--not trying to go it alone, that time, just ... letting life get in the way, you know? And, yeah, I have a lot of life trying to intrude, but I've interviewed before, I've started a new job before, and dog knows I've moved before. So I'm not worried about that aspect of it. But the failure, last time, arguably started as little cheats (never with carbs, but with cheese, or sausage cooked over the fire--never lying to my coach, but not being as careful as I could), and, yeah, there was a big scary life event in there, but I wonder, if I'd been 100% OP, would the life event have derailed me? I don't know. Either way, it ended with my canceling an appointment and never going back. And here I am, about to repeat that part of the story -- give or take the "never going back."

I guess I wonder if I can stay honest without the accountability, if that little extra bit of "hey, someone's going to examine my food diary" is keeping me as good as I've been and if that will chip away over time, as I do this by myself. Then again, I know I could lie on the food diary, and I don't, so maybe that's an unnecessary concern. I know I need the veggies to stay healthy; I know I need (at least some of) the oil to keep my gallbladder intact; I know I need the vitamins and enough protein. Why would I cheat?

I know I'm losing access to some expertise. I've read all of the stuff that clinics give out to their patients AND a bunch of stuff written just for coaches. (You wouldn't believe how much you can find if you're clever at Google.) But my coach has enough experience helping people do IP that her intuition for what needs to change when things derail must be better than mine. And since I am exercising (look, a 2-mile walk per day, or Leslie Sansone or Zumba warmups: that's a lot of calories when you weigh ~300 pounds), I worry about getting the balance right. And I'm not willing to give up on the exercise, especially when I'm moving somewhere more walkable than where I live now; I'm doing this to get my freedom back, and part of that freedom is really long walks.

I'm also losing the tenuous link to the clinic's doctor (who may or may not keep an eye on all of us? I don't think he does, but, right now, I know if my coach had a question about what was going on with me, she could ask him). I don't have my own doctor, right now, being between places like I am, so that's a little scary.

Honestly, though, as much as I hate weighing in and being measured and sitting there while someone examines my food diary, I think I'm afraid to lose that.

When I'm employed (please, cross your fingers and toes that that's soon?), if I can find a clinic that's either close enough to work or open after work hours, I'll start going back to "real IP," probably... especially if I start going off the rails on my own. If nothing else, I think it would be nice to have guidance for phases 2 & 3, which I've never done before. (I've read all about them, and there's this great forum here, so if I had to, I could do them alone.) And, I mean, it's possible that I can keep my coach while doing 90% alternatives--maybe just do the supplements (and orange wafers, mmm) IP-official? I'll certainly leave that open as a possibility, in case she's OK with that. But I don't expect her to be, and I don't blame her if she isn't. (I'll also offer to work on their website in exchange for food. Worth a try, right? )

Last edited by the_magpie; 03-25-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #287  
Creating my future today

S/C/G: 183/179/135

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm doing this 'independent and alternate' and I actually prefer it that way.

When you 'failed' last time were you under supervision of a coach? Coaches aren't really a guarantee of success IMO. To me they were more of a cheerleader (which I actually think this board does a terrific job of doing). When I have a moment of weakness I check in here and read the inspirational stories and it keeps me on track. Can't get that in once-a-week visit to the coach .

If you really need the weekly review can you substitute a 'free' check-in at Weight Watchers?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #288  

S/C/G: 193/161/150

Height: 5'5"

6th weigh in today and I haven't lost this week. I stayed OP and didn't cheat. My coach feels that buffalo 2x this week might be the reason. I expected this could happen some weeks so I'm not upset. At least I'm not gaining.

Back the the MFP question, I usual eat 850-950 cals daily. I have a question regarding the carbs/sugar. How much do you normally eat? Mine falls anywhere from 16-25 in the sugar category.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #289  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigridia View Post
I'm doing this 'independent and alternate' and I actually prefer it that way.

When you 'failed' last time were you under supervision of a coach? Coaches aren't really a guarantee of success IMO. To me they were more of a cheerleader (which I actually think this board does a terrific job of doing). When I have a moment of weakness I check in here and read the inspirational stories and it keeps me on track. Can't get that in once-a-week visit to the coach .

If you really need the weekly review can you substitute a 'free' check-in at Weight Watchers?
Magpie - that is tough. I wish you the best on the job situation! I hear you on the fear of failure - I went into this prepared to pay for the food & coaching, but it didn't work out. I've failed many times on my own, but thanks in part to this board, I feel like making it to the end IS possible. We can come here for advice, great recipes, and encouragement. This is the first time I've made it through an illness while losing weight and not turning to carbs! You've got this!

Btw - I generally have my other bit of oil allowance with dinner - either on my protein or mixed with veggies - in the menu I posted I neglected to account for the evoo I sprayed on the rutabaga (???) - I think 3 sprays is +12 calories...but with my cauli-rice dishes, the oil is in the recipe I create

Quote:
Back the the MFP question, I usual eat 850-950 cals daily. I have a question regarding the carbs/sugar. How much do you normally eat? Mine falls anywhere from 16-25 in the sugar category.
KDL - over 7 days, minus dietary fiber (but not sugar alcohols) I am averaging 23g carbs per day and 13g sugars
Old 03-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #290  

S/C/G: 193/161/150

Height: 5'5"

hysteria- could you tell me what an average day looks like for you?
I don't know how my sugar is so high staying op.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #291  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdramalover View Post
hysteria- could you tell me what an average day looks like for you?
I don't know how my sugar is so high staying op.
Is it sugar or sugar alcohols? MFP does not counts sugar alcohols - like the quest bar I had Monday night it did not record the ethrytol (sp?) which was 5 grams...so if you add that my daily sugar grams goes from 13 to 18. Certainly not trying to misrepresent - full disclosure b/c lots of people are sensitive to sugar alcohols.

Normal day

B = 2 hard boiled eggs or protein shake

L = lettuce , peppers, mushrooms, jicama, 3/4 oz grilled protein, 1t evoo

D = 4/5 oz protein, 2c veggies, evoo or coconut oil

S = depends - some days I do lower cal (700 - 800) and skip , RTD, maybe twice per week a quest bar (have to watch to see if they effect losses), protein muffins, or if I have enough left in veggies I'll have jicama / cucumbers

ETA:
KDL -Sorry if this sounds preachy...I won't downplay my success b/c as of now, I have done well on IP but as Charles Barkley said, I am not a role model lol
I agree with the poster on the main threads about carbs - I am just doing this the way I feel is best for me. Skipping the snack isn't OP, at all. Some days I am hungry, other days not so much and I don't force it as long as I've hit 750 calories - but again, my understanding is as long as you follow protocol, calorie counting isn't necessary.
I don't weigh every-single-thing that goes in my mouth - so for example, I had 2 hard boiled eggs this morning & use "large" eggs from MFP to enter my data - calories / etc maybe lower or higher based on actual weight.
Also (and I think kind of important) I am not going through a clinic or a coach. I went to my coach, got a couple IP products to try & followed up with her twice (via email). I use MFP as a base, which as Liana pointed out, can be misleading (although in fairness to myself, I verify my choices through other means IF the stats look weird / incorrect).
I am just trying to do the best I can, modifying the protocol to avoid soy and too much artificial sweetener (but man that Quest strawberry cheescake was GOOD - which means ONCE a week lol). I am NOT perfect and am far from an expert. There are much more seasoned, wiser people on these boards I don't think I am totally ignorant though either and may speak out from time to time based on MY knowledge / personal experiences / research (ie - lack of sleep effecting weight loss - lots of scientific proof of this...but otoh, it obviously doesn't effect everyone).
At the end of the day, we are all unique individuals who can share what we doing, what we are experiencing, what we are celebrating or lamenting, but our journey's are our own & what works for one certainly won't work for all.

Last edited by hysteria_625; 03-26-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #292  

S/C/G: 187/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Hysteria you really do have a TON of knowledge, and I always appreciate when you post. Though I'm through a clinic and only use IP products, it's certainly good to see that it can be done otherwise. Thank you for your opinions/advice/general posting
Old 03-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #293  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

GREAT NEWS! I have the BEST coach! She's like "Hey, how about if you use the alternative products and still log in MFP and send me your log and your home scale weight every week?" I won't go into the office or buy IP products while my unemployment lingers on (here's hoping THAT isn't for long), but I'll still have someone to keep an eye on me ♥ ♥ ♥

She also said that IP should run 850-1000 calories per day. Also, that the range is 1-2tsp oil; it's fine to only get the 1tsp, or to get 2, but staying in that range is important.

Re: sugar, keeping in mind that MFP doesn't count sugar alcohols and there might be some in IP products(?), my last few days' sugar numbers have looked like this: 16g, 15g, 17g, 17g, 18g. That's using IP products and staying OP, though I think I had an extra hard-boiled egg one day (shouldn't affect sugar) and an extra gelatin another day.

Last edited by the_magpie; 03-26-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #294  

Upload

KDL - I am following the thread on the main board...both posters have good advice.

I've attached my nutrition stats for the last 7 days. Note that my total gross carbs average 40g - its taking out the dietary fiber that brings the average down around 20.

So as an "experiment" using MFP, I entered a 'normal' IP day - using IP products:
B - Cappuccino Drink Mix
L - Quest chips with a salad / 1 cup jicama / 1 C green pepper
S - Quest chocolate brownie (restricted)
D - 8oz lean chicken breast, 2C frozen cauliflower

Calories = 807
Macros = 57 / 26 / 17 (protein, carb, fat)
Fat = 17
Carb = 58
Dietary Fiber = 34 (so NET carb = 24)
Sugar = 14
Protein = 129

I also would note I ran into something interesting with MFP tonight - we had London Broil and I think what I am discovering is that MFP pushes the 'most used' choices to the top (not a proven fact, just an assumption)...well, everyone is more likely to want to choose the one with the least calories, carbs, fat, etc...(ugh!) I have no proof of this...but the 1st "USDA" choice that came up had no other nutritional information but calories, fat, and protein I finally was able to find the right option on MFP, based on the information I went and looked up on another diet tracker on another board I am a member of. I am really glad this was brought to our attention!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by hysteria_625; 03-26-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #295  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_magpie View Post
GREAT NEWS! I have the BEST coach! She's like "Hey, how about if you use the alternative products and still log in MFP and send me your log and your home scale weight every week?" I won't go into the office or buy IP products while my unemployment lingers on (here's hoping THAT isn't for long), but I'll still have someone to keep an eye on me ♥ ♥ ♥

She also said that IP should run 850-1000 calories per day. Also, that the range is 1-2tsp oil; it's fine to only get the 1tsp, or to get 2, but staying in that range is important.

Re: sugar, keeping in mind that MFP doesn't count sugar alcohols and there might be some in IP products(?), my last few days' sugar numbers have looked like this: 16g, 15g, 17g, 17g, 18g. That's using IP products and staying OP, though I think I had an extra hard-boiled egg one day (shouldn't affect sugar) and an extra gelatin another day.
That's awesome magpie! What an awesome coach

Calories sound very reasonable - just curious what a coach would say to a client who may have less hungry days? Maybe once a week around 750 / 800?
Old 03-27-2015, 04:52 AM   #296  
Started 2/12/2015

S/C/G: 190/138/150

Height: 5'7

Little off-topic but does anyone know what qualifications an IP coach has? My coach is SO nice, I like her a lot however whenever I have a question she doesn't seem to know, I end up finding the answer on 3fc and let her know on the next visit. This is my 7th week, I am not confident enough to go off on my own yet. Just curious about coach's credentials.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #297  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bigdogs View Post
Just curious about coach's credentials.
Both my old coach and my reboot coach have no credentials. Maybe aside from what training the got from the IP company. I'd feel a whole heck of a lot better if they had MS, RD, LDN after their names. But then I doubt they'd be working in an IP clinic.... I ask questions via email and in person and then have to wait a few days each time for an answer because coach doesn't know and then they are just I'm thinking asking someone higher up in IP not someone with actual nutrition credentials.

Edited to add: My DIL is a MS, RD, CD (registered dietitian and certified dietitian with a Master's degree in Nutrition). She says these notations are important when seeking nutritional advice, as “Nutritionist” does not require any formal education or testing to use.

Last edited by Great Dane; 03-27-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #298  
Started 2/12/2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
Both my old coach and my reboot coach have no credentials. Maybe aside from what training the got from the IP company. I'd feel a whole heck of a lot better if they had MS, RD, LDN after their names. But then I doubt they'd be working in an IP clinic.... I ask questions via email and in person and then have to wait a few days each time for an answer because coach doesn't know and then they are just I'm thinking asking someone higher up in IP not someone with actual nutrition credentials.

Edited to add: My DIL is a MS, RD, CD (registered dietitian and certified dietitian with a Master's degree in Nutrition). She says these notations are important when seeking nutritional advice, as “Nutritionist” does not require any formal education or testing to use.
I was afraid of that. The discovery of 3fc has been SO important in me being able to do IP. Right now I feel like I get weighed, buy food and leave. Fortunately the clinic is nearby. I still have 20 lbs left to lose so I guess I'll keep going for a while longer.

Re: nutritionist creds, yikes! I just assumed they had masters in nutrition. I Sure appreciate that info.

W1: 7.4. W2: 3.8 W3: 2.8. W4: 2.6 W5: 2.6 W6: 1.6
Old 03-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #299  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bigdogs View Post
I was afraid of that. The discovery of 3fc has been SO important in me being able to do IP. Right now I feel like I get weighed, buy food and leave. Fortunately the clinic is nearby. I still have 20 lbs left to lose so I guess I'll keep going for a while longer.

Re: nutritionist creds, yikes! I just assumed they had masters in nutrition. I Sure appreciate that info.

W1: 7.4. W2: 3.8 W3: 2.8. W4: 2.6 W5: 2.6 W6: 1.6
I really like the coach I met with, but it did seem a little 'scamm-y" to me. $350 upfront & weekly food (minimum $80 a week). She hadn't even done IP - basically a paid cheerleader, selling products.

Now a co-worker went through an IP clinic associated with her cardiologists office - but she paid out the nose for visits ($20 per visit) and food (over $100 for the same products that down in my area would cost $80 / $90).
Old 03-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #300  
Started 2/12/2015

hysteria Beth, that's exactly what I paid up front and what my weekly food costs. I've been reading about alternatives since I started, my first order will hopefully be here tomorrow. Once I feel more confident I'll probably do the rest of my phases on my own.

You had a good weigh in since we 'talked' last!��. That's great, my last one was only 1.6. Since then I've been eating my veggies, meat and restricted spaced out every 2 or 3 hours and the scale shows -.5 everyday for the last 3 days.

Hope you are feeling better...
Closed Thread