Old 12-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/186/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Time for Phase 2? WDYT?

I am seriously considering moving to Phase 2 now but am hoping you can give me some advice, especially if IP has caused hair loss for you.

I started IP on June 19. Weight loss has gone well not counting a couple of digestive stalls. I am at the high end of a "healthy weight" range (first time in 30 years... YAY!) now, according to some at least a couple of online weight calculators. Amazingly, that "healthy weight" ranges from 125.3 lbs - 169.3 lbs for me. I am 5'9", over 40, large boned.

I've already lowered my goal twice now. I was tempted to try for 150, but have become alarmed by sudden increased hair loss. This is not noticeable to others yet, thank god, but wow, pretty scary when I wash my hair in the shower. I've just had blood work done and am awaiting results. I am hoping everything is ok and the doctor does not say I need to quit IP altogether. I've come too far!

My questions:
Am I crazy to keep going? Is my body saying STOP? How common is this hair loss? When will it stop and start to grow back?

Will I continue to lose weight in Phase 2?

Looking back, if you have hit Phase 4, what would be your #1 recommendation for me be, to ensure success in maintenance?

Thanks and happy holidays!
bateke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

If you search the forum you will find that the hair loss question comes up a LOT. Because it's VERY common - it's actually a side effect of the rapid fat loss.

In a nutshell, estrogen is stored in your fat cells, so when you lose fat rapidly, you release quite a bit of estrogen into your system. This is why some people notice PMS-like feelings and irregular periods, why birth control medication is ineffective while on Phase 1...and why hair loss occurs. In a nutshell, the excess estrogen causes hair follicles to "hibernate". It is NOT permanent, the hairs begin to come back a few months after you begin maintenance and are no longer losing or in ketosis.

Your blood work will likely come back just fine, if hair loss is the only thing going on that was of concern.

It's pretty common to continue to lose in Phase 2, because you are really only adding about 200 calories to your day. Phase 3 is when many see an uptick in weight on the scale, because you begin eating complex carbs again and replenish your glycogen stores.

The #1 success factor in maintenance comes from tracking your daily food, and being extremely conscious of what you are eating - including limiting yourself to a fun day/fun meal once per week and not stretching it into multiple fun days. If you haven't already, start using a tracking tool like My Fitness Pal to get in the habit of recording everything you eat for the day. Stay active on this forum even in maintenance, so that you can navigate the murky waters of maintenance with support.

Ultimately you are the only one who can decide if you're really ready to phase off, or if you want to push forward. The hair loss is temporary and normal, so consider what your goal weight is and how active you plan to be once you phase off, and determine if it's a realistic weight for you to maintain. This forum is an invaluable resource at EVERY phase, so keep the conversation going here - the collective experience on this board will get you through any bumps in the road
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #3  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

I started IP in February and noticed a lot of hair loss starting in June. I phased off mid October. I would say that amount of hair I have now after showering is normal. Hair doesn't fall out in the shower anymore and probably hasn't for at least a few weeks. My hair loss wasn't noticeable to anyone else as I have a lot of hair so it didn't freak me out too much and is probably why I can't remember exactly when it eased up.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

I have always had a lot of hair loss due to thyroid issues, though a better description would be heavy shedding.

I was thinking of getting a product called pantogar. It is only available in the states through amazon. Some people swear by it for this sub-clinical heavy shedding. Could be worth a try!

No advice on phasing though, as I am still in P1.

Last edited by CO_6; 12-12-2014 at 10:41 AM.
CO_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/186/165

Height: 5'9"

Still waiting for blood results, no news yet.

I have definitely gotten away from writing down what I eat. I've been losing steadily, and I can't remember that last time my coaches asked for my journal. But I recognize that tracking is going to be much more important as my intake increases. I don't know My Fitness Pal, but I used to like Sparkpeople. How does it compare?

Thanks so much for the advice. Weigh-in tomorrow. Wish me luck!
bateke is offline   Reply With Quote