Old 07-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #106  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizziBea View Post
Hi y'all
I am a newbie and I have a question for the 90%ers. As my coach is very much in the 100% camp (obviously), she does not listen to concerns like this one.

Anyhoo, I want to succeed on this diet and make it livable for myself. The thing I am struggling most with is the veggies, getting all 4 cups in. I just can't stomach plain raw vegetables most of the time, and the oil allowance is so low that it's hard to cook all my veggies. I like salad, but I just have to use some kind of dressing to enjoy it. To me Walden Farms tastes like chemical-y crap that I should not be putting in my body. I like to make my own dressing with my allotted 2 tsp olive oil, apple cider vinegar, spices, and mustard. The problem is that I only like really mild mustards. My absolute, hands-down favorite is Hellman's Dijonaise. Per serving it has 5 calories, 0g fat, 0g sugar, and >1g carbs. It does have sugar as an ingredient. I am sure to measure out only 1 serving of dijonaise when I make dressing, and I use this dressing about every other day. So my question, how bad is this really? If I am still in ketosis, can I consider myself all good on the sugar-added-from-mustard front?

Thanks for your help!
Did you mean < less than 1 carb? Even our Splenda and stevia has 1 carb in the powdered form. Obviously you will do better without it. Where does sugar show up on the ingredient list? Try going a week without it and see what your results are like.

I am also one of those people who uses some extra oil so engines when I roast my veggies. If you buy the bottle that turns it into a spray, you will use less.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizziBea View Post
Hi y'all
I am a newbie and I have a question for the 90%ers. As my coach is very much in the 100% camp (obviously), she does not listen to concerns like this one.

Anyhoo, I want to succeed on this diet and make it livable for myself. The thing I am struggling most with is the veggies, getting all 4 cups in. I just can't stomach plain raw vegetables most of the time, and the oil allowance is so low that it's hard to cook all my veggies. I like salad, but I just have to use some kind of dressing to enjoy it. To me Walden Farms tastes like chemical-y crap that I should not be putting in my body. I like to make my own dressing with my allotted 2 tsp olive oil, apple cider vinegar, spices, and mustard. The problem is that I only like really mild mustards. My absolute, hands-down favorite is Hellman's Dijonaise. Per serving it has 5 calories, 0g fat, 0g sugar, and >1g carbs. It does have sugar as an ingredient. I am sure to measure out only 1 serving of dijonaise when I make dressing, and I use this dressing about every other day. So my question, how bad is this really? If I am still in ketosis, can I consider myself all good on the sugar-added-from-mustard front?

Thanks for your help!
As others have said, it depends on how true to the protocol you want to be. Your daily carb intake can more by drinking two chocolate shakes per day instead of vanilla than it will using one serving of the dijionaise. You also have to know yourself and how able you are to set limits.

If you know the science behind IP you can make informed choices on additional foods. If you haven't already, I strongly recommend reading Dr. Tran's book. I'm pretty sure it is at the top of the daily thread. He didn't initially design the plan with so narrow a selection of choices.

I decided early on that occasional cheese and bottled dressing (0 or 1 carb per serving) were exceptions I would allow myself. I have never used a large quantity and my body has never suggested it was enough to risk ketosis.

You need to know if you can stick to the right side of the line or not. Will a little become way too much? If so, then sticking to protocol as your coach suggests is better. If you can use just one serving occasionally, and don't mind the few extra calories involved, then go for it.

One last thing - Ken's Italian has NO sugar in it. I couldn't stand the strange chemically sweet walden farms stuff either. After reading nearly every bottle on the shelf, I was so happy to have found an alternative that doesn't risk ketosis. I just count it as my oil for the day.
Wahoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #108  
Rebooter

S/C/G: 155/143/135

Height: 5'6"

Mind if I jump in? I'm on a reboot of IP (just finished week 1) and having a lot of trouble this time. I can stick to it 100% but it makes me grumpy. Using butter, a little cheese and/or 3-4 oz of wine makes it way easier for me to stay on this. So if I don't make a goal quickly, at least I will make it, rather than giving up. I love being in company with all of you awesome folks!
AeRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 170.4/157.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Glad to see the 90%ers thread is getting some use again! I know every person is going to be different, but (in response to previous question about a little sugar in dressing) I have not had any trouble staying in ketosis even with some things that are definitely not OP. My indulgences: wine (too much - must cut back!) and I found some Extra Light cheddar cheese at the grocery store. 2.5 grams of fat per serving and less that 1 gram of carbs. I'd recommend buying some keto sticks and making sure you stay in ketosis after. If I'd been kicked out ketosis after an indulgence, I would know that was something I could not have ever on the diet. I know I seem to stay in ketosis really well, but that doesn't mean I lose as much weight as I would without my indulgences.

I left Tuesday night for the beach and came back on Saturday, and got to spend the whole time with my boyfriend, his awesome daughter and his parents (who paid for the condo! What great parents!

I made sure to bring packets with me but also decided beforehand what I would allow myself and what I wouldn't. I pretty much decided that I would make sure to have snacks with me and that under no circumstances would I eat bread, pizza, pasta, rice or high carb snacks. Other than that, I'd try to make good choices beyond that. Boyfriend and I ended up with an afternoon to ourselves on the beach and went looking for some food and drinks. Had my wine, and I ordered some chicken tenders (fried) and a salad. I only ate about half the tenders, and all the salad. Didn't touch the fries that they put on the plate even though I had subbed the salad.

Had a fancy dinner with the boyfriend the next night and completely avoided the bread basket. Dinner was three courses, and the first was a carrot fritter thing. Not OP, but was delicious and nothing obviously high-carb. Had a pork tenderloin for the entree. Of course, the last course was dessert. The tiramisu was delicious. I ate about three bites, and had the rest packed up. I ate a couple more bites the next day and we tossed the leftovers when we left.

I anxiously tried my keto sticks when I got home and the first one I think showed I was only slightly in ketosis, but wasn't sure if I was just kidding myself. Tried again yesterday morning, and was back to a good number of ketones. I also didn't gain any weight! Didn't lose any either, but... it's vacation.

Anyhow, I was really pleased. Snacks on the beach were IP packets, or some ham and cheese rolled up with no bread. I think setting those strict "may not haves" but allowing myself flexibility outside of that made my trip a lot more pleasant. Now, time to go back to actually being 90%, instead of the 60% or so I've been.
NotCoolEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 177.7/178.1/150

Height: 5'4

It sounds like you did pretty good! I know that I will try as best I can on vacation but I don't want to be stressing. I think my goal will just be to at least stay the same weight for the week.

Lately I have been holding onto the same weight and not losing because I have been skipping meals. I haven't been prepared. The good thing is I go to the cupboard, look at the carb stuff and close it again. I can't bring myself to eat it so I go and get another IP packet. There's pros and cons to that. Pros are I'm not gaining anything, cons are I'm not losing and it is going to get expensive!

Today is all about prep!!
Sheena1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #111  
Rebooter

I am so with you re: prep. I find myself not eating because I can't grab something quick. I mean, I have premade choc drinks but I can only stomach so many of them. Feeling pretty dejected today.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #112  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Who would have ever thought we would skip food on this diet but lately I haven't been getting all my food in either. I need to do better..
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #113  
maintaining since 9/2013

AeRose, Are you experiencing a low carb low mood? Hope tomorrow is better
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #114  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

I did some skipping too. I did do some prep today so I can try to avoid it. It's usually worse when I'm out on the road or running errands. I get busy and forget but I shall try again. I try to take this diet one day at a time though. In NSVs I did go down a size. Woot!
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Looove your new picture Mizzthingaling! I liked your hair in the last one, and the baby blue looks neat in this one. Pardon me for being personal, but is it a wig? (I only ask because I have several in all lengths & colours. It's way easier on your hair than doing a permanent strip & change every other week, lol) Congrats on your 'downsizing.'

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #116  

Dang it... I ate popcorn and choc at movie last night.... gained a pound. I deserve it. I was out of IP salt and vinegar chips. I have to say that movie night is my downfall. I just might have to skip it for awhile. Grrrr
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #117  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena1966 View Post
Dang it... I ate popcorn and choc at movie last night.... gained a pound. I deserve it. I was out of IP salt and vinegar chips. I have to say that movie night is my downfall. I just might have to skip it for awhile. Grrrr
Are you using any alternatives? If so may I suggest these? They are a bit higher in fat then IP guidelines, but still not too high in calories. They taste like chocolate covered rice crispies, fulfill chocolate cravings while being crunch, and take a while to eat. I find them the perfect movie snack while others are crunching on popcorn.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store...les-7-box.html
Old 07-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #118  

I will have to order those!! They look yummy!

I would love it if someone would actually do a straightforward list of what to order from nashua nutrition. It hurts my brain to figure out all the numbers and restricted vs unrestricted etc. Ok... so I'm lazy...
Old 07-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #119  
Rebooter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
AeRose, Are you experiencing a low carb low mood? Hope tomorrow is better
Thanks! I think my mind has condensed my IP experience from spring of 2013 into "I lost a lot of weight in 2 days!"

Which is totally not true, and I know it. I just forget. Trying to take it a day at a time!

Thank you so much for your cheerleading!!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #120  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena1966 View Post
I will have to order those!! They look yummy!

I would love it if someone would actually do a straightforward list of what to order from nashua nutrition. It hurts my brain to figure out all the numbers and restricted vs unrestricted etc. Ok... so I'm lazy...
Someone actually did this. I think it is in the current alternative products page, or possibly the one before.