Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #31  

S/C/G: Goal: 150

Height: 5'8"

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I modified a recipe to be IP friendly and it was AMAZING, so I wanted to share it with everyone. I love Thai food, and was really craving it so I looked up a recipe and worked with that. You can modify your spice level and be sure to get a 0/0/0 chili garlic sauce. The fish sauce has 15 calories and is otherwise 0/0/0 - but also has a bit of protein! Most oyster sauce is all sugar, so check your labels!

Spicy Basil Thai chicken
1lb ground chicken breast (or could use sliced chicken breast if preferred)
1tsp oil - I used sesame but you can use olive
4 chopped garlic cloves
2 T fish sauce
1-2 T chili garlic sauce (it's spicy so start small!)
Dash or two of brags liquid aminos or soy sauce
Can add a dash of chicken stock if you like more juice
Sliced raw onions
Julienne bell peppers - I used orange
1-1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves

Heat oil in pan, add garlic for 1 minute. Stir to avoid burning. Add raw chicken and stir until cooked through. Add fish sauce, soy sauce or liquid aminos, and chili garlic sauce. Stir together. Add onions and peppers. If adding chicken stock for more liquid, do that now. Then basil at end. The onions and peppers will soften but not carmelize. Basil will wilt and soften. Cook on low a few minutes to mix flavored. I served on lettuce leaves as wraps. Makes 2 servings. So yummy!!!!
The main trick is finding the right Asian seasonings without added sugars bc it's very common to be loaded with sugar but you can add a stevia packet if you want that sweetness. I live the umami taste the fish sauce adds!
Enjoy!

Last edited by Kdmom2; 09-26-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Forgot something in a recipe
Old 09-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #32  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
So today is the opening of the Texas State Fair. It is a really big deal at my company. We all wear company t-shirts and take half the day off and go to the fair. The big thing is all the different fried foods and the beer. Every year it's a BIG competition to see what new thing can be fried. Last year it was a deep fried Thanksgiving dinner. This year it's something called Chocolate Amazeballs, some kind of deep fried chocolate cupcake with a cream cheese filling smothered in chocolate sauce and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Everyone buys this stuff and shares. I didn't eat too much of it last year because I was doing the paleo diet. This year...I won't be eating any of it. I'm going to eat my lunch in the car on the drive downtown and have a Quest bar for a snack. So for me it's not about the food, it's about the fun. I'm actually looking forward to it.
yeah for planning ahead! Stay strong and, seriously, deep-fried cupcakes really don't sound very good, do they?

To those of you struggling with people's opinion of when you should quit losing weight - as long as you feel good, are healthy and your coach/doctor/etc. are comfortable with your goals, tell everyone else to get lost. I understand that some people are coming from a place of caring but many times they are so used to seeing you so much larger that it's hard for them to adjust to seeing you at a new weight. The smaller you just doesn't fit with the picture of you they carry around in their heads.

I had been maintaining at 132 for three months when all the sudden several people told me I was getting too thin and needed to quit losing weight. When I told them I hadn't lost any weight in 3 months they were flabbergasted. Besides that, 132 is in no way too low for my body type - I'm built small. Realistically I could go down another 10 pounds and still be at a good weight. The point is, just as we have problems seeing ourselves as we are now sometimes, so do other people. I would just thank people for their concern, tell them "my doctor is fine with my weight" and move on. Really none of their business anyway.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #33  
Started IP 6/12/14

S/C/G: 192/138.6/132

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyE View Post
Yes, I have. When I hit 140 and told my husband I had 10 more pounds to my goal he said...you will be "too skinny" in 10 more lbs! I quickly told him that I will never be too skinny, it's just my body type. I will ALWAYS be curvy!!! I am close to goal and it has been very slow going! I seem to go up and down all week(I am a daily weigher!) and then on weigh in day I have small losses...last week was .6, the week before was 1.4 and the previous week I was up .8. It is slow going but that's expected the closer I get!

My last measurements were 36, 27, 38...so we are very much alike!
That's great!! Congratulations on your success!!!

My Dad has been getting onto me about losing more weight as well and I'm just letting it roll off. I'll know when I get there and I want to be somewhere I'm happy and comfortable.

We are definitely VERY much alike!!! I don't see me losing many more inches in my hips. It took me a while to get under 40 inches there.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 164.5/131.4/130

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissi View Post
That's great!! Congratulations on your success!!!

We are definitely VERY much alike!!! I don't see me losing many more inches in my hips. It took me a while to get under 40 inches there.

LOL I feel the same about my hips...I just don't think they are going to shrink much more if any more! My hips have always been my problem area!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
Every year it's a BIG competition to see what new thing can be fried. Last year it was a deep fried Thanksgiving dinner. This year it's something called Chocolate Amazeballs, some kind of deep fried chocolate cupcake with a cream cheese filling smothered in chocolate sauce and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
That's just... wrong!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 198/196.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi all,

Interesting discussion about people's comments about getting too skinny.

Unfortunately I had the opposite experience today and it got me feeling pretty discouraged. Quick back story - I started IP 3 weeks ago after having lost a bunch of weight on WW and then gained most of it back in less than a year. Maintaining losses has never happened for me - I'm a chronic yo-yo-er.

Anyway, I am a therapist who contracts with lots of different sites, schools among them. I visited a school this morning that I hadn't been to since the spring and the director seemed like she didn't know me. I reintroduced myself and she said, "Oh wow, I didn't recognize you because you've put on so much weight." Ouch. My face does show it pretty quickly when I start gaining, and obviously I know how much I've regained but it still hurt to hear someone's shock over how much heavier I am. I'm sure others have noticed and have been polite enough not to comment, but it doesn't stop me from feeling the shame of regaining.

I just started working through the Beck book and one of my responses on the "advantages of losing weight" assignment was to feel less uncomfortable in social situations, which is mainly related to my embarrassment about regaining. This comment really highlights that embarrassment.

On the bright side, in the past I probably would have decided to comfort myself over my shame with food and just blow off my healthy eating for the rest of the day. Today I came right to these boards and sat here on my break with an herbal tea reading your posts instead. I'll give myself credit for that. I do so hope this is the absolute last time I am going down this road. Thanks all for reading.

Lucy
Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #37  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh no Lucy!!!!! That IS an "ouch" moment! So sorry that that director felt no need for tact and sensitivity....sheesh, I thought that's what KIDS were for! I am also a therapist....sometimes we tend to put ourselves WAAAAAY last....good for you for changing that! I own my own practice, and my clients have cracked me up with my 40 lb weight loss. MOST of them just don't say anything at all (I think they don't want to insult me that I looked so much heavier before). I have been casually mentioning my diet all summer, though, since I know they can tell there's a difference!

Kissi....

I have definitely gotten the "too skinny" responses from people which really makes me frustrated since it implies I am developing an eating disorder. I am soooo envious of those of you with hour-glass shapes! I lost a good portion of "the girls" with my loss, which I think is part of what makes me look thinner. Now that I'm eating carbs again on maintenance, my face doesn't seem quite so thin though....I think my edges are rounded out with the extra water storage! I know I am at a healthy weight for myself....I weighed a good ten pounds less even in college, so I am trying not to be phased by the skinny comments.

You will know where your body should be the closer you get....I thought 135 was my "magic number" but really like how my clothes fit just 5 lbs less than that. Now, we'll see if it's a realistic maintainable goal. Time will tell!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hahaha, Kissi & SallyE, there's nothing wrong with 130/132 at your heights! I'm 5'8" and 132 ... I am a D cup with 24.5 waist and 37 hips. You aren't going to lose your curves. My only issue is my D's are a little lower than they used to be, but that only increases as we get older anyhow.
For my small frame I can even be 125 lbs and still be in the healthy weight range. But I weighed that when I was 25 so I know I'll never maintain there again, and not even going to try. 132 is what I weighed up until 4 years ago when I started to gain. Right now I am below the second percentile compared with the US 'norm' for my age and height.' ...which is a scary thought for the rest of the US, yikes!

Keep on keepin on all IP'ers! To victory and ongoing maintenance! despite the naysayers!

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 09-26-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 209/184/150 Age:21

Height: 5'11"

everybody Wants Happiness And Nobody Wants Pain, But You Cant Have A Rainbow Without A Little Rain
Old 09-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #40  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Way to go on all the losses and maintenance, everyone!

Jenny38 Love this question of yours. Some of the things I've noticed:-

1. A *lot* more energy. I don't wake up feeling sluggish and ready to doze back to sleep.
2. My fat has traditionally been fairly solid, but I'm noticing that a few areas that need to lose the most are actually loose, grainy fat now. Maybe this is the way the body chooses to break it down before beginning to flush it out?
3. I'm not getting so tired at night.
4. My skin is less flaky and is starting to look very clear and much younger
5. This is a weird one, I know, but my teeth are cleaner! I know I floss them several times a day as protein seems to feel a bit tacky on the teeth compared to carbs.
6. No more static shocks.
7. My body wants to be moving all the time instead of sitting.

On the subject of weight loss/gain and people always having an opinion. Sometimes I think there is too much lack of understanding about what IP is, and how it works. I've read some truly misleading forum articles and people's comments about it being dangerous and that you instantly gain all the weight you lost as soon as you stop eating packet food.

In some cases I think it's jealousy, it's competitiveness, it's curiosity and it's (in a nice way) ignorance about the body's metabolic processes.

You know what you're doing, you know it works, you know where you are aiming to be weightwise and you will know it is right for you when you reach your body's ideal weight. Those who understand that you are trying to make yourself healthy will support you, and the rest will have to learn to accept that it's out of their control.

Until then ... "opinions are like buttholes - everybody has one" is a mantra I repeat when people say hurtful things.

Hope everyone's got plans for a beautiful weekend.

Last edited by Briael; 09-26-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #41  

Kissi:
I think your goal should be a weight you will be able to maintain with ease, rather than one you'd struggle to maintain. Perhaps the dukan diet calculator will help you with that?
It gives you a realistic weight & one that is maintainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemma51 View Post
I agree. I don't have any support at all. Everybody in my family says " That diet is unhealthy and you're going to kill yourself" I get tired of the comments. The only person in my life that supports me is a 75 year old co worker who is dieting too and understands the struggle with weight. There is really only two oe three people that have even acknowledged my loss. I believe that most people are threatened in some weird way that we are actually trying to change ourselves and have the determination to do it. I used to complain about being overweight all the time because I hated the way nI looked. I had many people tell me"stop complaining and do something about it". Well I am!!!
Most of my co-workers have completely ignored my WL. Jealous much? Or else they've made comments how they could "never" use this plan. Okay, then don't!
My DH has been supportive but not overly so (friends tell me it's because he loves me no matter what). He's told others about the revolving closet door...out go "too big clothes," in-come smaller clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy1014 View Post
Unfortunately I had the opposite experience today and it got me feeling pretty discouraged. Quick back story - I started IP 3 weeks ago after having lost a bunch of weight on WW and then gained most of it back in less than a year. Maintaining losses has never happened for me - I'm a chronic yo-yo-er.

Anyway, I am a therapist who contracts with lots of different sites, schools among them. I visited a school this morning that I hadn't been to since the spring and the director seemed like she didn't know me. I reintroduced myself and she said, "Oh wow, I didn't recognize you because you've put on so much weight." Ouch. My face does show it pretty quickly when I start gaining, and obviously I know how much I've regained but it still hurt to hear someone's shock over how much heavier I am. I'm sure others have noticed and have been polite enough not to comment, but it doesn't stop me from feeling the shame of regaining.
Wow. I've never met someone who would actually SAY that to someone. Lack of tact and lack of professionalism for sure!!!

I'm glad you're using the Beck book. It helps us deal with ALL of the emotions in a more cognitive manner. We are not failures just because we temporarily fail. Getting up & dusting ourselves off is surely something to give ourselves credit for (a Beck strategy!)
Old 09-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #42  

Default Beck Diet Solution Daily Tip

Friday Weekend Warm Up:

This weekend, focus more on how eating off-plan feels in your head and less on how it feels in your mouth. Yes, the off-plan food might taste good, but what does it do to your head (makes you feel guilty and mad at yourself, knocks you off-track, and makes it harder to do what you need to do) is much less palatable.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Happy Friday! Just weighed in, down 2.6lbs!! That's 14lbs for my first month - WAHOOOO!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce View Post
Did my daily WI this morning...down to 166.6! I can't believe it, was completely expecting a slow week per my pattern, but things seem to be chugging along this week. Woohoo!.
great Job!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies2 View Post
That is amazing, what willpower!

And it illustrates something I've learned which is people often just want you to join them and they understand that you may not be eating what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissi View Post
Good Morning All!!

WI this morning and I'm down -6.8lbs!!!!!! My coach was out last week so it's a 2 week WI but a 3.4lb loss per week average!!! I'm ecstatic!!

For as much trouble as the 160s gave me, I'm already in the lower 150s!! I LOVE this diet! I also hit the 40 lbs lost mark! Lots of stuff to be happy about and lots of motivation to move forward!!! 20 lbs to go!!!
Great work!
Old 09-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 209/184/150 Age:21

Height: 5'11"

I finally bought the Beck Book yesterday from Barnes and Noble, then totally forgot to bring it to work with me ( Sometimes I fail
Old 09-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #45  

Height: 5'5"

Default IP and surgery recovery

I am getting ready to have foot surgery and I'm starting IP at the same time. Has anyone else done this combo? I will be off my foot for several months and I thought this would mesh with my starting IP. I just need to know if it could potentially slow my healing. I am having two bones in my foot fused😳

Thanks!
2muchfun
Closed Thread