3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Probably a stupid question but concerned

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 89

Default Probably a stupid question but concerned

Hello Everyone,
I have been on IP for almost 2 months now and lost 16 pounds. 4 pounds to goal. I switched to Alternative plan P1 from regular plan 2 weeks ago.
My last weigh in left me with many different thoughts.
My weigh in is usually on Thursdays and before my last weigh in on June 12th, I went out with friends on June 7th and June 8th and I took less than 1/2 cup of long grain white rice with other veggies of course on Saturday and on Sunday I took a cup of lentils in the afternoon and chicken wings + 1/2 cup lentils also at night.

Now at my weigh in on Thursday , I find out that my fat percentage went up and I gained a pound. So if two days of very little rice and lentils could do this kind of damage, I am worried about maintenance phase already. If I start eating lentils or rice will I gain all my weight back? or is my body very sensitive to this diet?
Ofcourse by the time I thought about this and wanted to contact my coach she is on vacation this week so I will check with her next week but couldn't wait to hear some positive answers from maintainers. Please tell me I am worried unnecessarily :-(
hope2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Started IP 2/13/13
 
SylviesGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 589

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2781 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have been on IP for almost 2 months now and lost 16 pounds. 4 pounds to goal. I switched to Alternative plan P1 from regular plan 2 weeks ago.
My last weigh in left me with many different thoughts.
My weigh in is usually on Thursdays and before my last weigh in on June 12th, I went out with friends on June 7th and June 8th and I took less than 1/2 cup of long grain white rice with other veggies of course on Saturday and on Sunday I took a cup of lentils in the afternoon and chicken wings + 1/2 cup lentils also at night.

Now at my weigh in on Thursday , I find out that my fat percentage went up and I gained a pound. So if two days of very little rice and lentils could do this kind of damage, I am worried about maintenance phase already. If I start eating lentils or rice will I gain all my weight back? or is my body very sensitive to this diet?
Ofcourse by the time I thought about this and wanted to contact my coach she is on vacation this week so I will check with her next week but couldn't wait to hear some positive answers from maintainers. Please tell me I am worried unnecessarily :-(
Your body is working differently right now than when it will be on maintenance. You are (presumably) in ketosis. Your body is not as efficient at burning carbs (such as rice and lentils) as it is at burning body fat, hence the rapid gain. That is why these foods are not part of P1. Get back to P1 eating and you will see that gain melt back away. The plan is well thought out and works if you follow it, the closer the better. You must bring your body out of ketosis carefully or your metabolism will have no idea what to do with those carbs and, basically, just shove them anywhere. Take care to phase off properly before you add in any off-program foods. I have been on P3 for over a week -- eating french toast or pancakes for breakfast -- and haven't gained. My body is out of ketosis and is burning the carbs/food in a more regular fashion now. Hope this helps.
__________________



NO GRIT, NO PEARL.
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Started IP 04/22/2013
 
Ruth Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,780

S/C/G: 257/132/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Default

hope2781 - when you say you're on the alternative P1 are you talking about using alternative products or adding dairy and grains to P1?

I suspect the weight gain is sodium related, especially if you didn't cook the food yourself. I go up a pound or two if I overdo the sodium. Just drink extra water for a few days and it should go away.

If you are doing the alternative P1 with extra food (i.e. not just alternative products) you are not in ketosis and so those extra foods wouldn't effect that.

I wouldn't put two much stock in the scale that says you gained a pound of fat. You'd have to eat ~3500 extra calories to gain a pound of fat and I highly doubt you ate that much.

Stick strictly to plan (whichever one you are on) and drink lots and lots of water and I'll bet that pound will be gone in a day or two.
__________________


Started maintenance 05/03/2014

Nothing is impossible. In fact, the word itself says 'I'm Possible'! - Aubrey Hepburn
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 89

Default

Thanks Sylviesgirl, your words are encouraging. I will definitely phase off properly.

Ruthann- I am doing alternative plan P1 for diabetics with 3 group choices, the plan from IP itself. So you are saying, I am not in Ketosis if I follow Alternative plan P1 ? But I thought we will still be in Ketosis mode even with alternative plan. I will up my water intake for sure.
hope2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
Started IP 04/22/2013
 
Ruth Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,780

S/C/G: 257/132/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2781 View Post
Thanks Sylviesgirl, your words are encouraging. I will definitely phase off properly.

Ruthann- I am doing alternative plan P1 for diabetics with 3 group choices, the plan from IP itself. So you are saying, I am not in Ketosis if I follow Alternative plan P1 ? But I thought we will still be in Ketosis mode even with alternative plan. I will up my water intake for sure.
Right - the alternative P1 plan for diabetics means you are not in ketosis (at least that's my understanding, someone will correct me if I'm wrong please). Your losses will be a little slower than the standard P1 but should still be good.
__________________


Started maintenance 05/03/2014

Nothing is impossible. In fact, the word itself says 'I'm Possible'! - Aubrey Hepburn

Last edited by Ruth Ann : 06-16-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
canadjineh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,807

S/C/G: 163/134/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 50 yrs old

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2781 View Post
Thanks Sylviesgirl, your words are encouraging. I will definitely phase off properly.

Ruthann- I am doing alternative plan P1 for diabetics with 3 group choices, the plan from IP itself. So you are saying, I am not in Ketosis if I follow Alternative plan P1 ? But I thought we will still be in Ketosis mode even with alternative plan. I will up my water intake for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Right - the alternative P1 plan for diabetics means you are not in ketosis (at least that's my understanding, someone will correct me if I'm wrong please). Your losses will be a little slower than the standard P1 but should still be good.
I did the Alternative P1/2 and never was technically in ketosis as most people think of it, even on regular P1 when I first started. Most people think of ketosis as getting that pink colour on the Ketostix. Excreting in the urine. Your body will be producing less ketones than on regular P1 so you may be burning all yours up. I did. If you lose weight over the long term - you are in ketosis.

Like Ruth Ann said, it is very likely sodium water weight and will come off very quickly. Just be patient and treat your Alternative plan at 100% just like you would the regular plan. Don't try to second guess - just drink all your water and follow the plan . You will not lose as quickly as someone on regular plan, but remember that you need to do it this way due to your metabolic disorder, it's healthier for you to do Alternative plan. Don't put too much stock in the reading the body fat analyzer gives at the clinic. They can be notoriously unreliable and can change with a slight change in position of arms or tightness of grip. Just use the measurements and the fit of clothes and in your case, blood sugar levels as your measures of success. The weight WILL come off, don't worry about maintenance yet - it's not as bad as its purported to be (ask the rest of us on the maintenance threads, lol) Hugs and hang in there...

Liana

Hope: I just noticed that you had starches twice in one day? you need to have one of each dairy/fruit/starch - that may be why you had a little bump? Make sure you measure carefully too - it can be a little deceiving if others dish up for us and we estimate the amounts. Sorry I can't remember if you do have diabetes or if you are just using that plan. Please ignore my 'metabolic' comment if you are not in that situation.
__________________


At goal or below since March 5, 2014

Last edited by canadjineh : 06-16-2014 at 02:40 PM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 89

Default

Thanks Liana. I don't have diabetes but following the Alternative plan as it is easy to stick to.
My clothes fit the same and I didn't notice any changes whatsoever but looking at the fat percentage up and 1 pound weight gain, I was very scared that if i start eating regular food in maintenance then I will be in trouble.
I had planned that I will Dal(lentils) and roti( wheat bread) for maintenance. Now I am worried about the lentils altogether but I will keep my hopes high and i will stick to the plan.
hope2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14
 
ChipnDip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 671

S/C/G: 249/154,5/160

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2781 View Post
Thanks Liana. I don't have diabetes but following the Alternative plan as it is easy to stick to.
My clothes fit the same and I didn't notice any changes whatsoever but looking at the fat percentage up and 1 pound weight gain, I was very scared that if i start eating regular food in maintenance then I will be in trouble.
I had planned that I will Dal(lentils) and roti( wheat bread) for maintenance. Now I am worried about the lentils altogether but I will keep my hopes high and i will stick to the plan.
Since you ate this without phasing off first it will effect you differently than if you were in maintenance. When you are in phase 4, you also won't mix carbs (rice or lentils) with high fats (wings). Wings should actually be saved for your fun day too.


We really need to name these two things differently!
__________________




WI 1: 8.5, WI 2: -6.5, WI 3: -4.5, WI 4: -2, WI 5: -2, WI 6: -3, WI 7: -3.5, WI 8: -2.5, WI 9: -2, WI 10: -4, WI 11: -1, WI 12: -3.5, WI 13: -2, WI 14: -3.5, WI 14: -2.5, WI 15: -2, WI 16:-2.5, WI 17: -2.5, WI 18: -4.5, WI 19:-2, WI 20: -.5, WI 21:-2, WI 22: -3, WI 23: -2.5, WI 23/24: -4, WI 25: -2.5, WI 26: -1, WI 27: -3, WI 28: -1.5, WI 29: -3.5, WI 30/31:-2.5, WI 32:-1
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2