3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Home of the 100% (NO CHEAT ZONE) Volume 33 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/296353-home-100%25-no-cheat-zone-volume-33-a.html)

SylviesGirl 06-05-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth Ann (Post 5018217)
Thanks guys for the nice words on my new pic - when I look at where I started and where I am now it's still hard to believe I did it. I had kind of forgotten that I'm a small person since I hadn't been one in so long!

Staying 100% was the best thing I could have done for myself and all the advice, strategies and encouragement I got right here made all the difference in the world for me. I knew when I started that I wanted to do IP right - making my own choices and doing things my way got me to the point I was and it was time to let go and just follow the program. Not always easy, but so very, very worth it.

Saw my doc the other day and she is just thrilled. My stats are all dead bang perfect. I truly avoided some major health problems.

And after being on maintenance for a month I think I'm getting over some of my fears that I'm just going to gain it all back! My scale stays within a couple of pounds either way of 135 and I have not had the cravings or the need to mindlessly munch come back.

So anyone who gets tempted to stray - hang in there! It can be done - I know, I did it!

RuthAnn -- This is so wonderful to read. It's wonderful that you have restored your health. What an amazing plan this truly is. I'm so glad that maintenance is going well for you, too. LOVE the new pic!

Ruth Ann 06-05-2014 10:21 PM

Thanks SylviesGirl! It really is an amazing plan!

And I have to tell you again how thrilled I am for you and how proud we all are of you - you have done so great!

IP43 06-05-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamila (Post 5018069)
I'm curious--what do the non-100ers tend to do?
Still, I am curious about the 90% mindset, since I am new. Maybe someone who has been there and is now a 100%er can share insight?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 5018072)
Our focus here is in staying 100%, rather than focusng on (or discussing) the variations others may be making.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipnDip (Post 5018168)
Check out the 90% thread.

There are lots of people who will talk about this issue with you tamila - like on the Daily, or the 90% chat. For some of us (me included) even 'talking' about cheats etc. can lead to wanting to do that.... This is a thread where people know they can come and know talk is only about 100% focus. It's a great place to stay motivated and see/hear how the people who are 100% do it. I am not 100% all the time, but this thread isn't where I would ask or discuss those issues. Come join us here to get motivated on what to do to be successful -- especially as a newbie :D These folks know their stuff! They help keep me focused every day! And every day I'm getting closer to being back 100%....

tamila 06-06-2014 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IP43 (Post 5018300)
There are lots of people who will talk about this issue with you tamila - like on the Daily, or the 90% chat. For some of us (me included) even 'talking' about cheats etc. can lead to wanting to do that.... This is a thread where people know they can come and know talk is only about 100% focus. It's a great place to stay motivated and see/hear how the people who are 100% do it. I am not 100% all the time, but this thread isn't where I would ask or discuss those issues. Come join us here to get motivated on what to do to be successful -- especially as a newbie :D These folks know their stuff! They help keep me focused every day! And every day I'm getting closer to being back 100%....

Thank you for your reply. The "Go ask 90%ers" felt really harsh and cold.

I'm not asking because I want to not be 100%. I'm asking because I don't understand the mindset of 90% and wondered if people could help me understand it to help navigate these boards. I haven't even looked at that thread because while I wonder what that mindset is all about I just feel like it would be too tempting to be like, "Well, mayyyybe some extra good fat isn't wrong..." or whatever I might find there, since I assume the 90% decision would come with lots of justifications. The 100% mindset certainly does!

But that's the deal--is 90% some grass fed butter? Or is it allowing one Oreo? I don't really know what people even mean by cheats. Extra protein? Or some sugar? I can't understand commiting to this process after so many failed diets but then "cheating" so I wondered if people could help me understand what that's about and how they ended up in the 100%. But again, I don't want to have that mindset, I just don't get it.

My coach warned me, verbally and in the literature, that these boards need to be navigated with care. Lots of people have opinions about what works for them (l was shocked to find the IP board had so many people eating alternatives to IP food, for example); her clinic is about being all in or not. No judgment if not, just put your resources where you'll be all in. Having a 100%, actual IP meals & the rest of the protocol mindset ensures you aren't wasting your money and everyone's time. I get that and want that.

I'm doing this diet bc I was diagnosed insulin resistant. After so much futile effort for the last 4 years I finally have hope that this will work. I can lose weight but also experience HEALTH. But I'm new here and figuring this all out. There's seems to be an "us and them" divide between 90% and 100% and I've found that unnerving, like already there is a society of worthy and unworthy. I've been 100% but if I eff up and eat a cheese stick will I be unworthy of the 100% label? And already the instinct to hide my failure hits when I haven't even failed. So I guess I just wanted to understand why 90%ers do things their way, but with compassion and understanding; I certainly feel tempted to be self-righteous and "better" if I can rock star this whole IP deal.

But ultimately, don't we all have the same goal? This reply helped so much, because the initial cold replies made me question if these boards are actually for support or just another place in this world where you only have value and worth if you prove it by being / getting skinny. So thank you for explaining with compassion!

ChipnDip 06-06-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamila (Post 5018357)
Thank you for your reply. The "Go ask 90%ers" felt really harsh and cold.

But ultimately, don't we all have the same goal? This reply helped so much, because the initial cold replies made me question if these boards are actually for support or just another place in this world where you only have value and worth if you prove it by being / getting skinny. So thank you for explaining with compassion!

Sorry you felt I was harsh and cold. I was actually trying to be short and sweet and not get into the details on a thread where they don't want to talk about it. If you are curious about a 90%, it is best to go read there. The 100% people don't want to read or talk about cheats and in your previous post you listed quite a few of them.

I actually follow both threads because I strive for 100% but some days I haven't made it. Some 90% plan cheats and start the diet knowing they will have them. I don't view it that way at all, but I occasionally slip. I feel welcome on both threads as I don't talk about my slips on this one.

Your 100% plan is perfect and exactly what it should be for success. If you do "eff" up and need support, you will find it on the daily thread.

Ruth Ann 06-06-2014 08:10 AM

There have been times where the only thread I was reading was this thread. Especially around the holidays, the talk of cheats (planned and unplanned) was just too much for me. Not because it made me want to cheat, but because it made me sad that anyone would throw away weeks of progress for a holiday that happens once a year.

BUT I'm not in charge of anyone else's weight loss - I'm in charge of mine. 100% worked for me and it worked exactly as IP is designed to do. I lost the weight, I lost it quickly and I learned much better eating habits. I will encourage everyone to be 100% - getting the weight off is far too important to screw around with the protocol, in my opinion. But that doesn't mean I have no sympathy for those who slip - this is hard work and people are human and I will encourage them to get right back on track. People who, for whatever reason, chose to change the protocol are adults and can make their own decisions - I wish them the best of luck and hope they are wildly successful. Doesn't mean I'm not going to continue to encourage people to stay 100% - I've been around here long enough to see a lot of people come and go and the majority of the people who have been successful on IP do so staying 100%.

Losing the weight was hard work and I paid a lot of money for the coaching and food. My thought is that I asked my family to support me in this and they did, the least I could do was do my part and do it right. I hate wasting money and just was never willing to deviate in any way that would slow me down. I wanted to be on P1 the shortest time possible and I totally accomplished that.

So tamila, this is a great board for support. The majority of the people are awesome very supportive and committed to improving their health and helping others do the same. Just like any place else, you will have those people who will rub you the wrong way, tick you off and who you won't agree with. Sounds like you already have the right mindset to stay 100% and that is most of the battle!

Time to get off my soapbox! :soap:

IP43 06-06-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SylviesGirl (Post 5018224)
It is difficult to understand, especially once you see that the plan really does work. It seems a travesty to kick it around and mistreat it like we all have with other plans. This is the answer we have all hoped and prayed for. It is difficult to watch people put that in jeopardy over a fleeting craving or situation. That said, I think it is probably safe to say that we all have been there as far as not sticking with other diet plans in the past. I do think it has something to do with being in the right space in your life -- you have to be ready.

Thanks, everybody, for the wonderful congratulations. You had me grinning as I read them all. :D

This was so nicely said. This "mental game" is the one we all struggle with. You get results with this diet -- tweaking it or not -- but 100% gets you faster results and helps you monitor where issues are. That's why I'm trying to get back there. IP is not a 'lifestyle' - I want to leave the space packs behind and be focusing on my "maintenance" plan as soon as I can

lisa32989 06-06-2014 11:33 AM

Ruth Ann
We LIKE your soapbox. You have earned that soapbox. Anyone getting to goal has.

It definitely concerns me when folks start making "tweaks" right after they start IP. I have nothing against any other plans, they just didn't work for me. But if IP needs tweaking, perhaps there is another plan more suitable to one's own style & tastes.

For myself, I was doing a CRAPPY job on my own (otherwise I wouldn't have needed IP). I was over 100 lbs overweight and living (existing) in the morbidly obese range. I needed something that worked relatively quickly and IP was hugely motivating for me. The more weight I lost, the more I was motivated to remain OP.

I cut gluten and soy protein 5 months into my 10 months on P1, due to the thyroid problems that developed. That is when I added most of the alternative products - to keep a variety. There are alternative bars and salty snacks without soy or gluten. I was very careful to make sure they matched IP nutritional stats (there is no magic in the IP packet over any other brand, if the nutrition is the same).

After returning from a vacation, I "fired" my coach by not returning to the clinic. Most of that was due to the fact that she never contacted me after I left for vacation, never texted me to see how I was doing, and didn't contact me when I returned. I guess she didn't need my money or referrals. At the same time, I was still dealing with thyroid issues and seeking a doctor who would treat the whole problem, not just put me on thyroid meds (there is a reason the thyroid started misbehaving DURING IP & I wanted to get to the root cause).

I have maintained a 90 lb weight loss for approximately a year. I'd really like to drop another 25. That will happen. For now I'm focusing on improving my thryroid health. And, as I've shared with the maintainers, I'm making this the summer to increase my fitness.

IP has taught me a lot. Had I not stuck with the rigid rules from the beginning, I can guarantee I would not have seen the same success. But that's just me ;)

schenectady 06-06-2014 12:52 PM

For me, trying my darndest to stay 100% OP comes from several different desires...not to waste a whole lot of money and time, keeping a focus on what my body needs desperately, knowing that a little taste and a little slip sent me supersonic down that slippery slope twice.

It reminds me of Einstein's supposed quote that insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results - allowing changes to the IP program for me illustrates that. Screwed up twice big time (starting with teeny slips) and cannot go there again.

So, my own personal approach, working for me, I stay 100% every place I possibly can. Yes, I do Nashua Nutrition alternatives, yes, I sometimes fail to get all my water or supplements in, but I mean making a conscious decision to open my mouth and put a food not on the program in it!

So, to get off my soapbox, just another Einstein quote:

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

Kellyc14 06-06-2014 12:55 PM

I really liked everyone's answers to Tamila. And Tamila like you, I too wondered what it meant to be 90%, what it meant to be 100%? I freaked out the other day because I was using MIO drops. It is my goal to be 100% compliant to this plan. I want this more than I have ever wanted anything and I am committed to giving it my all. I will prove to myself and everyone else that I can and will do this. Thank you all for being here. I am very thankful for each and everyone of you. I honestly don't know what I would do with out this forum. This is the ONLY support I have, the ONLY place where I can talk and share with people who understand what I am going through.

I bought a couple of new shirts the other day. I had been alternating between the three black Gap tshirts I have, and my daughter-in-law said to me,"it's about time you wear a colorful shirt, I was getting tired of seeing you in black all the time." I wanted to say, well that's all I had that fit me! but I just smiled. She doesn't understand what it's like to not fit in any of your clothes and not want to go out and buy yet another bigger size.

tamila 06-06-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipnDip (Post 5018383)
Sorry you felt I was harsh and cold. I was actually trying to be short and sweet and not get into the details on a thread where they don't want to talk about it. If you are curious about a 90%, it is best to go read there. The 100% people don't want to read or talk about cheats and in your previous post you listed quite a few of them.

I actually follow both threads because I strive for 100% but some days I haven't made it. Some 90% plan cheats and start the diet knowing they will have them. I don't view it that way at all, but I occasionally slip. I feel welcome on both threads as I don't talk about my slips on this one.

Your 100% plan is perfect and exactly what it should be for success. If you do "eff" up and need support, you will find it on the daily thread.

I understand SO much better now.

So, a few things:

1. I am SO sorry if my questions about specific cheats caused anyone to struggle. Not at all my intent, but now that I get this board (in later points) I can promise it won't happen again!

2. I thought this board was the no cheat zone, as in those committed to 100% OP and not *intending* to cheat. But I assumed that if someone slipped up they would find support from the other 100%ers here saying, "Let's get back on track!" But my understanding this is a place to only come when you are being 100% and if you slip-up then the daily thread is where to go find support; this thread is where you come back when you're back to keeping the plan perfectly. Or at least, read this to be inspired but only post the positives and victories.

3. I also assumed the 90% board was those committed to making their own adjustments to the plan. I thought asking people where I share the 100% mindset would help me know whether to avoid that board or not, whereas asking there would be more likely to cause me to question my 100% commitment. But it sounds like if I do want to understand that mentality I need to ask there. If I want to do that I need to decide if I have the mental strength to ask there and not be swayed.

So--helpful! Good to have a feel for this.

Ruth Ann 06-06-2014 01:07 PM

tamila - honest, if you slip and come here and say "I slipped, please help me get back on track I am committed to getting this right" we will support you totally! The hard part comes when people feel they need to discuss specific slips - don't want to know exactly what you did, want to know that you are committed to trying to stay 100%. So a "I'm struggling to stay 100% - help me out" is totally inline with this thread and you can be assured that the people here will give you suggestions, advice, encouragement and sometimes a little kick in the pants (when needed).

JLUS 06-06-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellyc14 (Post 5018646)
I really liked everyone's answers to Tamila. And Tamila like you, I too wondered what it meant to be 90%, what it meant to be 100%? I freaked out the other day because I was using MIO drops. It is my goal to be 100% compliant to this plan. I want this more than I have ever wanted anything and I am committed to giving it my all. I will prove to myself and everyone else that I can and will do this. Thank you all for being here. I am very thankful for each and everyone of you. I honestly don't know what I would do with out this forum. This is the ONLY support I have, the ONLY place where I can talk and share with people who understand what I am going through.

I bought a couple of new shirts the other day. I had been alternating between the three black Gap tshirts I have, and my daughter-in-law said to me,"it's about time you wear a colorful shirt, I was getting tired of seeing you in black all the time." I wanted to say, well that's all I had that fit me! but I just smiled. She doesn't understand what it's like to not fit in any of your clothes and not want to go out and buy yet another bigger size.

You can have MIO and still be here AND still be successful!

lisa32989 06-06-2014 02:09 PM

Mio is A-ok. I must limit it because it will tear up my stomach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamila (Post 5018649)
2. I thought this board was the no cheat zone, as in those committed to 100% OP and not *intending* to cheat. But I assumed that if someone slipped up they would find support from the other 100%ers here saying, "Let's get back on track!" But my understanding this is a place to only come when you are being 100% and if you slip-up then the daily thread is where to go find support; this thread is where you come back when you're back to keeping the plan perfectly. Or at least, read this to be inspired but only post the positives and victories.

Pretty close.
100%ers don't want to hear specifics of cheats. As in "I ate (or drank) xyz that was off plan". Indicating a struggle is sufficient

I believe you'll see people sharing here who say they're struggling to get to 100%. They don't tell us the particulars, just that it is a struggle. Nobody gets bashed for that. If you want to talk about WHAT you did/ate/drank, etc, then this is not the thread.

But instead of worrying about all of that, how about just focusing on staying compliant to the plan???

Kellyc14 06-06-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 5018693)
Mio is A-ok. I must limit it because it will tear up my stomach.

Pretty close.
100%ers don't want to hear specifics of cheats. As in "I ate (or drank) xyz that was off plan". Indicating a struggle is sufficient

I believe you'll see people sharing here who say they're struggling to get to 100%. They don't tell us the particulars, just that it is a struggle. Nobody gets bashed for that. If you want to talk about WHAT you did/ate/drank, etc, then this is not the thread.

But instead of worrying about all of that, how about just focusing on staying compliant to the plan???

I know that I have to stay out of the 90% thread because it messes with my head. If I see someone posting that they had a glass of wine and still lost weight, then I might be tempted to try that, it puts ideas in my head and I just don't need that. However, being OCD as I am, I can't stand to have an unread thread show up so I have to click on it. lol

I thought MIO was ok only in small quantities?