Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #76  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
I recall reading a recipe that referred to using 2 egg whites mixed in with an IP packet, and the post said something like "use the 2 free egg whites".... this led me to believe that I might have missed something in the protocol... until a few days later I saw a reference in a post that referred to using 2 egg whites early in the day to make pancakes or something and then it said - "of course I reduced my regular protein at dinner to compensate for using the 2 egg whites."

The latter seems more likely, but if there are 2 free egg whites in the protocol I would like to know about it!!!

Can any of you veteran IP'ers clear this up for me?

I used one or two egg whites as "free" the whole time on P1 and my coach was fine with it. Usually I'd only use one but several people mentioned they'd use 2 with no problems. I never subtracted it from my protein allowance but I also went down to 6 oz of protein after I'd lost about 50 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creolelady View Post
I have used MFP since day 1 and love it. I bring my ipad to my weekly meetings so my coach can scroll through and analyze.

I am so glad to be on the other end of this weekend!!!! Had a few challenges. Friday night we were invited to a Mexican dinner party. I resisted chips and salsa and most important the margaritas. I brought the salad and made it according to my needs. Then I had my salad with some taco meat in top. Only issue is I couldn't weigh out the protein but I erred on the side of caution and put less than I thought was necessary .

Yesterday we had friends over and grilled out. I avoided chips and potato salad entirely. I drank water and had salad and a hamburger patty. I'm proud of myself. It's getting easier.

For tonight I made okra gumbo with chicken and shrimp. My mom's recipe is 100% IP friendly once I removed the onions and sub onion powder !!!! It's a generations old recipe too. FYI okra is the only gumbo made without roux because okra is a natural thickener.

I weigh in on Tuesday. I'm nervous because I think I will have to switch to alternatives in a month. My son is having surgery in September and we have to save money because we are going to have to pay our deductible. I've been reading on here on the alternatives thread to educate myself. Do any of you use alternatives?

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Congrats on making it through the weekend 100%! That was a tough one! Good for you for planning ahead and sticking to it.

Sorry to hear about your son, I'll be thinking of him. Lots of people have successfully used alternatives for the whole time they are on P1 - sounds like you are studying up on them and will do great.

And yes, please post the gumbo recipe!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
I recall reading a recipe that referred to using 2 egg whites mixed in with an IP packet, and the post said something like "use the 2 free egg whites".... this led me to believe that I might have missed something in the protocol... until a few days later I saw a reference in a post that referred to using 2 egg whites early in the day to make pancakes or something and then it said - "of course I reduced my regular protein at dinner to compensate for using the 2 egg whites."

The latter seems more likely, but if there are 2 free egg whites in the protocol I would like to know about it!!!

Can any of you veteran IP'ers clear this up for me?

I'm not a veteran but I did ask my coach about this last week because I kept seeing things about it on the videos. She said 1-2 egg whites are fine, that's why so many recipes use it. And it doesn't count against your protein - so a freebie.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #78  

Oneuh2
Some of the previous protocol sheets indicated anything additional not on the list had to be 0/0/0 (carbs/sugar/fat). Egg whites fall into that category. Now you know the history of adding egg white "freebies"
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 AM   #79  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Ruth Ann, JJTx, Lisa - thanks for clearing up the confusion. This is good news - a little flexibility goes a long way!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #80  

I'm sure some of my long timers remember my frustration with my doctor and trying to find someone who could truly help me with the thyroid issue. My PCP didn't even know that low cal diets can be temporarily hard on thyroid.

Ugh

I went back to my PCP just to have blood work ordered (that would be covered by insurance). He completely misunderstood me (imagine that!!) He didn't realize until this am that he's dealing with ZERO thyroid meds. He thought he was testing using the dose he'd prescribed.

I was with a friend yesterday who referred me to a different PCP who may think a little differently -more like me!!! I'm calling this am for an appt.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 325/300/225

Height: 5'7"

Hi Ladies here's the gumbo recipe:

I made the quantities so that the final product = two dinner servings

3.5 cups okra - I used frozen already trimmed and cut but you can use fresh.
.25 cup green bell pepper
1 cube frozen garlic puree (or fresh garlic)
.25 cup chopped celery and parsley
.25 cup tomato paste
1 quart low sodium low fat chicken broth

6 ounces shrimp peeled and deveined
4 ounces ham cubed
6 ounces chicken breast

in a large skillet preheated over medium heat pour 4 tsp grapeseed or olive oil (remember you are preparing 2 servings)

add bell pepper, garlic, celery and parsley and saute for 3 minutes. Add okra and tomato paste and cook down for about 30 minutes, until the slime is completely gone from the okra.

Cut your chicken breast into bite size pieces and brown in the oven for about 15 minutes under 375 temp.

When okra is completely cooked and chicken is browned, bring the chicken broth and 1 quart water to boil. Add okra, chicken and ham and boil over medium high heat for 30-45 minutes. Add shrimp and boil for another 10 minutes or until reduced to a thickness you like.

Salt and pepper to taste. I also add ground cayenne for a kick. You can sub lump crab meat or any other protein you like.

Delicious!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #82  

Creolelady: can you also post that recipe in recipes #4 thread so it can be more easily found at a future time?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 325/300/225

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Creolelady: can you also post that recipe in recipes #4 thread so it can be more easily found at a future time?
Sure can! Can you ladies put your eagle eyes on it to be sure it's all good 100% on plan before I do?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #84  
Started IP 6/12/14

S/C/G: 192/138.6/132

Height: 5'3

Thanks for posting the recipe, creole lady! I can't wait to try it!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #85  

Quote:
here's the gumbo recipe:

I made the quantities so that the final product = two dinner servings

3.5 cups okra - I used frozen already trimmed and cut but you can use fresh.
.25 cup green bell pepper
1 cube frozen garlic puree (or fresh garlic)
.25 cup chopped celery and parsley
.25 cup tomato paste
1 quart low sodium low fat chicken broth

6 ounces shrimp peeled and deveined
4 ounces ham cubed
6 ounces chicken breast

in a large skillet preheated over medium heat pour 4 tsp grapeseed or olive oil (remember you are preparing 2 servings)

add bell pepper, garlic, celery and parsley and saute for 3 minutes. Add okra and tomato paste and cook down for about 30 minutes, until the slime is completely gone from the okra.

Cut your chicken breast into bite size pieces and brown in the oven for about 15 minutes under 375 temp.

When okra is completely cooked and chicken is browned, bring the chicken broth and 1 quart water to boil. Add okra, chicken and ham and boil over medium high heat for 30-45 minutes. Add shrimp and boil for another 10 minutes or until reduced to a thickness you like.

Salt and pepper to taste. I also add ground cayenne for a kick. You can sub lump crab meat or any other protein you like.
Quote:
Sure can! Can you ladies put your eagle eyes on it to be sure it's all good 100% on plan before I do?
This recipe looks fantastic!

the only changes I see is that I see more than 4 c. veggies (extra .25 c)
Additionally, tomato paste is condensed so it doesn't measure equal to a raw tomato.
I'd probably reduce okra to 3 c.

I'm hoping my CSA has okra this week. If so, I'm SO making this!

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-04-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissi View Post
I make a mockajalaya with riced cauliflower a couple weeks ago but made my shrimp WAYYYY too spicy.
Hahahahah, kissi, there is no such thing as shrimp that is waaaaay too spicy!
Capsicum is my friend!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Anyone notice MFP now has the pie chart on their mobile app that breaks down your calories into macros that used to only be on the computer?

It's the little things...usually I don't care for updates but this I like.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #88  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Anyone notice MFP now has the pie chart on their mobile app that breaks down your calories into macros that used to only be on the computer?

It's the little things...usually I don't care for updates but this I like.
That's weird IPN - my phone app has always had the pie chart but I could never find it on the computer.

The upgrade I don't like is the little messages I get on my phone app that tells me "this food is a good choice" or "you're exceeding your fiber goal". Argh! I am perfectly capable of nagging myself, thankyouverymuch.

creolelady - I've saved that recipe - it looks awesome. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Me laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
The upgrade I don't like is the little messages I get on my phone app that tells me "this food is a good choice" or "you're exceeding your fiber goal". Argh! I am perfectly capable of nagging myself, thankyouverymuch.

!
Ruth Ann - I love that statement about being capable of nagging yourself! It struck some chords for me. I do not really need nagging from those around me (when it does happen) 'cause I am an expert with many decades of experience nagging myself, looking for perfection.....
Old 08-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

That's why I never use the phone app anymore, it's just waaaay too annoying and takes me ages to use. I'd rather put it on the computer.
I've never seen a pie chart, but then I almost never look at reports where I'm assuming it may be.
Closed Thread