Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 138/138/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandnsea View Post
Like you, I plan to start next week. I've heard such great things about the program and have sent in my health profile. I still think the cost seems high...does it go down over time or is it always $90/week?
It goes down after you get into Phase 2 when you're incorporating more of your own food. Then again in Phase 3. Phase 1 is the most expensive, naturally, but you're also saving money by not buying the food you'd normally be eating - the food that caused the problem.

Last edited by SlimmerBySummer; 12-29-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmc View Post
Hi! I started the diet on the 26th of December. I am doing an alternative to the ideal protein (meaning I am not using a coach or their food). I am wondering when I am choosing my protein foods what should I look for with regard to fat? I found some smoked baby clams it is 150 calories, 10g of fat, Carbs are <1g and protein is 16g. Is this a good alternative protein or would it have too high of a fat content?
Have you checked out the Alternative product thread?

Those not paying a coach need to dedicate some time for research instead.

The clams you found are too high in fat. (needs to be <30%)
Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 311/311/152

Height: 5'7

So glad to have this thread. I am starting IP on Jan 1. I'm so excited! I can't wait!
I actually saw my coach for my initial meeting last Saturday on Dec 27. Got all my stuff, my shaker cup, my journal, lovely green bag, ...and,, most importantly - the yummy FOOD !!
I weigh 311lbs. My goal weight is 165 lbs even though my weight guide says 152. But, that's a long way off yet so there's plenty of time to adjust.
My first mini-goal is to just get under 300lbs.
I planned to be off for a 4-day weekend when I start so I can reorganize my kitchen. My daughter is coming over tonight to pack up all the food in my kitchen to take to her house. I won't have anything in my house except what I am suppose to have. Fortunately, I live by myself.
Plus, I wanted to take a few days off in the beginning to give my body a chance to adjust. I keep reading that a couple of things that I might experience the first 3-5 days are headaches and tiredness.

I will also be watching my blood levels, so I am getting labs drawn on Jan 1. I want to see the change in my blood chemistries as I progress. Plus, it's the best way to keep track of my potassium and sodium levels with all that water we're suppose to drink. How fun !!

Hope everyone is well and eager to get started!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #34  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosey61158 View Post
So glad to have this thread. I am starting IP on Jan 1. I'm so excited! I can't wait!
I actually saw my coach for my initial meeting last Saturday on Dec 27. Got all my stuff, my shaker cup, my journal, lovely green bag, ...and,, most importantly - the yummy FOOD !!
I weigh 311lbs. My goal weight is 165 lbs even though my weight guide says 152. But, that's a long way off yet so there's plenty of time to adjust.
My first mini-goal is to just get under 300lbs.
I planned to be off for a 4-day weekend when I start so I can reorganize my kitchen. My daughter is coming over tonight to pack up all the food in my kitchen to take to her house. I won't have anything in my house except what I am suppose to have. Fortunately, I live by myself.
Plus, I wanted to take a few days off in the beginning to give my body a chance to adjust. I keep reading that a couple of things that I might experience the first 3-5 days are headaches and tiredness.

I will also be watching my blood levels, so I am getting labs drawn on Jan 1. I want to see the change in my blood chemistries as I progress. Plus, it's the best way to keep track of my potassium and sodium levels with all that water we're suppose to drink. How fun !!

Hope everyone is well and eager to get started!
You will not regret your decision to start IP! It sounds like you are very prepared and ready to see the changes. For me the headache starts day 3 and lasts for a day or 2. Drink lots of water and herbal tea! It is a life saver. Also, remember your salt. Lick it off your hand if the headache is really bad. After day 4, it will be SO much easier. Check back on the message boards for positive thoughts! I am back on the program after a couple of years. I lost 60 pounds the first go around and now I am back after regaining some and not rebooting like I should have this fall. I am on day 5 (I think) and feel great! Headache is gone and I have energy.

Last edited by Hgamroth; 12-30-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 225.6/224.2/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Second day

So I started yesterday, but I am doing the Alternative Plan for Diabetics, so I had two items that are not on the regular IP protocol and still lost .8 of a lb. from yesterday to today.
Today I've had hot tea and a handful of Apple Cinnamon Puffs (I spread the bag out over several days) and an Omelette with sauteed kale for breakfast. I've just had the Chocolate Pancakes for lunch with the IP syrup which doesn't taste diet at all. Honestly, as a diabetic, I haven't had pancakes and syrup in 13 years. I'm eating more fun stuff ON this program than off. I feel like I've tumbled into OZ.
My blood sugars have been very high this past month and I'm going to see how much JUST the diet affects the lowering of those this week. If I haven't had significant lowering just from the diet, I'll get back on the treadmill every night before bed.
SO curious to see how this is all going to work.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #36  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esammy12 View Post
So I started yesterday, but I am doing the Alternative Plan for Diabetics, so I had two items that are not on the regular IP protocol and still lost .8 of a lb. from yesterday to today.
Today I've had hot tea and a handful of Apple Cinnamon Puffs (I spread the bag out over several days) and an Omelette with sauteed kale for breakfast. I've just had the Chocolate Pancakes for lunch with the IP syrup which doesn't taste diet at all. Honestly, as a diabetic, I haven't had pancakes and syrup in 13 years. I'm eating more fun stuff ON this program than off. I feel like I've tumbled into OZ.
My blood sugars have been very high this past month and I'm going to see how much JUST the diet affects the lowering of those this week. If I haven't had significant lowering just from the diet, I'll get back on the treadmill every night before bed.
SO curious to see how this is all going to work.
Just curious why you are spreading the puffs out over several days? You should be having 3 packets every day, even on the protocol for diabetics. Two unrestricted and one restricted
Old 12-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 243/150

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Good luck with your sugar numbers...today was day 1 for me and I am so full...breakfast was oatmeal lunch was veggies and a cappuccino and supper was crack slaw.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #38  

im jumping back on the IP wagon on 1/5/15....nervous but excited!!

any suggested vegetable recipes to avoid repetition?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #39  
Restart IP 1/1/15

S/C/G: 265.5/248/150

Height: 5'3"

I will be starting on Jan 1st and just had my first appointment last night. I did IP 2 years ago and unfortunatly gained it all back. I have committed myself to staying 100% on plan and getting my weight and life back in order.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:28 AM   #40  

I'm actually allowed 4 packets a day this first week, and until I get under 200 lbs. with one restricted a day. I only have a handful of puffs because that's all I want to go with my tea. The whole bag is too much.
When I did this diet 4 years ago, it was a little different. Things that used to be restricted (oatmeal, crisps, pancakes) aren't any more, which is going to make it much easier.

I didn't do well in ketosis last time. I never had any energy, not one day of the 10 weeks. I was always light headed, I had to leave work on a few occasions and lost out on some jobs because I was just too spacey, dull-eyed and listless. I slept for a solid two hours every afternoon. My coach at the time was admonishing me because she was on it and felt GREAT and was running two miles a day for the first time in her life. I felt angry with her because she wasn't helping me. And I didn't lose a ton of weight, less than a pound a week - which she also yelled at me about.
Not only could I not exercise, I could barely walk around the block when I normally do 3-5 miles on my treadmill every day. I begged her to let me do the Diabetic Plan (I am a diabetic) and she flatly refused. This new coach is encouraging me to do things a little differently so that I can at least function.
This is only day two, I don't know what to expect this time. I've avoided doing this diet again this past 4 years because I felt so awful while on it, but this coach was recommended to me. She works out of a Thyroid Doctor's (I'm hypo) office and she's given me a lot of hope that with a few modifications, I'll be able to stay on it.
Fingers are crossed.

Long winded answer to your question.

Last edited by esammy12; 12-31-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:23 AM   #41  

krisstiekat, let us know how your blood sugar numbers change, or what changes you notice in your body.
Today, after my breakfast of tea and omelette, the mutlivitamin and the Omega, I fell asleep. It was a delicious, comfortable sleep (I normally get between 5 and 6 hours a night - don't sleep well, have heart palpitations, nightmares and sweats -- perimenopause) and as I was lying there, my body, my system, felt CALM. Like it hasn't felt in months, and certainly not in the last 6 weeks of holiday sweets. My fasting bg has been very high, higher than it's ever been and I'm hoping for change soon. I'm going to see what JUST the diet does this week before I get back on the hamster-wheel of treadmill to keep it down. I have literally walked tens of thousands of miles on that thing in the last decade. I look forward to the day when I don't HAVE to do that anymore. Please God, I hope this works.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:54 AM   #42  
100% Committed

S/C/G: 205/173/110

Height: 5.0 feet

Default New Year's Social Evnets

So tonight's bridge party will be my first social event since starting the program. I feel pretty solid. This will be my third day on program, and luckily the woman who inspired me to check out Ideal Protein in the first place will be there, so that is a plus. It's a New Year's Potluck. The host will make chicken jalfrezi. I looked up the ingredients, and I should be fine if I have it over cauliflower rice. I am bringing roasted cauliflower and also some grilled chicken with curry seasonings (both recipes I got from the IP site that will hopefully complement the meal). Anyway, I have to get used to handling social events if I'm going to make this a lifestyle deal (I also have events on Friday and Saturday). On Friday and Saturday, I am bringing something I want to get rid of (because I can't eat it) to contribute to the snacks, but then I am just sticking to water or whatever meal I bring for myself and not bothering with the refreshment table. Fingers crossed in hopes that it's easier that way
Old 12-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #43  

You're smart to figure out these social events early on. It sounds like you have a full social calendar and will need to negotiate this terrain often. I just tried the Chicken Noodle Soup and it was not for me, but I do like soup. I think I'll make my own soups and have them with a packet, like the crisps.
We just have to figure out how to do this diet, while eating things that we enjoy, that are on plan.
Not impossible, just takes some creative planning.
Kudos.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #44  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esammy12 View Post
You're smart to figure out these social events early on. It sounds like you have a full social calendar and will need to negotiate this terrain often. I just tried the Chicken Noodle Soup and it was not for me, but I do like soup. I think I'll make my own soups and have them with a packet, like the crisps.
We just have to figure out how to do this diet, while eating things that we enjoy, that are on plan.
Not impossible, just takes some creative planning.
Kudos.
I used to detest the IP soups but once I added some of the veggie purees to them, I loved them! Check out the fun with veggie purees thread. The link is on the daily chat thread.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #45  
maintaining since 9/2013

esammy12, Congrats on deciding to give IP another try. It sounds like your new coach will be a great resource & support. And 3FC too!

Fwiw, my favorite P1 meal has always been Chicken Soup (not the noodle one, the other one). I eat it over 1-2 cups of steamed broccoli and it tastes like rich gravy (probably from the salt content, lol). It's filling, too. You can add a little Tabasco sauce, but it's good just as is. It does have soy, in case that's an issue for you. Your tastes might change too--at first I didn't like Broc Cheese soup, eventually loved it.

I had to avoid the bars because I liked them too much. There was always a huge tug-of-war with will power to manage them. A popular way to eat veggies is to make cauliflower as rice or even made into a pizza crust. It's incredibly versatile.

Wishing everyone great success and some fun along the way!

Last edited by mars735; 12-31-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Closed Thread