Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 154/148/130

Height: 5'6"

Random question: Is pb2 okay to mix into IP chocolate drink mix?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Sorry to sound cranky on this point, dluckylucas, but you will be more successful if you actually stick to the protocol instead of trying to tweak everything. Remember that this phase of weight loss is only temporary - a first contract with yourself. Fulfill that contract with yourself and you get to move on to the second which is maintenance for life, where you get to play around with your menus a lot and you won't feel so 'deprived.' There are still rules to follow on that plan though, so it's good to practice now
All the best to you, and hang in there, you will lose some of those cravings in a little while and it won't seem nearly so difficult.

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 10-19-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluckylucas View Post
So, i am really, seriously wanting a pumpkin pie smoothie.... the kind I used to drink on herbalife (when i was never losing any weight... ha ha). I want it sweet and spicy and light orange? How could I make this IP friendly?
Quote:
also it comes out brown if I just add spices.... And how do you get your shakes a smoothie and creamy consistency? Mine are always kind of icey- chunky instead of like a true milk shake texture... any ice/ water formula to follow?
I'm wondering why the color matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky2012 View Post
Question . . . .Hummus for Phase 1 - yay or nay??
Nay
Look in the recipe thread (link in first post) for the cauli hummus recipe

Quote:
I am also in phase 1 and i am still thinking about trying to create a very awesome pumpkin milkshake..... I am thinking 1/2 vanilla drink mix, 1/2 vanilla pumpkin pie mix, ice, water, splash of sugar free torani pumpkin syrup and to make it the right color I am thinking I could juice a fresh carrot and add a little bit of the juice... just a little? What do you all think?
What is vanilla pumpkin pie mix? I'm pretty sure this isn't an IP product and isn't on the plan. Also, carrots aren't on the plan.
How bout using stuff ON PLAN???
Again, why is the color important?

Quote:
Random question: Is pb2 okay to mix into IP chocolate drink mix?
Nope. Pb2 isn't on the plan either.
First we need to learn the plan before all the tweaks start. Then the tweaks are all on plan.

IP REALLY works. But you have to follow it.

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-19-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/145

Height: 5'3"

HELP! I have been on IP for 14 weeks and lost 35 lbs. For the last week and a half I have started having stomach problems: gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipations, gurgling. I finally went to the doctor on Friday and she told me to add some fiber (Metamucil) and take a probiotic. I am also doing a stool kit (ugh) over the weekend. Friday I took a day off from IP (1st since starting) and ate bread and other things not on protocol and I felt fine. Saturday I got back on track and felt horrible again. I don't know what to do. I want to continue with IP to reach my goal, but can't figure out what is making me feel this way. I use alternative products. Have not had problems with IP till now.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #35  
IP Started 9/29/2014

S/C/G: 215/194/155

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
I am pretty sure there is a mock hummus recipe that's made from cauliflower, if I recall correctly.... and there is a mockamole too. Check out the recipe threads in Lisa's opening post that appears in each daily.

And just to make things the best they could be - I came home after 8 days and found I had dropped 5 lbs on my home scale. When I went for my official weigh in, I had dropped 6lbs!! That was from 9/30 to 10/16 -- so it was essentially 2 weeks.

I am so pleased with how that trip went -- planning ahead and having IP or alternatives at hand makes it so much easier to deal with out of routine situations. I also had some fun exercise while in Hilton Head Island -- great beach for walking, very good bike path, some tennis doubles, and sightseeing in Beaufort, SC and Savannah, Georgia. I found that I looked a lot better in a swimsuit than I have in recent memory, too.

Overall a big success!
Now it's time to return to my good routines here on 3FC - posting the daily menu, and checking in with all of you! I missed you guys!!!

That's fantastic! I am just starting out, just finished my 3rd week and have two hurdle weekends coming up. Nice to know that it can be done . . .
Old 10-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanklan View Post
HELP! I have been on IP for 14 weeks and lost 35 lbs. For the last week and a half I have started having stomach problems: gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipations, gurgling. I finally went to the doctor on Friday and she told me to add some fiber (Metamucil) and take a probiotic. I am also doing a stool kit (ugh) over the weekend. Friday I took a day off from IP (1st since starting) and ate bread and other things not on protocol and I felt fine. Saturday I got back on track and felt horrible again. I don't know what to do. I want to continue with IP to reach my goal, but can't figure out what is making me feel this way. I use alternative products. Have not had problems with IP till now.
Two of the biggest culprits in IP products are the sucralose (AKA Splenda) and soy protein. Try cutting out all the soy protein first and see if that helps after a few days. The Sucralose is harder to cut out without switching to alternative (non IP brand) products. Since you're already on alts, some Quest bars are Sucralose-free, as are Quest chips, Simply Chips, and a variety of stevia-sweetened protein powders.

Sucralose is actually well-known in the natural health "community" for the digestive problems it causes, as is soy protein. Most MDs wouldn't know this as natural health and healing isn't part of their curriculum.

Food sensitivities can develop over time so it isn't inconceivable that you started IP with no problems.

Good luck!!!
Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 198/196.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi all,

Posting for accountability - I did not have a good on plan week this week. I ended up eating lots of stuff that was off plan and ended up not having any loss (or gain, luckily). Though I did stray from plan, I didn't overeat, still tracked everything I ate, and while the daily calories were probably about double what is allowed on IP, I didn't go too crazy.
I could give lots of reasons why it happened (I've been sick, tired, stressful work week) which are all true, but I realize that I still could have chosen to stay on plan and instead chose to eat some things that were not on plan because it seemed easier at the time. I think Lisa (I think it was Lisa) posted a quote not too long ago about how when we are tired we lack the mental energy to make good choices and boy is that true. I am sitting down today to plan my menu for the entire week so that I won't have choice making to do on busy days and can stick to plan this week.

Thanks for listening.

Lucy
Old 10-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/145

Height: 5'3"

Thank you Lisa! I will work on eliminating the soy protein and sucralose and see how I feel. Do you find that the enzymes help at all? Going to start taking those as well. I also have Hashimoto's so, I'm thinking the soy could be the culprit.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #39  

OOps I did not mean "vanilla pumpkin pie mix" in my earlier post.... I meant to say vanilla pudding mix!
Old 10-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #40  

Also, I really don't feel I am "trying to tweak everything" as some seem to think. I just have pb 2 in the cupboard so I thought I would ask.... it is nice to switch things up. Also for me, a little creativity in making the shakes will ultimately keep me in the game. So, I was trying to come up with my own creative pumpkin pie shake! I really don't think that should be looked at like I am a sinner....geez. I do everything my coach asks me to do and I record it all in MFP every meal, every snack, every morsel that goes into my mouth and I am always on track.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #41  

Height: 5'4"

Dluckylucas, there is a lot of alternative IP info here at 3FC; however if you are doing a strict "official" IP program, ask your IP coach. PB2' is low in carbs (3 net) but also low in protein (just 5) for 2 TBSP. Seems to me, you could account for this add in your evening meal, choosing PB2 on a day you eat lower net carb veggies. Best of luck to you!!!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 209/184/150 Age:21

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
I am also in phase 1 and i am still thinking about trying to create a very awesome pumpkin milkshake..... I am thinking 1/2 vanilla drink mix, 1/2 vanilla pumpkin pie mix, ice, water, splash of sugar free torani pumpkin syrup and to make it the right color I am thinking I could juice a fresh carrot and add a little bit of the juice... just a little? What do you all think?
I really loved Starbucks pumpkin spice latte before IP. Now I take my coffee mix it with 1/4 vanilla shake, 1-2 tablespoons Torani sugar free pumpkin pie syrup. It really hits the spot!!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #43  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Also, I really don't feel I am "trying to tweak everything" as some seem to think. I just have pb 2 in the cupboard so I thought I would ask.... it is nice to switch things up. Also for me, a little creativity in making the shakes will ultimately keep me in the game. So, I was trying to come up with my own creative pumpkin pie shake! I really don't think that should be looked at like I am a sinner....geez. I do everything my coach asks me to do and I record it all in MFP every meal, every snack, every morsel that goes into my mouth and I am always on track.
Don't take it personally, people are trying to help you!

Seriously, if you want to start modifying the basic protocol at this early stage you are potentially looking at bigger problems down the line - depending how much weight you need/want to lose and whether you can afford to stay on IP for a little longer to incorporate "cheats" into the plan.

The problem with one little tweak here, and another tiny tweak there is that it can all too frequently descend into "It didn't make that much difference, so I'll just add this, too" and before you know it you're on the slippery slope to slower or no loss at all.

The reason IP is designed to be a package deal (with minor modifications around how the packets are used) is to re-educate your body in how the underlying body processes work. The primary one is to regulate insulin production on a diet that is relatively balanced. This is the BIG one, and is what will help you maintain your weight once you come into P3/4 maintenance and then maintenance for life.

You're also still in the very early stages. The reason we're doing IP is because we have lacked the willpower and self-control to regulate our eating on our own. The whole IP system is designed to break us of the carb cravings and re-educate our tastebuds. The more we "play" with adding in foods that we shouldn't be having, the longer that process will take.

I'm sorry if you feel that you're being picked on for asking questions, but the people who have commented for you are those who have been very successful at losing AND keeping the weight off. Trust them, they have been where you are now and come out the other side. They are trying to keep you on the right path.

Quote:
Okay, I am in my first 2.5 weeks, I will ask her at our meeting on Tuesday.... because I have lost 5 lbs, but for almost 3 weeks of this and lots of $$$$, I am feeling pretty discouraged. Also, my husband is doing the same thing and he has lost 17 lbs, in the same amount of time. MEN!!
Don't feel discouraged. Personally, I don't think your coach has picked the right meal style for you to get you settled into the plan as quickly as possible to alleviate the "hardships" of the first week or so; and, from the questions that you're asking s/he hasn't really given you enough information on how IP actually works and why you should be eating this way. I'm glad that you found 3FC though, the folks here are amazing with how much knowledge they have accumulated, and they are always willing to help you and keep you honest.

Keep asking the questions, you will eventually feel like you're less alone on this journey and it will all start to make sense.

One of the IP info sheets I found online (I think it's aimed more at the coaches/clinicians/doctors who are running IP centers) was very useful in helping me understand the WHY. Hope it helps you, too ..... Frequently Asked Questions about the IP Protocol.

Last edited by Briael; 10-19-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky2012 View Post
Question . . . .Hummus for Phase 1 - yay or nay??
I made raw zucchini hummus once, it was GREAT!
Old 10-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
I made raw zucchini hummus once, it was GREAT!
Raw Zucchini Hummous sounds pretty good to me, if you have a recipe can you post it on one of the recipe threads?? THX!

Liana
Closed Thread