Old 01-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #1  

Default Best Whole Grain Bread Brands

I'm in Phase 3 of the IP diet and am looking for the most nutritious whole grain bread brands in the Woodinville, WA area (Safeway, PCC, Whole Foods, Albertsons, Top Foods, Fred Meyer). It can be sliced bread, bagels, English muffins - I just want to find items that are the most nutritious.
Baxter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #2  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

I've been eating thin sliced Dave's killer bread.
murrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

I've been eating Orowheat Sandwich Thins, Extreme Wellness Whole Wheat Tortillas, and Dave's Killer Bread - 21 Whole Grains. I look for a high fiber count to get the lowest amount of net carbs. That being said, it has to be a whole wheat/whole grain product as opposed to a white enriched product. You may not be able to get all of these brands where you are, but if you look at the labels while shopping you'll probably be able to find something similar.

murrcat Welcome to Maintenance! Congrats! Come join us over on the Maintainers thread!
catlady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Disclaimer: I am not doing IP.

I look for items with minimal ingredients on the list. There is a bakery local to me that uses just basic ingredients like whole wheat flour, milk, honey, and so on, and I like getting all my bread and cookies there now because I don't have to read through a list of chemicals. I can glance at the list and know what's in it.

I would think Whole Foods would be your best bet if you're looking for the same kind of thing, but you might have some luck at Fred Meyer (if my perception of Fred Meyer is any good—but it might not be, since I'm from Canada and I only remember Fred Meyer as "that place that carries the big avocados I can't find anywhere else."
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/132/140

Height: 5'6.5"

Default The Baker bread

The Baker Wheat & Flax and Wheat & Bran are my suggestions. They are both whole grain and do not have added sugar of any type, do not contain cellulose (wood), and do not have preservatives or chemical ingredients. One slice = 11 grams of net carbs and no sugar. I found The Baker at Whole Foods.

I avoid Oroweat due to the cellulose, numerous types of added sugar, and the chemicals that I see in the long ingredient lists of the products I have checked. Like faiora, I look for a short ingredient list. Dave's Killer Bread is higher in carbs, and I prefer to avoid the several types of added sugar. Four grams of sugar = one teaspoon.

For English muffins, the Whole Foods brand whole wheat muffins (without honey) are good.

Last edited by psjones; 01-29-2015 at 07:55 PM.
psjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

why not something like paleo bread at www.paleobread.com and avoid the possibility of the multitude of things that are associated with grain and corn consumption? Although much reduced even ancient grains can cause issues.
As a family who even my wife who didn't have a metabolic issue received unmeasurable benefit from removing all grains. grains aren't even a conversation.

Last edited by wylothar; 01-29-2015 at 10:12 PM.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #7  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
why not something like paleo bread at www.paleobread.com and avoid the possibility of the multitude of things that are associated with grain and corn consumption? Although much reduced even ancient grains can cause issues.
As a family who even my wife who didn't have a metabolic issue received unmeasurable benefit from removing all grains. grains aren't even a conversation.
Thanks for sharing the link for this -- as I read thru this thread I was wondering about gluten free bread options.... so, how does the paleo bread taste?
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2

Silver Hills Little Big Bread

2 Slices
Calories: 110
Carbohydrates: 19g
Fiber: 5g
Fat: 1g
Protein: 7g

Our non-GMO vegan ingredients:

organic whole sprouted wheat, organic whole sprouted barley, water, vital wheat gluten, organic cane sugar, cultured wheat flour (wheat flour, bacterial culture), yeast, sea salt, organic sunflower oil (used only on the equipment not as an ingredient).
stephascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

I haven't tried the commercial gluten free breads. Beyond eating at restaurant I haven't had bread in years. More like a decade and my wife last year or so. My wife and I both get destroyed when we do eat the breads now.
We are grain free unless dining out, at home that is beyond gluten free. alternative flours are used.
My wife makes a grain free cornbread and is very good and the texture is identical.
She also has a snickerdoodle cookie recipe that makes fantastic cookies.
Those little buggers could cause problems they are so good. She even make them little crispy and mix it into coconut milk ice cream she made for a little crunch.
I know a paleo tortilla is out also commercially. I find making knock off foods of the very things that get you in a position doesn't show a change in habits. So I personally have eliminated it all.
All of that stuff is ixneyed for the foreseeable future. I she make any it has to be while at work.

Last edited by wylothar; 01-29-2015 at 11:21 PM.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/138 - 2012; Reboot 175/140

Height: 5"4

Loved Ezequiel bread during Phase 3 and beyond. They have them in wrap, sliced and english muffin form.

Also Flatout bread wraps - 9 g of protein, 90 calories, they have different flavors. Delicious. I make DH lunch with these and spread hummus and add turkey and cheese, spinach, etc... Very tasty.
momat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Can I piggy back on this and ask what lower net carb breads you've found that you think taste good? I haven't tried any of the low carb (high fiber) breads recently because I've been avoiding them altogether but when I did Atkins years ago I hated the taste of the brands available then...I hope they've gotten better tasting. (I was the same way with the no fat stuff before that. I thought it tasted so bad that I would rather avoid it altogether or just eat the whole fat versions or make my own when possible)
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #12  

For maintainers that are looking at this thread, has anyone tried the "Damascus Bread" brand? I saw it at my local Whole Foods and it looked good and the net carbs looked great but I have no idea how it tastes.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
For maintainers that are looking at this thread, has anyone tried the "Damascus Bread" brand? I saw it at my local Whole Foods and it looked good and the net carbs looked great but I have no idea how it tastes.
Sorry, I think it was Damascus Bakery (out of Brooklyn NY)
Old 02-02-2015, 07:02 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

I'll have one slice of Dempsters Boost my protein bread. I slice 100 cal, 5.5 protein, 16 carb, 3 fiber, 2.5 sugar. Taste good. There is soy in it
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote