Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Kellyc - so glad to hear you are feeling better
Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 268.5/231.7/175

Height: 5'6"

Thank you all for the welcomes! It's a really nice feeling to know there is somewhere that I can go and ask questions. :-) To those of us that have started today or very recently: Gr8by48, batgirl, and Kellyc14 we can do this!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 203/166/155

Height: 5'3"

I found Simply bars in my local grocery store and the cinnamon pecan flavoured ones have 15 g protein, 9g fibre, 1 g sugar (15 g carbs). I tried one and they are tastier and cheaper than the IP protein bars. Can any one tell me if they are comparable to the IP products and if they are "restricted" ? I would love to be able to have a few of these every week. Especially good when I am on the go!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1961 View Post
I found Simply bars in my local grocery store and the cinnamon pecan flavoured ones have 15 g protein, 9g fibre, 1 g sugar (15 g carbs). I tried one and they are tastier and cheaper than the IP protein bars. Can any one tell me if they are comparable to the IP products and if they are "restricted" ? I would love to be able to have a few of these every week. Especially good when I am on the go!
Sully1961 - I think that they may be too high in carbs for IP and would for that reason alone be restricted. But there are other qualifications which I could quote but it is probably better to tell you where you can read it yourself...it will help you navigate this site a bit. Check it out for calories, fat and other qualities.

If you go to the top sections of the Daily Chat, you will see that Lisa has listed links to the information needed most. Mid way down is the information on Alternatives with a following link to check if they meet the requirements of IP.

Lisa has also posted it on 5-16-2014 under the Alternatives thread, part 4.

The Internet shows this for the information:
Calories 160
Fat Calories 30

Total Fat 4 g 6%
Saturated Fat 0.5 g 3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 140 mg 6%
Potassium 60 mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 16 g 5%
Fiber 4 g 15%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 16 g

Last edited by schenectady; 05-19-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #20  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemum View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for IP-friendly fast food options? I'm concerned about evening protein, mostly. I can do hard boiled eggs from the grocery store on some days, but my options might be limited on other days. I'm pretty sure that my weight loss will stop if I eat a bun less burger nightly for two weeks!

-- salads from any restaurant (eg even Subway has a salad -no need to get the buns)
-- salads from any grocery store
-- WF dressing packs a great idea as they don't need a fridge (scary) but you can get dressing packs in a groc. store like the Renees Tuscan Italian -- comparable enough

Someone warned me that the chicken, even grilled, in restaurants can be plumped up with sugar water so if you have your own chicken to add that's great. In a pinch, for a 2 week holiday, I'd just get the grilled chicken.

Any restaurant has an option for you I'm sure. Just be picky and ask for what you want - ask them to take the cheese and tomatoes off the salad, dressing on the side etc. If you need to use the "allergy" excuse, you can say that to ensure you're gluten free

Just do your best and enjoy your holiday. You'll be able to find things. Don't stress

If you can bring your mini-blender, you can buy frozen spinach etc. to add to RTD shakes for your brekkie if that is something you usually do. They sell the spinach in ice cube shapes OR solid chunks. Get the cubes and voila! your smoothie is ready to go! All hotels will have an ice machine if you don't want to use the spinach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8by48 View Post
Hi all! If I use some of a drink in my coffee to replace the half and half I normally use, how do I deal with that in terms of my allotted "packets"? I am using alternatives and got some RTD French vanilla to use for coffee. I have 2 mugs of coffee daily and I just used maybe 6ozs split between the two.

If this belongs on newbies questions, mods feel free to move.

~journey on~
suggestions: Switch to decaf = less water to drink
-- try some flavour shots for coffee. My hubby likes my DaVinci Irish Cream flavour
-- switch to 2%, 1%, Skim if you really can't quit the cream and wean yourself off

Personally, my only indulgence is my coffee and I splash my 1% in it. I couldn't stand the IP stuff in the coffee as I don't like sugar and it made it to sweet. This has always made me 99% in my mind when I'm OP but I like to "round up"

Quote:
Read them carefully. I remember a few weren't restricted (I think maybe the one with lemon coconut in it?) but most have carbs too high to be non-restricted. It depends if you're someone who is counting net carbs and subtracts the fibre or someone who just looks at the carb count as is.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #21  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Happy Long Weekend to us Canucks -- I love me a 3 day weekend!
Just had mushroom caps stuffed with flavoured burger meat cooked on the bar-b.... ymmm. An easy thing to do and so yummy
Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLT View Post
Does anyone know how proti-thin bar-b-q chips compare in volume to IP? IP seems to have a lot (which I like for a snack). Thanks!
I answered this in the Alternative Thread with additional details about things to look for when selecting an alternative for restricted and unrestricted.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Quote:
Jump on the alternative thread Part 4. The first post gives you the guidelines and I just posted some additional info you may want to use (just a few more details to go on). I can't tell if you gave the net carbs as 15 (after subtracting the 9 grams of fiber). Check out the thread and if you have more questions just post there and we will see it!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8by48 View Post
Hi all! If I use some of a drink in my coffee to replace the half and half I normally use, how do I deal with that in terms of my allotted "packets"? I am using alternatives and got some RTD French vanilla to use for coffee. I have 2 mugs of coffee daily and I just used maybe 6ozs split between the two.
You might want to just split the entire drink between the 2 cups of coffee and either count the packet as breakfast or your snack.

How many packets are you having per day?
At your current weight, you should be planning on four per day.

In the IP clinic manual, it's listed this way:

201-240 pounds = 4 packets/day
241-280 pounds = 5 packets/day
281-320 pounds = 6 packets/day

Of course, still only 1 of those is restricted.
The first week, any weight is encouraged to use an extra packet if necessary, so that could be up to five for you.

I agree with the advice to start cutting back on amount of vanilla drink you add to coffee.

Quote:
Simply Bars are PERFECT for a restricted. I buy the Simply Whey b/c I restrict soy and gluten.

They have a LOT more flavors than they did when I started using them (I've mostly curtailed bar use). They also have Simply Chips, which also work for restricted. Easier to find in Canada because they're a Canadian company but I've found them at a Health Food store in St Louis.

One of the Simply Bars I looked at had 15 g carbs but 9 were fiber (6 g net carbs) and 160 cals. That one would actually work as a top limit for unrestricted. Just watch your labels carefully with the info from the Alternative Product thread.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #25  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

So I realize that this comes right from IP, but my clinic has always told me only 3 packets a day and a 4th (preferably a lower carb one) if I feel really hungry (particularly in the first week) or if I exercise. Now that I'm so close to 200 it's probably moot, but according to this I should have started at 4 packets a day. I haven't had a problem feeling hungry, and a lot of times have trouble getting in all of my food but I'm wondering if being at 3 packets a day the whole way through will affect my future losses? I've been losing 3+ pounds a week consistently...expecting a lower loss at my WI tomorrow but I know that fluctuation is a part of it and I've been a bit dehydrated. Any ideas on why they would limit me to three packets even though I'm over 200? I'll also check with my coach tomorrow.

Last edited by pishposhappelsauce; 05-19-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Anadan- Yes WE CAN DO THIS!! :-) I like that we get an ip packet for lunch that makes things so easy, all you have to do is bring your veggies. I am going to have to learn how to get creative with that. It's easy when it's a soup, you can just ad your veggies.

I'm getting a lot of flack from my coworkers. One of them is the reason I gained so much weight, she brings me food everyday. She can't stand that I am doing ip, she is very verbal about it too. But that just makes me want to try harder!

Give me a month and she'll be wanting to start ip herself!!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 206/185/155-135

Height: 5ft

Happy Monday Everyone!!!
To those who have just started....You can do it. I am in the middle of my second week doing the IP diet. I don't currently use alternatives however last week I tried to use the eas drinks but my coach was....lets just say less than happy with me. Haha I totally understand tho. I mean they are there to make money. So I will push on and not report any alternatives I may use.

I have a teenage daughter who is over weight. She has a hard time being honest with herself. So I suggested she start by having NO SUGAR. That went over well for one day. Then she came to me and begged me to help her. She wants to do this with me but I just cannot afford IP for two. What should I do? Right now I agreed to let her do an alternative IP diet. As long as she keeps up with her water veggies and vitamins. What do you all think?

PS
Is the Cookbook worth buying from IP?

Last edited by GlitterSlayer; 05-19-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #28  
Journey On

S/C/G: 240.0/240.0/150

Quote:
You might want to just split the entire drink between the 2 cups of coffee and either count the packet as breakfast or your snack.

The first week, any weight is encouraged to use an extra packet if necessary, so that could be up to five for you.

I agree with the advice to start cutting back on amount of vanilla drink you add to coffee.
OK, thanks for this very informative piece. So it looks here like I would be allowed 4 packets a day at an IP clinic, till I get down to 200? Wow, that is kind of a relieve actually, because one of things I remember from my previous attempt at IP was that I was always feeling hungry, and I was always eagerly anticipating my next "packet". I also made the mistake of not utilizing the "unlimited lettuce" deal. Won't be making that mistake again

~journey on~
Old 05-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #29  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce View Post
So I realize that this comes right from IP, but my clinic has always told me only 3 packets a day and a 4th (preferably a lower carb one) if I feel really hungry (particularly in the first week) or if I exercise. Now that I'm so close to 200 it's probably moot, but according to this I should have started at 4 packets a day. I haven't had a problem feeling hungry, and a lot of times have trouble getting in all of my food but I'm wondering if being at 3 packets a day the whole way through will affect my future losses? I've been losing 3+ pounds a week consistently...expecting a lower loss at my WI tomorrow but I know that fluctuation is a part of it and I've been a bit dehydrated. Any ideas on why they would limit me to three packets even though I'm over 200? I'll also check with my coach tomorrow.
I wouldn't worry about it. I started at 257 and only used 3 packs the entire time I was losing (excluding when I had surgery and went up to 4 because that's pretty much all I was eating and needed the extra protein for healing) and still averaged a loss of 10 pounds a month. So I don't think it will slow your future losses at all.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
One of the Simply Bars I looked at had 15 g carbs but 9 were fiber (6 g net carbs) and 160 cals. That one would actually work as a top limit for unrestricted. Just watch your labels carefully with the info from the Alternative Product thread.
I love the Simply bars because I don't have to worry about gluten and a huge list of weird ingredients or sugar alcohols in them. The Lemon Coconut one is the lowest I believe for carbs but there is a fair amount of fiber in there so it brings it down to 6g. Seems to be the most 'healthy natural' bar I've found around that works for IP.

I'd recommend them for once in a while, but check the website for the other bar Nutrition Facts to make sure. You can order them online. I used in P1 - and still use occasionally in maintenance - Vega Tropical Tango Protein Smoothie powder. 0g fat, 90 cal, 3g net carb, 15g protein. Pretty tasty & works out to $1.00/serving if you buy the big envelope for $17.
Closed Thread