Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

That's funny - my coach told me egg whites are a freebie!
Old 11-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyE View Post
Same thing happened to me as was getting so close to my goal! Looks you are below your goal, are you phasing off yet? Believe me I understand the WIs as you get close to your goal, I had a gain twice! Hang in there, the scale will be back down soon! And I had crackslaw this weekend too and that stuff is addictive! I LOVE IT!
I'm aiming for 136. 150 was my first goal when I had no idea what my goal should be. Once I got to 150 I realized I should go a bit lower to get to an average BMI. I'll see what happens by year end and if I get stuck, I'll start phasing off in January. I think my body will be ready for it after 10 months on P1.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #18  
started IP 6/21/14

S/C/G: SCG: 156/125/125

Height: 5'4"

Congrats everyone on the great WI's, hitting goal and changing phases!

I have a question for the maintainers: What happens if your meal is evenly split on carbs/fat? For example, I was just out running around doing errands/outlet shopping and grabbed a Fuji Apple Chicken Salad at Panera (I haven't eaten there in a long time since they discontinued my fav salad, but they are awesome with allergy sufferers and better than traditional fast food). When I plugged the stats into MyFitnessPal, I got this;

Calories 550
Fat 34
Carbs 35
Fiber 6
Protein 32

I'm guessing in the future this salad will be a no-no, right? I REALLY need to catch up on all the P4 videos - but I'm finding it hard to know what to eat when I'm in the "real world" and things like salad with chicken end up having all this hidden stuff in it. I was going to go back to P1 to lose 2 lbs and get to goal a few weeks ago, but after 2 days my hair loss accelerated to epic levels so I phased off.

Any advice is appreciated! I wasn't sure to ask here or the maintainers thread.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #19  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkitten View Post
Congrats everyone on the great WI's, hitting goal and changing phases!

I have a question for the maintainers: What happens if your meal is evenly split on carbs/fat? For example, I was just out running around doing errands/outlet shopping and grabbed a Fuji Apple Chicken Salad at Panera (I haven't eaten there in a long time since they discontinued my fav salad, but they are awesome with allergy sufferers and better than traditional fast food). When I plugged the stats into MyFitnessPal, I got this;

Calories 550
Fat 34
Carbs 35
Fiber 6
Protein 32

I'm guessing in the future this salad will be a no-no, right? I REALLY need to catch up on all the P4 videos - but I'm finding it hard to know what to eat when I'm in the "real world" and things like salad with chicken end up having all this hidden stuff in it. I was going to go back to P1 to lose 2 lbs and get to goal a few weeks ago, but after 2 days my hair loss accelerated to epic levels so I phased off.

Any advice is appreciated! I wasn't sure to ask here or the maintainers thread.
I had a VERY hard time with fat/carb separation as the start of maintenance this summer. It makes eating out hard because most meals, even ones considered "healthy" have high combos of carb/fats. One easy way to skip the headache, especially at first is to think backwards from a P1 meal. So, if you were eating a P1/P2 meal out (meat plus 2 cups of veggies), you would add extra fat to make it a fat meal (ie: dressing, cheese, nuts, avocados, fatty meats, butter) OR you would add extra grain carbs or starches to make it a carb meal (low-fat croutons, crackers, raisins or other fruits, bake potato, beans...but keeping it lowfat).

At Panera, I LOVE the strawberry/oatmeal breakfast which fits perfectly into the P3 guidelines....but of course breakfast is much easier as the ratios are not so strict.

Quickly looking at their menu, the Chicken Cobb Avocado Salad would make a perfect fat meal (though it's high in fat...you would have to go lower for breakfast that day). The Thai Chicken Salad would be fine if you cut out the cashews as a carb meal. The Chicken Caesar would be ok without the croutons. The Greek Salad just needs more fat added with extra feta or maybe even some pepperoni you bring. Classic Chicken Salad is low enough in fat, you could have with a side of chili (lowfat), small potato, or any other grain or starch. Ok, they have a lot of salads....lol! I hope you get the idea that you can modify your ratios with some simple additions or substituations. The Apple Salad is harder b/c apple chips makes is high in carbs and nuts/cheese makes it high in fat.

Congrats to everyone who is phasing off...come join the maintainers thread...we're all a a work in progress and learning a new way of eating is HARD!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #20  
started IP 6/21/14

evemomma - THANKS! That was really helpful. Panera is always really accommodating with my allergies so it's a great on-the-go option for me.

I feel lost again. Today is my first day of maintenance. But I'm being bad for breakfast and having bars again (P3 brekkie's are yummy, but take a lot of time to make so I promised myself I will reserve Friday morning to get ahead of the game and prepare a bunch for the week). Will all of this stuff eventually become second nature? I read the maintainers threads and I don't know how you guys keep all the ratios straight.

Another question: Should I do a P1 day tomorrow because of my "bad" salad today? I love fruit and nuts on salad, it makes me so sad I won't be able to ever have it again (unless I count it as a cheat - and there's so much yummier things to cheat with, other than salad - like white gluten-free pizza!). I'm going to have a P1 dinner tonight though (chicken sausage w/zoodles) - can't help myself, I haven't sorted out more dinner menus yet, ha!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #21  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_6 View Post
After what I would consider a two month stall, I went ahead and decided to do a re-feed day yesterday. This is a day of high carb intake ("healthy carbs", not junk) in an effort to increase my leptin levels.

I will let you all know how much of a success or a disaster it is when I weigh in next week.
Looking forward to hearing about what happens with this method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi47 View Post

Even though I'm just in P1, it seems that this is the right place to ask a few silly questions:
-- I received a sampling of various IP foods at my initial meeting, including some drinks in paper cartons and some in plastic bottles - I think chocolate came in both containers. Is there any difference between these?
-- I've seen lots of recipes that include egg whites, e.g., for Zucchini Muffins made with oatmeal. I guess you just deduct that egg white from your dinner protein allotment? All OK as long as the totals don't exceed 8 oz of protein by end of day? (which, by the way, has been too much so I've been having about 5 oz -- assume that's OK)
-- I'm feeling great so far (Day 5) but am very nervous about leg cramps (got really bad ones when I tried a juice cleanse in the past). For anyone who has had those on IP, when do they usually set in? I have no idea whether I'm in ketosis or not yet. Should I just double up on potassium as a preventive measure this first week?
Thanks so much for any advice!
In my first 10 days on IP I suffered from terribly achey muscles and woke up with cramping in the calves. I have always been a salt addict and coming down from the high sodium levels was causing me issues. As we are no longer having prepackaged foods (with their excessive levels of sodium and fat) you may be experiencing low sodium levels. Try putting a half tsp on the back of your hand and licking it off (may want to keep a lime and lots of water handy for afterwards though!) and see if that helps. On days when I don't use spices in my cooking, I will make sure to salt my lunch and dinner pretty heavily.

Potassium balances out sodium, and we take it primarily to keep the heart stable. If you are getting cramp increase the sodium but not the potassium (unless you are getting palpitations or racing heart). If you feel any concern about your heart not behaving "normally" (for you) then see a doctor.

On the subject of your 8oz of protein: Take all that you are supposed to, even if you have to split it into two or more meals per day. The point of the protein is to ensure that you don't lose muscle or lean tissue mass while losing weight.

If you are using an online tracker that notes your caloric/carb/fat/protein/sodium/fiber values you will see how much protein you are getting. General rule of thumb is 0.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight. As women, we will not bulk up by having a little more protein (our bodies just aren't designed to do that), but you need to make sure you are getting sufficient protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTx View Post
That's funny - my coach told me egg whites are a freebie!
I was told that one eggwhite is fine, more than that must be accounted for.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #22  
Evemomma

Darth, I think you're ok for tomorrow - especially since you had a bar for breakfast (which means you were probably pretty low fat). I usually still eat one EAS shake daily and often a protein bar (Quest, Premier, Pure) just to keep my protein up. I just don't want to "waste" these foods at breakfast when I CAN have my carb/fats together, lol! Make sure you are getting enough calories. After awhile on P1, it's hard to retrain our brains that we NEED to have an adequate amount of calories. Restricting too much will cause to continue to lower your metabolism and have more problems with regaining!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #23  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
evemomma - THANKS! That was really helpful. Panera is always really accommodating with my allergies so it's a great on-the-go option for me.

I feel lost again. Today is my first day of maintenance. But I'm being bad for breakfast and having bars again (P3 brekkie's are yummy, but take a lot of time to make so I promised myself I will reserve Friday morning to get ahead of the game and prepare a bunch for the week). Will all of this stuff eventually become second nature? I read the maintainers threads and I don't know how you guys keep all the ratios straight.

Another question: Should I do a P1 day tomorrow because of my "bad" salad today? I love fruit and nuts on salad, it makes me so sad I won't be able to ever have it again (unless I count it as a cheat - and there's so much yummier things to cheat with, other than salad - like white gluten-free pizza!). I'm going to have a P1 dinner tonight though (chicken sausage w/zoodles) - can't help myself, I haven't sorted out more dinner menus yet, ha!
Maybe you can step on the scale in the morning and decide what to do based on that? I don't have any P4 experience yet, but I have to imagine everyone has off ratios here and there, and if you adjust for it later in the day you may not have to do full P1 the next day. Not sure though, I'll let someone with more experience chime in.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #24  
Evemomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce View Post
Maybe you can step on the scale in the morning and decide what to do based on that? I don't have any P4 experience yet, but I have to imagine everyone has off ratios here and there, and if you adjust for it later in the day you may not have to do full P1 the next day. Not sure though, I'll let someone with more experience chime in.
I caution to use the scale in any quick reaction. Weighing daily is a great habit to get into....but you have to ride the waves of it. I only make food adjustments if I see a trend of scale movement for several days in a row. Thus far, I've been lucky and only need to adjust my eating in UP calories as my weight has slowly trended lower.

You are right Pish, that it's impossible to be perfect in P4! Little mistakes can be corrected by just staying on track. BIG mistakes (or free days) may mean a new way of thinking....and P1 is a good way to reset!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #25  
started IP 6/21/14

I actually avoid the scale sometimes, even though I'm a daily weigher Like the other night we went out for sushi, and I had mine without rice, totally IP friendly, but even though I had low-sodium GF soy sauce, I KNEW the excess sodium would make me bloat up, so I stayed off the scale to not freak myself out.

Increasing calories is hard. I don't want to do it. I'm maintaining right now eating around 1100-1200 calories a day and MFP says I need to eat 1560 or something - which sounds ridiculously high to me now. I know I NEED to do it. I'm just being stubborn and fearful.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #26  
Evemomma

Quote:
I actually avoid the scale sometimes, even though I'm a daily weigher Like the other night we went out for sushi, and I had mine without rice, totally IP friendly, but even though I had low-sodium GF soy sauce, I KNEW the excess sodium would make me bloat up, so I stayed off the scale to not freak myself out.

Increasing calories is hard. I don't want to do it. I'm maintaining right now eating around 1100-1200 calories a day and MFP says I need to eat 1560 or something - which sounds ridiculously high to me now. I know I NEED to do it. I'm just being stubborn and fearful.
I did a lot of reading up on metabolism and how it's affected by calorie-restrictive diets such as IP. IP works...oh yeah........but it also lowers our metabolism. It's important to up your calories but do so slowly. The more you restrict, the more you will slow yourself down. Try aiming for 1300 this week (not counting free day or P1 day). I started out around 1350-1400 and found I maintained with that - and then WHOOSH I had a weight loss - my metabolism woke up! With steady slow losses, I am upping myself to 1700 this week. Not sure if I can get to 1800 without gaining or not, but I'm going to try!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #27  
Fat melting NINJA:)

S/C/G: 141/130/115

Height: 5.2

I am sorry if this has been asked before!! But it just occurred to me that the IP Choco RTD has 35cal from fat.
total fat is 4g.
total cal is 100.
Does this make it restricted? According to the less than 30% cal from fat rule it shud be? Then y does my "coach" insist it is not I drink it everyday and i just want to be sure!! Thanks!!
Old 11-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria05 View Post
I am sorry if this has been asked before!! But it just occurred to me that the IP Choco RTD has 35cal from fat.
total fat is 4g.
total cal is 100.
Does this make it restricted? According to the less than 30% cal from fat rule it shud be? Then y does my "coach" insist it is not I drink it everyday and i just want to be sure!! Thanks!!
It is fine as an unrestricted. Yes, it is a tiny bit over the 30%... But really it is the rule of 1/3 calories from fat which is technically 33.33333% but it's much easier to figure things at 30%!! Also, think of the big picture... With something this relatively low in calories, the fat is still very low. If they added 5 calories to the drink, then it would "fit" the guideline!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #29  
started IP 6/21/14

evemomma - you are reading my mind! I just set MFP in the 1300's today. I think you're exactly right - I need to take baby steps and wake my metabolism up.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #30  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

MFP says I need 1875 calories to maintain at a sedentary level of activity. Hard to wrap my mind around that. Probably going to start lower and figure it out, but I do admit counting calories has never been a strong point of mine. Hoping the What are you eating today Maintainers thread will keep me honest.
Closed Thread