Old 10-01-2014, 01:33 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 189.2/156.6/154

Height: 5'8"

My vote is for Rhubarb!! Stewed rhubarb with a bit of stevia and cinnamon is like a dessert. I love it. Or throw it in the oven with a slightly wetted pack of oatmeal on top and call it a crisp- also very good.
Made cinnamon cookies with a packet of crispy cereal and zucchini.
And of course the aforementioned Wildberry zucchini muffins.
I like to make the zucchini into 'apples' before I use it in the baking...
Raw, I really like the peppers and celery because they're so portable and crunchy. Spinach in the chocolate shake really IS great!
RefreshingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #47  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
Rutabagas are my new favorite vegetable. I like them mashed, and think they have a little bit of a squash texture and subtle taste. Tonight I decided to see if I could make a fake mashed sweet potato. I peeled, cubed and boiled them, then mashed in my ninja blender with some WF pancake syrup and cinnamon, salt and paper. Not too bad! Will definitely have again. I also want to try this recipe I found online (but with less oil):

Roasted Rutabaga
Toss 1 large peeled and cubed rutabaga with 3 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper on a baking sheet. Roast at 425 degrees F until golden and soft, 40 minutes. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and chopped parsley.
The challenge with rutabaga and roasting is it will take longer than you think and I find will still have some crunch. I usually do mashed. I cook a ton in my pressure cooker, mash and freeze in portions. I micro it or sauté to rehear, adding some stevia if needed. It only takes 5 minutes in a pressure cooker but well over 30 if you boil. I wish it weren't an occasional veggie!
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 242/217/180

Height: 5'6

My new found discovery is baked broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini. Pre-heat oven to Broil Hi or Lo (Doesn't matter). Measure out your veggies and cut to your liking. Place on a lined cookie sheet or in a glass oven bake safe dish. Sprinkle lightly with infused olive oil (I'm currently using Evoolution Tuscan). Bake until squishy. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Great on top of salad or eating plain.

Enjoy!
danibee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
The challenge with rutabaga and roasting is it will take longer than you think and I find will still have some crunch. I usually do mashed. I cook a ton in my pressure cooker, mash and freeze in portions. I micro it or sauté to rehear, adding some stevia if needed. It only takes 5 minutes in a pressure cooker but well over 30 if you boil. I wish it weren't an occasional veggie!
Rutabaga is not an occasional vegetable on my P1 sheet. It's from two years ago though, has it changed?

I agree it takes a long time to cook, I cut into small cubes, then boil for 40 min. I'm sure you could microwave them too if in a hurry. Good idea to freeze, I will do that. I had my leftover "sweet potato mash" today for lunch and it was so good. Thinking of trying for a pumpkin pie effect with a crumbled, baked apple pie quest bar as topping. I like to bake my quest bar cookies until crunchy, and I was thinking the apple pie flavor would be good crumbled over something.
AusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #50  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
Rutabaga is not an occasional vegetable on my P1 sheet. It's from two years ago though, has it changed?

I was on IP 2 years ago, rutabaga was definitely an "occasional" veggie then, and is now as well...from the P1 sheet dated 6/2014:

OCCASIONAL VEGETABLES – Maximum 4 cups per week – Weigh before cooking
Beans (green and wax), Brussels sprouts, eggplant, heart of palm, rutabaga, snow peas, tomatillo, tomatoes.

I WISH I could have it more often!! I love rutabaga fries, curried rutabaga bisque and using rutabaga in place of potato in my beef stew!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 394/381/199

Height: 5'5"

Scorbett please post a recipe for curried rutabaga bisque please and thank you
this girl is awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #52  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by this girl is awake View Post
Scorbett please post a recipe for curried rutabaga bisque please and thank you
It's super easy!

Take 1 cup cooked rutabaga (Mashed or in chunks), put it in a blender. Add water, vanilla RTD or a blend of the two to thin it out - usually about 1/2 cup works but you can make it whatever consistency you like. Add a pinch of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder, and a Tbsp of Walden farms pancake syrup. Sometimes I'll use 1/4 tsp of nutmeg instead of the curry powder, but I love curry! Blend it all up, then heat in the microwave! YUMMMM
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
It's super easy!

Take 1 cup cooked rutabaga (Mashed or in chunks), put it in a blender. Add water, vanilla RTD or a blend of the two to thin it out - usually about 1/2 cup works but you can make it whatever consistency you like. Add a pinch of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder, and a Tbsp of Walden farms pancake syrup. Sometimes I'll use 1/4 tsp of nutmeg instead of the curry powder, but I love curry! Blend it all up, then heat in the microwave! YUMMMM
I do a similar recipe but with blended cauliflower and I also add a touch of coconut extract!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 206/190/150

Height: 5'2"

I bought a jacima a last week, it is still sitting on the counter until I have time to look up a recipe. I love trying new foods! I was surprised my grocer even had them!
kay2rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 206/190/150

Height: 5'2"

I finally found a veggetti at Walmart. The young kids at the check-out had no idea what I was looking for! Several people asked what I was eating in my salad today! Cucumbers!
kay2rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #56  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay2rn View Post
I bought a jacima a last week, it is still sitting on the counter until I have time to look up a recipe. I love trying new foods! I was surprised my grocer even had them!
Don't wait too long, they go bad and you can't tell until you cut into them. Very disappointing when you have your mind set on having it fir your next meal
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 394/381/199

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
It's super easy!

That sounds good! I love rutabaga. Also I love curry.
this girl is awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 189.6/139/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay2rn View Post
I finally found a veggetti at Walmart. The young kids at the check-out had no idea what I was looking for! Several people asked what I was eating in my salad today! Cucumbers!
kay2rn: I'd like to try a veggetti - did you find it by the kitchen gadgets? I hate going to Walmart unless I have to, so I don't want to spend forever looking for it!
momcat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat63 View Post
kay2rn: I'd like to try a veggetti - did you find it by the kitchen gadgets? I hate going to Walmart unless I have to, so I don't want to spend forever looking for it!
They might have them at Bed Bath and Beyond too. At my Walmart, they were at the front right where you leave the check-out. It is a Seen on TV section.

Last edited by JLUS; 10-02-2014 at 03:49 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #60  

Quote:
I was on IP 2 years ago, rutabaga was definitely an "occasional" veggie then, and is now as well...from the P1 sheet dated 6/2014:

OCCASIONAL VEGETABLES – Maximum 4 cups per week – Weigh before cooking
Beans (green and wax), Brussels sprouts, eggplant, heart of palm, rutabaga, snow peas, tomatillo, tomatoes.

I WISH I could have it more often!! I love rutabaga fries, curried rutabaga bisque and using rutabaga in place of potato in my beef stew!
Well darn. I guess I'll have to wait until next week for my next rutabaga recipe. I checked my sheet again and even though I did IP in 2012, they gave me a sheet that was dated 2011. Good thing I never even tried rutabagas then, I would have gone crazy. Ha. Thanks for the info, I downloaded the new sheet. Your curried rutabaga bisque sounds great, definitely on my list.
AusTex is offline   Reply With Quote