Old 09-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #1  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Ketosis/Ketonix

For anyone interested in accurately checking in on their ketone levels, there is a new product out called Ketonix

Being in ketosis is a sign that your body is burning its fat for its energy (as opposed to burning carbs, sugars etc).

The pee sticks that you can buy at a pharmacy are not accurate -- they measure ketones that the body spills into its urine. As the body becomes more proficient at fat burning, the spillage into urine stops and the pee sticks therefore stop reading ketones.

Ketonix was developed by a guy in Sweden who keeps his body in ketosis to manage his epilepsy (burning ketones helps more things than just weight loss. Science is showing that it helps with things like Alzheimers, MS, and depression to name just a few.)

I just got my own ketonix ... bought it through Amazon. It was shipped from Sweden. It's good for more than 1,000 readings.

I am in the green zone which is considered to be a mild ketosis.

fyi
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

FYI - your post is not accurate.

Being in ketosis does not mean your body is burning it's fat for energy. You can be in ketosis and add to your fat stores.

Calories matter and the reason people lose fat on the IP plan is because they are ingesting 700-900 calories a day.

Also, in my opinion, there is no reason to spend money measuring whether you're in ketosis or not when you're following the IP plan. Just follow the plan and you'll do great.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #3  
Started IP May 17, 2013

JohnP,

Good to hear from you. Scientists were once on your page but the paradigm shift is happening. More and more of them acknowledging the truth and debunking the myths advanced by Ancel Keyes in the early 1960's.

Calorie consumption does affect weight loss, yes but not in the ways that were previously thought. Also a higher fat diet is more satiating and nourishing for the body ... which in itself leads to lower consumption.

In order to be fully keto-adapted and to start burning stored body fat for fuel, ketone levels must be between 0.5 to 3.0 millimolar. There is no benefit to pushing ketones higher for fat loss ... which is one of the reasons 'nutritional ketosis' stands distinguished for those interested in weight loss... and why measuring ketones can make a difference to some people.

If you are interested in learning more, see the recent documentary Cereal Killers. It's really quite fabulous.

I personally don't advocate high fat consumption for weight loss (though it certainly is working for me for weight maintenance, nothing works as well for weight loss for me as does Ideal Protein which limits carbs and fats), there is ample mainstream scientific evidence now that says that weight loss is not a matter of calories in/calories out.

For some people -- many people -- carbs make a difference.

And as for 'just follow the IP programme and you'll do great' -- actually not true for everyone. I am so sugar sensitive that even too much lemon juice affects my ability to lose weight. Measuring my ketone levels helped my coach and I scientifically discern this.

106 pound weight loss and holding....

Last edited by Annik; 09-09-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #4  
Started IP May 17, 2013

ps too much protein can also knock a person out of ketosis.

The liver has the capacity to convert protein into glucose ... a process known as gluconeogenesis. It's why moderate protein is so critical to success on Ideal Protein.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #5  

This is great, I didn't know this was available. I used the ketostix and they have become useless since I've been in ketosis long enough to be keto-adapted. At least that's what I think based on all the research I've read. It will be interesting to see what these readings are, I'm always interested in tools that help me tell what my body is doing - without having to stick myself LOL
kattigrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Hi Annik -

There is a massive difference between the fact that fat/loss gain is an equation of energy and the real world effect different macronutrients have on satiety and compliance.

The point is that you said something that was not true (ketosis is a sign that your body is burning its fat) and I corrected you. Ketosis is a sign your body is utilizing fat as it's primary fuel source. It could be your own fat stores or it could be dietary fat.

You have then gone on to make many points which I'm not debating other than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
And as for 'just follow the IP programme and you'll do great' -- actually not true for everyone. I am so sugar sensitive that even too much lemon juice affects my ability to lose weight. Measuring my ketone levels helped my coach and I scientifically discern this.
I am extremely skeptical that lemon juice affected your bodies ability to burn fat. Unless you were consuming it in massive quantities the most likely case was that you, like many dieters, confused correlation with causation.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #7  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattigrr View Post
This is great, I didn't know this was available. I used the ketostix and they have become useless since I've been in ketosis long enough to be keto-adapted. At least that's what I think based on all the research I've read. It will be interesting to see what these readings are, I'm always interested in tools that help me tell what my body is doing - without having to stick myself LOL
It's quite new to the market. And very handy! I like it a lot. I am interested in the science. I was using a blood ketone tester but was reluctant to test often on account of the cost of the strips.

Doing it by breath is easier and less expensive.

My nephew -- a natural slim build, ie slim with no effort -- tests high in ketones without following any particular diet. His dad (my brother) tests moderate with a bit of effort. And I have to work at it!

But still giving thanks for Ideal Protein. It helped me find a concrete structured way that works. It has been a real life saver. A liberation!

Last edited by Annik; 09-09-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #8  

I love this diet, I'm 52 and was having all kinds of problems, thyroid issues, pre or peri menopause symptoms, was working out but couldn't lose an ounce. I feel like my whole body has reset. I'm ordering my ketonix tonight, great idea.

I'm losing most weeks and have dropped 14 #'s so far. Not sure I lost anything this week but my clothes feel better so I'm good with that. I started at 176 #'s 5'2" tall and had no idea how messed up my metabolism was getting. My mom is just under 5', type 2 diabetes and has struggled with weight problems since she was my age. I feel like this diet showed me how to avoid that and maybe I can help my mom too.

BTW: you look awesome
kattigrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #9  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
ps too much protein can also knock a person out of ketosis.

The liver has the capacity to convert protein into glucose ... a process known as gluconeogenesis. It's why moderate protein is so critical to success on Ideal Protein.
Thanks for the info on Ketonix and WOW congrats on your success!!! I'm interested in your comment above. I used Ideal Protein and lost ~80 lbs in 7 months, but frequently ate a lot of extra protein--more often than not, a daily pound of chicken breast meat weighed AFTER cooking I recall reading somewhere that blood glucose from gluconeogenesis does not stimulate insulin as strongly as that from ingested carbs.

Fascinating topic!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:25 AM   #10  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Mars375,

That's my experience with protein, too... a lot more forgiving than carbs!

IP is a great programme. Can't speak highly enough of it.

This past spring, I went on the Low Carb Cruise. A broad spectrum of 'low carb' approaches were represented -- Atkins, Paleo, Sugar Shock, and only me from Ideal Protein -- everyone with some sort of ketogenic approach. Besides North Americans, there were people from Sweden, South Africa and Australia ... The low carb movement is really taking off in all 3 of those countries (the documentary Cereal Killers highlights South Africa and Australia and gives some background to the Ancel Keyes controversy in the United States. I found it to be quite a compelling film.)

While on the cruise, I had the opportunity for several conversations with Dr Eric Westman. When I described Ideal Protein to him and asked for insight as to why it worked so well (my point being that IP is not a high fat approach such as is Atkins), he said that he would challenge that IP actually is a high fat diet -- in principal, it sets up ketosis that causes the body to start consuming it's own fat.

I had fun on the cruise and learned a lot... and felt pretty reinforced about Ideal Protein achievements! It's also where I learned about ketonix.

Annik

Last edited by Annik; 09-10-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #11  

Interesting. Thanks for sharing with us!
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #12  
2nd time at IP 6/8/14

S/C/G: 265/173/135-140

Height: 5'6"

thanks for sharing! But as long as your following the IP protocal to the T we shouldnt need to check this, correct? Is it dangerous to be in Ketosis for too long?
Crystalsgettingfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #13  
Started IP May 17, 2013

That's right.

Unless you're super sensitive to sugar... Your coach can help you with some refinements of the programme.

Nutritional ketosis is not dangerous. Ketoacidosis on the other hand is a form of uncontrolled ketosis. People with diabetes can suffer from this. It's not the same thing as nutritional ketosis. My understanding is that it's the acidosis that is produced by ketoacidosis that makes it dangerous... not the ketones themselves.

But nutritional ketosis is fine.

Last edited by Annik; 09-10-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #14  
2nd time at IP 6/8/14

S/C/G: 265/173/135-140

Height: 5'6"

oh good to know. Thanks!
Crystalsgettingfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

If your body wasn't 'broken', with metabolic issues before you started IP, you may not even show ketones in your urine because you are efficiently burning them up. I never got any results or symptoms (like bad breath/taste in the mouth, etc) of ketosis, but still lost weight because I burnt mine up. As long as you are following the plan and seeing losses, I wouldn't worry about testing for ketones in the urine. (Unless you have other issues that you want to keep track of like Annik.)

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote