Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #106  

Height: 5'2

Liana - is it possible to get a second opinion regarding the jaw surgery? I've worked as an orthodontic assistant for 11 years and have only encountered ac couple people who did TMJ surgery. I think you would benefit from a good doc who can use splint therapy to ease the pressure off those joints.

Jenny - did you do your half marathon??? What is your diet like on running days? You had mentioned you're eating mostly like phase 3 but I find that it isn't enough food to keep me going. I burn 800 calories on a 10k so I'm curious what you're doing to sustain your energy for a run that's twice as long!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #107  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Count me in on the P1 day tomorrow, too! I had a low calorie day knowing we were eating out but had a DELISH chicken sandwich and asparagus that was WAY high in fat (grilled chicken but on heavy sour dough with bacon, cheese and avocado(eek)). I was debating whether to do a P1...but I know it will help me feel better and get right back on plan. The restaurant we went to needs to be a free day one since it's soo good but sooooo bad, lol!

Last edited by evemomma; 10-29-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephascope View Post
Liana - is it possible to get a second opinion regarding the jaw surgery? I've worked as an orthodontic assistant for 11 years and have only encountered ac couple people who did TMJ surgery. I think you would benefit from a good doc who can use splint therapy to ease the pressure off those joints.

Jenny - did you do your half marathon??? What is your diet like on running days? You had mentioned you're eating mostly like phase 3 but I find that it isn't enough food to keep me going. I burn 800 calories on a 10k so I'm curious what you're doing to sustain your energy for a run that's twice as long!
Thanks, Steph... he just wanted to give me a worst case scenario but he is quite certain the splint will work. He said we usually see either badly worn teeth and a fairly healthy joint, or a very damaged joint and teeth that aren't worn down past the enamel, but I have both (which I've known for a while - in denial ) I took the Certificate course for Dental Office Assistant so I can't plead ignorance, really. I am crossing my fingers that it works as my regular dentist has been trying to convince me to get a fitted mouth guard for the past several years, but really that will just prevent tooth wear and not fix the joint and he figured there was only a 60% chance it would work anyhow.
Interesting Orthodontist though. He was born in Louisiana, and took his dental training there (LSU) and finished with Orthodontics in U of Texas at San Antonio, but he's a skier and loves it here. That's why he moved.

Liana
Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Phase 1 going well so far today!

Liana, glad that your day was better yesterday. Hope that the tmj gets figured out soon with the easiest possible solution.

Hope that all of you are having a great day.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
Count me in on the P1 day tomorrow, too! I had a low calorie day knowing we were eating out but had a DELISH chicken sandwich and asparagus that was WAY high in fat (grilled chicken but on heavy sour dough with bacon, cheese and avocado(eek)). I was debating whether to do a P1...but I know it will help me feel better and get right back on plan. The restaurant we went to needs to be a free day one since it's soo good but sooooo bad, lol!
Hey, I bet it could've even been on plan for the fat meal with the top slice of sourdough off of it (especially if you had asked for extra cheese or bacon ), but I know how hard that would be... sourdough -the real kind from starter w/o any yeast- is my DH's fave bread. That and REALLY HEAVY '5 lb Bauerenbrot rye' (sp) that we buy once in a while from the German bakery. Anyhow, good for you on the P1 today!

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 10-30-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #111  
Evemomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hey, I bet it could've even been on plan for the fat meal with the top slice of sourdough off of it (especially if you had asked for extra cheese or bacon ), but I know how hard that would be... sourdough -the real kind from starter w/o any yeast- is my DH's fave bread. That and REALLY HEAVY '5 lb Bauerenbrot rye' (sp) that we buy once in a while from the German bakery. Anyhow, good for you on the P1 today!

Liana
I think that is why I didn't balk at the high fat items on the sandwhich...but neglected to realize how SUPER high in fat the bread was. Ah well...P1 today complete and no cheating with the Halloween candy! Looking forward to my breakfast tomorrow already!!!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #112  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Thanks, Steph... he just wanted to give me a worst case scenario but he is quite certain the splint will work. He said we usually see either badly worn teeth and a fairly healthy joint, or a very damaged joint and teeth that aren't worn down past the enamel, but I have both (which I've known for a while - in denial ) I took the Certificate course for Dental Office Assistant so I can't plead ignorance, really. I am crossing my fingers that it works as my regular dentist has been trying to convince me to get a fitted mouth guard for the past several years, but really that will just prevent tooth wear and not fix the joint and he figured there was only a 60% chance it would work anyhow.

Liana
I have a fitted mouth guard and you are right, it is protecting my teeth but I still clench hard enough that my ear aches. I used to think I had ear problems! Then pillow issues...then I went to the dentist.

Last edited by ChipnDip; 10-30-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #113  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Today is going to be a challenge for me. Halloween candy is a major weakness. Also I've been overcome by feelings of "I must binge now" twice now on P2, uncontrollable urges to eat every thing in sight. Yesterday I came home, plopped my stuff on the couch and proceeded immediately in to the kitchen and began stuffing handfuls of almonds into my mouth. I stopped mid bite in one of the handfuls, told myself to stop and spit it out into the trash (ew, haha). I don't know what my problem is, I feel right back at square one. Also, because of these strays I am not losing as much as I thought I would on P2...so...I don't know if I should go back to P1 for awhile until I can get it under control or what. Send me some willpower vibes today...in charge of the Halloween party at work so will be surrounded by all the bad stuff.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #114  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quick check in - hopefully have time this weekend to catch up. Been a series of work and family life emergencies and been running, running, running. Ready for a semi-quiet weekend but have to get through Halloween first.

Been thinking of you all though!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #115  
Evemomma

RuthAnn....we missed you! Hang in there and can't wait to catch up more on your life later this weekend!

PishPosh.....you are SOOOO close to getting to the P3 payoff! If I remember, did you decide you were doing an extended P2 run? Personally, 2 weeks was all I could take of P2 because I just couldn't stand the amount of meat I had to eat. Maybe you could consider just doing the standard two weeks? My best advice is to strategically plan for your "munchie attacks" and have a snack/restricted waiting for you as well as some precut veggies to dip in WF dressing or dijon mustard! You could even do something like an IP wafer and split into two times a day. Once I started P3, I didn't miss my extra packet anymore since I adored (and still do) P3 breakfasts. Remember, your weight can still be tweaked in maintenance. It is really important to slowly UP your calories for proper maintenance....so returning to P1 is not a good long-term solution.

Everyone's body responds differently to phasing off. I did A LOT of bouncing around every day with my weight as I phased off. I still bounce in a 4 lb range.....now that I'm used to the pattern, it's easier not feel panicked when I see a few days of up pounds. P1 feels very safe....it's predictable and, frankly, EASY. But in the long run, the longer you stay on P1 with very little to lose, the more you will slow down your metabolism and ultimately have a harder time maintaining.

You can do this!!!! We will help you!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Slip - Happy Birthday! Enjoy Boston this weekend. Are you doing anything special there? Ah, caremel corn - Popcorn was such a trigger food for me pre diet along with PB. I would buy 2 bags at kernels at the mall whenver I would go, a sweet flavour and then a salty. Good for you for getting right back on track. My daughter is going as Elssa and my son Mario. Are your kids going out? I forget how old they are?

Steph- I'm not sure how much I burn calorie wise running. MFP i don't ever bother entering in the exercise. My trainer says about 300cal for a 5k so I would imagine somewhere around 1300 for the 1/2. For long distance runs, so for me that is anything over 10k - I eat the ideal protien Mango RTD (sometimes only 1/2 of it), piece of sugar reduced bread and 1tbsp of almond butter. On the run I will eat some gels that are higher in suger and carb, usually 3 gells every 40min of running. After the run I will do the other 1/2 of shake, 12 almonds, and maybe a bar. I will also drink the Zero calorie Vitamin water that has 2grams of carb in it. Then carry on with regular P3 day so lunch, snack again, dinner of course drinking lots of water.
How aften are you running?

- Pishposh - Sending you WillPower for tonigh! Good for you for spitting out the almonds. I wonder if it time for you to move to P3? Only because you may be getting board and then putting in extra snacks which in the end doesn't work. Maybe your body needs the breakfast and a few good calories to let a couple more LBS go? I don't want to not encourage you to get to goal but those were just a few thoughts. My coach said at one point I could try P3 for a week or two and then go back to P1 and see if that helps body let go.

Ruth ann - Sounds like a busy week hope all the emergencies ended up being okay. Enjoy a quiet weekend. It does sound like you've got your energy back.

Eve - your sandwhich sounds yum.
Hello to Liana and Chip.

Had weekly WI and still sitting at 158.5 which is great. I love how this plan works!! Earlier in the week I thought it was jumping around but it settled down. It is such a relief to know that maintanence works, that is if you stay on top of it every minute. I guess it because easier as the months/years go by.
Happy Halloween Ladies
Old 10-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #117  

Hi Everyone,

Jenny, I do not have any children of my own, 85 kids all school day are enough for me . In Boston, I am going to a spa for a massage, dinner at a posh restaurant and some shopping on Mulberry Street. (All of it is a present from my BFF/SIL). Glad the scale is staying stable for you!

Ruth Ann, hope that things are peaceful for you this weekend.

Pishposh, take a breath. Are you hungry or is your inner brat just craving? Some times, the inner brat needs reminding of just who is in charge (see caramel popcorn post above). Even with a small slip, maintenance can not be an all or nothing proposition. You can do this.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #118  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Slip, Jenny and evemomma, Thank you for the encouragement. I might agree with you about moving to P3, but given the slips, I think I need a solid week of "on plan" to be able to move to P3 properly. Today wasn't great, but I'm putting it behind me. I'm going to be more strategic about my food as you suggested, save my restricted for when I know the "feed me now" attacks hit, usually as I walk in the door from work. I know from all of you that this plan can and does work. I just need to have faith and tell the inner brat to shut up.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #119  

Hi friends,

So happy, the scale is back down in time for my birthday free day! Was almost going to skip my morning weigh in, but decided to stay true to my plan (and self)

Now, off to have some fun in Beantown. Hope that all of you have a wonderful day
Old 11-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #120  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Pishposh, the learning about yourself doesn't end with P1. You can't live under those restrictions for the rest of your life so I am not sure going back to P1 for a few weeks will help you get it under control. Keep moving through the phases and you will likely find with the increase in food, you inner brat shuts up a bit. If it doesn't you need to call on the resistance muscle that you exercised to get you to this point. I kept having cheats my last few weeks but now that I am in maintenance I'm rarely hungry. I definitely take FULL advantage of my fun day, ALL DAY! And it carries me thru the week.

Maybe some of the weight loss books will help you? I read Foodaholic and Refuse to Regain. I know others have enjoyed the Beck Diet Solution.
Closed Thread