Old 01-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200

Height: 5'2

Unhappy sleepy all the time

Hello Dear IP peeps

I am currently on week 2 of IP,so far so good with weight loss (almost ten pounds down ). I have been getting in all my water (anywhere between 64-90 oz a day excluding the multiple herbal teas I have during the day); getting all my veggies and multi vitamin tabs as well . I have not experienced nausea or headache on the diet so far.However i feel sleepy ALL the time. I am yawning all day at work and when i get home and post dinner (around 7:00- 7:30) pretty much useless (tired,sleepy exhaused). I sleep 8 hours (good sound sleep) and currently not particularly stressed out at work/home etc. So wonder what in the diet is causing me to feel so lethargic? I walked the treadmill yesterday for 45 min and did not experience any burst of energy . I did a google search and read something about lack of vitamin B12 that causes lethargy and fatigue in people.Im not sure if that could be it? Have you guys experienced this? Does this go away in a couple of weeks? I thought we are supposed to have loads of energy during ketosis (and maybe I am not in ketosis yet I guess?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of being tired all the time!!!
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:29 AM   #2  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

You're a little early with the exercise in IP. Most of the coaches recommend avoiding cardio until you are very well established in ketosis and have an idea of what your energy level is.

If you've lost 10lbs then you are almost certainly in ketosis - it normally only takes around 3-4 days. It simply drains the glycogen stored in the muscles and the reduced carbs will do that very quickly. Do you have any symptoms of ketosis, like cold hands and feet? Sweet smelling pee? Bad breath or a metallic taste in your mouth?

It could also be what is often referred to as "keto fog" - where you feel weary and slightly unfocused. If it doesn't clear up by the end of the second week I'd take it up with your coach and maybe get an anemia test at the doc's office.

Last edited by Briael; 01-30-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
Hello Dear IP peeps

I am currently on week 2 of IP,so far so good with weight loss (almost ten pounds down ). I have been getting in all my water (anywhere between 64-90 oz a day excluding the multiple herbal teas I have during the day); getting all my veggies and multi vitamin tabs as well . I have not experienced nausea or headache on the diet so far.However i feel sleepy ALL the time. I am yawning all day at work and when i get home and post dinner (around 7:00- 7:30) pretty much useless (tired,sleepy exhaused). I sleep 8 hours (good sound sleep) and currently not particularly stressed out at work/home etc. So wonder what in the diet is causing me to feel so lethargic? I walked the treadmill yesterday for 45 min and did not experience any burst of energy . I did a google search and read something about lack of vitamin B12 that causes lethargy and fatigue in people.Im not sure if that could be it? Have you guys experienced this? Does this go away in a couple of weeks? I thought we are supposed to have loads of energy during ketosis (and maybe I am not in ketosis yet I guess?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of being tired all the time!!!
I would cut the exercise. It is like burning the candle at both ends.
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #4  

Chipper
Congrats on 10 lbs!!!
Unfortunately not everyone gets the energy boost from ketosis. Some people get the lethargy you describe from the huge shift in calories. It happened to me from time-to-time.

As suggested, I'd back off in the exercise until your energy level stabilizes.

Have you been adding an extra packet after exercise? Some people have found they do best if they add one both before and after.

The lethargy could be as simple as a detox symptom. Besides carbs, were you a big caffeine consumer pre-ip?

There are lots of other reasons it could be happening. Definitely keep monitoring it. If you don't get energy back in the next few weeks, consider following up medically. Lack of iron or b12 aren't the only things they'd look for. If there was anything underlying before you started IP, it is possible IP made it more pronounced.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
Hello Dear IP peeps

I have been on IP for a little over 8 months and I am ALWAYS tired too. I have not experienced the energy burst that many IPers have. I am usually ready for bed by 8pm, I don't actually go to sleep until around 9:30pm. I get up at 6:15am. I'm getting over 8 hours of sleep but I'm always running on empty. I am OK with that though, as long as I am losing weight!!
Kellyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

[QUOTE=chipper;5125220]Hello Dear IP peeps

I am currently on week 2 of IP,so far so good with weight loss (almost ten pounds down ). I have been getting in all my water (anywhere between 64-90 oz a day excluding the multiple herbal teas I have during the day); getting all my veggies and multi vitamin tabs as well . I have not experienced nausea or headache on the diet so far.However i feel sleepy ALL the time. I am yawning all day at work and when i get home and post dinner (around 7:00- 7:30) pretty much useless (tired,sleepy exhaused). QUOTE]

I have had periods especially at the beginning where I was very tired. I think once or twice I went to bed at the same time as the kids (8:00). For me, it wasn't all day and it didn't last past a few days.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote