Old 09-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Default Anyone on IP while taking Arimidex or Tamaxofin?

I'm on Arimidex which helped to put a lot of the weight I lost back on and now back on IP I'm finding it really challenging to lose anything after the initial water weight lost. Also my oncologist who loves IP (and told me about it several years ago) is not crazy that I'm now ingesting all of this soy isolate since having estrogen driven cancer now twice. She would like me to do a whole food IP type of plan. She is suggesting the low glycemic index as a guide. I have no problem with that, but afraid now that losing the weight just won't happen with this medication.

Anyone else on these meds and successfully losing weight?

Last edited by DanafromAustin; 09-11-2014 at 05:14 PM.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Lisa32989 does her IP with some alternatives and does not use soy. She's the gal that usually starts off our Daily Chat. You might want to message her about the alternatives (or they may be posted somewhere on this forum - could do a search for soy-free alternative?) As for Tamoxifen, sorry no experience with that except that my aunt took it and it worked for her. No recurrence of the cancer post-mastectomy. GL with getting more diet options.
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #3  

I don't use any soy protein

Sorry, I have no experience losing weight on those meds
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #4  

Thanks for the feedback. I did look at the quest bars and they don't show any soy, so that should work for at least breakfast. I think I can do this with whole foods. Just need to do some more homework. Now I just need to adjust to potentially really slow weight loss because of the medication. At least I will be eating healthy whole food which is never a bad thing.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #5  

Quest bars
Simply whey bars
Simply chips
Quest chips
Syntrax nectar

Plus several items on Nashua nutrition
Old 09-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #6  
Started IP 1/30/14

S/C/G: 281/173/165

Height: 5'5"

My mother lost a lot of weight on a diet similar to IP while on Tamoxifan (during her third of five years on it). Her cancer was not estrogen receptive, however, so the soy wasn't a concern. Good luck with your weight loss!
Peppertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Quest bars
Simply whey bars
Simply chips
Quest chips
Syntrax nectar

Plus several items on Nashua nutrition
Thanks Lisa. I will check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppertree View Post
My mother lost a lot of weight on a diet similar to IP while on Tamoxifan (during her third of five years on it). Her cancer was not estrogen receptive, however, so the soy wasn't a concern. Good luck with your weight loss!
That's great to hear about your mom. I know for sure the weight is not going to come off like it did the last time on IP because that was before I started the drug, but hopefully with enough patience I can lose some this time around. Time to regroup and find some new alternatives.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Dana, one of the Oct. Newbies has lost all of her weight on Phase 2. You could use the quest bars for one meal and follow phase 2 with whole foods for your other two. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and has been clear for 30 years now. I wish you great success and strength.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Dana, one of the Oct. Newbies has lost all of her weight on Phase 2. You could use the quest bars for one meal and follow phase 2 with whole foods for your other two. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and has been clear for 30 years now. I wish you great success and strength.
Thank you. Yes, I think that is the way I will have to go as long as the drug doesn't interfere too much. No options, so will make the best out of the situation. Thankfully mine was caught very early which is always important. So ladies...make sure you get your mammograms on time and self check EVERY single month. It can make all of the difference in the world to you and your family.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #10  

Dana
Nashua Nutrition also has a new line of bars called "Natures Essence"
No soy protein, GF, organic ingredients. I'm gonna try them!

They're closer to 2.50/bar vs the Simply Whey Bars that are less than 2/bar (through Netrition).

Netrition has a great standard shipping price if you do a big order.
Nashua has free shipping for orders over $99. I have no problem spending that, since my IP was so.much.more!

I'm putting in my Nashua order today. Everything I buy is soy protein-free & GF. It can certainly be done!
Old 03-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Dana
Nashua Nutrition also has a new line of bars called "Natures Essence"
No soy protein, GF, organic ingredients. I'm gonna try them!

They're closer to 2.50/bar vs the Simply Whey Bars that are less than 2/bar (through Netrition).

Netrition has a great standard shipping price if you do a big order.
Nashua has free shipping for orders over $99. I have no problem spending that, since my IP was so.much.more!

I'm putting in my Nashua order today. Everything I buy is soy protein-free & GF. It can certainly be done!
Lisa - what did you think of the natures essence bars? I am getting ready to place an order.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:08 AM   #12  

hysteria
They're good I got the mint chocolate

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-07-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:21 AM   #13  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Beware of sneaky labelling with soy produce in diet and low carb foods.

Lecithin is actually a soy product (in nearly all cases in the protein powder realm) and, although it tends to typically be less than 2% in the protein bars, it is still soy.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Beware of sneaky labelling with soy produce in diet and low carb foods.

Lecithin is actually a soy product (in nearly all cases in the protein powder realm) and, although it tends to typically be less than 2% in the protein bars, it is still soy.
Thanks Lisa / Briael - thanks for the heads up - did not know about Lecithin. Right now I am actively avoiding soy protein isolate and soy. My hypo symptoms have abated on IP (yay!) so I continue to actively monitor everything I am introducing into my diet - including the goiterous veggies like broccoli.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote