Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
That sounds amazing. I live in a huge town and don't think we have anything like this. But then I don't do out to eat that much anyway.
LOL, sorry to sound a bit prejudiced, but it might be a 'Canadian' thing....I just can't see it going over in Texas - home of BIG everything and outrageous 'foods' at state fairs, lol.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #32  

Default Interesting article from MyFitnessPal

Here’s some news that might be of interest to anyone who’s ever struggled to get fit—and been met with a sigh and a haughty, “Just eat less and exercise more.” Your intuition—not to mention your experience—might have suggested that things weren’t really so simple—and new research backs that up. Turns out, the science behind the slogan is much more complex than it seems. “If you just try to eat less and exercise more, most people will lose that battle—metabolism wins,” David Ludwig, M.D., Ph.D., director of the New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center at Boston Children’s Hospital, tells Time. Ludwig describes the number of people who can successfully lose weight following that advice as “exceedingly small.” Why? Ludwig and his team say it underestimates the role of how certain foods can affect weight gain—specifically, refined carbohydrates. Eating refined carbs, like certain breads, white rice, pasta, chips, crackers, and so on, raises insulin levels, which in turn can spur cells to store fat, leading to weight gain—to some degree regardless of caloric intake. For a simple illustration of this seeming paradox, consider the work of diabetes researchers like George Campbell. In the mid-1960s, Campbell studied a community of Indian immigrants in South Africa who performed extensive manual labor and ate only around 1600 calories per day, but were, in his words, “enormously fat.” Campbell came to believe that the culprit was their diet, consisting of around 80 pounds of sugar per year (representing approximately 25% of their caloric intake) and refined carbohydrates. Another long-term research project, The Tokelau Island Migration Study (TIMS), which began in the 1960s, studied the impact of imported foods on a Polynesian community. In 20 years, the islanders transitioned from a diet nearly devoid of refined carbohydrates to one in which they played a central role: “Through the 1960s the only noteworthy problems were skin diseases, asthma and infectious diseases. In the decades that followed, just as diabetologist George Campbell predicted, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, gout and cancer appeared.” What does this mean for us? Diet and weight loss will likely always be more complicated than “exercise more, eat less”—no matter what a well-meaning relative or personal trainer might suggest. And it’s worth considering the potential outsize, knock-on effects of refined carbohydrates on our bodies. It is perhaps more valuable to think: “Healthy diet, healthy body”—and to carefully consider whether any food that comes out of a box, as so many refined carbs do, qualifies for the former, or will help achieve the latter. To read more on George Campbell and TIMS: “Obesity is a Disease—Are Refined Carbohydrates the Cause?” by Patrick Earvolino “Nutrition Transition” from Zeroing in on Health “The Tokelau Island Migrant Study: The Final Word” from Whole Health Source -

See more at: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/07....xxB23ykD.dpuf
Old 07-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #33  
Started IP Alt 1/29/14

S/C/G: 234/145/145

Height: 5'4"

I know we have a lot of resources out there regarding phases, etc. however; I've found them outdated and want to have the most up to date information. When does one move to a new phase? Hit your goal and then start phase 2, then phase 3, then phase 4? I know the phase 1 sheets say once you hit your goal weight however; for some reason I thought I've read posters on here starting before they hit their ideal goal. I'm less than 15 from my goal weight, hence the question.
Johnsdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsdeere View Post
I know we have a lot of resources out there regarding phases, etc. however; I've found them outdated and want to have the most up to date information. When does one move to a new phase? Hit your goal and then start phase 2, then phase 3, then phase 4? I know the phase 1 sheets say once you hit your goal weight however; for some reason I thought I've read posters on here starting before they hit their ideal goal. I'm less than 15 from my goal weight, hence the question.
From what I've seen it's mainly from those who have 5ish pounds to go and feel comfortable at their new present weight especially if they have had a long stall and just want to make sure they can maintain their goal weight without constant struggle. There's a bit of a chat on the maintainers threads about our 'achievable' goal and our 'healthy maintainable' goal. Some weight may be achievable but will be a struggle to maintain - it should be in our healthy range and yet be a weight our body wants to be at fairly comfortably. In my case if I go down to 124 I will still be in my achievable 'healthy normal' range, but it would take constant struggle to stay there, whereas I can easily keep myself at goal of 132 and still feel good & have a healthy BMI, etc. I was at the top of my goal range when I started P2 because I had a stall, but I actually lost weight in P2 & 3 and lost more inches in maintenance as I started to firm up more. That may not be the case for others though, just my experience.
Some others phase off when going on vacation and then get back to plan to lose the rest, and others need a break due to physical issues such as thyroid problems.
If one has never been a healthy weight it can make choosing a goal difficult and it may have to be re-evaluated as one gets closer. But don't just settle if you know you can hit your goal before moving to P2, etc.

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 07-21-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 243/221/143

Height: 4'11"

Trying to make it thru day 1. Lunch was yucky. Chicken noodle soup kind of tasted like chemicals. I am looking forward to supper (real food). Any suggestions on lunch tomorrow? I have wide variety to choose from.
fitb4fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #36  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitb4fifty View Post
Trying to make it thru day 1. Lunch was yucky. Chicken noodle soup kind of tasted like chemicals. I am looking forward to supper (real food). Any suggestions on lunch tomorrow? I have wide variety to choose from.
I think IP preferences are varied. All the protein foods have a detectable "taste" that I got used to pretty quickly (probably what you tasted). There are a lot of interesting IP pack recipe threads on here to help doctor them to your liking. I am a big fan of the IP BBQ chips (croustilles sp?). I stopped with the soups mostly because they never sounded good with it being summer. I made little happy/neutral/sad faces in my IP food diary to help me remember what I thought about the foods as it's easy to forget! GL!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #37  
Member-started IP 3/15/14

S/C/G: 273/183/160

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Ugh! Chicken Noodle is gross (in my opinion). I like the other chicken soup but I do add chicken broth to it. Love the bar-b-q chips as well as the potato puree. I normally make a potato pancake with it. Hope the rest of your day goes well!
SophieLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 229/211/145

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
I didn't like the soups either. Prefer the chips, LOVE the wafers(those are my all time favorite), I like the omelets made with spinach, also surprisingly I liked the chicken patty and then used it in a large salad. I really didn't care for the vegetable chili either.
kathy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #39  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
I didn't mind the chicken noodle, didn't like the plain chicken. I added roasted red pepper purée to the tomato basil but couldn't eat it on its own. I live off of the crisps, wafers and vanilla drink. I like choc soy puffs too. The apple cinnamon is a big portion but I don't like to waste my restricted a on them.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #40  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemma51 View Post
I too have never been a sweets person. I can pass up any kind of sweet but, offer me a chip or some bread and I couldn't resist. Now I am truly in love with chocolate brownie Quest Bars. I look so forward to it everyday. I think it's just because it's a different taste sensation after all the veggies and protein.
I was all about bread and potatoes and I think IP has made me realize that a starch with dinner is not needed to feel full and satisfied. Hoping when I am eating more variety I won't crave the wafer so much. I haven't gotten excited over any bars, including quest bars.

I have been living off sheer willpower today. Made a burger patty for dinner. It usually helps me take the edge off. And a Perrier as it fulfills my desire for a pop. Only 90 minutes until snack time!
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

canadjineh - thanks for posting the article. I agree with it being so much more than "eat less exercise more" and have found that it is more about putting the right kind of fuel into my engine.

I have had a busy weekend helping out my sister with her babies and have seem to caught a bug that I'm hoping that I did not pass on. There has been a lot of runs for me in the past 24hrs and not the kind with running shoes. Sticking to shakes and no veggie to avoid the extra fiber and just had a piece of plan chicken so hopefully things will calm down.

Congrats to all that are doing so well and staying OP!
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #42  
Started June 29, 2014

S/C/G: 184.5/167/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat1015 View Post
Way to go!!!!

I have been on IP for a month now and I have been here long enough to create a ticker! Woohoo! haha. I just had my weigh in today and I am down 26 pounds in the 4 weeks that I have been on IP and I am LOVING IT! I still have a long way to go but I'm committed to being 100% OP.
Congrats, that's awesome!

Michelle
MrPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

No more brownie baking for me!!! That was pure torture!! But I survived unscathed!!!
Kellyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #44  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Quote:
I just had my 2nd weigh in after day 12 - I have avoided the Chicken Noodle Soup because it looks like it will taste very fake-y. I think that Leek Soup and the Mushroom Soup are acceptable for a lunch with a salad and veggies on the side.

Mostly, I really like the Chocolate Drink and the Cappucino Drink. I make them from the packet (as opposed to ready to drink version) and I use about twice the amount of water to make a greater quality that still has a good flavor. If the amount of water I use makes it taste diluted, I add a packet of stevia.

I make the puddings into drinks too -- somehow more volume that takes longer to finish off seems to help me feel more satiated. And extra water in any form is a good thing.

If you have access to a stove top, there are 2 other options I find good for lunch -- First, I have made the omelet for lunch several times -- I coarse-chop asparagus from my garden and lightly sauté it in the nonstick skillet with the allotted oil for the day, and add some Perfect Pinch garlic & herb salt free seasoning or Mrs Dash along with the sea salt allotment. The quantity is a good amount and I find the omelet pretty acceptable in taste and definitely filling.

The 2nd is Rotini, cooked tender and then mixed with veggies -- I have lots of zuke and summer squash from the garden, or broccoli, cauliflower - generally steamed and seasoned with garlic and other seasonings. Tomatoes would be a good addition if you have 'sometimes veggies' remaining on your weekly allotment.

This is not a gourmet program, but there are so many good recipe ideas in the Sticky thread, and I think these foods are notably better tasting than Nutrisystem.

I hope you can zero in on some packets you like. I have to say that none of the fruit drink packets are for me - My coach allowed me to trade them in for other food items when I went for my first week weigh in. I replaced of all those.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #45  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Been MIA, super busy... following the plan pretty well, but working at the bar is well too much temptation some nights lol so I am ready for regular work to start. Still losing just much slower! LOL
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote