Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #1  

Unhappy Surgery and Ketosis

I have been on the IP Phase 1 for 2 weeks and love the diet and of course, tomorrow I have a short outpatient procedure but I will be on a glucose IV all morning. Does anyone know how long it takes to recover and get back into a fat burning mode? I'm so sad - I was doing so well! Thanks!
Jamiem4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #2  
professor hardy harr!

Height: 5"1.5 (don't forget the .5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiem4 View Post
I have been on the IP Phase 1 for 2 weeks and love the diet and of course, tomorrow I have a short outpatient procedure but I will be on a glucose IV all morning. Does anyone know how long it takes to recover and get back into a fat burning mode? I'm so sad - I was doing so well! Thanks!
It won't take long. Be sure to eat for healing your body and get back on the horse when your doctor says its ok. There will be mild to moderate water retention from the IV, this will clear up quickly as well. Remember to always care for your temple and when your healing is complete the protocol will be waiting for you
canadiancandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #3  
maintaining since 9/2013

I agree with canadian. And there's no such thing as minor surgery, imho--it's tremendously energy intensive to undergo any surgery and heal from it as well.
Part of the natural reaction is for your body to retain water since it senses an injury, whether or not you have IV fluid. But that will self correct soon enough. After all, it's fat that counts!

1 liter of IV fluid often has 5% glucose (& often no glucose at all). Let's say you have 1 liter of 5% glucose; that's 5 grams of glucose per 100 mL, or 50 g/liter. 50 grams of glucose at about 4 calories/gram = a whopping 200 calories.

I would guess that this won't even kick you out of ketosis. You'll probably burn up the calories right away. But more importantly, the main thing is to have the nutrients necessary to recover & heal properly. While I have I have heard people report that ketosis is fine, I haven't heard anyone recommend severe calorie restriction around surgery!

Good wishes and hope you're soon back on your feet & back on P1!

Last edited by mars735; 07-16-2014 at 08:47 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #4  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Ketosis takes you 3 days to get back into once you're back on track. Be sure to heal and do what you need to do to get well. This weight loss thing is a journey that you are just starting. Taking a week off to recuperate, in the long run, will be nothing at all.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote