Old 08-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #1  

Default Real food as IP Alternative

Hi everyone,
I started IP on July 2nd and in my first 2 months I have lost 28 pounds. I have not set a goal but I need to lose at least another 60.
I am really interested in IP alternatives. What I would really like to hear about are real food alternatives. I have replaced my breakfast IP packet with a poached egg and a slice of peameal bacon. I have also had tuna in lieu of my lunch packet. These have been occasional replacements. I've read many posts about protein shakes and bars and other prepackaged foods (most of which do not seem to be available to me in canada). But I would like to find more real food options.
Anyone have any tips, advice, suggestions?
kennasmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #2  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

There is a buried canadian thread that can walk you through buying alternatives. I'll look for it for you. I buy stuff at Shoppers drug mart, walmart, the low carb grocery store. There are places to order proti diet from that will mail it to you.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennasmum View Post
Hi everyone,
I started IP on July 2nd and in my first 2 months I have lost 28 pounds. I have not set a goal but I need to lose at least another 60.
I am really interested in IP alternatives. What I would really like to hear about are real food alternatives. I have replaced my breakfast IP packet with a poached egg and a slice of peameal bacon. I have also had tuna in lieu of my lunch packet. These have been occasional replacements. I've read many posts about protein shakes and bars and other prepackaged foods (most of which do not seem to be available to me in canada). But I would like to find more real food options.
Anyone have any tips, advice, suggestions?
Unless you want to just eat eggs, you are unlikely to find much "real food" to equal the same nutrition packed into an IP or alternative protein packet. Perhaps you should look at something like South Beach or Atkins. Losses are slower, but it is real food.

There are MANY people who successfully find IP alternative products in Canada so there is no reason you can,t do IP if you want to.

Last edited by JLUS; 09-01-2014 at 07:54 AM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

I'm new to IP so I have not looked at labels but my guess to your closest diet with real food would be South Beach. I've done both Atkins which I found very easy to do because I was in ketosis the entire time (no cheating). I tried South Beach because it seems to be a better option to live the rest of your life but honestly like Weight Watchers it gave me too many options so I never really lost more then the initial 10 pounds. But, with all my reading it seems to be a good place to start.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #5  

So the egg & peameal is not a replacement for a packet.

A replacement for an omelet packet would be 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites.

It looks like one 3 oz can of tuna would work for replacing a lunch packet.

There are MANY Canadians on this forum who do a great job of finding packet replacements.

Simply chips or bars are made in Canada and would be a good restricted replacement for IP. I agree that South Beach would be an okay real-food alternative. However, the low fat and nonfat suggestions (cheese, for example), I believe, are unhealthy alternatives to real food.

Here is a link for finding alternative products in Canada
http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #6  

Thank you everyone. I do want to stick with IP. I guess I'm out of luck on the real food quest. I do appreciate your input!
kennasmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennasmum View Post
Thank you everyone. I do want to stick with IP. I guess I'm out of luck on the real food quest. I do appreciate your input!
Are you kidding? Is this thread sponsored by IP? So much FUD ...

You can so easily follow a plan very similar to IP and never touch a packet of anything. Science teaches us that there is nothing special about the protein in ANY protein powder let alone the protein powder used by official IP products which is mostly whey concentrate and soy from the ingredient lists I have seen.

The IP diet at it's core is a PSMF diet and some PSMF diets exist that are not only based on whole foods but actually discourage the use of protein powder and other pre-packaged foods.

Rapid Fat Loss is the diet plan I followed. You can find the old version of it online quite easily to get an idea of his the plan works.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #8  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

The low GI diet (created by a canadian) is similar to's out beach and Atkins but lower fat like IP.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote