Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #31  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahajar View Post
Hi lisa32989

Yes I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos 3 years ago in 2011. I believe it is the same as hypothyroidism except that this is auto immune. The doctor told me that they are largely the same.
I was prescribed Levothyroxine 50mcg which I take in the mornings on an empty stomach.

Thanks
You may need a meds adjustment. Call your doc
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #32  

OK I will ... but you mean I need to get my tests done first again right ?
mahajar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #33  

Won't your doc have to order that?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #34  

He would - but I am not understanding what I need to see my doc about ? I mean am I supposed to talk about the symptoms I am facing on this diet or generally tell them about the diet I am following and thus request the tests ?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #35  

It sounds like your thyroid meds may need to be adjusted.
Your doc will need to be consulted about your medical issues in case you need treatment.
My answer to your question is yes. Those are the things to consult with your doctor about. Hashimotos is nothing to play around with.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
It sounds like your thyroid meds may need to be adjusted.
Your doc will need to be consulted about your medical issues in case you need treatment.
My answer to your question is yes. Those are the things to consult with your doctor about. Hashimotos is nothing to play around with.
OK thanks ! Yes I will go see him and also tell them about the diet.

Also, the pharmacy which sells IP products to me has a dedicated pharmacist but I find that he does not know much about Hashimotos issues - i wish that IP would educate their personnel more about these issues so they can let the consumers know about possible soy allergies and recommend the products that will be suitable to our conditions.

Last edited by mahajar; 02-07-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #37  

Bumping an old thread, I've been off this forum for a while.

I've long suspected I had thyroid issues but put off going to the doctors for various reasons. Soon, I'm getting tested, it has gotten so bad.
I had a bit of a immune system shutdown when I did IP the first time.

I'm going to put off ordering alternatives until I know if I need to cut out soy. But while looking at websites I noticed Doctors Best Weightloss has a "soy free" category, which made things really easy. I did a search on another site for "no soy" and it searched both words independently, not helpful.
It's a bummer that almost ALL snacks have soy.

I haven't checked out the EAS shakes yet. But if anyone else has suggestions for soy free alts please share. Thanks.
Ugh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 226/198/162 (or lower)

Height: 5'5"

My Endocrinologist and my GI doc were super happy with my weight loss, because I had Graves disease diagnosed 20 years ago and radioactive iodine that basically "killed" by thyroid leaving me dependent on thyroid supplement meds. I am also insulin resistant, have IBS and other digestive issues. I find it very difficult to lose weight with any diet. My Endo said that I would probably have to reduce my thyroid meds as I lost weight, and she was correct. My gastro said that I should enjoy better digestive health while I was on this diet (little to no gluten, good fat, lots of water and veggies, etc.), as I never have a problem with the "Big C", if you know what I mean. Both have been correct and I am pretty happy that I am regularly losing weight, even if it is slower than usual. I am going to phase off/down just for vacation in the next few weeks, and am curious what will happen. I go for my annual physical next week, and am curious what my Internist will have to say. I'm sure he'll just be happy that I finally found something that works for me and I anticipate he may reduce or discontinue my BP meds. Yay! Finishing out my first year of my 50's looking and feeling better and younger and being healthier is going to be so great! I hope I don't experience problems in the future.
momotrips3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugh73 View Post
Bumping an old thread, I've been off this forum for a while.

I've long suspected I had thyroid issues but put off going to the doctors for various reasons. Soon, I'm getting tested, it has gotten so bad.
I had a bit of a immune system shutdown when I did IP the first time.

I'm going to put off ordering alternatives until I know if I need to cut out soy. But while looking at websites I noticed Doctors Best Weightloss has a "soy free" category, which made things really easy. I did a search on another site for "no soy" and it searched both words independently, not helpful.
It's a bummer that almost ALL snacks have soy.

I haven't checked out the EAS shakes yet. But if anyone else has suggestions for soy free alts please share. Thanks.
EAS has soy.
Restricted snacks without soy protein include Quest bars, Simply Chips, and Simply whey bar.

Go ahead and order your food! Don't wait. Just get the soy free stuff (it's really not good for anyone anyway). There are a few IP items without soy. I just read labels carefully. I order from Nashua nutrition and netrition
Old 07-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I also use vegan non-soy smoothie protein powders from Vega, Garden of Life RAW, and Prairie Naturals.
They consist of complete proteins gathered from seeds such as pumpkin, flax, sunflower, chia, as well as organic brown rice, millet, hemp, chlorella, swiss brown mushroom, pea protein, adzuki beans, lentils. No soy and because they are organic - no GMO's either.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 376 RNY / 283 IP / 247.2 / 160

Height: 5'7"

Default Thyroid Suckage

My thyroid is *not* responding well to IP. Before IP, my narrow range TSH was 2.375, so my doc put me on OTC strength levothyroxine and liothyronine. After 7 weeks on IP, the level shot up to 4.6, which explains why I feel so crappy.

She upped me to prescription level levo & lio; we aren't doing a full panel right now, so I'm not looking for advice on telling my doctor how to do her job. I am curious what people have done while on the diet that helped? My research said to eat lots if healthy fat & full fat dairy and avoid goitrogenic (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc) vegetables--so basically, eat what I can't eat and don't eat the staples of my diet. Ugh. I

plan to talk to my doctor, I am just curious if others found anything that helped. I hope this explains my constant dizziness and lightheadedness, though. I just feel SOOOO crabby, exhausted, etc. I don't see being able to do this and function (as a mom to two toddlers with autism and a grueling therapy schedule). I don't want to have to top IP, either. So...insight welcome.
tamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #42  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I recently attended a 'low Carb Conference' during which leading scientists, nutritionists, physicians, etc gave presentations about various aspects of low carb nutrition. Many were advocating higher fat consumption.

When I asked Dr Eric Westman of Duke University about Ideal Protein which seems like a low fat version on the spectrum of ketogenic nutrition.

He said he would describe it as a high fat diet. Though fat intake is not high, because it causes the body to start consuming its own fat, I then understood how he saw it as high fat nutrition.

I know this doesn't answer your question about thyroid but if you are thinking of giving up the diet on account of perception that it is low fat, you might want to rethink.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #43  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh no! I have to get my thyroid panel this week to see how I have been doing on IP. I suspect that that I am doing fine as I am not having any of those troubling symptoms that you are struggling with.

Lisa may be your best resource here as she had a similar reaction, I think, with thyroid. Maybe private message her and she can go into more detail?

Hang in there! Just as was described in a thread recently, there are many way to lose weight. Getting in the right head space may be the hardest part of all....and you have made SO MUCH progress on that front! You will find the right plan for you no matter what!!!!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #44  

Tamila
From my reading, it isn't IP. It would be ANY extremely low calorie plan.
Also, some people have thyroid problems with Ketogenic diets.
And, many have issues with PSMF diets if on them longer for about 12 weeks.

After everything I've learned from integrative & functional medicine docs and naturopaths, I did several cycles on/off IP p1. It still controls my appetite better than other plans. Earlier this year, I moved to maintenance but my doc said I might need to be willing to gain some (10 or so) while we really get my thyroid working again. The meds get the numbers back in line but don't really fix the problem so I've been doing both meds and dietary changes.

There are mixed thoughts on goitergens but typically the concern is with eating them raw. I eliminated soy protein and also restrict gluten (again, I'm not p1 right now). Gluten restriction is CRUCIAL for Hashimotos.

I'm heading back to p1 for 12 weeks starting on Monday. Hoping to be at goal by Halloween. If not, I'll take another p1 break til January & restart when the universe is on a diet.

Last edited by lisa32989; 07-24-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

Hi Tamila,

I cant remember if you said you had hashimotos? If so and your doc doesnt want to adjust your med levels, talk to them about adding a simple selenium supplement (200mcg) daily-there have been new clinical studies that show this may reduce antibody levels. Also, if you have not already, get your Vitamin D level checked, this is crucial. I know we are taking vit D on IP, but if your levels are below normal you may need to take 10,000 units a day for a short period or increase the dosage over a longer period.

Also, I would advise you that if your doctor refuses to take a full thyroid panel when you are feeling poorly, that you might consider finding another endo. Some docs give in to insurance company pressures and some dont.

This is all just personal experience over a 8 year battle with thyroid.

Last edited by CO_6; 07-24-2014 at 11:19 AM.
CO_6 is offline   Reply With Quote