IP Weekend chat Saturday 5/17 - Sunday 5/18/2014

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • HOLY MOLY! I just tried the Syntrax Matrix mint cookie and spinach shake! I am IN-FREAKI'N LOVE! Absolutely stunned that I could not taste the spinach - and I really LOVE spinach, but I was so hesitant to try it because I made the wrongful assumption it would make me gag. How absolutely wrong was I!
  • Quote: Hope everyone has a great weekend. My challenge for the weekend is going to a baseball game today and tomorrow. Not so much the food at the ballpark but having a cold beer. Oh well, I'll just have lots of ice water. Luckily we can take food and drinks with us, so I can bring lots of water, IP product and zucchini chips for a meal while there. I can do this! Go Rangers (even though they are playing terrible right now).
    What are Zucchini chips? I have 5 large zucchinis in my fridge right now, and would love to know how to make these!

Have fun at the game!
  • Quote: Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh this morning! Hooray. I have finally passed into the 180's after struggling for a long time in the 190's.

I am four pounds away from leaving the BMI level for "obese" and moving into mere "overweight". To be under 30% BMI will be very exciting for me as I started high over 50%.

Now I see my signature on here and see 29 pounds to goal and I realize that I am getting closer and closer to being just a normal weight and looking like everyone around who doesn't get pitying or scornful looks in public.

To remember those looks and being treated as if I was stupid ('cause all fat people are stupid, right?) is painful but a valuable reminder of where I do not ever want to go again. Powerful motivation to keep going.....I have more shopping in my closet to go...
    Whooosh! Congrats! You've been working hard and deserve it!

I know what you mean about the way people look at overweight people -- if they look at them at all. I remember feeling absolutely invisible most of the time. Now, when people catch my eye and give me a smile, I like it, but I also realize that these are the people that, more than likely, would have completely ignored me a year ago. Crazy.
  • Quote: What are Zucchini chips? I have 5 large zucchinis in my fridge right now, and would love to know how to make these!
    It is best if you google the zucchini chips or experiment. I am not a "recipe" person and I have burnt many a batch, and made many a soggy batch as well. When you get them right though....mmmmmm!

A few tips: (someone will correct me I know!)

-- Slice as thin and evenly as possible for even cooking. Using a mandolin is a great tool that saves time and frustration. The thinner the crispier
    -- some people get rid of the "water" in the zuchinni but putting them in a paper towel for a bit.
    -- spritz with an oil spritzer for a crispier version. A sprinkle of spice or salt is always yummy!

Cooking: some people cook on lower for longer to dry them out more. Other people cook higher for less time. I burnt less when I did the lower for longer. I know other people say 45 min or something but mine always took over an hour to start to get crispy enough for me.

FINAL TIPS -- 1) make more than you think you want because they won't last when everyone else eats them!

2) There is a microwave tray that lets you make them in only 6 minutes! However, you can only make like 6 chips at a time so 5 zuchinnis worth would be "oven" style. I do love my micro tray though (It was a gift but I think they bought it for me from Epicure -- a "spice" home party company)
  • We just got a BBQ invite from some friends. I'm bringing a green salad and a veggie tray. My plans for eating well continue, whether I'm on P1 or not! I would never have learned to do all this advance-planning had I not stuck on P1 through tough times (summer cookouts, year-round holidays, special occasions). Once I learned how to do it, planning and sticking with P1 became second nature. Thank goodness the planning still is!

Quote: IP43 it has great your coach will let you start back at no fee. I think most of us found our way here because we need the accountability and support. I highly recommend it using a coach if he or she is a good one. At my center it is a $350 start up fee and $20 a week for coaching and then of course the packet costs. Not cheap but then neither is the cost of medical care if we get sick from poor diet related ailments. Good luck. Thanks for sharing.
    Wait. what?
    The cost of the food is supposed to pay the coach (which is why the price is inflated)
    My one-time startup cost was about 350 but it included the first week's food, shaker, and materials.
    No cost for WIs (even on the bioimpedence scale, which some coaches charge for). The only charge was the weekly food. This food is not that expensive. The mark-up is to pay the coach.

I see a rip-off. I wonder what IP corporate would say about a $20 weekly WI fee? I'd call and ask if I were you. Are you getting anything else for the $20? Blood or other lab work? massage? Chiro adjustment? I'm serious here...

I bet you might be able to find another Chicagoland clinic without the exhorbitant fees...
  • The initial start up covers 12 coaching sessions, after that you have to re-up with another fee at my clinic. Pretty sure IP corporate knows, because my clinic was one of their award winners last year.
  • Quote: What are Zucchini chips? I have 5 large zucchinis in my fridge right now, and would love to know how to make these!

Have fun at the game!

There are tons of recipes on Pinterest for zucchini chips. Essentially they are zucchini sliced thin and tossed with olive oil and seasoning then baked. I actually used a dehydrator today and they turned out very crispy.
  • Yesterday was traumatic, my family is experiencing a crisis and I didn't eat anything yesterday and I maybe got 64oz of water in. Today I feel terrible, but I'm sure crying and long day plays into that. I can't really go into detail about what's going on, but its the kind of thing that makes you sick to your stomach. It's worse than when my dad passed away last year. I am trying hard to eat my foods and veggies today. I think I'm going to take a nap.
  • Quote: The initial start up covers 12 coaching sessions, after that you have to re-up with another fee at my clinic. Pretty sure IP corporate knows, because my clinic was one of their award winners last year.
    Quote: Wait. what?
    The cost of the food is supposed to pay the coach (which is why the price is inflated)
    My one-time startup cost was about 350 but it included the first week's food, shaker, and materials.
    No cost for WIs (even on the bioimpedence scale, which some coaches charge for). The only charge was the weekly food. This food is not that expensive. The mark-up is to pay the coach.

I see a rip-off. I wonder what IP corporate would say about a $20 weekly WI fee? I'd call and ask if I were you. Are you getting anything else for the $20? Blood or other lab work? massage? Chiro adjustment? I'm serious here...

I bet you might be able to find another Chicagoland clinic without the exhorbitant fees...

It's crazy to me that IP doesn't maintain tighter control over the fees and prices clinics and offices that carry their product can charge, especially clinics where the ONLY thing they do is IP. Perhaps though the market is just so saturated with different diet centers (Weight Watchers, Medifast, etc etc) that it wouldn't be appealing to people to start these businesses or carry the product if it was very strict.
  • Quote: Yesterday was traumatic, my family is experiencing a crisis and I didn't eat anything yesterday and I maybe got 64oz of water in. Today I feel terrible, but I'm sure crying and long day plays into that. I can't really go into detail about what's going on, but its the kind of thing that makes you sick to your stomach. It's worse than when my dad passed away last year. I am trying hard to eat my foods and veggies today. I think I'm going to take a nap.
    Amber - I am so unhappy to hear that you are facing such a challenge. My thoughts are with you.

I am glad to hear that you are dealing with it in a way that I hope will make you feel better, even if it is in the days to come. For many of us, the knowledge and ability to handle emotional issues is something we need to develop in order to succeed in losing AND keeping the weight off.

A nap is probably a good idea on two fronts - it will keep you from thinking about food and it may offer you some restorative powers.
  • Today was my nephew's graduation (so proud of him, cue the water works again!) and we had a BBQ afterwards. I'm used to saying no to food because I have to be gluten free, but what I did is pack my lunch tote with some slices of ham, shakes, bars, and my Kay's Naturals Kruncheez. Was it too much? Probably, but I had it all right there. Long story short, I had a hamburger patty between pieces of lettuce and ate some pickles on the side. I was stuffed from that and the Kruncheez. I kept to iced water and did great.

Now I'm sipping on my spinach shake at home after getting my cauliflower ready for "rice" later. YUM!
  • Quote: Today was my nephew's graduation (so proud of him, cue the water works again!) and we had a BBQ afterwards. I'm used to saying no to food because I have to be gluten free, but what I did is pack my lunch tote with some slices of ham, shakes, bars, and my Kay's Naturals Kruncheez. Was it too much? Probably, but I had it all right there. Long story short, I had a hamburger patty between pieces of lettuce and ate some pickles on the side. I was stuffed from that and the Kruncheez. I kept to iced water and did great.

Now I'm sipping on my spinach shake at home after getting my cauliflower ready for "rice" later. YUM!
    You did GREAT! Congrats!
  • Quote: Yesterday was traumatic, my family is experiencing a crisis and I didn't eat anything yesterday and I maybe got 64oz of water in. Today I feel terrible, but I'm sure crying and long day plays into that. I can't really go into detail about what's going on, but its the kind of thing that makes you sick to your stomach. It's worse than when my dad passed away last year. I am trying hard to eat my foods and veggies today. I think I'm going to take a nap.
    I am so sorry. You know, if you DO decide to put the diet on hold due to these circumstances, nobody would think less of you. I'm not suggesting you do either, but I hope you aren't placing undue pressure on yourself during such a difficult time. If all you can get down is a slice of dry toast, don't forego food just to stay OP. If you can eat some boiled chicken breast (read:bland) and some steamed broccoli, try doing that. It will keep you OP, and you will gain sustenance. Whatever you decide, please eat something. Anxiety and grief can impact your metabolism as well as your ability to handle trauma and its effects.

Be good to you.

• Quote: Amber - I am so unhappy to hear that you are facing such a challenge. My thoughts are with you.

I am glad to hear that you are dealing with it in a way that I hope will make you feel better, even if it is in the days to come. For many of us, the knowledge and ability to handle emotional issues is something we need to develop in order to succeed in losing AND keeping the weight off.

A nap is probably a good idea on two fronts - it will keep you from thinking about food and it may offer you some restorative powers.
    Quote: I am so sorry. You know, if you DO decide to put the diet on hold due to these circumstances, nobody would think less of you. I'm not suggesting you do either, but I hope you aren't placing undue pressure on yourself during such a difficult time. If all you can get down is a slice of dry toast, don't forego food just to stay OP. If you can eat some boiled chicken breast (read:bland) and some steamed broccoli, try doing that. It will keep you OP, and you will gain sustenance. Whatever you decide, please eat something. Anxiety and grief can impact your metabolism as well as your ability to handle trauma and its effects.

Be good to you.

Thanks ladies, wanting to eat is not a problem. I'm sickened by what's going on. I laid in bed with my kids for a few hours, not really sleeping just resting. I still don't feel great, but it's almost bed time and I will be able to take my sleeping pill and get some rest. It's been a trying weekend. I managed to make a pretty awesome dinner though for the kids and I. Everyone ate and enjoyed, and I've made sure to get my water in today. We did a 5k color run/walk this morning to keep our minds off of things.
  • AmberLS: Take deep slow breaths and try to get out for a walk with the kids in nature, somewhere like a park. I hope you are all keeping safe...
    As far as the diet goes, just remember to try & eat as healthy as you can and get enough water and rest if possible. You need to keep yourself strong - just from the word usage you wrote, I have some idea of what you may be going through... focus on the kids & keeping their life as normal as possible.
    Talk it out with a therapist if you need to.