Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #316  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Good morning!

Going to have to go back and catch up but wanted to say hi! first.

Life got crazy - ain't that always the way? Some family issues, work issues and dh has not been doing well so everything combined has kept me totally running with very little time to do much besides what needs to be done. Hopefully things will settle down now.

Good news is that I haven't been stress eating or making excuses for not feeding myself right! my weight has been staying in range and to me that is a huge victory!

Hopefully will have time to catch up and stay that way - will someone please tell the universe to cooperate with my plans?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:59 AM   #317  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hi Ruth Ann! When you read through the thread, you will see you have been missed! I hope things settle down for you, and that dh is doing better. I'm in AWE that you are avoiding stress eating and staying within your range.

Well today should be interesting. I'm having Downton Abbey Tea at a tea room. The menu choices all include things like sandwiches, quiche, pastry, cheesy soup. Even the salads sound more like lettuce garnish with glaze or cheese. They do have a gluten free version and I have a feeling I'll be better off with those choices, though I don't have issues with gluten. I just don't much care for bread or cheese since IP. I'll see if I can enjoy the quality time with my friend and not give in to the urge to clean my plate!

Last edited by mars735; 01-31-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #318  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Hi all!

Ruth Ann- so happy to see you. Sorry to hear that you are dealing with stressful stuff, but am so glad that you are maintaining so well!

Mars, I hope that you find some things to eat at the tea. Can not wait to hear about it, because the event sounds fun.

We are expecting another foot of snow here from Sunday to Monday. Not too happy about that prospect, where will it all go?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #319  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

RuthAnn So glad you are OK. You were missed! Hope things calm down for you and hubby gets better.

mars That tea sounds amazing, I adore Downton Abbey!

Slip Oh no! More snow. Hope you are able to get out some. I would be stir crazy with cabin fever at this point.

Having a P1 day today. Had a full fun day yesterday which is something I didn't think that I would ever do. By the end of the day I felt sick to my stomach and very guilty even though it's allowed. The scale didn't change but all that eating of what I consider "bad" things messed with my head. Maybe it's just something I had to do to get it out of my system. Lesson learned, I hope. I donated blood yesterday and had no ill effects and it felt good to do something for others.

Last edited by catlady1981; 01-31-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #320  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Thanks for the welcome back ladies!

Mars, your tea sounds like so much fun - hope you had a great time!

Slipfree - We've not had much snow this year at all but I feel for you. I usually end up housebound when there's snow and after a day or two it gets very annoying.

Catlady - No guilt allowed! You had one day where you over ate so back to normal the next day - other than the feeling yucky from too much food, did you have fun?

I'm trying to get my attitude towards food adjusted and quit thinking of anything as bad (unless it actually tastes bad!). There are things I should limit my quantity of or have only on occasion, but I don't want to be giving foods emotional labels. A new way of thinking to be sure and I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #321  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Hi all!

Mars, I hope that you find some things to eat at the tea. Can not wait to hear about it, because the event sounds fun.

We are expecting another foot of snow here from Sunday to Monday. Not too happy about that prospect, where will it all go?
Slip, Another foot??? I hope you've had a chance to get outside in the meantime. Is there a concern for flooding when it melts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
[B]
mars That tea sounds amazing, I adore Downton Abbey!

Having a P1 day today. Had a full fun day yesterday which is something I didn't think that I would ever do. By the end of the day I felt sick to my stomach and very guilty even though it's allowed. The scale didn't change but all that eating of what I consider "bad" things messed with my head. Maybe it's just something I had to do to get it out of my system. Lesson learned, I hope. I donated blood yesterday and had no ill effects and it felt good to do something for others.
catlady Hope your P1 day went well. It used to be oh so hard for me to get back on it even for a day. Now it's more like a safe haven. It can take some time to feel comfortable with the idea of fun days and what all that means. (Frankly I'm not sure I'm there yet, but I'm more comfortable with the discomfort as I go along, hehheh ) Sounds like you are doing well at figuring out maintenance. Yay for you for donating blood--truly a gift of life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Thanks for the welcome back ladies!

Mars, your tea sounds like so much fun - hope you had a great time!

Catlady - No guilt allowed! You had one day where you over ate so back to normal the next day - other than the feeling yucky from too much food, did you have fun?

I'm trying to get my attitude towards food adjusted and quit thinking of anything as bad (unless it actually tastes bad!). There are things I should limit my quantity of or have only on occasion, but I don't want to be giving foods emotional labels. A new way of thinking to be sure and I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there!
No guilt allowed--that bears repeating, and maybe even tattooing! Thanks Ruth Ann!

On that note, Downton Abbey Tea was a lot of fun! I love the ritual of tea and conversation. My friend called it Disneyland Tea, and it really was like stepping into a Victorian fantasyland. We had a lively conversation about Downton Abbey, covered Forsyte saga too! Foodwise, there was nothing P4-fiendly. Lots of fat, lots of sugar, lots of carb, little protein. All in elegant tea service! I did not stick to my plan. The moment I saw all that prettiness, I felt my resolve go up in smoke. It wasn't that I was hungry for the food but rather hungry for being pampered. The old story....

Strictly speaking, the food was just so-so. There wasn't that much of it, so not too much damage, really, from the menu meal. There was an exquisite little cookie jar on the table & I let myself go there. The funny thing, in hindsight, is that the best-tasting item was the tea--a delicious cranberry orange herbal concoction served in a pretty teapot. Note to self, pause and breathe next time before diving in!

I then visited my mom who has been having health problems. This is very triggering for me, always has been. I ate away my stress and sadness. I woke up this morning feeling a little bit of guilt, some alarm at whether my clothes will fit. So Ruth Ann's words are particularly helpful. Today is Sunday and I'll get to the gym.

One more note in this saga.....After a yr and a half on maintenance, I do not really feel solid about much daily food I need or what is a realistic weight/size for me--too much undereating and then overeating in reaction. I'm going to a nutritionist Wednesday to come up a range of size & daily food intake for my body and lifestyle. May treat myself to a DEXA or Bod Pod scan if it isn't ridiculously expensive. i saw Bod Pod for 65.00. Once I'm confident that my goals are truly realistic, I will work on training my brain, i.e. hunger/satiety cues accordingly.

Have a great Sunday everyone, Superbowl and/or Downton awaits!

Last edited by mars735; 02-01-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #322  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Hi maintainers, I think some of you myfitnesspal to help you in tracking your food. I just signed up for it and had some questions. I signed up using my goal weight and it assigned goals for me in regards to carbs/sugar/protein. Will I need to adjust that per the Ideal Protein guidance? Is there an exact formula for that or do I need to base it on my own height/weight? I started entering some example items to see how it worked (I'm still phase 1 so this is just practice). I was happy to see even some of the alternatives that I plan to continue to use were there. Very convenient! Do you all do this as you go or at the end of the day (journaling on IP hasn't been my strong suit). Is there an app that you put on your phone, or do you do it some other way?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #323  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hi Shasta, I don't follow P4 that closely, but others here do, and they will hopefully add their expertise.

I use MFP as a planning tool. I plug in my day, tweak it to sort of stay within a lunch of 3:1 fat to carb ratio, and dinner of 3:1 carb to fat ratio. But mostly, it keeps me focused on healthy eating--just the acting of using it.

If I eat things beyond what I planned, I usually (but not always) enter them as I'm still trying to figure out what and how much makes me feel satisfied. I don't track fun days, but others do.

I use both the Web based & mobile app. I don't pay too much attention to MFPs goals. I did customize the macros, though, as it has an insidious effect to keep reading that I'm eating too much protein or too little carbs.

You can customize the display to include fiber. It's helpful to have fiber shown right next to carbs so that you can subtract easily for net carbs. When you find foods in the database, some will give net carbs and some will give total. I use those that give total carbs so I don't get confused.

I wasn't a journaler on IP but did use MFP. Overall, it helps program my brain for a day of healthy eating. When I don't track on MFP, I'm also not paying attention to what I eat. Looks like you are closing in on your goal Way to GO!

Last edited by mars735; 02-01-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Good morning,

Mars, your tea sounds wonderful. Last year, (on my birthday ) I went to a tea and ate my IP wafer. I felt proud and bitter,lol! I think it is great that you are going to a nutritionist. As for guilt, there really is no point. Every day is a new day to start afresh. What is a bod pod?

Ruth Ann, I like your philosophy of no "bad" foods. I think there is a difference between acknowledging food triggers and giving them a consistent negative label. Are you excited about the Seahawks? Do you have a cute new jersey?

Andrea, being thoughtful and reflecting about your free day is fine. I have come to the conclusion that the more I hang on to perfect clean eating, the more I end up with a food outburst. Geneen Roth writes books about finding peace with food. As I move through maintenance, I am finding that guilt and regret about food eaten does not serve my journey.

As for the weather here, I do not think flooding will be an issue unless we get a quick warm up.(does not seem likely, it's freezing)

Had my free meal yesterday, Asian food. Did not get on the scale today because I can feel the sodium swell. Lots of water in the plan today.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #325  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Morning,

Glad to see that your back Ruth Ann. I hope that your DH is feeling better. Sounds like you've had a huge week. Great work not stress eating.

Slip - you've've got to be running out of room for all that snow. I hope you're still able to get out. I agree with you about letting go of guilt and regret as it just makes me feel bad. I'm trying to be more conscious of my choices and own what I choose to eat when it's off plan and then get right back on track. This I hope will help me be successful for life.

Eve - those are some long days you're working. Hope next week is a little easier for you. I agree with you about taking the power away from food and thinking that food is food and sometimes it is just fuel.

Andrea - good for you for going right back to your P1 day

Mars - the tea sounds like fun and that's great you enjoyed the company. I'm behind a few seasons on that show. i saw a clip of downtown Abby with George cloney in a scene it was very funny.

I'm still at the bottom of my range which may be a result of all the running. I did 20km yesterday morning in the cold and then spent the rest of the day reading by the gas fire and fell asleep at 9. Friday I went to bed at 8. Still trying to get rid of this cold. Looking forward to another quiet day.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #326  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post
Morning,

Mars - the tea sounds like fun and that's great you enjoyed the company. I'm behind a few seasons on that show. i saw a clip of downtown Abby with George cloney in a scene it was very funny.

I'm still at the bottom of my range which may be a result of all the running. I did 20km yesterday morning in the cold and then spent the rest of the day reading by the gas fire and fell asleep at 9. Friday I went to bed at 8. Still trying to get rid of this cold. Looking forward to another quiet day.
Hi Jenny, It sounds like you are doing just what you need for the cold. Hope it clears up soon. 20 km--WOW!!!!! Are you training for a marathon? It sounds like you are becoming a lean, efficient, fuel-burning machine!

I gotta review some old DA episodes. I don't remember seeing George Clooney. I usually have it on while doing other things, and more than once have dosed off, lol. I like the first 3 episodes better than the more recent ones--plot has meandered a bit too much for me. I love Upstairs Downstairs, very similar to DA but an older weekly series. (I got it from the library).

Well now I am truly inspired to get up and out to the gym.

Last edited by mars735; 02-01-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #327  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Good morning,

Mars, your tea sounds wonderful. Last year, (on my birthday ) I went to a tea and ate my IP wafer. I felt proud and bitter,lol! I think it is great that you are going to a nutritionist. As for guilt, there really is no point. Every day is a new day to start afresh. What is a bod pod?
Proud and bitter about sums it up, Slip! But good for you...in the long run it might be okay to have both kinds of experiences. Sometimes i feel relieved, and other times haunted if I don't indulge, especially the occasions I won't likely repeat like the tea. Thanks for the nutritionist encouraging words. I keep thinking I can figure it out for myself, but so far keep ending up at the same impasse. I think I'll be able to stick to a goal that has some individualized hard data behind it. The nutritionist is a registered dietician who works with diabetics and folks with eating disorders--many of the latter where I live.

The bod pod claims to be the most accurate after water immersion, which is the gold standard still, I believe. Instead of measuring water displacement, which entails being dunked (3 times for accuracy!), it measures air displacement. I don't get how they do that, as air is a compressible gas, while water is NON-compessible. But it has a good rep. Below is some info. I haven't read through it yet...

http://www.nifs.org/fitness-center/f...ssments/bodpod

EDIT
In case anyone is considering investing time/money to test body fat composition, I came across a well-written and thorough article about the pitfalls of each method. In short, all should be taken with a big grain of salt. He recommends tape measure or calipers, possibly water immersion.

http://weightology.net/weightologywe...&searchsubmit=

Last edited by mars735; 02-01-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #328  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

As usual, the collective wisdom here is right on point. Thanks to all. I really need to stop giving food a good/bad rating. I did my P1 day and I'm glad I did. This is an enormous learning process isn't it? I'm off to do the grocery shopping for the week and run some errands. It's been rainy and glum here all weekend so I didn't get any hiking in at all. I finished my book club book, The Kitchen House. I also signed up for a 4 hour hike on the 14h through REI that I am looking forward to.

RuthAnn: It wasn't fun, I was too consumed with guilt. I didn't enjoy it but I couldn't seem to stop myself, so I have some work to do here.

Slip: You're right. Guilt does not serve my journey, I've got a long path ahead and I will make some side trips.

mars: Thanks for the encouraging words. The episodes with George will be when the season starts up again, not sure when that is, but soon.

Jenny: P1 day went ok but I was hungry. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #329  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
As usual, the collective wisdom here is right on point. Thanks to all. I really need to stop giving food a good/bad rating. I did my P1 day and I'm glad I did. This is an enormous learning process isn't it? I'm off to do the grocery shopping for the week and run some errands. It's been rainy and glum here all weekend so I didn't get any hiking in at all. I finished my book club book, The Kitchen House. I also signed up for a 4 hour hike on the 14h through REI that I am looking forward to.
catlady , your initial fun day experience sounds familiar. It's a bit like getting the first dent in a new car, though you've stuck with the program all the way, so actually there is no dent at all.
I was disappointed to see that all my issues around food did not vanish in my 7 months of P1. But, it's a lot more fun to address those issues in a slender body! Your hike sounds wonderful. Did you like The Kitchen House?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #330  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Ruth ann, welcomeback. I hope things have calmed down and DH is better.
Mars, glad you had fun at the downton abbey tea. I am a big fan of the show.
Jenny, hope you are recovering from your cold.
Slip, thank you for your post on the other thread about our process.

I just returned from a weekend at a bnb with DH for our anniverasary. I appreciated eve's words of wisdom about food peace during this trip and attempted to keep them in mind.....we wine tasted, we ate out, the bnb had amazing amazing homemade baked goods at breakfast. So we will see what the scale says tomorrow.

I understand your feelings Catlady.

I'm going to keep trying to get to food peace.
Closed Thread