Chicken Soup, Leek, Mushroom Recipe Ideas Im Bored Please Help!!

• I am a little over 40lbs from my goal. I have been bored for some time just out of convenience to the busy schedule with kids sports. A friend gave me a bunch of food they weren't using anymore, but these are normally ones I don't buy anymore. I know there are a bunch of different recipes out there that I don't even know about so I would love some ideas of what to do with these THANKS!!!
  • Go to the first post of the Daily Thread (the same first post on any day) and there are a bunch of links to various recipe threads.

Soup packets are often turned into flat bread and filled with sautéed veggies. Mix packet and 1/2 tsp baking powder. Add spices (garlic powder, pepper, cayenne, etc) and add water to make a pancake batter consistency. Use a NON-STICK pan (and add a little spray!) and spread the mix thinly in the pan to make a large pancake. Use MEDIUM heat... you cannot rush these. The high protein content will stick if the heat is too high.

Have Fun!
  • I make a killer leek and potato soup.

2tlbs butter (Can be replaced by oils or water)
    4 Leeks (cut up the white bottoms only, you don't want the green parts)
    4 Celery stalks
    6 Medium, peeled potatoes
    2 Carrot Sticks
    Chives (about... 25 sprigs? Depends on how much you like chives! I've also not added them).
    1 Onion (if desired, it still tastes good without!)
    2 garlic cloves
    Thyme (fresh or dried, I sprinkle in, I think it's about... 1-2 tsp)
    3 cups low sodium Veggy Broth
    3 cups low sodium Chicken Broth
    Salt and Pepper (to taste)
    Bay Leaf ( or two)
    1/2 cub low fat sour cream OR 1/2 cup heavy cream, depending on preference. (I do the sour cream but it's not bad with heavy cream, just a tad more calories I think - you can also leave this out completely, as this just adds to creamy texture with a tad more flavor, but I've done it with just some hot water before, still yummy!)

Cut up all the veggies. Chop chop!
    Saute the onions and leeks on the butter in a big pot, until the onion is see threw and the leeks look softer. Then Add the celery and continue. Then, add ALL the veggies, broth, and spices, basically everything except the sour cream. Boil until the carrots and potatoes are soft (about 20-30 minutes) Also, if needed to cover fully, sometimes I add water or more broth. It seems to vary with the size of the leeks and potatoes, just enough liquid to cover the veggies. Keep the bay leafs on top! Boil covered.

After everything is soft, remove from heat, dump in a blender (remove the bayleafs first!) and puree until you get a good consistency. Once done, add back to heat, (low) add the sour cream, stir and add any salt and pepper to taste.

You have to like onions for this soup. It's yummy though.

Calories... ish... 2-3 per serving? I change up my recipe a lot, so I just scan in all the items into MFP and then make a serving. Last time calories were 212 per 1/6. Mostly veggies!
  • Mmmm .... this looks very good! Sadly though for us,we have to keep this recipe until maintenance as this IP thread is a bit more restrictive than just "low carb". No sour cream, butter or cooked onions until a bit later on in the program. However, I'm going to cut and paste this and give it a try in a few months!
  • I edited it a tad, as I totally didn't realize I was in the IP area (I go to "new posts" I usually check before talking about recipe's or offering advice... like it would suck to tell someone in the Atkins area to eat rice cakes to fill them up, totally against their diet).

The recipe I originally used didn't have an onion at all, I just added it because I LOVE onions, and I think it gave it some more kick. I've also forgotten to purchase cream before, so once I just added some more water, it still tasted just as yummy. I've also been told you can saute the leeks (and onion) in water with oils (like olive oil) instead of butter.
  • Quote: I edited it a tad, as I totally didn't realize I was in the IP area (I go to "new posts" I usually check before talking about recipe's or offering advice... like it would suck to tell someone in the Atkins area to eat rice cakes to fill them up, totally against their diet).

The recipe I originally used didn't have an onion at all, I just added it because I LOVE onions, and I think it gave it some more kick. I've also forgotten to purchase cream before, so once I just added some more water, it still tasted just as yummy. I've also been told you can saute the leeks (and onion) in water with oils (like olive oil) instead of butter.
    No potato or carrot allowed either!
  • Quote: I edited it a tad, as I totally didn't realize I was in the IP area (I go to "new posts" I usually check before talking about recipe's or offering advice... like it would suck to tell someone in the Atkins area to eat rice cakes to fill them up, totally against their diet).

You went to a lot of trouble though to help us with a great recipe. I still am going to try it at some point in time. Thanks for trying to tweak it though -- your time is appreciated

It might be worth a try with no carrots and the cauliflower instead of potatoes....
  • One of my favorites right now is the chicken soup with ginger, a dash of soy sauce, pinch of red pepper flakes and chopped sauted bok choy. You could probably add a lot of other veggies to it too and maybe a bit of chicken. If you make it ahead of time and reheat, the soup gets a little thicker so it's like a sauce. Could be good over cauli rice as well.
  • I love to saute mushrooms, fresh garlic, and red peppers (sometimes I add zucchini pieces) and then pour chicken soup or leek soup over it. I then add some curry powder and it is very yummy to me!