Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #1  

Arrow IP Community Daily Chat - Weekend Edition

IP Community Daily Chat

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

Recipes Here
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 -current thread open for posting
Recipe thread #3
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
Fun with Veggie Purees!
Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2

For those looking for alternative products
Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
Old 01-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #2  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning IPeeps!

Another OP day is scheduled for today..

"shine your light on the world today"
Old 01-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #3  
100% Committed

S/C/G: 205/173/110

Height: 5.0 feet

Default black screen

Today I am using my phone because my computer died.Not fun Other than that, I am OP as well. Despite my screenson blackness, I will do my best to be bright and shiny today, Cadu:-)

Last edited by SweetRelease713; 01-03-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #4  

Hi everyone!

Let's share how we plan. The most success on any diet comes from the advance planning/prep. When we have easy OP snacks to grab & when we know the day's plan exactly, there is no room for error.

I prep many veggies when I bring them home so that they're good-to-go.

We make many crockpot meals and most of what we cook is designed for more than one meal. I don't consider any of it "leftovers". I consider it pre-prepared meals (especially since we don't buy those items in the store).

I've never understood people who say they don't eat leftovers, yet they eat store-purchased canned food or pre-prepared frozen meals. SAME THING! (but mine have fewer additives).

I usually buy romaine lettuce. I wash it and wrap it in towels to dry. The lettuce IN the towel goes into a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Then it is all clean and ready-to-go. I usually have hard boiled eggs in my fridge, as well.

On the weekends, I make a big pan of stir-fried veggies (bok choy, celery, mushroom, bell peppers), which can be stand-alone or tossed into a chicken broth (for one of those hungry days).

I made a GIANT pot of beanless chili (check low carb sites for recipes) before Christmas. It is frozen into smaller portions for use this winter.

And, I usually plan tomorrow's dinner while I'm cleaning up the day's dinner dishes. What is in the refrigerator? What do I need to thaw or buy? What prep will be necessary. If I go into the next day with a plan, it makes everything so much easier!

When I first started, I wrote the whole day plan, including packets.
Now I usually just make a mental note. My weekday breakfasts are the same every day (love my smoothies). Lunch doesn't vary that much. I've found it very easy to take everything ready-to-eat (I use a thermos for soups & pre-shake any drinks then transport them in a smaller bottle). I usually take some romaine leaves to munch and a naturally-fermented homemade pickle or two. Sometimes I take a veggie omelet (if I know I'll be near a microwave). Since I travel most days, I also frequently take a thermos of herbal tea. I have a hot pot at my desk, but I'm rarely there!

How do you plan ahead?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #5  
Mistress of my destiny

S/C/G: 234.6/166.2/154

Height: 5'6"

Wow, Lisa! You are a great planner. I'm not that good (but it could be a great New Year's resolution!). I tend to have the same breakfast most days (tea and a rtd choc shake), a big salad with lettuce and fresh veg for lunch with an IP fruit drink for lunch. Dinner is a crap shoot. Whatever I defrosted before work. My late night snack is either a bar or a pudding. Weekends I try new IP packets and recipes. I've doctored the chili, made muffins from the oatmeal and pancake mixes, tried (and failed) to make the soups work, experiment with different veggies. I find it easier to stay OP when I limit my choices. Food as fuel instead of food as a reward or a social event. I know this won't work long term because life gets in the way, but those choices are 40 lbs away.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

Hi everyone,

I used to make zucchini pancakes and zucchini muffins when I did IP last year. Those pancakes and muffins were a lifesaver!

I've recently learned that I have a *wheat* allergy (not gluten). Which leads me to my questions:

1. Do you know if the IP crispy cereal packets are wheat/gluten free? (the two are often lumped together)

2. Has anyone had success making muffins or "pancakes" without the crispy cereal? Unfortunately it is the binding ingredient.

Here is the recipe I use for the muffins (1/2 recipe = 1 packet and 1 C veg):
1 packet Crispy Cereal
1 Chocolate Pudding Mix (or other pudding mixes)
2 Large egg whites
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 C shredded zucchini
1 Tsp WF Chocolate Syrup (optional)
Old 01-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

When we were on South Beach a few years ago, we got in the habit of making a weekly meal plan at the same time as the grocery store list. So in addition to the list of groceries for the week, I make a separate sheet listing each day of the week, notes about any evening meetings or activities, and what we're going to eat for dinner. 99% of the time we follow it (some nights you just don't want to cook...)

We prep salad veggies on the weekend so they are ready for the week. Typically we put things in their own bag or container rather than mixing it - seems to last longer.

I don't typically plan out my IP foods by day, although if I think about it and want, for example, a "flatbread" for tomorrow's lunch, I'll bake it the night before.

Workday lunches are usually a big salad, so I try to get that pulled together the night before. Makes for a quick pack in the mornings.

We do a crockpot meal at least once a week. We also usually get big enough packages of chicken, port, etc. to make leftovers - right now that's hubby's work day lunches. Sometimes it's a dinner for me if we plan a meal for my family that is off-plan.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berteau View Post
Hi everyone,

I used to make zucchini pancakes and zucchini muffins when I did IP last year. Those pancakes and muffins were a lifesaver!

I've recently learned that I have a *wheat* allergy (not gluten). Which leads me to my questions:

1. Do you know if the IP crispy cereal packets are wheat/gluten free? (the two are often lumped together)

2. Has anyone had success making muffins or "pancakes" without the crispy cereal? Unfortunately it is the binding ingredient.

1 packet Crispy Cereal
2 Large egg whites
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 C shredded zucchini
I found the answer by Googling. They are NOT gluten-free (barley), however they are wheat-free.

I have also posted a muffin/pancake/cookie recipe in the recipe thread that doesn't use the crispy cereal, as I avoid both gluten and soy protein (hence, no crispy cereal). I cook my shredded zucchini in advance, it doesn't seem to cook enough for my taste if I use it raw (plus, it is harder to control for the moisture it produces).
Old 01-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 194/141/125

Height: 5'

I buy my veggies about twice a week. On Sunday and Thursday evenings I chop and measure 2 C servings before putting in baggies. Then I just take out my pre-measured bags and do whatever I need to do.

Have also resorted to buying some of the already chopped veggies for times when I'm in a hurry...busy days. The cabbage slaw is great with a WF dressing on rushed days.

32oz Rubbermaid water bottles keep me on track with water intake. One stays at school....one for home and the road. Same with shaker bottles. Already had one and then received one with my first IP bag of product. One for school and one for home. That way I don't have to drag a bunch of stuff with me.

Product......every Sunday I divide into 3 packets a day and put into baggies. Then into the cupboard. At night I put the baggy for the next day in my purse. Ready to go in the morning!

Read menus online and know what you can order. Lucky enough to be not that far from the Flagship Whole Foods in Austin. They have a great stir-fry bar where you pick your fresh veggies and load them into a bowl, hand it to the guy to stir-fry (they don't use oil at this station), and choose your protein....chicken, bison, salmon, pork, or beef. I go sauce-less and add Aminos or Soy and hot sauce. They have a JILLION hot sauces sitting out. This IS Austin, after all. Really delicious! Sure do miss my Prosecco, though!
Old 01-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #10  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Hi everyone,

1 packet Crispy Cereal
2 Large egg whites
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 C shredded zucchini
I make the same basic recipe but I use Proti Thin Maple Oatmeal instead of the Crispy Cereal - you can buy it in a bulk quantity (large canister that has about 18 servings), and it's much less expensive than the IP oatmeal. (BTW, when I began IP last summer the IP oatmeal was restricted - new formulation is not restricted - neither is Proti Thin). However these are not gluten free... but go to Nashua Nutrition and do an advanced search for 'all words' looking for gluten free cereal and you will find a bunch of alternatives. Run those thru the blender to make them into a 'flour' substitute. fyi - here is one of my variations on the muffin recipe:

1 serving Proti Thin Oatmeal
1 IP Vanilla Pudding Mix or Wildberry Yogurt Drink mix (yummy aroma & taste)
2 egg whites (sometimes a whole egg and 1 egg white)
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 C shredded zucchini or shredded cauliflower (cauli rice)
1/4 C water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

I bake these for close to 30 minutes, watching them get brown - this minimizes the custardy interior.

I see that Lisa mentioned the recipe (with photo as I recall) that she has posted in the recipes - it's a great recipe that makes up 4 servings of muffins. I use that recipe quite often too - make it on Sunday and have one serving for breakfast, and then had 3 servings at the ready to carry to work for lunch (to have with salad and veggies). I use that recipe but often substitute with my oatmeal (2 servings) and 2 pudding packets or I use the oatmeal and wildberry yogurt packets.

Last edited by oneuh2; 01-03-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/141/125

Height: 5'

I'm also participating in the 25 by Spring challenge. My weigh-in day is Thursday. Will wait until then to see the scales. Been averaging 3 pounds a week. Hope it doesn't slow down!
Old 01-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #12  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Morning All.

We tend to eat a version of the same meals each week, with the variation coming from which veggies are in season (or cheapest) that particular week.

All but broccoli are fresh. When I buy meat I trim all the fat off it and portion it before freezing (which saves a lot of time in defrosting AND evening prep). Also use a slow cooker at least three nights a week. Each morning when I get back from our/my (I often end up going alone) walk I will pull the meat out of the fridge and decide what the next day's food will be.

Much of diet success, for me, is in planning what meals to have and shopping for ONLY those items.

Good topic, Lisa, thanks for bringing it up. Hopefully it'll spur us into thinking more about how we prepare to stay OP.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #13  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:

I make pancakes from the vanilla drink packet. Just add a very little water, a half tsp of baking powder and an egg white and whisk strongly until it has the consistency of pancake batter. Make sure your pan is SUPER hot, lightly spritzed with PAM (or alternative) or it will stick so badly you'll wish hadn't bothered.

Comes up a little brown around the edges but it tastes wonderful.

The only thing I ever used the crispy cereal for was making cookies (mixed with the vanilla drink packet, again). They come up crunchy on the base and fluffy on the top.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #14  

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Here's the link to the muffin/pancake recipe I use (and now also peanut butter cookies with Quest Peanut Butter whey protein).

I don't use crispy cereal due to the soy.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4815317-post89.html
Old 01-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #15  

I'm new to 3FC. I started IP 11-22-14. Down 17# as of today. I enjoy reading all the posts. Girls at work found out at week 4. Most of them are pretty supportive. Glad I found this site. It's very motivating!!!!
Closed Thread