Old 05-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/205/135

Height: 5'5

Unhappy On IP for a little over 2 months...very sick?

In the last two weeks, every time I eat any of the protein packs (though some are worse) I get very bloated and I get this really horrible sharp pain in the area after your chest bones end (about where the esophagus and stomach connect) It feels so horrible I can't sit up right (have to lean back constantly) and I even get the hot and cold chills. I have nausea and it feels like hunger pains (a little) but not really, more like throwing up (though not really that either)

I take all my vitamins, takes my 3 ideal proteins a day + my supper + all my water and my salt

has anyone else got this problem?
mamanmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #2  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I hope Lisa or some other people who have had challenges will chime in for you because I don't have those problems. But I know people have mentioned that they develop sensitivities. Some have cut out various packets that have more whey (or whatever). Are you noticing it with all packets or just some? -- It would be worth monitoring to see the ingredients in the ones that bother you.

Personally, I'd see a doctor or your coach about it as they can help determine allergies, check your blood pressure and all that other "official" stuff. I know I had the "hair loss" issues and that happened about 3 months in, so our bodies do start to show changes after awhile.

Good luck. I hope you're able to figure out what it is and find a solution that will let you continue to lose weight but without pain.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanmag View Post
In the last two weeks, every time I eat any of the protein packs (though some are worse) I get very bloated and I get this really horrible sharp pain in the area after your chest bones end (about where the esophagus and stomach connect) It feels so horrible I can't sit up right (have to lean back constantly) and I even get the hot and cold chills. I have nausea and it feels like hunger pains (a little) but not really, more like throwing up (though not really that either)

I take all my vitamins, takes my 3 ideal proteins a day + my supper + all my water and my salt

has anyone else got this problem?
Besides timing of vitamins (sounds like what I get when taken on empty tummy just before food), maybe you have sensitivity to (most probable are these) soy, whey, gluten, sucralose? Check ingredients of which ones bother you the most and correlate.
I can't have gluten & had very limited selection of packets - also watch out if you do have gluten problems, because even some of their vitamins were not able to be verified Gfree. I had to use my own.

Good luck with this - maybe a few others know what might be happening.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

Honestly, it sounds like your gallbladder. I had mine removed in September. The pains usually started out mid-sternum, right below my center rib cage. I couldn't tell if I needed to vomit or have a bowel movement sometimes-- and usually it was neither. Sometimes prevacid helped or Gas-X, but in the end it was gallstones (50+ stones!). Sometimes the pains went through my chest and into my back between my shoulder blades. Mine got worse after doing low-carb dieting off and on over the last 4 years. Just a thought!
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriLeah View Post
Honestly, it sounds like your gallbladder. I had mine removed in September. The pains usually started out mid-sternum, right below my center rib cage. I couldn't tell if I needed to vomit or have a bowel movement sometimes-- and usually it was neither. Sometimes prevacid helped or Gas-X, but in the end it was gallstones (50+ stones!). Sometimes the pains went through my chest and into my back between my shoulder blades. Mine got worse after doing low-carb dieting off and on over the last 4 years. Just a thought!
I had the exact same symptoms 25 years ago and it was my gallbladder!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #6  
maintaining since 9/2013

I've known several people over the years who got gallbladder disease while on very low fat diets. I would check with a doctor.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #7  

I should have mentioned; I had my gallbladder removed 5+ years ago

Also, I am lactose intolerant, but before this, the protein packs really didn't affect me (I had been on IP a year and a half ago for a month and all was fine) and usually, my lactose intolerant symptoms was just intestine cramps and/or the runs, but nothing like the current pains I've been having lately...

I've done a little research and it's starting to sound like soy intolerance; does anyone have a soy intolerance and the pain sounds a little like mine?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:27 AM   #8  

Try cutting out soy & sucralose first
Different people are going to have different reactions. Some get hives. Yours may manifest this way. Easiest way to determine it is to eliminate & see if you feel better

Gluten could also be a factor but the typical culprits on people new to the diet and without previous sensitivities are soy and/or sucralose,
for others it could be whey or some of the other artificial sweeteners (ace-K is pretty prevalent in IP foods, too)

Last edited by lisa32989; 05-29-2014 at 12:28 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Try cutting out soy & sucralose first
Different people are going to have different reactions. Some get hives. Yours may manifest this way. Easiest way to determine it is to eliminate & see if you feel better

Gluten could also be a factor but the typical culprits on people new to the diet and without previous sensitivities are soy and/or sucralose,
for others it could be whey or some of the other artificial sweeteners (ace-K is pretty prevalent in IP foods, too)
From what I've been able to gather from the ideal protein ingredient list, only the beverages are soy-free (4 of them I like) but I can't seem to find whether or not they have any sucralose, though I suppose that a good way of testing would be to only take the soy-free drinks for a week and see from there if the pain goes away or not...

If it doesn't, I'll try removing the ones with milk products instead, again for a week, until I've found what it is that is causing this horrible uncomfortable pain...

Thank you to everyone for their replies!!! I really REALLY appreciate it!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/160.4/135

Height: 5'6

Sorry to hear this mamanmag. I have never experienced that before. If it is gluten and for those of you who need gluten free options - there is the Pro-Amino Evolution line that is gluten-free. It's a newer line from Proti-diet and most of the products are quite good. They haven't quite figured out how to make the shakes/soups easier to mix (a little lumpy) but the bars (especially the Pb and Jam) and the oatmeal are great. Just thought I would share.
tvizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/181/150

Height: 5'7'

Default Same problem, help

I've been on IP for about two months now and during the last two weeks I've had horrible stomach pain exactly where you said, the top of my stomach is what I call it. Almost like a burning pain? I also get diarrea with it. It's bad pain! I cut out soy first, still had pain, cut out sucralose and still have pain. Also tried no milk products, still pain. I'm out of options. Did you ever get this resolved and what did it end up being?
tigergirl434 is offline   Reply With Quote